When a treatment isn't popular

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
How long do you give a treatment to take of before deciding it's not going to work no matter how much marketing/promotion you do?

The reason I ask is I've been trying to get waxing to take of but all my treatments are massage and facials - not sure if I should just put all my energies into my body/face treatments and push those and stop offering waxing?

There is a hairdressers/beauty salon in the same village as me that offers nails and waxing so sometimes I feel I'm flogging a dead horse.

If I were you, I would continue offering waxing services. It is unusual that they aren't as popular as facials and massages, etc. What have you to lose in keeping the service on offer?

I am really surprised that waxing isn't popular in your salon,it's one of the most popular treatments in our salon and for many other salons.

Are you competant with it??Do you feel happy waxing??Sorry I am not trying to be rude.

I certainly wouldn't stop offering waxing,after all its no hardship keeping your wax pot on is it?

I wish I had more facials and massage to do, the majority of my work in the salon seems to be waxing especially eyebrows.

I'd keep it on your treatment list. It is a very popular treatment, and worth keeping up. Maybe do a special offer to get people to try it. How long have you been offering it for?

I've been offering it since January. Am I am good waxer??? I'm OK, it wouldn't be my number passion, it never has been, so that probably tells u everything.

I'm much much better at massaging - that's my passion, dispersing knots makes me happy. I'd rather do a full body massage than a bikini wax. I'm probably sending out vibes for people not to come to me for waxing lol

The place I rent is in a holistic healing centre so people come there to to 'healed' and relaxed. I'll think about it when I get back from my hols.

This is an example of my day last Friday (that would be a really good thread an example of your day!!!)
1pm Reflexology
2pm 1 hour back massage
3.30pm Back treatment
4pm Back Massage
5pm 1 1/2 hr massage
7pm Reflexology
8pm Pregnancy massage

Hi francesXXX
As you are in a holistic centre i can certainly see why massage and skincare is more popular.
However look at it this way your costs are much lower at massage than waxing surely:green:

Do you enjoy these treatments?
Are you an advert for waxing??
Do you have any literature you can give to clients about waxing,ie the benefits and such like.
hth

i think from the sounds of it the reason you're not getting the waxing clients is due to the place you are, its not the first place you would think of to recieve that kind of treatment. I wouldn't stop offering the treatment as you never know who might turn up tommorow, don't get down about it though, summers coming, best time for waxing clients! xxx

I am finding with my recently opened business that my returning clients trust me more and more with each visit and I am ending up performing most of their treatments each time they visit.

It sounds as if your clients already have huge faith and trust in you, and with summer just around the corner I expect your waxing will pick up big time.

As your not over keen on waxing, i expect your clients pick up on that. Also we tend to be good at the things we enjoy, for you thats obviously massage. I'm not saying that you're a bad waxer, how would i know? I'm just saying that clients can tell if you enjoy your work and thats part of the reason they come back.

As one or two of the others have said, your salon is more of a holistic centre so that is how your clients see you, maybe put waxing on promotion for a while, make people aware that it is something you offer aswell as the lovely body treatments. I definatly wouldn't take it off the menu altogether or you could loose out on new clients, like babs said it doesn't cost you alot to keep the wax pot on.:green:

I don't do waxing hun, I just do nails but I definitely wouldn't not offer the service.

Although your passion is massaging still keep the waxing on offer, that just makes sense to me. As said before, maybe people pick up on the fact that you're not that into it.

I know when i get to do nail art I get totally excited about it and feel a little deflated sometimes when all people want is just a plain set (nothing wrong with natural looking set mind).

Just my opinion though!

HTH Teri x:hug:

still early days though if you only started in jan.
maybe try offering a free eyebrow wax with other treatments as a taster for your clients.
only takes 10 mins and very little in materials. i do a lot of brows for my nail clients.

still early days though if you only started in jan.
maybe try offering a free eyebrow wax with other treatments as a taster for your clients.
only takes 10 mins and very little in materials. i do a lot of brows for my nail clients.
This is exactly what i was going to suggest, offer a free eyebrow wax with your most popular treatment so that you target more clients, it will cost you very little and just might work out well :hug:

I wouldn't stop offering it. You've trained, you've got all the kit. I think the eyebrow freebie is an excellent idea. Or maybe how about a half price first waxing treatment for any of your current clients, don't offer it to any old body who walks in off the street, just your present clients, this will make them feel that the offer is more special. Put a time limit on it (but don't make it the end of summer :lol: )! Good luck.

hi,

we usually put on a different special offers up each month, say if its quiet for something we'll offer that special offer along with whatever else we were also planning. For example for summer were planning to offer gel toenails as its a fairly new treatment in our salon and with summer, clients already get pedicures but gel toenails are an added extra that could last through the summer with a little upkeep. Sorry nothing to do with waxing but hope you get my point.
Anyway with summer coming up you will probley get alot of wax bookings, I know most salons get very busy in summer for waxing ie holidays etc.

i think from the sounds of it the reason you're not getting the waxing clients is due to the place you are, its not the first place you would think of to recieve that kind of treatment. I wouldn't stop offering the treatment as you never know who might turn up tommorow, don't get down about it though, summers coming, best time for waxing clients! xxx

this is great advice

Latest posts

Back