Why the sudden surge in No Shows!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way to avoid sitting around is instead of turning clients away put them on a waiting list, let them know if someone cancels you'll ring them. Chiro does this and it works well very few no shows and if someone does cancel spot is filled. Usually clients can get to you pretty quick if fitted in.

One way to avoid sitting around is instead of turning clients away put them on a waiting list, let them know if someone cancels you'll ring them. Chiro does this and it works well very few no shows and if someone does cancel spot is filled. Usually clients can get to you pretty quick if fitted in.

Yeah, but when people just don't show up, it's too late to start calling around.
You can if someone cancels for 6 pm and it's 10 am, but if you have 10 am not show up and you realise that by 10:15- 10:20 and your next appoitment is at 11 am, then bye bye. Time wasted.

Do you call to confirm clients a day or 2 prior. Always? I also invested in genbook. Genbook emails people 2 emails. Appointment confirmation (at the time of booking) and then exactly 24 hrs prior to the appointment.

posts crossed..:green:

The system is about 6 months also. I looked through and got 2 no shows in June (month she joined), 4 in July and August, September 5 and October in total about 9/10.

We do get LOTS of online bookings but there doesnt seem to be a pattern of it being down to that - 50/50 I'd say.

Local competition yes I could see that so if it is I hope they bored.

I didn't want to enforce a deposit for new customers - I'd hate that as a customer myself.

It is bad though - I can see that from you guys' responses!!!

I request credit card number from all new clients. I always explain nicely why (we don't overbook etc) and people understand. I don't appologise for it. That's our policy.
If they don't want to use their credit card, that's not a problem, they can just stop by and see if one of us has time :)
If I was booking a massage appointment or whatever and someone asked for cc # I would be fine with that

Even if you dont wanna keep the number on file, run the credit card for $5 as deposit.
That applies to new clients only.

I can't imagine allowing people to book online without credit card number. For all I know some shmuck can be bored across the world and book a million fake appointments.
Look, when we book flights- we pay for them right?
Can you only IMAGINE what would happen to the airlines/travel industry if they allowed people to book without deposit and pay AFTER they would reach the destination?
Why are we different?

This week has been my worst for no shows and cancellations, also the salon I freelance at has the same. We have put it down to half term . ( hopefully) On one of my mobile days this week I had £80 worth of treatments cancelled at the last minute. One wants to re-book but this is the second time she has done this so I think I will be "fully booked" in future, fortunateley the other one is a relaible regular and has re-booked for the 10th. Still it is disappointing on the day. Car all loaded up and then a text as you are about to leave. Aaaarrrghh.

Before you fire her as client- give her a chance to pay for that missed appointment.
I have had many people pay for their missed appointments. They value my time, I respect theirs. They don't have to feel guilty and I don't have to be upset. Everyone is happy.

I'm not pointing fingers but often we do it to ourselves. If we let them, they will. I would take pre-payments ESPECIALLY if I worked mobile.
If you in a busy salon it's much easier to fill in late cancellation slot. Mobile? Not so much.

Also, it's how we react to those dreaded calls. Too often I hear "oh, you have to cancel for this afternoon? No problem, would you like to rebook?"

What the heck is "no problem"??!!!
I trained the receptionist to act very suprised and very concerned because a tragedy must have just happened. Never attitude though.
We always say "oh, we had an full hour booked only for you....." w/very concerned voice. Asking if they know anyone who would like to take their appointment also works.
We then remind them about our 24 hr policy rule. The first time the are forgiven, but next time it's $15 for cancelling within few hours (because we are usually unable to find another client for that spot- if we do- i don't charge them)

If they are no shows, and we got hold of them 15 minutes after their appointment they usually don't want to rebook right away and we don't encourage that. It's better if they call when they "have more time". When they call again we explain that they have to pay for the missed appointment (full price).

I should mention. We have no tipping policy so they can't say "oh well, I tip well and you charge me now?"

Also, it's little easier when you work in a busy salon. If there is few techs, hair stylists the spots get filled in. For techs working alone- it sucks.

Thanks everyone...lets hope its a blip on the landscape. Totally get the point about online bookings. Mine wont let me take deposits from people as its a US software though. New customers have to request - so I dont tend to get too many messers via the online system tbh. My antenna is up and alert to these changes lol! and I'm willing to do whatever to maintain the reputation and service we have.
I think the realistic solution is charge £10 deposit for all new customers.

I'm gonna drop a klanger .... what do you describe as HD brows?
How do you compare to your competition?

Is it just a shape and define (but promoted as HD)

HD brows confuse me, I can get a brow shape and tint for very little money (and they don't call it HD brows) many clients are catching on to this and may ring somewhere else and ask what's included in a basic service and find it is the same as HD (but half the price ....because it's not called HD), customers will shop around .... many will say "yes" (because they don't want to feel intimidated by the price), then they will go elsewhere.

We are living in the era of money saving, value for money, online shopping and the ability to Google within your area .... these will all attribute to what you are describing

get those offer and discounts out

Discounts? Offers? That is going to stop no shows?

NailZoo - I was one of the first in the area to do official HD Brows and charge £30. All my regulars are happy to pay this and I had to train another person (send them) for HD Brow training as is so popular! Since we did we have had 6 others in close proximity train also but I'm just as busy. Doesnt worry me as we are full with Shellac and Brows. What does worry me are the 'no show's,.

Geeg - I'm SO with you on this. I rarely discount (never for myself) only team members as a package price or extra loyalty points for say a Tuesday. I dont do discounts, offers, deal sites or otherwise. I do a fantastic service for a fair price and I'm full. Just a tough week or so with a few no shows that are V weird!!

Mrs P, no shows come in flows I've found (always seems to be when you really need the money too) any walk-ins that book have to leave a deposit.
If people ring and live local, ask if they can pop in with a deposit. Or see if they will deposit via Paypal. Always get their number, if they don't show, call them, if they don't answer, call them from another number (incase they recognise the first) just to let them know you are onto them.
You can even try getting credit card details (but most don't like this), however it does make them realise you have a business to run and are on the ball.

I'm actually quite humorous on the phone with new clients, I tell them if they don't show I will call them at 4am to remind them that they forgot, or I will add their number to a charity list. I get pretty good response from this and they join in the joke (but it does affirm I am serious).

Nearly every client I have is a referral and whoever tells them about me, also tells them I am The Nail Nazi :lol:

I'm actually quite humorous on the phone with new clients, I tell them if they don't show I will call them at 4am to remind them that they forgot, or I will add their number to a charity list. I get pretty good response from this and they join in the joke (but it does affirm I am serious).

Nearly every client I have is a referral and whoever tells them about me, also tells them I am The Nail Nazi :lol:

Priceless! And a great idea! :) I love it!!:Love:

Back