Who is your model?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is your model?

• Another nail tech

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • A friend who doesn`t do nails

Votes: 145 68.4%
  • A client

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • I don`t have one as I`m not interested in further training or competitions

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters
When I say I prefer to have my technician friends as models, it is NOT so we can get 2 for the price of 1. Both my models also take regular classes, one already having her Masters and the other working towards it. I wouldn't have another tech as a model if she had no intention of taking further classes herself. It is not to get 2 for the price of 1 - I would understand training academies getting upset at that!

Omg I can see ive not worded my repy too well at all:eek:

2 for 1 is not great wording at all is it !!!! and im probably going to dig myself further here as im rubbish at trying to explain things... its just that id rather take someone who could maybe learn something from the day too, these courses are not cheap - and yes this is not their OMLY training by any means, just an opportunity for additional learning, as well as the training they take themselves - i love both the training and being a model myself because of just this - and visa versa when i have been a model it is to help out a friend but also i love the fact that i will probably come away with some new learnings too

OMG what have i done - sorry all:Scared:

kx

NailNovice2 said:
When I say I prefer to have my technician friends as models, it is NOT so we can get 2 for the price of 1. Both my models also take regular classes, one already having her Masters and the other working towards it. I wouldn't have another tech as a model if she had no intention of taking further classes herself. It is not to get 2 for the price of 1 - I would understand training academies getting upset at that!

When i trained at college i used friends as my models as it was in the evening they were able to come. When it came to my conversion i got let down by a few people and at the last minute ended up doing my conversion on my nail trainer (not ideal, but all i had at short notice).

So training is quite difficult for me coz the only person i can rely on is my mum but she wouldn't be able to come coz she would be looking after my daughter if i'm training.....:mad: :sad:

I know what you are saying Karren - When you model, you kinda get to do the classes twice - when you model and when you attend the class as a student yourself. I think that is a great opportunity and one I am glad to give my models. I also think that a tech being a model may be putting off their further classes for a variety of reasons but, by being a model, they come away with all their enthusiasm renewed. It also kinda eases my conscience that the models get something out of it themselves as well as supporting me.

Every one I have as models alway seem to have difficult nails to train on. Not that it's a bad thing cause it all adds to the experience. My Mum has large fan nails that have the most horrendous ridges in them, My daughter has the tiniest nails with very dry cuticles, my neice is a nail biter! All very difficult to work on but the challange is rewarding. BUT now I have the best neighbour who has models hands to die for. :p Can even make my nails look good. :rolleyes: Jules

Debs said:
I wondered how many of you like me only have other nail techs as a model for training courses and competition work.
I for one think taking a client on a training course is unprofessional and my non tech friends and family have 9 to 5 jobs.
Besides which I think only another tech can relate to how you feel, offer you all the support you need and is more than the pair of hands you`re working on and wouldn`t be bored or upset at the mess you sometimes make of their nails.
I`d love to see what you all think of this and who you take along to training courses with you

I always use my wee cousin - she loves getting pampered and never moans at having them soaked off and another set put on..she's a wee sweetie.

i use my sister although she has really skinny hands and nails, - lovely long nail beds! She's a student so is available when need be!

Im really glad to read the messages on this post. I am in the process of booking my Brisa conversion course (Birmingham Creative Nail Academy) and I was wondering who would be best to take with me as a model.

My sister hates nails !!, my mum although I love her isn't the most supportive type and really really critical !!... so maybe a fellow nail tech will be the answer ?

my mums the same - she could find a fault in perfection she could!!
anyway she bites her nails real bad so shes a deffo no no!!!

I have always used friends who didn't do nails but I now think that it is probably better using a nail tech as a model because they can give you constructive critism:green:

Exactly deb! and when my time comes to enter comps i'll give u a shout lmao

Cant wait till im a model :green:

I clicked a friend who doesn't do nails but thats not strictly true.
she is my friend but she is also my daughter Kay. Wouldn't dream of takeing any one else, she's been with me from the start.

Hey Trin

If I am free I will always be happy to be your model, you do great nails and its such a great experience for me to.

You have tought me loads, along with Ketan and the gang in Acton. Just wish i had more free time to do courses myself. But I must make time as think its so important to keep up to date.

You never know I might need you to be my model one day!!!

xx

I couldn't pick anything out of the poll......when I was training in school clients would come to me with the understanding I was in school and we were training.....but as I have kept pace with furthering my education I now bring family members......when I need them

:grr: When I was first starting out I used my mum!!! BIG mistake for me!! Ha ha. She moaned all the time. Always telling me I was hurting her even when I was really gentle. Saying that she doesn't really like nail enhancements. As time went on I starting practicing on a friend. Who was brilliant to work on. She was always very very honest with me. I also now practice on two of my cousins one who has done nails in the past but packed it in and one who is currenlty working towards NVQ 3 in beauty therapy. They too have been really honest with me. Both in fact telling me I was too gentle!!!! Thanks mum!!:rolleyes:

I need people to be true with me. I even get them to write a comment on a consultation form. Then I phone them a couple of days later to check if there is any lifting or any other problems.

The good things is they both now ask me to do their nails instead of me asking them!!

But saying that when you are starting out friends and family who don't do nails sometimes don't want to put you down and tell you anything negative do they? x x

Hi Ladies,
I've been trying to dig up modles for job interviews and have found other tech/students are more willing. If I were to take a class I would prefer to take another tech as that way we could both pick up info, maybe something that the other one missed.

I have a friend who is just starting out in nails who is a model for me, or i have another fellow tech who models for me.

I think a fellow tech can be more useful as they tend to be truthful and give you honest opinions on stuff.

Talking of which, I have my creative conversion on 1st march and need a model. I've emailed and text about 12 friends but so far no luck, might have to ask on here if nobody comes forward by the end of the weekend!!

By the way its in Manchester.

Amy started out at a client 7 years ago! now she is a good friend and comp model for me, we usually do a practice then have a bottle of wine (or 2 :rolleyes:) and an indian ! :lol:

Hi,
I sometimes use my mum, but most of the time I use friends. Mostly mums from my childrens school. With five children I get to know alot of mums. lol

Latest posts

Back