Are your nails the best or are you never 100% happy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodyAngels

Reaction score
I know I'm getting better every day, but I just can't seem to look at a set of L&P sculpts I've done and think 'yeah, they are bloody good!'. Now bear in mind that I'm a perfectionist and know that it takes practise, practise, practise and more practise, but will I ever get there? Will I ever be able to say 'yeah, they are bloody good!' or will I always find something wrong, even though the client is always pleased?
Are you there yet:Grope:?
Claire x

No way, I'm trying, I'm trying :)

Having said that, the day I'm satisfied is the day I shall give up. I don't believe you can or should be 100% happy. It will just make you complacent.

There will come a day when you KNOW you're good at what you do, but it will be tempered with the idea that you also know that you've still got a lot to learn. :) You're on the right track!

I know that I'm decent.
I know that I'm better than the NSS in my town and better than about 4 of the 6 other "real" techs.
My nail art is unique and in demand.

Am I good?
When I look at stuff on this site......... Ummmmmmmm I'm inclined to think not
:lol:
(we've got some pretty heavy hitters on this site :green:)

I also know that I have PLENTY yet to learn!!!!

I don't think we ever stop criticizing our own work, no matter how good we get.
Human nature I suppose.
Perfection is an allusion we strive for, and if we didn't, what challenge would there be?

:hug:

There will come a day when you KNOW you're good at what you do, but it will be tempered with the idea that you also know that you've still got a lot to learn. :) You're on the right track!
That sums me up!!!!
good at what i do but so much too learn! x

well i hope for my sake i never get satisfied.. i surround myself with beautiful, insperational pictures of nails, set my goals higher and higher and pray i always do.

Now i know im better then i was.. or else i wouldnt be doing this.. but i will never ever be 100% satisfied that there isnt more i could do/learn/see achieve.

while the bar keeps being set higher ill keep reaching for it.. thats why im so bloody thankfull to those who keep lifting it.. how boring would it be to not be inspired anymore?

I know my nails are 100% better than when i first started out, but i will never think that they are the best thing i have ever done.

I have days when i am pleased with what i have done and also days when i am just not happy. (despite the fact the client is always happy) But i think this is what makes us great techs, because we are always striving to get better and improve on what we do.

I will always be looking to improve on what i do and make myself the best that i can be, but i doubt i will ever get to the point of saying, "I am the best at what i do" I will always want to be better.

Totally agree with the above Post by Talented Talons, that is exactly how I think. Jo you have summed it up!

But I don't torment myself over not being perfection itself, that would be pointless! I am content that I do work of a good standard and have a large and loyal clientele.

But still always ready to learn more and improve where I can.

I'm desperate to start using my new product, as I dont feel confident and certainly not satisfied with what i'm producing.

I'm desperate to start using my new product, as I dont feel confident and certainly not satisfied with what i'm producing.

What product are you using at the moment hun and have you trained in it? :)

Thanks for that. It's just that you feel like you're progressing, then you seem to go backwards before you move forward again - if you know what I mean! Don't get me wrong, I love doing nails, but I want to be proud of what I've done. Then again, when I look at other peoples work, sometimes mine don't look that bad.
For example, I went into my local post office the other week and the lady who served me had acrylic sculpted tips and a gel overlay. The smiles were awful and as for the apex - it was square-ish. She said that her tech had originally used Acrylic in zones 2 & 3 but they lifted due to her having oily nails???? so she switched to gel which had cured the problem. All I asked her was where she'd had them done and she relayed what her tech had told her like she was the dogs you know whats. I went back in last week to witness the worst rebalance I have ever seen! She hadn't filed the pink down adequately and you could see where the old pink enhancement ended under the rebalance. Goes in again today and the tips have gone and she's only got a jagged pink edge left. Suffice to say that I didn't bother to ask her what had happened. Thing is, this tech works in a salon (no not a NSS) and isn't a trainee either so this shouldn't be happening - it's never happened to me even when I was training.
Anyway, sorry to witter on, but I had to share - certainly made me feel better about myself.
I think it's quite rare to find a 'bloody good job', you know those nails that look perfect and have the wow factor - but I did say I was a perfectionist!
Claire x

