2009 - Make or break for your business ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
With all the doom & gloom regarding the credit crunch, recession and having only just got through January into another cold and dark month I was wondering how you think your business will cope in 2009 ?

I am due to go on maternity leave soon and at the moment it is looking like I will have to give up my rented room and then start again in the summer at another salon. A few weeks ago I was at the point where I wasn't even that bothered as business had been that slow in the last 6 - 8 weeks I wasn't even sure if it was worth carrying on. Now in the last week since I have told the salon owner I will be leaving on 20th Feb everybody seems to want treatments !! I have had loads of new clients calling for appointments and had to basically turn them away as they wanted to come in Tuesdays which I don't work, normally I would but physically Im at the point where I need to reduce my hours not increase them !

A lot of my existing clients have now started booking in for extra treatments which is typical as they all want to come AFTER the date im supposed to be leaving !!

It is just my luck that now I am effectively putting my business on hold to have a baby the bookings have gone through the roof !!

If I wasn't leaving then I think the salon would have gone from strength to strength, Im actually considering not leaving and employing someone to cover whilst im on maternity as Im now thinking maybe people are starting to treat themselves more than ever before !!

What do you think 2009 holds for your business ?

well, like alot of people on here, I went through a quiet patch, but, things seem to be picking up. Had about 3 new clients last week.

the training is also taking off so thats taking chunks of my week out of the appointment diary.

I'm considering taking a day off in the week as my weekends are getting booked up, but if training is needed on that day I would do it.

I seem to be busy beginning of the week at one venue and busy at the end of the week at the other venue and then training too.

think people are starting to get back to normal and with things being so depressing, are treating themselves anyway.

I've had a record January, I took more than I did in December & all through the Summer months - funnily enough I haven't worked greater hours, rather people have been having more expensive treatments, such as massage, facials & body wraps.

I'm quite excited about 2009 to be honest! I have already launched two new treatments for January & February (chocolate body wraps in time for Valentine's & the Hydratone add-on for my CACI Ultra). I have also spent quite a bit of time looking at ways of upscaling my basic treatments, adding profit & value but without adding time, and this has been paying off. Late last year I added the callus peel treatment to my pedicures, did everyone's first one at 'cost price' (i.e. just a bit more than cost!) and all of my regular pedicure clients were so blown away they have converted to having it everytime - it takes no longer but adds £10 to the cost of their treatment.

Last edited:
I always have the odd week which is quiet, nothing new for me, but I gained 1 new client last week and I have 2 new clients in this week, and plenty of enquires but not for the kind of Hairdressing I offer (wedding, prom stuff). One of my new clients said to me on the phone that his hairdresser has gone out of business, so if I can stick it out and the others go out of business then it is potencially more gain for me.

Good luck to you all x

I am amazed how busy i was for january usualy i put special offers on in january to try to draw people in but i didnt have time to do any off this it just didnt seem to stop from christmas. February is looking a little quieter though so will be putting some offers on. I must admit though when i talk to my clients most of them say they would rather reduce the amount on their food bill than give up there beauty treatments. So im keeping my fingers crossed for all us business owners for this year.:hug:

I took the same in January as I did in December (bar £100), and February is getting nicely booked up.
Keep on with the marketing, networking and advertising your business and when people DO want treatments it's your name they'll remember.
Be bright, positive, and cherish your clients!

First two weeks of Jan were quiet for me, but picking up now. I feel proud of how my business has built over the last two years, and how my clients say i make them feel. However, I now feel like i need a new challenge! I am still not in the position to buy a high street salon, due to the age of my children, so will have to continue to work from my cabin. I am looking at bringing in new treatments and training in new areas to keep my mind fresh and my business growing. I also would like to get a days work a week in a good quality salon to gain more experience, learn from other therapists etc. I miss having collegues!!! I think that in these trying times we need to be the best we can even more than before, so this year i aim, to add more strings to my bow!!!!

The first 2 wks of jan were so busy then it went quiet, it still is so I am putting together a fantastic launch night on the 18th with almond Manicure as the star, and 2 new services and am booked into 2 wedding fairs. I am busy planning for this and am onto the printers everyday.
I feel great about 2009 I've already met 2 fantstic therapists who I will stay incontact with for my wedding parties, I am knuckling down on all my nail problems and paying a closer eye to my work. I am getting closer to the salons first birthday and aim to be flying. I def want time away from the salon as it hasnt been properly marketed and my bookwork needs improving.

