young drivers insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
well as you may or not know, my 19 yr old son passed his driving test today,
and now im in a predicament lol
we have a car and ive been trying to get insurance quotes for him
first, to get his own banger and get insurance for him to build up his no claims etc
or second, to put him on our insurance as a named driver, but as fully comp,

have trawled the net and its soo expensive im getting quotes on an old banger and its about 1300.00 plus a yr
but to go on our insurance its dead cheaper but it will only insure him as 3rd party obviousely if he were to use our car id want him fully comp, incase he rights it off ( god forbid)
but have any of you got any ideas
my head is aching from going through all the sites!!

do you have teenagers insured with you or do they have their own cars and insurance?

any advice??
this is all new to me!!:eek:

Some companies give NCD for aditional drivers so if your son was to go on your insurance he would be able to build up his NC still.

My youngest was 17 when he passed his test and on a 1.1 clio it cost him over £3000.
I can understand why they charge so much but its so unjust and unfair to those young drivers that are carefull.
My lad had a small bump where as he was following a work coleague, said coleague pulled away from the roundabout then slammed on, son went in to the back of him and a claim was made. We found out later the person was wanting a new car and claimed for all kinds of problems not relating to the bump.

My son now has cars that he cant afford to insure as due to the claim its nearing £5000 for a years fully comp at aged 20 :irked:

The insurance go on about the pass plus but they pay out for that and the insurance only discount for the first year so whats the point.

Stick with it chick, i know its a pain in the butt when your sat there hours on end searching for the best deal but believe me there will be one.

Look at compare the market, auto trader insurance, beat that quote and also the ones where they search over 50+ brokers to get the cheapest.

Good luck :hug:

thankyou so much for this, really helps,
back trawling the web after work then!!! lol

Hi,
My son is also 19 yrs old and passed his test a few months ago, like you we trwled through all the websites and phoned round for quotes, my head was spinning.
He eventually settled for one from compare the market, he applied and set up everything online. His payments are £199 per month:eek:, we knew he would have to pay a bit extra for spreading the payments but there is no way he could find that sort of money to pay it outright.
Keep looking you will find one, it will probably be more than you really want to pay but it will be the right one for you.

This is really difficult, i know when i first started, and the same with my 3 brothers, we all had an old car (usually a Fiesta as seem cheaper to insure and easy to get parts - i think it cost about £175!! LOL) and we paid for the insurance monthly with our part time jobs. The first year is going to be really difficult, but once he is past that and can build up some years no claims discounts then the premium will keep lowering.

Some people make the mistake of putting their children under their insurance, they cant build up no claims discount, and also driving around a newer car which is going to cost more to replace/fix if they have a little bang. Then when they come to get their own insurance later on, they have built up no NCD and are in the same position they would have been to start with (ie. very high premium).

I hope you find something suitable :hug:

Does your son buy the lads motor magazines,
if so have a look through them for insurance providers, some of those can be very cheap for him to drive a banger hth

I work for an insurance brokers part time and the quotes for young drivers are through the roof!! but then having seen the way some of them drive (not all) I can understand why.

You are better off getting him an old banger and his own insurance, If you put him on your insurance the price will go up as they will rate him as the main user, this is because they have no control over how much he is actually going to be using the car.

If he does his pass plus it will probably cost him about 150 pounds but with some companies he will get a discount equivalent to one years no claims bonus, but that is only any good if they are the cheapest in the first place, some one else may be cheaper without this! I'd ring round and see if it's cheaper if he's done his pass plus, an insurance broker should be able to tell you a price with and without and you can work out for yourself if it's worth doing it or not? I dont think its a bad thing to have anyway, it teaches them about driving on motorways etc that they wouldnt have any experience of until passing their test.

In my experience a cheap car to insure is either an old fiesta 950cc or a ford Ka! but they dont have good street cred! avoid things like Renault Clio as they are more appealing but are higher rated!

Good luck!

The only reason it's exspensive is because male driver's 17-25 are more likely to have a accident in their first 2 years.

I think you can build NCB as a named driver with Direct Line, i'm not a 100% sure so dont quote me on it. If your insurance policy is Fully Comp he will be covered Fully Comp as well.

Other than that he could get his own insurance, check through confused.com and/or but Max Power/Redline etc and phone the companies advertised in the back.

It's good to be a girlracer hehe

HTH's

The only reason it's exspensive is because male driver's 17-25 are more likely to have a accident in their first 2 years.

I think you can build NCB as a named driver with Direct Line, i'm not a 100% sure so dont quote me on it. If your insurance policy is Fully Comp he will be covered Fully Comp as well.

Other than that he could get his own insurance, check through confused.com and/or but Max Power/Redline etc and phone the companies advertised in the back.

