Why are there so many 'messers' around?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be pleased to know that after reading this i went ahead and bought the shellac lamp even though i had previously been told i didnt need to.. Bt i use all my other systems as a complete system and neva use other products within them and i figured that i was probably bein a bit stoopid not using the correct lamp and that perhaps is why i was having a few problems..
Thankyu for bringin this to my attention :) hopefully me and my shellac lamp will be very happy :)
Cat

If you need any help setting the Lamp up, then I have done an article on here and here is a video as well. X

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112929-how-assemble-use-your-new-cnd-uv-lamp.html

YouTube - CND UV Lamp Set-up

I do not believe for one minute that Geeg is being harsh or unfair and for the record I have seen and heard the same stories from clients as she has..... Why are people so suspicious of big companies or manufacturers? Are Nail Techs really so close-minded they can't understand the years (and £/$'s) of research and development that go into creating products? Here's a fact that will shock you - CND need to make a profit! It's the only way they (as well as all the others) can develop new products and offer training to us.

I have found products outside of my core range that suit me - I love Young Nails Zebra files for de-bulking, I use Star Nails Quattro as a UV gel finish for L+P...... But I perform my L+P service as I was trained on my Foundation Course in 2004 - why? Because I believe I was taught that way for a reason. I get good consistent results so why would I want to 'try another powder with my liquid'?

I prepare myself to be not popular for this, but I believe that tech's that are always looking for 'cheap' are offering a lesser service and I most definitely believe they are not committed to their trade. I find the endless UV Lamp threads tiresome when people argue against facts (do a search, there are hundreds). Like any conspiracy theory, if you agree with them they believe they're more right, if you argue they believe you're lying and they're still right :rolleyes:.

I am a mobile tech of 6 years operating at about 80% capacity all year round (fully booked about 50% of the year). But that must be luck on my part right?

No not luck, I'd say it's because your probably a damm good nail tech.:)

You know what? It's been really nice to have an intelligent discussion rather than just answering queries. I personally wish there were more of them!

I don't mind answering product queries, but a good meaty discussion satisfies me more and I think is also (I hope) more informative and helpful to new ones.

This is a great thread! :)

You know what? It's been really nice to have an intelligent discussion rather than just answering queries. I personally wish there were more of them!

I don't mind answering product queries, but a good meaty discussion satisfies me more and I think is also (I hope) more informative and helpful to new ones.

Meaty discussion is really the only way to remember and learn! Giving examples, going over the steps, why yes and why no! What to do to improve! And not just hope that someone else will do a research and present it all nicely laid on a china plate with a golden rim!

I love finding out how it's made and how it works! So them I can recall why it didn't work and what I need to improve!

Mum used to tell me when I was wee:"Nataliya, I don't want to know why not, I want to know what you did for it to be yes!"

So is Shellac or whatever else, doesn't work, it's not the Shellac, it's you!

Nail designer with a twist;)

One of my clients went back to the UK and came back while I was on holiday so we decided she would be better to find a salon close to her parents in the UK for her rebalance... she came to me yesterday and was telling me about the appt.
She said:
The tech keyed my nails before applying the gel and my nails were burning when they were in the lamp!
She asked me what shape I wanted so I told her almond like you did for me, but she said she couldn't do that shape so I've got round nails now.

The application wasn't finished properly, they were thick, no apex, the sidewalls were 'chunky' and the free edge needed to be thinner too.

Now, I'm not saying that the nails I produce are 10/10, but there's no way I would let a client of mine go away with nails like that :eek:

This person rents space in a salon, she's doing nails every day and I'm wondering how on earth she makes a living?

Is it because a lot of people don't know what a good enhancement should look like?

I agree with your comments. I think geeg is being a little unfair lumping everyone into the one group. There areso many products out there every tech SHOULD experiment and find what products suit them best. And then where appropriate do the nescessary training. The other day I asked the question of "do I really need a shellac lamp" does this mean that I fit into geeg's category. I feel as someone who is full qualified, insured and enjoys to experiment with different products and has happy clients that this is post is unfair.

MrsM (and all others who have made similar comments) - I haven't read the full 5 pages so I will apologies if this has been dealt with but I need to point out that the initial point of the thread has been missed completely - either out of lack of understanding or to be argumentative - I am hoping the first!

