White hands/feet after spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with hands going too dark I'm the opposite way there not dark enough. I'm a strange one haha

I've done my sister at 2pm today (so 4 hours ago) she's just text & said she's going browner by the minute but her hands are still white, she's washing off at 9.30pm as she's going out tonight, do you think by any chance they'll just decide to turn brown lol

I had another lady last week say her hands & feet weren't dark enough but not to worry as she topped them up with a tanning mousse she had at home, im not wanting my clients to have to resort to this by the way, i want to get to the bottom of it & try put it right. & about 2 weeks ago my friend had a tan she never said anything but we went shopping a few days after & I couldn't help notice her hands were way lighter than the rest of her :eek:

so here's how I do hands/feet - I put a very tiny (yes tiny) bit of barrier cream rubbed in really well over hands/feet, I rub it on the clients myself just so I know they haven't applied too much. I spray all the body & leave hands & feet until last.

hands I ask them to make a claw shape I spray in 3 sections down the hand at a distance (wouldn't know exactly the distance without measuring lol) but it's further away than when I do the body but not too far away.

for feet I do a v shape & then once down the middle of foot to try blend in with the leg/ankle if you see what I mean.

I've asked my sis if she's washed her hands after the toilet or washed any pots up with out realising & she's sworn she hasn't. I asked the lady last week the same & she said no too so I'm miffed.
shall i drop the barrier cream altogether? maybe go in a tad closer? any advice would be great :) x

hi i never use barrier cream on hands and feet i just spray over them lightly, but to be honest i prefer them lighter as when u tan in general ur hands and feet are never as dark as the body, and i think u can easy go wrong and it looks un natural if they are too dark. just my opinion though!

Ive never had a problem with hands going too dark I'm the opposite way there not dark enough. I'm a strange one haha

I've done my sister at 2pm today (so 4 hours ago) she's just text & said she's going browner by the minute but her hands are still white, she's washing off at 9.30pm as she's going out tonight, do you think by any chance they'll just decide to turn brown lol

I had another lady last week say her hands & feet weren't dark enough but not to worry as she topped them up with a tanning mousse she had at home, im not wanting my clients to have to resort to this by the way, i want to get to the bottom of it & try put it right. & about 2 weeks ago my friend had a tan she never said anything but we went shopping a few days after & I couldn't help notice her hands were way lighter than the rest of her :eek:

so here's how I do hands/feet - I put a very tiny (yes tiny) bit of barrier cream rubbed in really well over hands/feet, I rub it on the clients myself just so I know they haven't applied too much. I spray all the body & leave hands & feet until last.

hands I ask them to make a claw shape I spray in 3 sections down the hand at a distance (wouldn't know exactly the distance without measuring lol) but it's further away than when I do the body but not too far away.

for feet I do a v shape & then once down the middle of foot to try blend in with the leg/ankle if you see what I mean.

I've asked my sis if she's washed her hands after the toilet or washed any pots up with out realising & she's sworn she hasn't. I asked the lady last week the same & she said no too so I'm miffed.
shall i drop the barrier cream altogether? maybe go in a tad closer? any advice would be great :) x

Ive always use the nouvatan cream on the hands gives you a much better finish maybe give them an extra mist over x

Snap! My tans turn out lovely apart from the hands and feet!! Was told in my training the over spray would get them but when I started spraying everyone loved there tans but said there hands and feet were White.:-(
So anyway now I spray them but only lightly and they are still alot lighter!can't wait to read the rest of the comments on this thread so I can get some ideas on how to do this properly!Xx

Personally I've only offered barrier cream if they have particularly dry skin and sprayed as normal, so for hands I continue from the arms (I do the v flick off on the back ofthe wrists to avoid the palms and wrist build up) same with feet just continue from leg. Never had a problem, try it on your sister again (not paying clients) and see if the result is better.

