A-H-A what is it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh8bear

Reaction score
Im looking on the back of my CND a.h.a. cuticle eraser, but I can't see anywhere where it says "a.h.a. stands for".
Could anyone tell me what a.h.a is and what that particular ingredient does.
Also if it is at all damaging to the nail if left on,as it doesn't say remove as other cuticle removers do?

I think its an abbreviation of something something Acid which you can find in other skin creams, its an ingredient that removes dead skin cells and acts as an exfoliant x

p.s shouldn;t think it is damaging you can find it in face creams x

Last edited:
It stands for Alpha Hydroxy Acid. They're derived from milk and fruit sugars and their main purpose is to dissolve the intercellular cement between the layers of skin, acting as an exfoliant.
Depending upon the concentration they can be highly irritant; indeed it is this which is used in chemical peels.

Alpha hydroxy acid, I think.
Its used to help disolve the cuticle.
Alpha-hydroxy acids are a group of organic carboxylic compounds. AHAs most commonly used in cosmetic applications are typically derived from food products including glycolic acid (from sugar cane), lactic acid (from sour milk), malic acid (from apples), citric acid (from citrus fruits) and tartaric acid (from grape wine). For any topical compound, including AHA, it must penetrate into the skin where it can act on living cells. Bioavailability (influenced primarily by small molecular size) is one characteristic that is important in determining compound's ability to penetrate the top layer of the skin. Glycolic acid having the smallest molecular size is the AHA with greatest bioavailability and penetrates the skin most easily; this largely accounts for the popularity of this product in cosmetic applications.
HTH
Jen xx

It is definitely alpha hydroxy acid, surely they wouldn't sell a product and give recommendations as to its use if it was detrimental. It shouldn't damage the nail itself as to be quite honest there are stronger acids out there than AHAs. Leaving the solution you mention on the cuticle will allow it to work, let me know how you get on with it. My cuticules are a bit neglected, as I don't have time for manicures unfortunately.

I doubt the AHA is in a high enough concentration to damage the skin, but I do know that you have to rinse the area with water once you're done to neutralise the product. It works exceedingly well; I use this product on all my manicures, pedicures, Shellac or otherwise.

The action of AHA's are time dependent and need to be neutralised - rinsed off. I should not imagine the levels in the product are very high but I would not use it on damaged cuticles that are sore as it will likely irritate but opt for a nourishing product instead.:)

Hi,

If you log onto the pro area of CND.com, you will find details of all the CND products. The details for this one just state to massage into the skin and nail, it also gives the full ingredients.

Hope that helps!

The action of AHA's are time dependent and need to be neutralised - rinsed off. I should not imagine the levels in the product are very high but I would not use it on damaged cuticles that are sore as it will likely irritate but opt for a nourishing product instead.:)

I agree that if the cuticle is very damaged, split with open areas that clearly extend beyond the epidermis, i wouldn't use it as it would sting. The only AHA I use are used in combinbation for peels but they are very superficial.

Cuticle oil is great but I've never used them often enough for them to be really effective; my problem I know.

I doubt the AHA is in a high enough concentration to damage the skin, but I do know that you have to rinse the area with water once you're done to neutralise the product. It works exceedingly well; I use this product on all my manicures, pedicures, Shellac or otherwise.

I think you are thnking about the Cuticle Remover/Away here Lynn, as a.h.a. Cuticle Eraser does not need to be rinsed off. Or at least it didn't when I used it!! :eek: You just rub it in around the nail plate, remove the non living tissue from the nail plate then use Scrubfresh for a thorough PREP.

Yes it has alpha hydroxy acids in there as it is an exfoliant and it loosens up all the non living tissue on the nail plate making it easier to remove with your metal implement of choice.
aha cuticle eraser also can be used along with Solar Oil as a moisture pack during a luxury manicure, and can be retailed to clients with particularily dry cuticles.

It was my cuticle treatment of choice as I preferred it to Cuticle Remover/Away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the one. Does the cream one in a tube have AHA's in it? I use the tube one with solar oil and a boomerang board to buff into the nail plate for regular manicures, but not for Shellac.

