Why are there so many 'messers' around?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again. Had a lady in today who had a groupon voucher to get shellac manicure elsewhere. Came back to me as she is our salon client. Nails are awful and then she says the bottles in that salon looked completely different from mine. When she questioned the therapist she was told that it was exactly like shellac but cheaper!!!

Now, that is exactly what ignorance and lack of professionalism is! Why would someone sell vouchers on groupon and mislead clients! Are they embarrassed by their product? Or what? I don't get it simply!

PHAB is the way to go!

Nail designer with a twist;)

Nataliya, I'm with you. I am complete shocked that some people class themselves as nail techs and cut corners like that. Other products simular to shellac are cheaper for a reason, the reason being it's not shellac. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are there laws in the UK against false advertising? Shellac is a trademarked brand, so you couldn't advertise a service you're not providing.

@Nataliya, I would tell your client to file a complaint with Groupon. I can only speak for my experience with them in the US, but from what I can tell, they care about the members and have in a few cases, refunded vouchers and where appropriate prosecuted fradulent merchants.

I agree, if you can get your client to lodge a complaint, then this is one small step towards squashing this type of bad practice.

it's this type of situation (had client known better) that gives Shellac a bad name when it doesn't deserve it.
If this client knew no better, she could then walk around for ever telling everybody that Shellac is sh*t cause of this one experience and not knowing she didn't even get Shellaced in the first place, she got ripped off instead but doesn't know it.

This happens with any good named brand and it really urkes me.

Here is Australia at the moment, on my local radio station, there is an add for Bio Sculpture....now don't get me wrong, I know Bio is a good brand and all, but I feel what they are doing is very wrong and misleading.

The first thing the add says is......
"Bio Sculpture gel products won't ruin your natural nails like ALL (yes it says all) other acrylic and gel brands do, so if you want beautiful looking nails come in and have Bio Sculpture and you will feel the difference"

Every time I hear it, I want to ring the number they advertise and have a go at them for this misleading rot they are trying to get the public to believe.
The product does NOT ruin the natural nail, the tech or tools do it, not the product!!!!!

This is on the biggest Brisbane radio station that every one listens to and is all I think is, now all the people who have heard this must now think that ALL other products ruin their nails, just because BIO says so and cause the average person knows no better, they think that if this BIG company says it does that, then it must be true and I feel this is what Bio is relying on and it is not right and I'm actually very disappointed that such a big company would take this type of advertising tactic.

I agree, if you can get your client to lodge a complaint, then this is one small step towards squashing this type of bad practice.

it's this type of situation (had client known better) that gives Shellac a bad name when it doesn't deserve it.
If this client knew no better, she could then walk around for ever telling everybody that Shellac is sh*t cause of this one experience and not knowing she didn't even get Shellaced in the first place, she got ripped off instead but doesn't know it.

This happens with any good named brand and it really urkes me.

Here is Australia at the moment, on my local radio station, there is an add for Bio Sculpture....now don't get me wrong, I know Bio is a good brand and all, but I feel what they are doing is very wrong and misleading.

"Bio Sculpture gel products won't ruin your natural nails like ALL (yes it says all) other acrylic and gel brands do, so if you want beautiful looking nails come in and have Bio Sculpture and you will feel the difference"

Every time I hear it, I want to ring the number they advertise and have a go at them for this misleading rot they are trying to get the public to believe.
The product does NOT ruin the natural nail, the tech or tools do it, not the product!!!!!

This is on the biggest Brisbane radio station that every one listens to and is all I think is, now all the people who have heard this must now think that ALL other products ruin their nails, just because BIO says so and cause the average person knows no better, they think that if this BIG company says it does that, then it must be true and I feel this is what Bio is relying on and it is not right and I'm actually very disappointed that such a big company would take this type of advertising tactic.

Unfortunately Bio have been using this wording in their advertising for a very long time. It is typical of the 'scare' tactics people are using theses days in order to sell what they have to sell or get consumers to believe what they want them to believe to achieve their end.

