April Scratch Magazine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've haven't renewed my subscription for this year because i feel i'm not getting any inspiration from the magazine.

It is now the only professional magazine we have in the UK for nails and I agree, it could do allot more than it does for nail technicians. It could focus on the things that are more relevant for the ordinary nail techs that are making a business of nails than it does.

Iv,e just had a look at the attatchment and have to say as a nail technician this is just the kind of nails i'm trying to get away from. Where is the inspiration in that front cover for a professional nail technician. You say don't judge a book by it's cover but i'm sorry this just doesn't make me want o take a look inside...:|

How about we suggest to Scratch magazine that they feature on the front page some of the everyday nail techs work as a cover shot.

Maybe a really good set of natural looking nails.

I am sure some of the technicians on this forum would love to feature on the front of Scratch Magazine and of course they might not be as perfect as the Creative Posters, but nevertheless what do you all think???

I think thats a great idea Sam, but it has been mentioned many times before and unfortunately nothing has ever come of it.

How about we suggest to Scratch magazine that they feature on the front page some of the everyday nail techs work as a cover shot.

Maybe a really good set of natural looking nails.

I am sure some of the technicians on this forum would love to feature on the front of Scratch Magazine and of course they might not be as perfect as the Creative Posters, but nevertheless what do you all think???

Excellent idea.

I have to say I loved the piece on Amy winehouse, would love to have the chance to do her nails:)

I have personally been recommending covers by 'real' nail technicians showing 'real' work for years ..... deaf ears.

why do you think that is Gigi as there have been some great comp winners that would make lovely cover shots, so why don't the magazines want to use them, is it financial ie- do companies pay to go on the front cover.

why do you think that is Gigi as there have been some great comp winners that would make lovely cover shots, so why don't the magazines want to use them, is it financial ie- do companies pay to go on the front cover.

Not necessarily, no. When I have done a cover I have been asked to do it or asked for permission to use my work ... I've never paid for it.

I love the idea but I suggest that whatever went on the cover would just be a souce of critisism. Even this months cover has been done by a nail technician and look at the response that has had.

I do agree with you completely that there are many right here on the site who would do great nails for a cover though. And that includes your good self!! :hug:

I think it is the best Scratch cover we've seen in an awful long time!

For so long the nails haven't made it as the main image and after all it is a NAILS magazine!! I was relieved to see a set of nails on the front cover this time!

I think they are a great example of what competition nails should look like. No-one is saying they're supposed to be natural looking or wearable (and some nails like that should make the cover once in a while too) but this is a stunning beautiful picture (IMO!!!)

For so long the nails haven't made it as the main image and after all it is a NAILS magazine!! I was relieved to see a set of nails on the front cover this time!

here here - granted not to everyones taste as earlier discussed but a nail image all the same xx

Dear Geeks

This makes incredibly interesting reading

You all seem torn between love and hate here

A great example of life in general I feel. This cover has provoked such a wide range of opinions, that I feel it reflects true life.

There will never be a Scratch cover you would all love - that is an impossibility! I wish it could happen, but long ago I resigned myself to the fact it never can.
If it was natural nails - you may hate the pose or the nail colour or the shape of the nails. Let's face it, this is a cover that has created much interesting discussion and debate.

I am very happy to consider any cover image that you would like to throw at me. Just as with this one, one day Denise Wright asked me if I'd seen Mandy's image, I said 'No', so she sent it to me and I loved it. I thought - 'Wow' this is a great, strong image, created by someone who knows nails, who has taken the time, money and effort to get into a studio and shoot a strong, powerful nail image. I knew the nails would not appeal to all, but I know that about every cover I choose. Some months I choose an image where nails are peripheral to the shot, but still have a place and are critical to the overall effect, and other times I choose nails as an essential aspect of the overall style and then, like here, they are the only aspect. I like to appeal to all my readers - and so I try to change the mood and style as much as I can. This, I feel, keeps Scratch exciting and cutting edge (well in my world at least!).

I would be pleased to accept any cover images from anyone in this industry - however, a cover image is not as easy to create as some would believe. Whether we are looking at 'real life' nails or not, you still have to fill critiera. This means it must be fabulous to look at, been shot professionally, taken using a model with stunning fingers, nails and hands and with imagination as well as nail skills. If you feel you can fulfill this criteria, then go ahead. I love to feature real tech's work on and in Scratch and I would like to add that this is the work of a 'working' tech - Mandy is the head of training for NSI UK, runs her own salon, and is an amazing fount of knowledge when it comes to gel nails. She is a fantastic columnist in Scratch and I have massive respect for her knowledge and work. This, I believe, is her first front cover and I'm proud to have published it for her.

