Why do people feel the need to barter you down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missgiggles

Reaction score
Im advertising Acrylic nails for £9 and also doing water marbeling for £13 and ive had a lady contact me today saying would i lower the price of my acrylic tips as its to exspenive !!

I feel shocked , im charging lowest in my area for practice and to cover costs of materials. as some students at my college are charging £15 !
But for proffessional nail techs round my area are charging £15 , so i think its wrong they are charging same price as pros!
grrrrrr

do you get many people who " Barter" you down in price to have there nails done?

IMO 9 pounds is just not enough to charge. your inviting people in to haggle your not putting a realistic price on your product or skill, if people see the chance to get something for nothing they will take that opportunity ,
if a really cant afford 9 pounds for her nails to be done well she shouldn't be getting them done really right? so shes more than likely trying it on.

if you are after experience and models to build your portfolio then say that in your ad and still charge for travel(if mobile) and products right the way through to disposables like couch roll ect ,

Or

if it is business your looking for then start as you mean to go on change higher!

one last thing dont try to compeet with others by lowering your price do it by getting good at what you do and rasing your standarts as a tech, if they make a living on 15 pound sets there ever working way to hard or there cutting major corners!

I clearly state in the advert that I'm a student and wanting to gain experience and practice.
May I ask what did you charge when you was training?

I agree. This lady is seeing £9 and thinking that's so cheap and betting she can go cheaper.

IMO you should double your prices AT LEAST.

Crikey. I charge £45-£50+ per set and a minimum of £20 for maintenance. I would NEVER book in to have a £9 set done - or a £15 set either, for that matter, as I would assume I would be buying into cheap & nasty products, or shoddy workmanship! :eek: How on earth do you even cover your costs at that price? By charging so low, you are suggesting you are doing budget/discount nails, so you will attract cheapskates & bargain-hunters, hun!

When I started out 8 years ago, I knew that I wanted clients that appreciated quality and were prepared to pay for it. Of course cheaper nails were available to them, but they understood that my products were of superior quality & that I put in the attention-to-detail that was lacking elsewhere. I offered an introductory half price rate of £20 for a set, but my clients knew that this was just that - an introductory offer, while I built on my skills.

Surely you'd rather have a few well-paying appreciative clients, than work loads harder seeing dozens of cheapskate penny-pinchers for the same money?! Put a value on yourself love and others will too - if they want cheap nails, they can go elsewhere. :hug:

Im advertising Acrylic nails for £9 and also doing water marbeling for £13 and ive had a lady contact me today saying would i lower the price of my acrylic tips as its to exspenive !!

I feel shocked , im charging lowest in my area for practice and to cover costs of materials. as some students at my college are charging £15 !
But for proffessional nail techs round my area are charging £15 , so i think its wrong they are charging same price as pros!
grrrrrr

do you get many people who " Barter" you down in price to have there nails done?

Wow, maybe she thinks that's £9 for EACH nail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

ok, well putting aside what you are charging, you need to think of it this way, would you ever go into asda, fill your trolley , get to checkout and then barter? NO, probably not, do you think she does? nope. Dont pay the slightest bit of attention. Its the same thing, she is just chancing you, trying it on.

Stick to your guns, its very good practise for you to start getting firm now. You will need that skill as you progress, believe me! Its taken me two years to toughen up and grow some....

I would not worry what others are charging just because other techs charge £15 does not mean you can not charge more, I would charge realistically what you think you are worth, not what others charge.

When I was practising I never advertised as being student I just done as many friends and family for free rather than the public as they imo are nightmares 9/10 of time in these situations (type of clients you attract).

xxxx

Look .. it's really simple. When you quote such cheap prices you attrtact cheap clients. I would at least go for 15.00. AND let everyone know that after a limited period of time the price will rise to the normal sort of price charged for such a service.

What do you think of this? 27 years ago I was charging 35.00 for a full set. By the time I left my desk (as the owner and senior stylist), I was charging 75.00 for a full set. Anyone today charging less than 35.00, once competent, is being just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Look .. it's really simple. When you quote such cheap prices you attrtact cheap clients. I would at least go for 15.00. AND let everyone know that after a limited period of time the price will rise to the normal sort of price charged for such a service.

What do you think of this? 27 years ago I was charging 35.00 for a full set. By the time I left my desk (as the owner and senior stylist), I was charging 75.00 for a full set. Anyone today charging less than that, once competent, is being just plain stupid.

