Anyone tried gelac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyJen

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post, so hope you can help me! Just wondered if anyone has tried 'gelac' . Im still unsure which brand to go for, shellac, gelish or what but from what ive read there is a lack of stock available for many of these so i might try the ibd gelac as ive have spoken with them and they have that in stock. What experience have you had with this?

Thanks guys.

I havent tried it yet but I'm buying the starter kit asap, I love ibd!

Gelish stock problems are just down to the sheer volume of sales. I personally have never had a problem with stock from them. I wouldnt write off such a fab product.

the gelish does look good, ive heard good reviews and it has lots of colours, its just because i cant get hold of any, so i might start with gelac so i can get going with it before xmas n then maybe order gelish too when it is back in stock. just wondered if any one has actually tried the gelac?

I just bought gelac :)
Am going to try it tomorrow so will let you know then!

the gelish does look good, ive heard good reviews and it has lots of colours, its just because i cant get hold of any, so i might start with gelac so i can get going with it before xmas n then maybe order gelish too when it is back in stock. just wondered if any one has actually tried the gelac?

Hi, not sure why you can't get hold of any Gelish - have you called Nail Harmony directly? If you'd like, I can PM you the contact info.

Have not tried Gelac, am a confirmed Gelish girl! The latest Gelish consignment has been stuck in customs but should be with them by Tues so all items will be in stock, including the starter kits! I love Gelish, it has got me loads of new customers! But whichever brand you choose good luck with it, they all look great, so many pretty colours!! xx

Nail Products, Gelish, Reveal, Gels

Why be so impatient and rush in to buy something you don't know anything about instead of something like Shellac that you do know allot about?

Just because the world wide demand for Shellac is so massive doesn't mean it is permanently out of stock!! It is in and out all the time now and S2 make it very easy for you by putting you on an email list for notification as soon as a shipment comes in, if you ask. There really is no need for anyone to be OUT of Shellac if they order when the shipments come in and in a timely manner when a bottle is half empty in stead of completely empty :lol::lol:

I'd enquire and be patient and get what I really wantEd if I were you. :hug:

I have 3 bottles of top and 2 bottom , I must say I have never had any problems with stock as I do as geeg advised , I order stock when bottle is half empty not totally empty. Only one I have not been able to get is fedora but that is my fault for leaving it too late to order. I got top and bottom coat from cnd academy Manchester the other day, x

i can't wait to get the gelac!! i too love ibd x

Can i ask what the difference is with the harmony led lamp and the cnd shellac lamp other than the price!

Lisa

ive just ordered a starter kit for gelac which has got 6 colours in it so ill see how it goes and at least i can test it out then while i wait for some shellac to try. i went onto the website for the gelish and it just said they were out of stock but ive not tried calling. ill test my gelac and go from there, but will prob try them all to make a proper decission.
Thanks for the info guys x:lol:

Can i ask what the difference is with the harmony led lamp and the cnd shellac lamp other than the price!

Lisa

LED lights are a different type of light (although they still have UV emmission from the LED bulbs too). They say the LED bulbs never need replacing and the cure is faster with the LED lamp. The LED lamps are a silly high price and will probably cost half what they do now, next year.

Now my thoughts are this. I can do 750 clients with a set of UV bulbs for the CND lamp --- it has a five finger cure --- and it tells me when my bulbs need changing which is a very handy feature of the lamp. It takes me a couple of minutes to apply a coat of colour to each hand so I DONT SEE THE GREAT ATTRACTION OF MY PRODUCT CURING ANY FASTER THAN THAT, OTHER THAN IF I WERE DEMONSTRATING IT WOULD BE A BONUS TO HAVE A FASTER CURE but in the salon .. I dont think so. I work in about the same time as it takes the product to cure. To me it is not a selling point.

Most gels are not made to cure with LED (at the moment) so it will not work with just any gel. I'm not crying because I dont have one yet :lol:. We'll see.

