You Gotta Be Kidding Me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These people are a joke. But you always get them, they are usualy the types of people who think that people in our industry are thick and anyone can do our job. I also find that people assume that because I do nails i must not be very business savvy and some ask me if they book more than one treatment can I get a deal with you etc. Im not desperate for money thanks, why would I give away my time and potential earnings to someone who I owe nothing to when I could go to another client down the road who would pay the full price!

I had someone ring me up the other day asking me advice on a home dye because there hair had gone ginger, she wanted step bye step instructions on how to rehilight her hair. I had cut this girls hair once. If it had been a regular client who rang me up apolagetic and wanting advice, I knew they had the intentions to rebook etc I would not have minded but come on! I say if they think they can do a better job, then let them get on with it. I dont care and dont want to know about it, be part of it advise or help with it or be associated with it.. its rediculouse, at the end of the day you have to pay for perfection, and sometimes it doent come cheap. Thats out job, to make the treatment perfect. I dont go to my beauty therapist/massage therapist friend for a treatment and say, oh my friend can massage my back for me in the kitchen at home, can she come and watch you one time. CRINGE at the thaught of it. NO one is FORCING you to for a treatment, so if your coming dont begrudge paying for it, go on about so and so being cheaper down the road etc. I would love to say to them "well why are you here then?" GRR this has only happened to me a few times, but I can stand negative ignorent people with no manners! x

These people are a joke. But you always get them, they are usualy the types of people who think that people in our industry are thick and anyone can do our job. I also find that people assume that because I do nails i must not be very business savvy and some ask me if they book more than one treatment can I get a deal with you etc. Im not desperate for money thanks, why would I give away my time and potential earnings to someone who I owe nothing to when I could go to another client down the road who would pay the full price!

I had someone ring me up the other day asking me advice on a home dye because there hair had gone ginger, she wanted step bye step instructions on how to rehilight her hair. I had cut this girls hair once. If it had been a regular client who rang me up apolagetic and wanting advice, I knew they had the intentions to rebook etc I would not have minded but come on! I say if they think they can do a better job, then let them get on with it. I dont care and dont want to know about it, be part of it advise or help with it or be associated with it.. its rediculouse, at the end of the day you have to pay for perfection, and sometimes it doent come cheap. Thats out job, to make the treatment perfect. I dont go to my beauty therapist/massage therapist friend for a treatment and say, oh my friend can massage my back for me in the kitchen at home, can she come and watch you one time. CRINGE at the thaught of it. NO one is FORCING you to for a treatment, so if your coming dont begrudge paying for it, go on about so and so being cheaper down the road etc. I would love to say to them "well why are you here then?" GRR this has only happened to me a few times, but I can stand negative ignorent people with no manners! x

soooo true about people thinking we are thick and our jobs are easy! i qualified in hairdressing and beauty therapy, i carried on with beauty because it was more my thing and it came natural to me, now hairdressing on the other hand .... :eek:...... i will honestly tell my clients about my sweeny todd days of hairdressing, i am awful! i love cutting (i'm about a 5 out of 10) and colouring hair but sets and perms are a big no no. the only peoples hair i cut is my mums and sisters and maybe a few close friends and family members, but its on the condition that if i mess it up more fool them!! when i say to people that i can't do it very well and i only learnt how to do a french plait last year they laugh and say 'really?!' as if to say .... surely its easy?! which no its not and i respect anyone who can do it. i find alot of my clients phoning me last minute for waxing appointments because they're going on holiday and have bought veet strips from tesco and haven't been able to use them, or they haven't worked, so are badgering me for last minute appointments, i find it quite funny, one client asked me where i got my wax pot from, i would love to see someone who wasnt trained trying to use a wax pot!