Yep, that's the one. Does the cream one in a tube have AHA's in it? I use the tube one with solar oil and a boomerang board to buff into the nail plate for regular manicures, but not for Shellac.

Yes it does which is why it was called AHA Cuticle Eraser ... :lol: It is a wonderful moisturiser, as AHA attracts moisture to the skin, as well as a mild exfoliant .. AHA Cuticle Eraser is completely safe to use on any skin type and does not need to be (indeed you should not) rinsed off the skin which would defeat the whole purpose of using it. AHA Cuticle Eraser IS MEANT FOR DAILY USE to keep cuticles and skin in tip top condition along with a drop of Solar Oil. Kind of like the combo of shampoo & conditioner only for the nails and surrounding area.

Is it just me or has this thread been very conflictive and confusing?

A perfect example of how even when we geeks are trying to be helpful, by googling and searching for an answer for someone, and then come up with too much generic information and not the actual information the thread starter needs.

Maybe it is because the title is misleading as it just asks what a.h.a's are which some great geeks have googled (or had the knowledge lol!) and posted the answer, speculating on how it relates by talking about other products with this ingredient.

BUT...reading the post the question is about a specific nail care product with aha's in it.

Really some of the answers then do not tally with how this product works.

On the plus side it proved my memory is still in good nick, and it is always good when Geeg agrees with me on a thread :)...although my memory also thinks that all the instructions and ingredients for this product are right there on the tube!

Is it just me or has this thread been very conflictive and confusing?

A perfect example of how even when we geeks are trying to be helpful, by googling and searching for an answer for someone, and then come up with too much generic information and not the actual information the thread starter needs.

Maybe it is because the title is misleading as it just asks what a.h.a's are which some great geeks have googled (or had the knowledge lol!) and posted the answer, speculating on how it relates by talking about other products with this ingredient.

BUT...reading the post the question is about a specific nail care product with aha's in it.

Really some of the answers then do not tally with how this product works.

On the plus side it proved my memory is still in good nick, and it is always good when Geeg agrees with me on a thread :)...although my memory also thinks that all the instructions and ingredients for this product are right there on the tube!

The title is very self explanatory and the answers are in the threads, yes some of them do talk about neutralising and other things but the geek obviously thought it necessary to add. Sometimes you need other information to get the bigger picture, whether the link is obvious or not to the reader. At least it is still on the same topic of AHAs though, I've seen some threads that have gone from a harmless question to a war between geeks with some very nasty comments written.

If it doesn't help the poster then surely the information may help someone else?
x

Im really happy with ALL the responses people have been kind enough to give.
It has answered my question & given me much more which is exactly why I like to put the questions up here rather than go & read up on it.
A lot of this information I wouldn't necessarily have found without a loooog search. Which has now given me more time to spend geeking here.
I was under the impression that all a.h.a. had to be removed before applying polish, gel, acrylic & hybids.
Hopefully it has helped others too.
Many thanks for everyone's participation.

Last edited:
I think your ALL wrong - A-HA was actually a popular group in the 80's fronted by Morton Harket!
:twisted:

I was under the impression that all a.h.a. had to be removed before applying polish, gel, acrylic & hybids.

And this is correct too, if you use either a.h.a. cuticle eraser or cuticle away (or any other a.h.a.) as PREP then you need to wash it away, BEFORE every service.

A.h.a cuticle eraser, which is a specific product from CND, can ALSO be used as daily homecare and as an add on in treatments and as a treatment doesn't have to be rinsed off...

I think your ALL wrong - A-HA was actually a popular group in the 80's fronted by Morton Harket!

:lol:

I think we now have all the information on a.h.a's ...and I will be singing 'Take on me' for the rest of the day lol!!!

ha ha, cry wolf woooooo-oooooohhh....... I saw him once in London when they were at the height of their fame, he was dressed exactly the same way he did when he was on telly, looked a bit of a prat trying to get everyone to notice him.

Glad you've found all the info you need on AHAs

As Izzi has said, all ahas been posted now it's just going off topic. Time to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back