I book out 30 minutes for a Shellac service. My cost of goods is about 11% of the price I charge. If I got clients in and out in 15 minutes withg a quicker cure I'd have to charge allot less for doing it, but my cost of goods would be the same ... I would make less money. I'm happy with a half hour service (which includes the soak off). My clientrs are happy with it too. There's fast and then there is too fast. I'm not prepared to work with twice the number of clients for half the price to get the same amount of money ... that is lke a discount salon ... that's not my way of doing things. I'm a business person and I perhaps think differently than many nail technicians. Maybe it's why I've done very well out of nails (ONLY nails) and most do not.

30 minutes for a shellac application including the removal WOW that is fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

In response to your request for information:

The Harmony LED has nine 5 watt led bulbs that never need to be changed, it gives 15,000 hours of LED light - no bulb replacement, unlike UV bulbs = no ongoing costs.

You will save approx 15 mins per client vs. 36w UV lamp and that equals up to 3 - 4 EXTRA clients EVERY DAY when using Gelish as opposed to other non-LED gels. It won't take long to pay for itself.

The Harmony LED lamp also cures Harmony Reveal Gel (our hard gel system) in just 10 SECONDS. Full cure. Ready to file. You can pinch in a C curve after just 3 seconds. The white gel can be used to build, can be filed and will also cure FULLY in 10 seconds in the LED lamp.

Hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

I had Gelac put on me yesterday to compare with Shellac which i use....... I have a chipped thumb and i had my nails "etched" before hand... not sure if that is normal??

I use IBD gel and love it but the Gelac? not so much. It has chipped, i've had my nsils "etched" and defeated the object of a manicure service for me if im honest. They look thicker than polish too.

Dont get me wrong i am not a die hard CND fan I use various products that work for me some CND some not but colour coat wise Shellac is the winner. I will try out anything to see how it performs and dont listen to marketing hype i like SCIENCE. The tech who did my nails also said it lasts 10 days if you are lucky.
I dont want another gel that is thinned to be polish I want a different product that works and have found it.

HTH

30 minutes for a shellac application including the removal WOW that is fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mess about! :lol: head down and get on with it. I do prepare though.
Before the client comes in I prepare all 10 wraps. All laid out ready and waiting. I use a pipette to saturate the wraps (very quick). All on fast. 10minutes . Wraps off and nails cleaned - 5 minutes. The polishing takes another 15minutes. Some times I go over by 5 minutes or so, but basically it's about 30 minutes.

I would not get clients paying the same money I get now if I did the service in half the time !!! That argument does not hold up .. Nor the one about 4 extra clients per day lol. Theory sounds good but is not reality .. You'd be doing twice the work for half the money .... Not for me.

Well, I get 3 EXTRA clients a day - I'm not sitting in an office making this stuff up. I run a busy, successful salon and the LED light has enabled me to do more clients per day than I used to do with a UV lamp. The LED lamp is not a necessity, Gelish cures perfectly in a regular 36W UV and many Shellac users have discovered that Gelish also cures perfectly in the Shellac lamp.

I charge exactly what I would normally charge for a full set of nails because with Gelish they are getting a superior product and quality that lasts. The same I assume is true with Shellac, so why on earth would you charge less money for saving people time? People love that it's quick and don't even question the amount of time taken or the price. To nick a phrase from a well-known hair product ad "Because its worth it".

I seem to recall that, despite condemning the use of inverted moulds for acrylic application, CND brought out their own in the form of Poppits and then raved about the new speed of application and the fact that as clients were receiving a quality product and a high quality service the price should be the same. I see no reason why a time saving device like an LED lamp should be any different.

Time will tell, of course, as opinions will probably alter once CND bring out their own LED lamp.....

Not sure if I'm being dim here..... how exactly will it save me any time? it takes me the 2 mins cure time to paint the other hand I'm not sure if anyone else can do that in much less??
Not slating the idea of a different lamp bulb life etc all sounds good. Just dont get how it would save me 15 mins perclient?

Latest posts

Back