Why are some people so offensive!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fay

Reaction score
What is it with some people who think that all we do is flounce around splashing abit of polish here and a quick pluck there!!
It infuriates me that poeple think there is no technical side to what we do and pretty much anyone could do it!! The other day i got told " Oh my gf would be good at what you do cause she likes reading magazines" :eek:!! (Cause of course that what makes a good therapist:mad:!)And then today i had a lady whose 16 year old daughter was sat with us talking about her GCSE's and said " If i fail all my exams i think i might just do what you do" :mad: My reply to which was you need atleast 4 GCSE's to do the course i did!! I hate it!!! first of all i would never be so rude to say things like that to people but secondly they are so wong with what they assume!!
Just had to get it off my chest!!:green:

xxx

And breath:green:
Yes it's quiet a shock to most people just how hard we work at what we do.
Personally, I don't let it get to me anymore. As you say, you put the silly girl straight and made her think a bit and for me the boy friend would be an ex, coming out with comments like that.:irked:
My quiet thought to myself at this time is:
If we are so dum, then why is it we are not standing out side the job center saying, there's no work for me:eek:
Yes there are a lot of people out there who are unemployed and highly skilled but they aren't moaning that their is nothing they can do, they are busy looking. But all those no hope Joes can't do what we do and even in the toughest of times, we not only survive we thrive:hug:
If they want to underestimate me, that's fine, I have no problem about sorting out a client who has tried to do my job herself and charging them extra to do it:lol:

It does make you really fed up but do you know what I don't think it matters what you do - rudeness and ignorance is everywhere and apart from the fact that, I like you get really upset with thoughtless comments and unkind clients at times, it doesn't matter what you do you will come across it. When I first left school I started and out on the Beauty Therapist route. For many factors, alot of which were family related, I retrained and took a course in shorthand secretarial. On the beauty course I had all the normal bulk standard comments and inuendos from all and sundry. When I started work in an office, as expected I started as at the bottom and that was difficult for obvious reasons - I was one up from unemployed, invisible most of the time and nothing more than tea girl and errand girl if I was lucky. After nine years when I had got to the dizzy height of being someones personal assistant!! (another name for well paid dogs body - at least that was my experience), I heard so many comments and was the butt of so many smutty jokes, in and out of work, regarding the role of the "Secretary". I even got sent a rude "traditional" seaside type post card from my boss once when he was on holiday, deplicting a "saucy joke" about a dumb blonde sectretary with big boobs.

When I became a full time mum I was worthless in the eyes of a lot of those around me that still worked full time as I JUST looked after kids all day and worked a bit as and when.

Now I am back in Nails and Beauty again and like you are saying nothing has changed and unfortunately it won't. I am learning from these experiences to know how to react when necessary in the most pleasant but professional way possible.

Keep your head up, your doing a good job because that is why they are coming to you and PAYING YOU. xxxx

Well, I have to say that it must have got a little bit better. When I left school looooonnnnng ago, lol, I went for my careers talk, and they asked me what i felt i wanted to do. I explaimed that i liked the idea of being a beauty therapist on the cruise liners. I was told, "oh dont be ridiculous, those sort of jobs are for girls with no brains" and that was that. Simple as that he dismissed it! Thanks god that attitude has changed a bit in schools!!

What is it with some people who think that all we do is flounce around splashing abit of polish here and a quick pluck there!!
It infuriates me that poeple think there is no technical side to what we do and pretty much anyone could do it!!

Honetly, I think they look at what we do as a fun 'job' and that translates (in some people's minds) that anyone can do it. We KNOW better than that! I don't let people's PERCEPTION of my education/lack thereof, get the best of me.

There is no excuse for rudeness, tho! :)

Don't even get me started on this subject! It absoluetely infuriates me!:lol:

I'd like to see the people who say these things do our jobs, or do the theory work involved in training!!

Lol I actually had the same thing at the weekend. My estranged sister visited another sister. She was told about my 'nails' and glitter tattoos and her comment was 'why is she doing that, can she not find anything better to do' !!!!

Know of course sister dearest is about to embark on a four year course in speech therapy as a mature student and that is of course 'something better' than being a lowly technician.

But you know what I don't care lol. I am lucky that I have a full time job (which I hate but pays the bills ................just !!!) and that I get to train in something that I actually really want to be good at. I have chosen to do this !!!! and unlike sister dearest I hope that i won't be skint for four years lol

What a cheek! I too am sick of people thinking us beauty therapists do nothing but natter all day and read books!! I'm also sick of being called a beautician!!! Do people not know the difference? And WE are not dumb! Infact, to know what we know about the body, we are probably more clever than some!
xxx

I hate it too, but always just smile sweetly and say that it's not as easy as it looks, that you have to be very patient and precise, and that I paid £xxxxxx to do all my courses (I probably shouldn't say that to people but I love the shock on their faces ha ha) and that they were very hard work. That I have to buy stock, do my accounts, be insured, do marketing, know all about nail infections, conta-indications, etc etc etc.