In the States there are all kinds of consumer groups that are using scare tactics. These scare tactics have even changed things in our industry such as forcing companies to go the 3Free route with nail polish ... When nail polish has been used for nearly 100 years with no I'll effects. They are doing it right now with uv lamps .. Scaring the public into thinking they can get cancer from a nail lamp when it has been PROVED otherwise by UV experts ... It goes on and on.

Funny when you think about it that people don't tackle the REAL issues such as bad salons, the use of MMA, lack of propeer sanitisation etc that really can cause damage DO CAUSE REAL DAMAGE and instead, focus on issues where the info is just made up.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are there laws in the UK against false advertising? Shellac is a trademarked brand, so you couldn't advertise a service you're not providing.

@Nataliya, I would tell your client to file a complaint with Groupon. I can only speak for my experience with them in the US, but from what I can tell, they care about the members and have in a few cases, refunded vouchers and where appropriate prosecuted fradulent merchants.

That was a first thing I said. But she doesn't want to go back there she just wants good looking nails!

That's a shame! I would tell them there and then if I thought it did not look the way it should have. I wouldn't wait!

But there are clients who don't have the guts or simply can't be bothered going to complain! I really think the salon deserves to know that they are doing real bad job and fix it, rather than assume they are great and make clients feel like fools!

Once again I want to emphasise and back up everything that's been said by Gigi, Samantha and PHAB. Everyone should qualify and apply for PHAB!
It will put us above the rest, best out of the best so your clients will know that you are the best out there.

I have applied and I am going through verification process and I can't wait to hear from them. Cause when I thought about it and measured everything I have fully appreciated the concept and the benefits of getting it!

Is it our ambition to be on top? But how do you get to the top? You know you are good, your customers know you are good, but what about others? This is where PHAB comes in.

I am not yet, but when I am I will be very proud to say I am PHAB nail artist!

The other day a lady told me her friend has shellac very cheaply! Today the lady says it is shellac they just call it gelac!!! I have a feeling that a lot of salons are offering shellac but actually giving clients gelac! X

The other day a lady told me her friend has shellac very cheaply! Today the lady says it is shellac they just call it gelac!!! I have a feeling that a lot of salons are offering shellac but actually giving clients gelac! X

Thats soo wrong.. !!! shellac and gelac are totally different concepts and brands... Its like salon that advertise minx when in fact they are a much cheaper stick on nail decor.. makes me mad.. lol..

i dont understand why on earth someone could be that tight as to buy a product on price alone and completely lie about it to a client .if you have chosen your products wisely and have confidence in your choice and ability why not grow a pair and stop trying to hide behind other companys branding have faith in your products and tell your clients what you are using why you have chosen that perticular brand .Remember this is how products treatments and brands get out there by being used by a professinal on a client in the correct manner as per that companys application procedure and guidelines if a company tells you what results can be expected with there products and your confident in your choice then stop cheating yourselves ,your clients and your suppliers.i believe if you are buying into a concept rather than just a product line then be aware that marketing tactics are not limited to companys telling you how good there product is alot of consumers are marketed without even realising it and big brand power is overwhelming granted there companys are succesful and rightly so

Here we go again. Had a lady in today who had a groupon voucher to get shellac manicure elsewhere. Came back to me as she is our salon client. Nails are awful and then she says the bottles in that salon looked completely different from mine. When she questioned the therapist she was told that it was exactly like shellac but cheaper!!!

This is a case of the salon using the reputation of Shellac to lure clients in, since I 'suppose' that the smaller/newer brands aren't as well known or marketed as Shellac is. Shellac is the ONLY one I've actually seen on the NEWS stations.

I think the complaint would have to be registered against the SALON who placed the advert and provided misleading information. Groupon can't be expected to 'inspect' all of their advertisers. That would be like asking the Newspapers to 'inspect' every advert in their newspapers. Understand what I mean?