soooo true about people thinking we are thick and our jobs are easy! i qualified in hairdressing and beauty therapy, i carried on with beauty because it was more my thing and it came natural to me, now hairdressing on the other hand .... :eek:...... i will honestly tell my clients about my sweeny todd days of hairdressing, i am awful! i love cutting (i'm about a 5 out of 10) and colouring hair but sets and perms are a big no no. the only peoples hair i cut is my mums and sisters and maybe a few close friends and family members, but its on the condition that if i mess it up more fool them!! when i say to people that i can't do it very well and i only learnt how to do a french plait last year they laugh and say 'really?!' as if to say .... surely its easy?! which no its not and i respect anyone who can do it. i find alot of my clients phoning me last minute for waxing appointments because they're going on holiday and have bought veet strips from tesco and haven't been able to use them, or they haven't worked, so are badgering me for last minute appointments, i find it quite funny, one client asked me where i got my wax pot from, i would love to see someone who wasnt trained trying to use a wax pot!
Sweeney Todd!!! LMAO. I think some people just sit there and think it looks so easy any old tom, Fred or harry could do it!. Maybe Tom, Fred and Harry COULD if they TRAINED! xx

Last edited:
Sweeney Todd!!! LMAO. I think some people just sit there and think it looks so easy any old tom, Fred or harry could do it!. Maybe Tom, Fred and Harry COULD if they TRAINED! xx

lol i have seen the outcome of one of my friends who i quote 'yeh i watch my hairdresser and its a piece of p***' i've never seen someones hair so hacked at. she used to cut loads of our friends hair and highlight and everything. hillarious.

It's unreal !!!! What a nerve !!!!

lol i have seen the outcome of one of my friends who i quote 'yeh i watch my hairdresser and its a piece of p***' i've never seen someones hair so hacked at. she used to cut loads of our friends hair and highlight and everything. hillarious.
OMG well, they deserve naff hair if they're gonna use untrained peeps....

you will always get people looking at things saying that is easy, I can do that!!!!!!!

You should have said the reason it keeps chipping is because u haven't thinned it with acetone, and told her its a common problem, u cud have been really helpful and topped her bottles up, gave them a good shake and said that shud be fine now and easier to apply! Ha ha

That is FANTASTIC advice!! :lol:

Anyways she asked me whether I had ever used salon geek and in her words said 'well ive found this site that tells me exactly how I need to use it and answers any issues you have with it so I know Ill be fine with doing it'...............and then proceeded to tell me that she thought I was applying it wrong as she had read on Salon Geek I shouldnt be (her words)...'Doing the edge like I do' .......I love the termonology of those with erm expertise...Not!!!!!!x

What a shocking thread!

Is there no way CND can stop their professional products being sold to the public on ebay?
I too love Salon Geek, but really wish it was a professional only site. :sad:

People should try doing a beauty therapy/massage/hairdressing course then see how "easy" it is. One of my clients was talking about her daughter leaving school and how she wanted to go on a beauty course to which the MOTHER replied "she's far too smart for that!" bearing in mind I was doing a beauty treatment for her at the time! They can be so cheeky it's unreal! X

People should try doing a beauty therapy/massage/hairdressing course then see how "easy" it is. One of my clients was talking about her daughter leaving school and how she wanted to go on a beauty course to which the MOTHER replied "she's far too smart for that!" bearing in mind I was doing a beauty treatment for her at the time! They can be so cheeky it's unreal! X

I reeeeaallyyyy hope you got to wax her...

Personally I would have started reeling off every bone and muscle in the face and body and exactly what they do (drummed in much haha) then see her face when she goes where did u learn all that? 'oh you know, beauty school' then go on to diseases with big words shes probably never even heard of.

I have to say, I click onto some hairdressing posts just to have a nosey and can't understand them most of the time! Doesn't sound very simple to me...!

I'm the original poster of this thread. And here's an update. The client emailed the Salon Owner stating that she had never been so humiliated in her life having been thrown out and banned from the only 5-star nail spa in her home city by someone "too stupid to go to college and get a real job," meaning me. She demanded an apology from me and that she be allowed back in for nail services; however, I would not be "allowed" to perform her services.