That soon shuts them up.:green:

I hate it too, but always just smile sweetly and say that it's not as easy as it looks, that you have to be very patient and precise, and that I paid £xxxxxx to do all my courses (I probably shouldn't say that to people but I love the shock on their faces ha ha) and that they were very hard work. That I have to buy stock, do my accounts, be insured, do marketing, know all about nail infections, conta-indications, etc etc etc.

That soon shuts them up.:green:

Good for you! I'm bored with explaining it over and over again because the only answers I was getting was 'well you work for yourself,it's easy' So I am now telling them they are very welcome to come about with me for the day if they want a rest. That shuts them up too :lol: xxx

Thanks for all your replies guys i feel loads better now reading your experiences too!!:)

xxx

i'm not a professional, but i sure as hell have gained a lot of respect for you skin, nail and hair guys on here.

when i'm reading some of the threads, the language and terms you use are like a different language lol!

i must admit that when i had my first set of acrylics i thought that there was going to be nothing to it, then after watching my friend do what she does best i was totally amazed.

the same goes for the hair guys...talking about base colours and bleaching/toning mixture ratios...my god, i don't think i would be able to remember it all!

and once when i read a skin care thread, i had to google most of the words lol. :lol:

so my hat comes off to you guys, and don't let other's negative comments or thoughts about what you do bring you down...you have all worked bloody hard to get to where you are.

jue xx

Aww thanks jue!! :hug: It nice to see someone gets what us guys do!!!
xxxx

Tell them how much you make an hour ... that normally shuts them up lol

Well, I have to say that it must have got a little bit better. When I left school looooonnnnng ago, lol, I went for my careers talk, and they asked me what i felt i wanted to do. I explaimed that i liked the idea of being a beauty therapist on the cruise liners. I was told, "oh dont be ridiculous, those sort of jobs are for girls with no brains" and that was that. Simple as that he dismissed it! Thanks god that attitude has changed a bit in schools!!

I don't know when you left school but i was also told this in 2001 by my advisor and also humiliated in front of a class of girls during performance arts by my teacher, as we sat aroundin a circle discussing what we wanted to do once school ended. I knew from 11 years old watching my mum having her huge acrylics put on her 'little stumps' (as she would say) transformed into a work of art!

So as my turn came i stood up and said I wanted to be a beauty therapist and have my own salon. She said 'Carla that job is not for the likes of you, it's for dumb blondes yor going to have GCSE's, you have a brain, don't be so daft and don't throw your life away.
Well back at 16 no one told me what to do lol and I am now a Clever Beauty Therapist.:green:

I don't know when you left school but i was also told this in 2001 by my advisor and also humiliated in front of a class of girls during performance arts by my teacher, as we sat aroundin a circle discussing what we wanted to do once school ended. I knew from 11 years old watching my mum having her huge acrylics put on her 'little stumps' (as she would say) transformed into a work of art!

So as my turn came i stood up and said I wanted to be a beauty therapist and have my own salon. She said 'Carla that job is not for the likes of you, it's for dumb blondes yor going to have GCSE's, you have a brain, don't be so daft and don't throw your life away.
Well back at 16 no one told me what to do lol and I am now a Clever Beauty Therapist.:green:
:idea: Carla, you should get in touch with your old school and offer to give the girls a careers talk about how you made it as a Beauty Therapist and what is involved, qualifications, different jobs you have done, etc etc.
That might enlighten the stereotyped attitudes of some of the staff!
Some of them might even be a little bit jealous of your work -after all, who would want to be a secondary school teacher these days really if you stop to think about it. . . .

Let them think it is a less worthy job, that required almost no training. Ths way we get less competition... LOL
I couln't care less about what they think. I have a college degree and i'm doing nails. Loving it and earning a hole lot better!!!

my hands are on my hips now
i did my training at y,c,o,b in yeadon, bloomin ek, what alot of big words
i really felt quite cleaver when i left,
after 19 years in catering, i was so looking forward to the question(what do you do for a living) but i found i kept getting that look from people, we all know the one,
i now very nicely say to people, im a f*n*y waxer how about you,
that shuts alot of people up hxx

My boyfriend refused to call me a technician.. Whats so technical he would ask me.. Thats easy i could do that!! he would say..one night after being so fed up with his.. Cr@p I gave him a little pot of powder.. a little pot of monomer.. and my student brush.. (old cheap thing).. I said, Go on then if its so easy!!

He had two massive blobs of acrylic on his thumb and a tantrum!

It made my night actally.. now he says to people.. "oh its harder then it looks"

(grrrr)

Latest posts

Back