It's as if some are challenging the poster on whether you should mix colours or br creative. The post is simply suggesting that there are too many people out there performing treatments designed by manufactures to work in a certain way, and performing them incorrectly because they don't want to purchase the correct 'tools of the trade' to do the treatments properly. If you fall into that category then one has to ask - why? Why is it that 'some' think they know more than the manufactures? Why is it that these 'some' think they have the god-given right to perform treatments on the public - incorrectly???

Mark my words the day is coming when the 'some' are going to be really sorry they didn't follow proper guide-lines, and or procedures to the letter or train in those treatments, when they are sued big time by a client who has simply 'had enough' of being your (and that's a generic 'your) - guinea pig!

As an aside and as one of the nail representativeness for the PHAB Standards (www.phabstandard.com), this is the EXACT type of thing that salons who hold the PHAB standard 'won't' be doing...

So to finish... I feel this thread is thought provoking for the right reasons and not to be judgmental but to really ask... as nail professionals - shouldn't we all want to do our level best for the customer?

Isn't that our job? And by level best that means being educated, having the right tools to perform our job and taking care of the our customers who are at the end of the day - PAYING US for a service and TRUSTING US to perform that service correctly!!

Don't know who PHAB is?? This is something that has really got me excited and how timely is this?? When I wrote this thread I didn't even know about it!!

PHAB could really make a change to the professional nail techs out there who are proud of what they do and are excellent at it?

Something that will truely set YOU apart from the 'messers' and the NSS who will not be able to compete or take part??

Here it is ...

Samantha Sweet is PHAB!

Sweet Squared LLP is proud to announce that Samantha Sweet is the latest addition to the Non-Executive Board of Directors at PHAB; pronounced ‘fab’ it stands for Performance in Hair and Beauty. PHAB offers nail professionals a real first, the chance to be recognised for outstanding quality in the same way that Michelin stars recognise excellence in the restaurant world.

Samantha will act as representative for the nail industry and will guide the board on how nail professionals should be assessed in order to achieve a PHAB standard. Samantha said: ‘As always, I am honoured to help with anything that gives our industry credibility and that also gives our wonderful true nail professionals the chance to showcase their skills. We have come a long way since the 80’s yet there is always more we can strive for and do! The PHAB standard will allow nail professionals, salons and spas, the opportunity to showcase and be rewarded for their dedication, hard work and creativity.’

Nail professionals applying for the standard are assessed on their ability to demonstrate high levels of repeat business and retails sales based on customer problem solving as well as client testimonials. Successful applicants will receive a Bronze, Silver or a much coveted Gold standard depending on their level of excellence. They will then be assessed on an annual basis to ensure standards are maintained.

PHAB’s founder and Chief Executive, Nergish Wadia-Austin created the standard to guide prospective clients when choosing a new nail salon or nail professional. Nergish commented on Samantha’s appointment: ‘We invited Samantha to comment on what we were trying to achieve at PHAB and she responded with a huge list of questions. This attention to detail showed me just how much she loves the nail industry and I knew then that she was the person we wanted.”

About PHAB
PHAB is the brainchild of industry expert Nergish Wadia-Austin, who has over 30 years industry experience and has worked for big name brands such as Vidal Sassoon. Nergish realised that something was missing, an industry standard that stood for excellent practice in nails, hairdressing and beauty therapy. After much time spent researching and developing, PHAB was born.

nail technicians can go right to this link ... http://www.phabstandard.com/becoming_a_PHAB_nail_technician.asp

For more information about PHAB visit their website PHAB: Performance in Hair and Beauty

Last edited:
I totally agree. I was CND trained at college, but came out into the big wide world and thought I woukld cut corners with cheaper items like files, brushes (I NEVER used anything but CND L&P system though, wouldn't be so daft as to mix!!) cheap glue, cheap tips etc - but have since learned that's not the way.

CND is top end stuff, you get what you pay for, and this (in my opinion,) is the best. SInce doing my Minx and Shellac courses, back with CND Fingertips Centre, I buy all my stock from there, I have never spent so much money on product, but then - I have never made so much money either, so it REALLY works for me!!! I'm very much in the black at the bank, and that makes me happy!

So, I was a 'messer' for a very short time, but learned fast! My clients come to my in a hygenic envoronment, enjoy top quality product, and just caome back, and back and back.....

I totally agree. I was CND trained at college, but came out into the big wide world and thought I woukld cut corners with cheaper items like files, brushes (I NEVER used anything but CND L&P system though, wouldn't be so daft as to mix!!) cheap glue, cheap tips etc - but have since learned that's not the way.