Here's my owner's response, bits and pieces because it was rather lengthy...just the best bits. I thought it was worth sharing:

....Ms. Swain (me) is a valued member of the Divine team; however, your expectations of her were not only unreasonable, they were completely unrealistic. She is a trained professional with years of education and training. What you did was insulting to say the least.
...After reviewing your service record, I see that you came to see Ms. Swain on 21 different occasions; she has "a real job" and apparently she does it very well or you wouldn't have returned 21 times for her services.
... Ms. Swain will not apologize to you. I will not allow it. It is you that owes Ms. Swain an apology.
...Do not concern yourself with Ms. Swain performing your services here at Divine. None of our nail team will perform your services. Nor will any of our other service providers. You are no longer welcome at Divine Designs.

....I work hard to keep valued clients, Ms. ********: I will not risk any member of my team, and I value my team, for clients that are not valued. Madam, you are not a valued client.

...And for the record, Ms. Tammie Swain has Master's Degree.

Good Day, Madam.

SR

(I love my Salon Owner!)

I'm the original poster of this thread. And here's an update. The client emailed the Salon Owner stating that she had never been so humiliated in her life having been thrown out and banned from the only 5-star nail spa in her home city by someone "too stupid to go to college and get a real job," meaning me. She demanded an apology from me and that she be allowed back in for nail services; however, I would not be "allowed" to perform her services.

Here's my owner's response, bits and pieces because it was rather lengthy...just the best bits. I thought it was worth sharing:

....Ms. Swain (me) is a valued member of the Divine team; however, your expectations of her were not only unreasonable, they were completely unrealistic. She is a trained professional with years of education and training. What you did was insulting to say the least.
...After reviewing your service record, I see that you came to see Ms. Swain on 21 different occasions; she has "a real job" and apparently she does it very well or you wouldn't have returned 21 times for her services.
... Ms. Swain will not apologize to you. I will not allow it. It is you that owes Ms. Swain an apology.
...Do not concern yourself with Ms. Swain performing your services here at Divine. None of our nail team will perform your services. Nor will any of our other service providers. You are no longer welcome at Divine Designs.

....I work hard to keep valued clients, Ms. ********: I will not risk any member of my team, and I value my team, for clients that are not valued. Madam, you are not a valued client.

...And for the record, Ms. Tammie Swain has Master's Degree.

Good Day, Madam.

SR

(I love my Salon Owner!)

Your boss needs a huge pat on the back!!!!!
Her response was excellent and the most important part, she supported the person she should have supported...you!

I hope that you can now move on from this terrible experience and hold your head high and know you are clearly valued by your boss and you clearly work in a lovely place.

The only thing I think cold happen from this is, the EX client slandering your/the salon name around town and if it was me, and I got wing of this happening (through the grape vine) I would seek legal advice and make her stop.
This client was so in the wrong, there are no real nice words to describe her behavior, let alone Fleabay for allowing this to happen.

I also think the best way to protect our great SG site from DIYers is to be very careful what we post in our replies/threads.
I will admit I sometimes read threads where someone asks for some basic step by steps of prep etc and I think to myself, if you were trained you would know that by now and I feel it's a DIYer.

I wish there was something we could all do to stop Fleabay but I know I will now hunt on my Aussie site and find any sellers that are selling pro only products and I will hound Fleabay to do something about them and report them to the company involved (CND etc).
I actually just went and did a search just now and found one one seller who sells CND powders/liquids and nothing else to do with nails, his/her other items are all furniture items and not even salon furniture, so that's fishy as far as I am concerned.

To any DIYers out there who think being a beauty therapist/nail tech/hairdresser is easy and does not require a brain, think again because this industry requires loads of training and brains and hard work, so it's those who think it doesn't that is lacking in the brain department cause they clearly have no idea what they are talking about and by making such statements, make themselves seem really brainless!!!!!

