Why does this annoy me so much?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hey geeks! I really need to vent here. One of my not really close family members has just decided that she is now 'doing gel nails'. She has put on Facebook that will do them £10!! No course, no prior interest in beauty at all!! She just wants to make a quick buck.
She put a pic of them on Facebook and OMG! I'm no nail technician, but I do know a bit about nails and how they are supposed to look. These things were done using plastic white tips (nothing wrong with the) but the tips looked like Egyptian hats on her fingers and some of them were too wide for her nails and too far down the nail bed!!! The nails themselves were as flat as a pancake. No arch, no shape!! By people were commenting on them saying they were fab! I had to use every ounce of willpower I had not to put a comment on saying "what training are you going through and what system are you using? I take it you have insurance and you know about having to prime the nails before applying product and how to build your C curve? And are you going to be adding sculpting to your reportoire?
Why? WHY do these people think that this job is so easy that they can just buy rubbish off eBay an declare one day that they now "do nails"? It infuriates me!
Another friend in Facebook said that she fancied doing a Shellac course!!! No background in beauty at all!! One person said to her, "do a nouveau eyelash course. Cheap as chips and money to be made"!!!!
Oh yes, our job is sooooooo easy............. Or maybe we are just so good at it that we make it look that way!!!
Sorry for the rant geeks!!!

I really wouldnt worry. The kind of people who would be satisfied with naff £10 nails are not my sort of clients!! She's not going to get people coming back is she!
It's not even competition!!

I know it can be annoying but it really is quite common and one us pro's see a lot. As Lucy said, people that like nails like that are not the clients we necessarily want (maybe we need to change people's way of thinking but a hard task)
I must admit I dabbled in the kits bought in boots on myself and it was that which sparked my passion for nails so you never know she may have found her calling so to speak, and will end up doing it properly. It is wrong though offering to and charging clients without being in training or qualified and not with insurance.

the friend on fb. Nothing wrong with saying that really as she said she wanted to go on the course so surely that's a good thing wanting to train in a good product.? (she would have to do manicure first though)

I think we do make our job look easy. And it is frustrating when people think its quick and easy money.But it's bloody hard work nOt to mention the cost in training and products. Let them dabble ,let them make mistakes and have it tough and you never know, they may come out the other side!!

E xx

With short courses being so accessable there will be more who see it as a hobby or easy way to make money. I have seen a few pop up near me. However the true professional will always stand out. Near me a salon has set up - loads of cheap offers bikini wax £5 etc etc, however it looks like it sounds! Frustrating I know and a couple of my clients have actually been there - but they wouldn't go back.:wink2:

I know its frustrating when you've spent good time and money on your own training, but really, dont let it worry you. All she will do is generate work for an experienced qualified tech, because these £10 ladies will be looking for someone to sort the mess out that she creates!

I hear you babe. Samething around here. When I started nail school I was 18 and a friend found out and joined the same classm couldnt even paint nails on her right hand!. On our final exam I got 98 she got a 72. Her nails were so bad her mom would come to me to get them fixed! Soon she dropped down 25 bucks a set because she couldnt keep clients. So what does she do? Join an aesthetics course. Last I heard she had been doin bumpy nails with cut up cuticals and waxed somebodys hooohaa off at a salon desprate for people. She is no longer working in either field. Should she try hair next?

I hear you babe. Samething around here. When I started nail school I was 18 and a friend found out and joined the same classm couldnt even paint nails on her right hand!. On our final exam I got 98 she got a 72. Her nails were so bad her mom would come to me to get them fixed! Soon she dropped down 25 bucks a set because she couldnt keep clients. So what does she do? Join an aesthetics course. Last I heard she had been doin bumpy nails with cut up cuticals and waxed somebodys hooohaa off at a salon desprate for people. She is no longer working in either field. Should she try hair next?

This did make me laugh!!

In response to your rant, I fully understand, there will always be people in any field who feel they can make a quick buck out of something. We're in a creative industry so people do think that they can buy a cheap kit and get going! Really, with no proper training or insurance they're not offering a service, just having a mess around. Having no insurance could also backfire on her too, same as I doubt she'd uphold consultations?
Really though, don't let this worry you, she'll leave her nail legacy behind in the form of clients that then go to you. A girl I know recently did an acrylics course (which I'm not qualified in, I admit) but from her pictures on facebook show she doesn't blend tips and classes a nail extension as nothing more than a tip stuck to the nail. People are getting what they pay for with nail techs like her. Take pride in what you do, it's a learned skill!