CND is top end stuff, you get what you pay for, and this (in my opinion,) is the best. SInce doing my Minx and Shellac courses, back with CND Fingertips Centre, I buy all my stock from there, I have never spent so much money on product, but then - I have never made so much money either, so it REALLY works for me!!! I'm very much in the black at the bank, and that makes me happy!

So, I was a 'messer' for a very short time, but learned fast! My clients come to my in a hygenic envoronment, enjoy top quality product, and just caome back, and back and back.....

One word for you "PHAB"! :green:

For those of you who are sat there thinking, Gigi is biased, Gigi would say that, she's all about CND. I'd like to point something out to you.
Gigi knows that I use NSI L&P but when I asked for her help she didn't turn me away, far from it. What she cares about is helping tech's to become great techs.
Her thinking is based on facts, she has never said; 'because I said so' she has always given examples, given links and suggested books dvd's etc where we can see for our selves the truth of things.
Her comments and findings are shared by me and many others, if some of you find yourselves feeling defensive then I suggest you take a step back and work out why you feel that way.
Do you practice safely and cleanly? If you do then you are not being lumped in together. So you shouldn't feel insulted.
Mixing products; how I wish we could, so many companies have one or two products that I love, it would be great if we could use them all.
Let me ask you this, what happens if you mix, cilit bang with washing up liquid and bleach? All good products, all will clean things but use them together and you are likely to end up in hospital with damaged lungs.
Fact, some things far from working together work against each other. Not as dramaticly as my example but if you find you have product break down, lifting, cracking etc and you have been puting products together that were never intended to go together then can you really say it's because someone is biased? Or could it be due to your lack of education? There is far more to being a good tech then placing a perfect bead in the right place. Good tech's know why things work together, or don't, they have more books on their shelves then the ones they had to buy, they find their interest is snagged by many side issues and understand that those side issues help them to grow. Questioning 'why' is good. But mulishly posting, do I have to, when the last 300 answers have been, yes you do have to is pointless, follow the facts, educate yourself beyond the basics and answer the question for yourself.
Your customers deserve the best.
Great thread Gigi:hug:

I totally agree, this has been really great. Here's to more meaty discussions!

As an aside and as one of the nail representativeness for the PHAB Standards (www.phabstandard.com), this is the EXACT type of thing that salons who hold the PHAB standard 'won't' be doing...

So to finish... I feel this thread is thought provoking for the right reasons and not to be judgmental but to really ask... as nail professionals - shouldn't we all want to do our level best for the customer?

Isn't that our job? And by level best that means being educated, having the right tools to perform our job and taking care of the our customers who are at the end of the day - PAYING US for a service and TRUSTING US to perform that service correctly!!

Just have a question to clarify! :) Would I be considered a "messer" and not eligible for the standards of PHAB (not that I am joining cuz I am in the US) because I use 4 different lines of product? I use CND for pedis and natural nail manis, H&NH for L&P and SOG, OPI for traditional gel and some NSI for color gel. I just like each line for the way that they work for me. I have tried to use all one line for all services and that just did not work out for me personally, so I sampled until I found what worked for me. Just so happens that each service that I offer comes from a different company!
Just curious.....

Just have a question to clarify! :) Would I be considered a "messer" and not eligible for the standards of PHAB (not that I am joining cuz I am in the US) because I use 4 different lines of product? I use CND for pedis and natural nail manis, H&NH for L&P and SOG, OPI for traditional gel and some NSI for color gel. I just like each line for the way that they work for me. I have tried to use all one line for all services and that just did not work out for me personally, so I sampled until I found what worked for me. Just so happens that each service that I offer comes from a different company!
Just curious.....

I dont think Sam or this thread meant it that way...
Using different systems for each individual treatment is ok because we should, as nail techs and as customers have that choice...
BUT Mixing different systems in one treatment should not be accepted.
For example, a NSI primer with OPI powder mixed with Ezflow monomer topping it all off with a Shellac top coat.

