Any ideas to help my poorly toddler?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
:cry: My 18 month old has had a bad cold and yesterday evening started being sick and is boiling hot. We have both had 90 mins sleep last night and both feeling grotty and grumpy today! Alfie can't have Calpol or similar as he gags on any of these medicines and we have tried them all!

I have stripped him off to get his temp down. Has anyone got any ideas of natural remedies that could help. I have got a homeopathy kit but not sure what is best to give him. We have plastered him in Vicks and the whole house stinks of Olbas oil but he is still bunged up. Any suggestions gratefully received! :hug:

Take him to the doctors hun,my son started with a cold and he now has tonsilitis,just get him checkedc and the doctor will give you advise hth's

Hi chick, I use something for my son called Aston and Parson cooling powders.

They really do bring the temp down and take away the grotty feeling.

You can mix them with a drink or just pour into the mouth..its a tiny amount of powder, aparently they have been around years.

If you go to your local chemist they should be able to get you some.

They can be given every hour.

Honestly they are fab!

HTH'S xxx

Big hug for babyx:hug:

Take him to the doctors hun,my son started with a cold and he now has tonsilitis,just get him checkedc and the doctor will give you advise hth's

I'm sorry, but I'm amazed you are asking nail techs & hairdressers about this and you've not got him down to the doctors asap?

Becki is right - get him wrapped up and take him straight to the doctors or your local out patients department. Young children can suffer with high temperatures and he needs it bringing down.

Agree with Becki, take him to the docs, its not good for little ones to have a raging temp!
They'll give you something more manageable for him to take Im sure!

xxxxx:hug:

I'm sorry, but I'm amazed you are asking nail techs & hairdressers about this and you've not got him down to the doctors asap?

Becki is right - get him wrapped up and take him straight to the doctors or your local out patients department. Young children can suffer with high temperatures and he needs it bringing down.

I think she was just asking advice...Nail tech's hairdresser, most are still mum's and i think thats where she was going with this. x

I do agree the doc's is always your best bet x

I agree,we are mum's but if you have any concerns about your child it's just not worth the risk,check Judy1999's blog :cry:

I have had my son at the doc 3 times this week has his temp has been so high,only yesterday he got penecilin :eek:

I think she was just asking advice...Nail tech's hairdresser, most are still mum's and i think thats where she was going with this. x

I do agree the doc's is always your best bet x

Yes, I understand that, but when young children have a high temperature, it needs addressing, if the little one can't take the usual calpol type things, and Rosey has tried the stripping and sponging down with tepid water without results then the doctor is the best to advise surely.
I was not intending to sound harsh. I'm a mother of 2 and understand the worries they give you when they are poorly.
I would not even be on my pc if my child was ill, I'd be in the car heading for the surgery.

Yes, I understand that, but when young children have a high temperature, it needs addressing, if the little one can't take the usual calpol type things, and Rosey has tried the stripping and sponging down with tepid water without results then the doctor is the best to advise surely.
I was not intending to sound harsh. I'm a mother of 2 and understand the worries they give you when they are poorly.
I would not even be on my pc if my child was ill, I'd be in the car heading for the surgery.
TBH Bev IMO you have been harsh, children get poorly all the time and if the toddler has only been poorly since last night and is still going to the loo a doctor will only advise the normal keep it cool, try and get fluids in. What else can they do after such a short period of time.

Hopefully after all it will just be a nasty bug that we all get and be gone in a day or so.

So really what is the harm of coming on here and asking if anyone knows of any homeopathic remedies that can help....

As I have said though that is only IMHO

Yes I agree, get him checked out. I use medised on my 2 year old when he's ill. Its GREAT!! Its for pain relief, fever, eases breathing (when theyr'e all bunged up) & makes them drowsy so it knocks him out & helps him to sleep most of the night! which is what they need when they're ill! Its from 3+ months. A tip we used is, our son didn't like taking it either so we mixed it with tropical juice and let him drink it himself out of his cup! works for us! good luck, hope hes on the mend soon

Hi all

Thanks for replies - i called as soon as the surgery opened and got him booked in mid afternoon just to be checked over (no emergency appts left this morning as 1 doctor off ill!). He does get colds and high temp etc every couple of weeks - he just seems to pick up anything and everything from his playmates and older brother. He was quite poorly after christmas with a sickness bug and spent the day in hospital with dehydration so I am vigilant and don't mess about! As Hope said no doubt the doc will advise to keep cool and get the fluids in.

No probs Bev - understand what you were trying to say - he is very alert and is drinking plenty and nibbled a tiny bit of toast so I dont feel he needs to got to A& E, but he will be off to the doctors -just looking for some immediate relief for the little fella as he is just so miserable and calpol etc makes him sick. Most of my other friends with children will be on way to work etc by now so just thought I'd ask lots of mums on here instead!