I've had this problem with that brand (and similar ones that toss around the words "bio" and "organic") for years and that's why I hate them. They deliberately mislead people and tell FLAT OUT LIES. I have no use for that kind of company.

If it doesn't say CND on the bottle, then it's not Shellac - that's all you have to say!!

In fact we should be saying this ALL the time!

If it doesn't say CND on the bottle, then it's not Shellac - that's all you have to say!!

In fact we should be saying this ALL the time!

I do:) I am feeling for other clients having bad experiences.

Would be good if we had shellac keyrings or something that looks like a bottle of Shellac. Like can opener for opening cans of Coke instead using the nails.

Would be good if we had shellac keyrings or something that looks like a bottle of Shellac. Like can opener for opening cans of Coke instead using the nails.

Clever idea Nataliya - xo

Loving that idea,as they say our nails are jewels not tools
sazza x

As you know, I am relatively new to this industry and still have much to learn. The first thing that I learned is that, as with all industries, you need the correct tools to do a good job.

The reason I began to train was due to the many bad treatments I received, which I believe were mainly due to lack of training and incorrect equipment. I think it is important to remember that if you do 'experiment' and mix systems and a client has a bad reaction, you will not be covered by your insurance. They will deem that you have been negligent by not using the approved tools and products for the treatment performed. You could lose everything you have, including your home if the claim is a serious one.

Although I have not been part of this forum for very long, I often look at the threads and wonder why the person hasn't done a search for the answer, ie Do I need a CND lamp for Shellac? The question seems to arise at least once per week and has been answered numerous times.

I have heard it said so many times that people cannot afford the correct equipment. Would it not therefore be prudent not to offer that service until you can afford the correct equipment?

I fully understand Geeg's opinions and do think that some have deliberately misinterpreted the original post.

As you know, I am relatively new to this industry and still have much to learn. The first thing that I learned is that, as with all industries, you need the correct tools to do a good job.

The reason I began to train was due to the many bad treatments I received, which I believe were mainly due to lack of training and incorrect equipment. I think it is important to remember that if you do 'experiment' and mix systems and a client has a bad reaction, you will not be covered by your insurance. They will deem that you have been negligent by not using the approved tools and products for the treatment performed. You could lose everything you have, including your home if the claim is a serious one.

Although I have not been part of this forum for very long, I often look at the threads and wonder why the person hasn't done a search for the answer, ie Do I need a CND lamp for Shellac? The question seems to arise at least once per week and has been answered numerous times.

I have heard it said so many times that people cannot afford the correct equipment. Would it not therefore be prudent not to offer that service until you can afford the correct equipment?

I fully understand Geeg's opinions and do think that some have deliberately misinterpreted the original post.

I think there have only been two posts where the posters for whatever reason, completely misread/misinterpreted both my post, my motive etc. Other than those first two, this thread has been hugely read and enjoyed by everyone who has kindly taken the time to post on it.

My personal opinion is that it is so easy to do the right things, the professional things and the honest things that I have NO TIME for 'messers' nor the mentality behind what they do. I think it shows a lack of respect for their clients, the experts, themselves and their education.

I really hope that every serious technician will invest in his or her future and apply to PHAB as soon as they are able and get that rating that will physically display that he or she is serious about their business and a cut above the 'messers' in this world. http://www.phabstandard.com/becoming_a_PHAB_nail_technician.asp

To me, this is the best quote from a post in the whole thread and I award Mrs Geek a 5 Star Rating for it.

Shouldn't we all want to do our level best for the customer? Isn't that our job? And by level best that means, being educated, having the right tools (and products) to perform our job and taking care of the customers who are at the end of the day - PAYING US for a service and TRUSTING US to perform that service correctly!!

Last edited:

Nfu on have these openers in the shape of corsets which is the same as the lids on their nail colours and treatment bottles. They sell really well and are great gifts for regular clients. :green:

Whew.. I read through all the 7 pages ;) Excellent thread!

Why is there so many "messers"? It's a complicated issue. I think it's because our industry is actually too cheap and "too easy" to get into. People don't need literally any training to be open for business. Because of that public perception of what's acceptable is seriously low.