£75 for a full set :O omg. The highest price in salons round my area is £35 !

right thank you geeg i will start charging £15

I qualified 2 months ago and am charging £15 per set. People are snapping my hand off at that.

I dont know when I'll feel confident charging full price though, I still feel sick with nerves every time I sit down to do a set lol.

The 'chop shop' near me charge £30 for a full set, and a salon near me doing calgel charge £35 for a full set. I was thinking of charging £30 but can't decide if people will pay it, but then I'm going to try that and see.

I remember geeg I think, once saying that people don't always go for the cheapest anyway, assuming that a higher price means higher quality, so I'm sticking with that :D

People definitely don't always go for the cheapest. When I was charging a reduced rate for eyelash extensions, £50, someone had left a voicemail asking me to call back an confirm prices. So I called her back and said they were £50. In the time between her leaving a message and me callig her back she had booked with someone who charged £100 and said she'll just stick with them. So charging too little can definitely work against you.

Then there's the people that always want it cheaper, like the person who contacted you. I have someone emailig me asking when I'll be doing the reduced price again. Em, never!

thanks everyone for the comments.

I will start advertising at the price of £15. I just didnt no what to charge or anything i thought charge £9 to literally cover costs of materials and help me gain practice.

But now i no to charge that bit extra :) thanks x

Hi Miss Giggles,
Just red your post - I am having the same dilemma as you - am still training/practicing and wondering how much to charge ....people were biting my hand off to come and practice when I wasnt charging anything, but I cant do that forever...so I have started charging or asking for a donation (as my tutor said) for my products - I was thinking along the lines of a tenner for acrylics but reading these posts might ask for £15

Hi Miss Giggles,
Just red your post - I am having the same dilemma as you - am still training/practicing and wondering how much to charge ....people were biting my hand off to come and practice when I wasnt charging anything, but I cant do that forever...so I have started charging or asking for a donation (as my tutor said) for my products - I was thinking along the lines of a tenner for acrylics but reading these posts might ask for £15

Phew i felt like i was only one ! haha. Thing is thou our tutor hasnt even said a "price" we should we offering our services at while we are still practicing.

I havent been charging anything for family as been practicing on them , but i feel now i got a bit of confidence behind me to go into public.

another questions girls if you dont mind :)

How much do you charge for nail art? if its basic flicks etc.

Why dont you work on the basis of 50p per minute for now. Guage your casts like that. After all .. people are paying for you TIME at the end of the day. Your products will = about 12-15% of your service cost. The rest is for everything else with some left over for YOU (which is why you are working right?).

I do all my costs on making at least .75 per minute.

Why dont you work on the basis of 50p per minute for now. Guage your casts like that. After all .. people are paying for you TIME at the end of the day. Your products will = about 12-15% of your service cost. The rest is for everything else with some left over for YOU (which is why you are working right?).

I do all my costs on making at least .75 per minute.

Thank you ! , i feel like i have a better frame of mind now with working things out and prices x:lol:

Hi, i charge £20.00 for a full set of Acrylics.. i have had in the back of my mind some doubt over wether it was too much too charge whilst im still newly qualified(10 months) But after reading the girls comments im confident that im charging an affordable amount for people to pay. At the end of the day like Geeg says it is YOUR valuable time, effort, concentration and costs. people have to respect that and understand that with the majority they are getting a bloody good job,. This site has taught me some very good lessons, one of them being CONFIDENCE in what you do,when you have that along with your passion you will go far.. and realise that £15.00/£20.00 for a full set is damn worth it !! xxx:Grope:

Hi, i charge £20.00 for a full set of Acrylics.. i have had in the back of my mind some doubt over wether it was too much too charge whilst im still newly qualified(10 months) But after reading the girls comments im confident that im charging an affordable amount for people to pay. At the end of the day like Geeg says it is YOUR valuable time, effort, concentration and costs. people have to respect that and understand that with the majority they are getting a bloody good job,. This site has taught me some very good lessons, one of them being CONFIDENCE in what you do,when you have that along with your passion you will go far.. and realise that £15.00/£20.00 for a full set is damn worth it !! xxx:Grope:

Actually the nails are not worth that price. They arecworth more than that price. 20.00 for a cpmpetent set of nails is simply way too cheap ... Almost half the price they should be.

Latest posts

Back