We are cuddled up on the sofa watching Balamory over and over and i have the laptop perched on the arm of the sofa - he's not sat grizzling on the floor on his own! :hug:

Last edited:
Aw glad you have him booked in hunnie,let us know how he gets on :hug:

Take him to the docs hun. A hot toddler is a very sad and unhappy being and so are their parents. You will be able to get an emergency appointment coz they dont muck about when it comes to kids being ill. Oh I see you have an appointment. Good for you.

It could be tonsilitis my daughter suffered badly from that for a long time, but, touch wood has not had it for the last 4 years (fingers crossed and lots of other good luck stuff).

She used to get very poorly.

Even if it is a virus or just a "something", the doc will give you good advice.

:hug:

Last edited:
I do agree about getting baby to the doc's..

Not all things are serious with children,I also have 3 children of my own and to be honest just thought your post sounded a touch harsh!

No harm done eh...theres always going to be a difference of opinion, glad hes booked in and going to get sorted.

I would still think about the powders if i was you they have been a godsend for me. xx:hug:

I do agree about getting baby to the doc's..

Not all things are serious with children,I also have 3 children of my own and to be honest just thought your post sounded a touch harsh!

No harm done eh...theres always going to be a difference of opinion, glad hes booked in and going to get sorted.

I would still think about the powders if i was you they have been a godsend for me. xx:hug:

I never heard of Aston & Parson powders but am going to shoot down to boots and find them - will let you know how he gets on with them - thanks :hug:

No worries..Hope he's okay chick I'm sure he will be.

Kids are a real worry sometimes x

Hiya hun, sorry your little 'un is poorly, and glad you got him booked in....however if he is still bunged up take him into the bathroom close the door and run a steamy hot shower or bath (obviously I dont mean put himin it!!) the steam natrually unblocks everything, my little boy had terrible bronchiolitus when he was 6 months old and we used to do this loads!! HTH

:hug::hug:

My son would never take calpol or similar so what I used to do was use dissolvable paracetamol or something like that for his age and dissolve it in his drink. He never knew and it always got his temperature down !!

TBH Bev IMO you have been harsh, children get poorly all the time and if the toddler has only been poorly since last night and is still going to the loo a doctor will only advise the normal keep it cool, try and get fluids in. What else can they do after such a short period of time.

Hopefully after all it will just be a nasty bug that we all get and be gone in a day or so.

So really what is the harm of coming on here and asking if anyone knows of any homeopathic remedies that can help....

As I have said though that is only IMHO

TBH reading it back, it does sound harsh & I'm not that sort of person, so apologies :hug:.

Hi all

Thanks for replies - i called as soon as the surgery opened and got him booked in mid afternoon just to be checked over (no emergency appts left this morning as 1 doctor off ill!). He does get colds and high temp etc every couple of weeks - he just seems to pick up anything and everything from his playmates and older brother. He was quite poorly after christmas with a sickness bug and spent the day in hospital with dehydration so I am vigilant and don't mess about! As Hope said no doubt the doc will advise to keep cool and get the fluids in.

No probs Bev - understand what you were trying to say( Thanks xx) - he is very alert and is drinking plenty and nibbled a tiny bit of toast so I dont feel he needs to got to A& E, but he will be off to the doctors -just looking for some immediate relief for the little fella as he is just so miserable and calpol etc makes him sick. Most of my other friends with children will be on way to work etc by now so just thought I'd ask lots of mums on here instead!

We are cuddled up on the sofa watching Balamory over and over and i have the laptop perched on the arm of the sofa - he's not sat grizzling on the floor on his own! :hug:

I'm pleased you've got him booked in hun.
If he's still hot, you could put ice cubes in his drink or give him a lolly if you've any in. If he's hot & still being sick, you need to keep his fluids up.
Another way would be to sit him in a bath of body temp water & dribble the water over him, I have done this a time or two in the past when my kids were little & it works quite well.
Ask your doctor about 'DIMITANE'. My doctor told me about it, and when my daughter was about the same age as your son, she had a nasty cold, I gave her a teaspoon of it. By the time I'd come back upstairs to tuck her in, from putting the medicine away, she was out like a light!
It helped her no end. You can ask for it over the counter too.

Hope he's ok soon.:hug:

Ice pops!!! always have them in the freezer great for high temps, had 3 weeks recently of high temps after my little boy had his mmr! whole other story there, but found nurofen for kids worked better at keeping his temp down and the amount of fluid was less, 2.5ml in a little medicine syringe tiny bits dribbled into the corner of his mouth, oh just thought is it because he's allergic that he can't have calpol, if so ignore that last bit.
Hope he gets better soon, if they get a high temp that can't be brought down then i like to get them checked out with the doc xxx

Latest posts

Back