What I would love to see is an apprenticeship program in place. Like 100's years ago when people wanted to learn a trade they would work for a master for years to become "a professional" (but not a master yet).
I think it's way too easy to become an educator in our industry too. Some companies require just a 2 day course and they become "masters"

Please google "apprenticehip history/journeyman/guild/Master craftsman" . Very interesting read. I don't think it was a bad system! :idea:

The system of apprenticeship first developed in the later Middle Ages and came to be supervised by craft guilds and town governments. A master craftsman was entitled to employ young people as an inexpensive form of labor in exchange for providing food, lodging and formal training in the craft. Most apprentices were males, but female apprentices were found in crafts such as seamstress,[1] tailor, cordwainer, baker and stationer.[2]
Most apprentices aspired to becoming master craftsmen themselves on completion of their contract (usually a term of seven years), but some would spend time as a journeyman and a significant proportion would never acquire their own workshop.

A journeyman is a trader or crafter who has completed an apprenticeship. A journeyman was a craftsman who had fully learned his trade and earned money but was not yet a master. To become a master, a journeyman had to submit a master work piece to a guild for judgment. If the work were deemed worthy, the journeyman would be admitted to the guild as a master.

A master craftsman or master tradesman (sometimes called only master or grandmaster, German: Meister) was a member of a guild. In the European guild system, only masters were allowed to be members of the guild.

An aspiring master would have to pass through the career chain from apprentice to journeyman before he could be elected to become a master craftsman. He would then have to produce a sum of money and a masterpiece before he could actually join the guild. If the masterpiece was not accepted by the masters, he was not allowed to join the guild, possibly remaining a journeyman for the rest of his life.

Having to find a place to work/apprentice at sure would be little challenging but that would eliminate people that are not serious, the "messers" and the weekend worriers.
Unfortunately we are living in a instant gratification society and the younger generations live with some kind of attitude that they are entitled to have it all.
They feel that they should afford everything (course too expensive? I should make it cheaper so "they" can afford it. They are not ready after 12 week course and 100 hrs to make money like a person with 10 year experience? My fault for not "teaching" them.
So many want to be able to open up their business after 100 hrs... becuase they feel that now they are "professional" and there is no way they will work in a salon for a minimum wage (not realizing that they barely make that for the salon)!

Because our industry is full of "messers" we don't have enough of "good competition" and the public doesn't expect much (they think that it's OK/normal for the manicure to hurt, that they end up with bleeding fingers, its normal for a nail tech to jam their nail under the enhancement to remove it, it's so normal for many people to see shared tools at the salon etc etc)

Sure, they complain sometimes but they don't do anything else. They don't call health departament for example. It boggles my mind why general public is not more picky.
They complain in the restaurants that their food is cold, fork has a water marks or feels greasy or that there is a hair in their food.... but dirty cuticle pusher? That's OK?
Sure, some might not know, they assume that everything is clean (because it came out of the "oven" - aka UV sterilizer- NOT an approved method of disinfection in Ontario BTW) but many people that I talk to actually SEE ""nail techs"" share the tools while working on other clients without CLEANING them at all.

The sad part is that the lack of sanitation happens almost eveywhere. Not just discount salons. I've been to many salons to do product demos and trust me... what I see is sad! Dusty drawers with dirty implements, sticky and dusty tables, reused towels, dirty buffers in UV sterilizes.
The regulations here are CLEAR. Only metal/non porous implements to be desinfected, all files, buffers, toe separators- GABAGE after each use.
Yet, I see used files at almost EACH salon (I would say 99%)
Why do salons do it? Because they can. Because clients still pay.

If clients got up from the chair seeing a dirty file and demanded a refund because the service was not up to their (high) standards... things would change quickly.

Last edited:
We also have the issue of the benefit bandits, the non tax declarers and the office wallas to contend with.
Difficult one to overcome if you are trying to make a living from nails.

Latest posts

Back