The thing with a beautiful set of nails is, it takes two to tango, know what I mean? You can create the most drop-dead gorgeous set, and when your client walks out the door, it's all on her (assuming you've done your part with building a structurally sound enhancement). So we can't get too hard on ourselves when the client comes back with not-so-perfect nails. In other words, the only REALLy perfect nails are on mannekins! (how the HECK do you spell that word???). :D

I think this is the stage I am at now! I produce way more work that I am happy with than unhappy now (but never 100%). I just pray when they walk out the door that they hold up their end of the deal (as Susie says) and look after them. If they don't then I have the technology to repair them, but it's so lovely when a client comes back and she's respected your work by taking care of them ... now that's when I am 100% happy!

I think this is the stage I am at now! I produce way more work that I am happy with than unhappy now (but never 100%). I just pray when they walk out the door that they hold up their end of the deal (as Susie says) and look after them. If they don't then I have the technology to repair them, but it's so lovely when a client comes back and she's respected your work by taking care of them ... now that's when I am 100% happy!

I totally agree with you Sassy. It can be heart destroying to say the least, when you have done a lovely set and nails, then the client comes back to you and she has picked and bitten them because she knows you are going to sort them out. (i have a couple like this)

But then it's great when you have someone who has had to leave them for nearly five weeks and all there is wrong with them is the growth which makes them look unbalanced. I have one client who can't always afford to have them done every three weeks, but i rarely have to charge for repairs as she rarely breaks them and never has any lift. It makes it all worth it.

I trained woth star nails 7 years ago but did not complete the course. I have since practiced on frineds and family but starting up again meant I needed to re do a course, get qualified and insured! I have completed the course now and am constantly busy practicing on friends and family. I feel better about my extensions every day. They take me a long time but I am always satisfied they look good! I will start working on clients soon. If i had not already did the training with star nails I really dont think a 1 day course is any good!!! :)

when are we (any of us) ever supposed to stop wanting more ?

there's no stopping, there's always variables and there's always the client that destroys what we quite liked in the first place.

The better I get, the more critical I get - i see more flaws (although they are smaller flaws). I also get hungrier to improve more, and there is so much more I want to do....... I need to finish my Masters, I want to compete again, I want to do a design class, I want to improve my gel...... But it all costs money......

Back to the original question, no I'm never 100% happy and I'm not sure I ever will be!!!!

hth's

I think this is a great thread. I think you can look at your work and say to yourself there lovely,fab, Fantastic etc. But for me I never want to stop improving my work. I met a girl who was a Miss know it all had been doing nails since she was 15 and she sat there a basically told me that no one could tech anymore!!! She knew everything there was to know! It was on my Brisa induction and she was a model for a woman in the same class as me. Miss know it all already uses Brisa but doesn't have the certificate. She was saying to us I don't need the training or the kit I just need the certificate. I was saying to her that you never stop learning through out your life know matter what it is but she didn't agree. The funny thing was by the end of her day being the model she was asking Kirsten if she would send out some info. It just shows that there must have been something that she seen in the class that she didn't know!!!

Sorry for the rant
Sarah x

Never 100% happy.

Once finished I pull away and think 'actually they look lovely' but I wear myself out trying to improve all the time...Iv only been doing nails 16 years - so not long to go till Im happy (not).

No I am never 100% happy with what I have done, although I do find that sometimes when a client leaves I feel down about the finished nails, but when they come back 2 weeks later they aren't half as bad as I remembered them to be!

I am always wanting to learn more, or to try new things, which I am at the moment and I can't do it and it is very frustrating :lol:

Latest posts

Back