My post seems really long, I think I got carried away! :D

yes i agree with what you all say and it is annoying that so many people think they can jump on the band wagon

but

everyone has to start some where

and while she might be going about it the wrong way , she will come to the stage where she will either give up

or recognise that she needs to get proper training, get it and become a great nail tech.

while it might gall you at the moment the best thing to do is put your head down and concentrate on your own business.

one way or the other there are only so many clients that any person can fit in one day so if you have a full book ..that's it .. the others have to go some where else.

I live on an estate that makes shameless look like chelsea! i have lots of ppl asking me to lower my price as so called technicians do it alot cheaper, i never budge . my answer is always no, i do not want these ppl as clients, i have a regular client base who never questions my prices, i dont let these cheapo wannabes affect my life or my price list! xxx:D

I spent this morning sorting out my daughter-in-law's nails as she'd been a model for her friend to 'try out some new nail products'.....apparently she thought it was okay to try and cure gel over badly applied tips using a hot air fan dryer that she bought for a fiver off ebay!!!
Oh lordy, save me!! Daughter in law thought it hilarious as she'd been my model for my Harmony training so she'd seen what its like, this girl did no prep either...the worrying thing is she has a nail party booked shortly and thinks £25 per set is more than reasonable! She'll be lucky if she gets paid anything at all judging by what I saw this morning!! Im not worried about the competitiion, funnily enough...:D

I think we need to remember that we all started somewhere... These people need to be nudged in the direction of training so they can be professionals like us x

Absolutely agree, but the problem arises when someone comes along who thinks any idiot can do a set of nails, and then tries to do it, charging money along the way! If young girls want nails that look like spades with humungus lines where the well hasnt been blended properly or at all, then do we let them get on with it?
Most of us spend a lot of money and a lot of time practising trying to perfect a set of natural looking nails after training and when we see what some of these nails look like it makes me want to ..well... you know....grrr!
As I said, Im not worried, 'cos I dont want the 'set for a tenner' clients anyway..
I spent 2 hours last night trying to remove a set of tips from another salon (not NSS either!)that had probably been glued on with superglue with half an inch (ok, slight exaggeration..) of gel over them last night, complete with greeny underneath...makes you wonder, doesnt it..?

I think we need to remember that we all started somewhere... These people need to be nudged in the direction of training so they can be professionals like us x

I agree with you in principle but I do think you should only work on the general public if you have undergone some form of recognized training and have insurance - I assume that a portion of this people do not, which is the worrying part. In some countries I believe you have to have a license to practise - maybe this should be inforced here.......

My husbands friends girlfriend has just decided to buy a spray tan tent/machine, no qualification, no insurance, his friend apparently said to him at work ... there's nothing to spray tanning it's that easy. (lol)

I can't wait until she gets her first lot of orange hands/feet, or patchy tan :D

I have 2 litres of brown bitz spray tan for sale as I've swapped to vani-t, my hubby said to his mate why doesn't your mrs buy it, (I don't advocate selling to non professionals btw lol my hubby thought he was doing me a favour) his mate said no, that's sh*t & she's gone for fakebake it's the best, fact!

honestly why such arrogance? how would he know if brownbitz was any good or not? Joke! anyone would think he was a tan professional! :confused:

(if I remember rightly anyway you have to send qualifications off to fakebake to open your account)

I qualified a year ago, I admit it's not brain surgery but I wouldn't go as far to say it's 'easy' & 'there's nothing to it'

I can't wish people like this the best as they expect everything handed to them on a plate! x

It's not just about what the nails look like (although by all accounts hers aren't looking great lol)

They are most certainly not going to last and she will get no repeat business or recommendations.

Annoying, yes, but I wouldn't lose sleep :twisted:

My irritation comes from people that go to them and then decide they don't like a certain service bc "its bad for their nails" ugh. Don't get me wrong I love educating my clients. Buy sometimes I feel like I'm DEFENDING my profession instead. Tiresome.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back