It's good to be a girlracer hehe

HTH's

LOL I second that...i love driving my sporty kitted up car :green:

How about him doing Pass Plus? I passed my test in April and the insurance fo me isn't bad but that's cos of my age but i have heard of 17 - 18 year olds getting £1000s knocked off their insurance after doing the pass plus.
HTH's.

thankyou for all your responses,
i think it will have to be a banger then and his own insurance

i will look into him doing the pass plus too
thanks for taking the time to reply xxxx

I added my daughter onto mine last Monday when she passed and she will get her own ncd and is fully comp and its works out about £300 a year more than I paid just for myself :)

This is just to give you a rough idea (obv i'm female and us women do get our car insurance a little bit cheaper, but you get the idea) of how much it goes down by each year if you don't have a claim.

I was 17 when i passed my test, my first year's insurance cost me £1100. My second year cost £600, 3rd year £450 (inc biz insurance), and 4th year (this year just gone, inc biz insurance) cost me £350.

Ok, so it was a little 1 litre micra with several thousands of miles on the clock, and my insurance was only 3rd party, but i'm now 21 with 4 years no claims & i've just been able to insure an almost brand new car, fully comp and protect my no claims, for just over what I paid last year on the micra.

Imo, the sooner you start building up your no-claims, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Also, a little tip I had from my friend, ring up a few insurance companies and say 'i've had a cheaper quote from someone else, can you beat it?' sometimes they ask who its from, if they do just say you can't remember or your son got the quote so you're not sure and he's not in to ask. Most of the time they'll try to match it ;)

This is just to give you a rough idea (obv i'm female and us women do get our car insurance a little bit cheaper, but you get the idea) of how much it goes down by each year if you don't have a claim.

I was 17 when i passed my test, my first year's insurance cost me £1100. My second year cost £600, 3rd year £450 (inc biz insurance), and 4th year (this year just gone, inc biz insurance) cost me £350.

Ok, so it was a little 1 litre micra with several thousands of miles on the clock, and my insurance was only 3rd party, but i'm now 21 with 4 years no claims & i've just been able to insure an almost brand new car, fully comp and protect my no claims, for just over what I paid last year on the micra.

Imo, the sooner you start building up your no-claims, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Also, a little tip I had from my friend, ring up a few insurance companies and say 'i've had a cheaper quote from someone else, can you beat it?' sometimes they ask who its from, if they do just say you can't remember or your son got the quote so you're not sure and he's not in to ask. Most of the time they'll try to match it ;)

thankyou soo much, its an absolute nightmare, im getting sick of looking lmaoxxx
thanks for the tip though xx

They can only match it if they have the rates to do so... IF you have had a good quote and you want them to beat it you are better off finding out who it is with, what excess it had etc etc and telling the truth! We are able to approach insurance companies for bespoke quotes BUT only with this information, no good us calling them and telling them the customer has had a cheaper quote but they dont know who its with etc, they wont entertain it!

Its amazing how many people call us for a quote, tell us they have had a quote for say 500 pounds, then when the best we can do is 1000 pounds they are suddenly all interested and as 'ooh how much is that a month??' honestly we're not stupid!! :green:

Why not use confused dot com!

My first years insurance on a 1.8 Peug 205 cost me £1300 when I was 21 !

I've had that car 10 years now and it's only been the last couple of years that the insurance was £300 or just a touch below.

I have bought that car 3 times over with the amount I've had to pay on insurance. :eek: :eek:

M.

Yes but it's not just about your car, what if you ploughed your car into a bus stop full of people or hit a brand spanking new ferrari or something?

My first years insurance on a 1.8 Peug 205 cost me £1300 when I was 21 !

I've had that car 10 years now and it's only been the last couple of years that the insurance was £300 or just a touch below.

I have bought that car 3 times over with the amount I've had to pay on insurance. :eek: :eek:

M.

Engine size is a big factor in car insurance - please correct me anyone if i am wrong. A 1.8 engine is large for a new driver - i only ever had 950 cc and 1.1 engines until after i was 25.

Engine size is a big factor in car insurance - please correct me anyone if i am wrong. A 1.8 engine is large for a new driver - i only ever had 950 cc and 1.1 engines until after i was 25.

Oh you are quite right about that.

There are a lot of things they consider, your age, your car and engine size (so which insurance group it falls in), how long you've had your license, no claims history, the area you live in (post code), wheter the car is secure at night or parked on the road etc.

1.8 engine is nothing in my opinion :lol: I have driven some really powerful cars in my time and my car is positively slow against these cars, but I do love her dearly. She is a old girl now :hug:

I think I would rather walk than ever drive anything below a 1.6 :eek: :lol:

M.

Latest posts

Back