The world is full of amateur hairdressers. Most had a saturday job in a salon at 15, and try and behave as though they are the same as me.
The trouble is that we make it look easy. Lets face it, we would be in trouble if we didn't.

I had an ex beauty therapist trying to poach highlight clients because she had seen us do it, and figured it looked easy! No doubt there were tiger stripes in the outcome!

All you can do is rise above it, and concentrate on the clients who do respect our expertise. Oh, and use technical terms only when posting on here.

We often get people asking for colour advice over on hair, and as soon as we go into technical language, we spot that they are not hairdressers. Same with hair extensions which we have a big problem with at the moment.

Tammy, I love your boss too! :hug:

Wouldn't it be great if the professional forum was strictly private to only professionals?

I used to own a property abroad and the only way we could join the forum was by proving we had a property by faxing/emailing proof of ID and utility bills. Shame this can't be done on here, that way keeping amateurs and professionals strictly separate. Although I do realise it would involve a huge amount of time for admin but maybe this could be incorporated into a compulsory fee to become a pro-only premium geek?

Is this something that could be looked into and would others be interested?

x

With regards to non professionals being able to access this site, I would be more than happy to either pay a small yearly joining fee, where you have to complete areas of your interest & training. Or perhaps even just make the joining a bit harder? like answering a couple of questions on techniques etc?
I have had a few people tell me I have wasted my time and money on training as you can get it all for free, 24/7 on here, and that I may as well have spent it on products!
A friend actually compared it to carpet fitting(?) - its easy to copy and looks pretty straighforward, so I OFFERED her my brush, l&p and a false nail and told her to go ahead and try and copy what I have been learning and practising for months. She was amazed with just trying to pick up a bead being so tricky, let alone shaping, filing etc. Enough said, she never asked again!

Going to do a separate thread for this, to see what the response is.

Sorry to hijack the OP thread. :hug: x

Wouldn't it be great if the professional forum was strictly private to only professionals?
I used to own a property abroad and the only way we could join the forum was by proving we had a property by faxing/emailing proof of ID and utility bills. Shame this can't be done on here, that way keeping amateurs and professionals strictly separate. Although I do realise it would involve a huge amount of time for admin but maybe this could be incorporated into a compulsory fee to become a pro-only premium geek?
x

Yes, I for one am all for this & would pay any additional fee for this.
It would be a great idea to do a poll on this or separate thread!
The tagline for Salon Geek is "The professioanls community" - Yet it isn't just for the professionals.
I do understand that this would be very time consuming, but surely worth it to have a strictly professional froum. x

x

With regards to non professionals being able to access this site, I would be more than happy to either pay a small yearly joining fee, where you have to complete areas of your interest & training. Or perhaps even just make the joining a bit harder? like answering a couple of questions on techniques etc?
!
I do pay a small yearly fee , look into premium membership , I wouldn't know or be able to do half of what I can today with out salon geek so I'm more than happy to pay a bit and give a little back , I think more of us should do it! even if we do not intend to write tutorials or run social groups on here. alot of us have made our money through what we have learned here ! or the people we have met ect ...

I would be against Making the pro parts privet ! Why?
because as good as it sounds, how did I and I'm sure 10000's of others find salon geek ? GOOGLE! Granted I was already at collage ect but struggling and googled for answers,
here it was like a mirage in the web desert ........ i think others deserve to be able to find it to !

Okay you will always find the untrained , the wannabees , they dumb ones and the ones who buy there bits on e bay and probably never get to the bottom of a bottle of shellac or what ever it is ,you may even find the odd one or 2 that come and ask you how to do it like the opening poster did , but how many years has she been working in salons and how many times has this happened? I am almost sure its very far and few between ?
I bet doctors get it more often than salons when people bring in there medical dictionary's and the like!:eek:
sure they may read here or look at the countless education videos on you tube but do the few really affect your business or the strength of the nail industry as a whole that much ?

Latest posts

Back