here's the pic of my sisters white hand :eek: how embarrassing, I told her don't tell anyone I did your tan lol I'm now ditching the barrier cream, it's caused me nothing but problems since using it on hands & feet.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328862847.764319.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328862847.764319.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 719
Snap! My tans turn out lovely apart from the hands and feet!! Was told in my training the over spray would get them but when I started spraying everyone loved there tans but said there hands and feet were White.:-(
So anyway now I spray them but only lightly and they are still alot lighter!can't wait to read the rest of the comments on this thread so I can get some ideas on how to do this properly!Xx

I've never understood how the overspray catches the hands & tans them? I don't have very much overspray at all so not sure that would work for me tbh x

Ive always use the nouvatan cream on the hands gives you a much better finish maybe give them an extra mist over x

hi Lisa, do you mean the nouvatan self tan cream or the nouvatan barrier cream? thanks x

How has it turned out today, any better? I always use barrier cream, but I've never had hands this White xx

Aw it looks like she wore gloves during the spraying. Ditch the barrier cream. Use it on the palms and wrist area and very sparingly on knees, elbows, knuckles,ankles IF they have dry skin.

As long as your spraying evenly over the whole body it shouldn't gather, if your worried, do a light even spray over the hands and feet, but DO cover them (don't rely on overspray)

Aw it looks like she wore gloves during the spraying. Ditch the barrier cream. Use it on the palms and wrist area and very sparingly on knees, elbows, knuckles,ankles IF they have dry skin.

As long as your spraying evenly over the whole body it shouldn't gather, if your worried, do a light even spray over the hands and feet, but DO cover them (don't rely on overspray)

Thanks debs, I've done my friend this morning & I didn't use barrier cream on her at all. I sprayed her hands & feet a bit closer but they were still white :eek: is it me doing something wrong? she sat at mine for 2 hours afterwards having a coffee & a natter, I checked her over just as she was leaving my house & hands & feet were still white. will they develop over the course of the day do you think? ill get her to send me a photo tonight i think, thanks x

How has it turned out today, any better? I always use barrier cream, but I've never had hands this White xx

hi princess Layla, that photo I posted above were her hands this morning nearly 24 hours after I originally tanned her xx

To be honest I don't really know if you say there's no product on them and you are spraying as normal I can't see a reason? Are you using the 'claw' method? If so just tell them to keep hands flat but with fingers spread and continue the spray from the arm at the same distance. It should look even even straight away after spraying. I spray arms by getting the client to put their arms straight and down slightly then spray vertically from outer edge (from shoulders all the length of arm to tips of fingers), usually takes three vertical sprays overlapping slightly. Same with feet, full length only slightly pulling back for the feet as they tend to have drier skin.

What barrier cream are you using?

Hello, i found i had this problem so i put barrier cream just a tiny bit on the palms of the hand and a little around the heels i dont no about everyone but i always do two coats of tan every where and only one spray over hands and feet and its worked out perfect everytime since my misshap.....hope you find ya solution xx

i only use the barrier cream on toes and nuckles. not all over feet and hands. I had a girl in yesterday who i told to put the moisturiser in the relevant places. she only goes n puts vasalene on, thick aswell. took about 20 mins to scrub it all off. well and truly removed from the room now x

I always use barrier cream I use sienna x and the allows tan to tan through and always spray in a circle motion xxx

Long shot here but - could it have anything to do with her circulation?! Read somewhere about a lady with a large bust who's tan would never take in this area, so they used to warm the area with a hot water bottle? !!
I've never experienced anything like this unless there was some sort of barrier, what hand wash/ soap does she use?! Were her feet the same 2nd time round! Xx

Where's baggybear when you need her!

Last edited:
here's some pics of my friends tan I did today - after wash off the hand is again much lighter. the pic of the palm was maybe because I avoided barrier cream completely. I'll get it right one day soon!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328897102.155678.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328897102.155678.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 230
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328897138.376167.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1328897138.376167.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 188

Latest posts

Back