For those of you who are sat there thinking, Gigi is biased, Gigi would say that, she's all about CND. I'd like to point something out to you.
Gigi knows that I use NSI L&P but when I asked for her help she didn't turn me away, far from it. What she cares about is helping tech's to become great techs.
Her thinking is based on facts, she has never said; 'because I said so' she has always given examples, given links and suggested books dvd's etc where we can see for our selves the truth of things.
Her comments and findings are shared by me and many others, if some of you find yourselves feeling defensive then I suggest you take a step back and work out why you feel that way.
Do you practice safely and cleanly? If you do then you are not being lumped in together. So you shouldn't feel insulted.
Mixing products; how I wish we could, so many companies have one or two products that I love, it would be great if we could use them all.
Let me ask you this, what happens if you mix, cilit bang with washing up liquid and bleach? All good products, all will clean things but use them together and you are likely to end up in hospital with damaged lungs.
Fact, some things far from working together work against each other. Not as dramaticly as my example but if you find you have product break down, lifting, cracking etc and you have been puting products together that were never intended to go together then can you really say it's because someone is biased? Or could it be due to your lack of education? There is far more to being a good tech then placing a perfect bead in the right place. Good tech's know why things work together, or don't, they have more books on their shelves then the ones they had to buy, they find their interest is snagged by many side issues and understand that those side issues help them to grow. Questioning 'why' is good. But mulishly posting, do I have to, when the last 300 answers have been, yes you do have to is pointless, follow the facts, educate yourself beyond the basics and answer the question for yourself.
Your customers deserve the best.
Great thread Gigi:hug:

Susie I could not agree more with you. I myself at the moment use Entity and Gigi has never been anything but supportive of me. My only confession is that I do use a Creative brush because basically my mix ratio is one hundred times better with the Pro-styler, dont ask me why it just does. :)

Using different systems for each individual treatment is ok because we should, as nail techs and as customers have that choice...
For example, a NSI primer with OPI powder mixed with Ezflow monomer topping it all off with a Shellac top coat.

See now to me; that makes sense! Thank you! I just kept reading all of the posts and getting a little confused at all the differences of opionin! (and it really was not just what Sam said at all) :lol:

That's exactly how I understood it. :)

I remember sitting with Geeg at the launch of Shellac. Without even trying the system how it was meant to be used people were asking questions on if it could be used in this way and that way! What is wrong with following the instructions? Follow them, get used to the product, understand the science, see results then maybe experiment. The good people have done that and discovered additional ways to use the product e.g weekend nails, with DD, layering, designs etc. That is the smart use of products. Messing about to save a few pennies on every service by using the wrong lamp, mixing systems and all the other nonsense is the ignorant and unprofessional use of products.

I'm with you Geeg and despair of all the questions and 'ideas' that you are referring to. Ignorance

I have not read all of this post naughty I know but on my way to the salon.
Thanks Geeg for this thread, as I totally agree with you & many others too :hug:
I was going to start a post very similar but trying to put it in the right words with out being shot down by young & in experienced people on here its hard sometimes, hence why I don't post much, as I am too opinionated sometimes & have to bite my tongue.
I was at the launch too Marion & the ladies on my table where asking some ridiculous questions, can I use this band & not do that to save time & money..........give me a break I couldn't believe my ears. I am such a creature of habit, I DON'T mix brands or systems together, I follow instructions and guess what guys .................I have a very successful business from it.:biggrin:
I am getting at least 2 new clients on average a week from other salons who are mixing, messing & god knows what with products. If you are going to continue you to do this DO NOT sell it under its brand name as in my eyes its a breech of your clients consumer rights (might be wrong so shoot me please, I am sure someone will no doubt)

I want to protect my brand CND big time as its my lively hood..............enough said me thinks :lol:

I have not read all of this post naughty I know but on my way to the salon.
Thanks Geeg for this thread, as I totally agree with you & many others too :hug:
I was going to start a post very similar but trying to put it in the right words with out being shot down by young & in experienced people on here its hard sometimes, hence why I don't post much, as I am too opinionated sometimes & have to bite my tongue.
I was at the launch too Marion & the ladies on my table where asking some ridiculous questions, can I use this band & not do that to save time & money..........give me a break I couldn't believe my ears. I am such a creature of habit, I DON'T mix brands or systems together, I follow instructions and guess what guys .................I have a very successful business from it.:biggrin:
I am getting at least 2 new clients on average a week from other salons who are mixing, messing & god knows what with products. If you are going to continue you to do this DO NOT sell it under its brand name as in my eyes its a breech of your clients consumer rights (might be wrong so shoot me please, I am sure someone will no doubt)

I want to protect my brand CND big time as its my lively hood..............enough said me thinks :lol:

Great post! You should apply for your 5star rating from PHAB right away and be one of the first to get it! You deserve it. X. See post above re PHAB if you missed reading it. It's important to we who are not 'messers'

Latest posts

Back