For the Geek that is no longer inspired by Scratch magazine - I am sorry. I don't know if that means that you feel I've lost my way - or what? If you want to email me directly and let me know your thoughts I am a willing listener. It is always a terrible shame for me to find out that I cannot deliver in a monthly dedicated nail magazine just what a nail tech wants to see and hear.

And so, to reflect on all I've read, I thank the positive responses I've seen and I recognise the criticisms too.

Thank you

Alex Fox
editor - Scratch magazine

PS- you could start your cover image journey by entering The Great Scratch Shoot Out 2007 competition - there is only one winner who is awarded at the Nailympics ceremony on Monday 21 May (£200 and framed winning image) - but I would be happy to critique all entries so techs know how and where their entry fell short, if indeed it did. With only one winner sonetimes it can be frightening close! (All entries are hung on a gallery wall at Olympia Beauty on 20-21 May and showcased ina feature in Scratch magazine June or July issue.)

Dear Geeks

This makes incredibly interesting reading

You all seem torn between love and hate here

A great example of life in general I feel. This cover has provoked such a wide range of opinions, that I feel it reflects true life.

There will never be a Scratch cover you would all love - that is an impossibility! I wish it could happen, but long ago I resigned myself to the fact it never can.
If it was natural nails - you may hate the pose or the nail colour or the shape of the nails. Let's face it, this is a cover that has created much interesting discussion and debate.

I am very happy to consider any cover image that you would like to throw at me. Just as with this one, one day Denise Wright asked me if I'd seen Mandy's image, I said 'No', so she sent it to me and I loved it. I thought - 'Wow' this is a great, strong image, created by someone who knows nails, who has taken the time, money and effort to get into a studio and shoot a strong, powerful nail image. I knew the nails would not appeal to all, but I know that about every cover I choose. Some months I choose an image where nails are peripheral to the shot, but still have a place and are critical to the overall effect, and other times I choose nails as an essential aspect of the overall style and then, like here, they are the only aspect. I like to appeal to all my readers - and so I try to change the mood and style as much as I can. This, I feel, keeps Scratch exciting and cutting edge (well in my world at least!).

I would be pleased to accept any cover images from anyone in this industry - however, a cover image is not as easy to create as some would believe. Whether we are looking at 'real life' nails or not, you still have to fill critiera. This means it must be fabulous to look at, been shot professionally, taken using a model with stunning fingers, nails and hands and with imagination as well as nail skills. If you feel you can fulfill this criteria, then go ahead. I love to feature real tech's work on and in Scratch and I would like to add that this is the work of a 'working' tech - Mandy is the head of training for NSI UK, runs her own salon, and is an amazing fount of knowledge when it comes to gel nails. She is a fantastic columnist in Scratch and I have massive respect for her knowledge and work. This, I believe, is her first front cover and I'm proud to have published it for her.

For the Geek that is no longer inspired by Scratch magazine - I am sorry. I don't know if that means that you feel I've lost my way - or what? If you want to email me directly and let me know your thoughts I am a willing listener. It is always a terrible shame for me to find out that I cannot deliver in a monthly dedicated nail magazine just what a nail tech wants to see and hear.

And so, to reflect on all I've read, I thank the positive responses I've seen and I recognise the criticisms too.

Thank you

Alex Fox
editor - Scratch magazine

PS- you could start your cover image journey by entering The Great Scratch Shoot Out 2007 competition - there is only one winner who is awarded at the Nailympics ceremony on Monday 21 May (£200 and framed winning image) - but I would be happy to critique all entries so techs know how and where their entry fell short, if indeed it did. With only one winner sonetimes it can be frightening close! (All entries are hung on a gallery wall at Olympia Beauty on 20-21 May and showcased ina feature in Scratch magazine June or July issue.)

all im seeing here is personal opinion, not every scratch cover will please everyone, all the time. i think it must be a dam hard job to decide what to put on the cover................but sorry to say - im with the rest, i wasnt too fussed on the cover either, but i was more interested in what was inside rather than the outside

Latest posts

Back