Thanks for the input :)

I think 2009 will actually see smaller salons grow and spas decline. Well I certainly predict that for my area as there are sooooooooooo many spas its a joke !

I had a treatment at a spa on Monday as id had a voucher for xmas and there was only ONE therapist working. Another spa less than a mile from me which NEVER discounts anything has god knows how many offers on and the spa I used to work at (which has only been open for 5 1/2 years) has started to close on Mondays and is offering 50% off any treatment on selected days !!!

I have also been very busy with treatments in the salon as well as people ringing up to ask for a training prospectus. :) I did not expect to be so busy in Jan and Feb let alone with this constant credit crunch on the news. even had 3 new clients this week book for treatments, and noticed clients booking luxury treatments as well. lets hope we all keep ticking over nicely in 2009. :hug:

I've found myself getting busier, gaining new clients and people actually booking more treatments in advance. I definitely feel that small businesses offering a good quality fair priced treatment may actually prosper as people are being more careful with their money. The new clients have come from recommendations when people have asked friends if they know where they can get a reasonably priced treatment. I'm not by any means cheap but I am much cheaper than the very high end salons they have been visiting and a better service especially in this weather as I go to them! :hug:

I done just as good in january as i did in dec which was really good, i think the credit crunch is depressing people into spending to cheer themselves up, not every1 seems to affected by the credit crunch, lots of people r still working & earning a salary, to be honest lots of my friends dont feel directly affected by the ressions at the moment (hope i havnt spoke to soon)

I think u shld do wots best for u & ur family, but emplying som1 wld be my choice as u may have to try & build a client base up somewhere else in the future if u walk away & some1 else steps in to reap the rewards!!

Best of luck whatever u decide & with the baba!!!!

Love Dee xx

February is proving to be a great month for me now, just today I have had 3 new clients booking in for he next couple of weeks, thats ontop of 2 bookings for 2 regulars taken today.

Weirdly, we had a REALLY good January, we were up loads on last year, and last week was effing brill! We did prob £1000 extra than expected for this time of year! This week isnt hugely busy but things are going in the right direction. However, I am fully aware that it could be a fluke and you never know what's round the corner so I am constantly working to get more and more ppl thru the door. Gotta always be thinking about tomorrow. Ive also got back up plans if things go tit-shaped & have thought about getting the salon valuated just in case, also will consider downsizing or having a mobile business if nessasary.
A good girl scout always comes prepared!
Also got some completely non-salon stuff in the pipeline!

So I'm feeling positive about 2009. x

Hey I have only just joined salon geek! I have found this particular thread really interesting!!

I have had my salon now for 2 years 9 month. (wow scary!! didna realise it had been that long!!) and the first few years have been challenging, I toke over an excisting salon, was in the process of doing further training which toke a lot out of my time, I had one therapist go on maternity and then the senior therapist left (had a problem with the fact I was much younger than her).

Each year I have put a lot of money into refurbishment to update the salon and improve the working conditions and productivity. When the news of the credit crunch came I really got worried, I felt that I had done so well to work through the challenges of the first couple of years I did not know how long my luck could last (1 in 3 businesses fail in the first 3 years!!!)

It was really worried abut what 2009 was to bring, and I have been amazed at how busy we have been!! In January we started using computer software rather than a manual book, we do monthly reports and so far each month the reports get better and better!!

I really hope this inspires others as much as it has done me. I am only 21 and although at times it can be hard, the beauty industry seems to be growing inspite of the credit crunch and lets hope it does for years to come!!

I'm very quiet. A few geeks do talks and training how do I get into this as this may help me get more bookings.

Rosie

well, like alot of people on here, I went through a quiet patch, but, things seem to be picking up. Had about 3 new clients last week.

the training is also taking off so thats taking chunks of my week out of the appointment diary.

I'm considering taking a day off in the week as my weekends are getting booked up, but if training is needed on that day I would do it.

I seem to be busy beginning of the week at one venue and busy at the end of the week at the other venue and then training too.

think people are starting to get back to normal and with things being so depressing, are treating themselves anyway.

Latest posts

Back