argh... clients and taking the mick....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
hey Geekios
i have a reg client who is on my msn messenger... well its her daughter and ive just popped home for some lunch and the clients daughter starts spking to me... shes only young so i say the odd hello and that and then she starts asking what time i'll be back at the salon.... i said 2 as i had a client cancel... which means longer at home...lol
she was asking for her mum my reg client,
i used a fab new polish on her nails the other week and she wants to come into the salon and borrow it to paint her nails again as it has worn slightly....... what would you do??
i felt like i couldnt say no so shes coming over tomorrow... i dont really want her to use my polish unless shes going to buy it (its only 7 quid for the bottle!!) or pay to have them repainted.... some times i dont mind abt clients borrowing a polish but it has really bugged me today.... its like she doesnt want to spend out the moeny to buy it but is happy for me to let her paint her own nails in the salon using it.... should i have just put my foot down and said no??.... i think im just too chicken sometime :rolleyes:
i said she couldnt take the polish away with here and thats why shes coming down... argh!
sorry for the moan... does anyone else get client who take the mick??

Jess
xox

I certainly have clients who take the mick. I have one who once asked if she could have an extra dimante to take away in case one came off. I told her to look after them well and the dimantees will still be there when she returns for her rebalance. I did however give her a free spare.:irked:

However, I think asking to borrow polish is downright insulting. You should refuse and tell her that you will give her a shape and polish. I cannot believe her cheek:rolleyes: . Don't take it Jess - tell her to cough up for a new polish or a shape and polish.

This is a difficult one. Is she a friend or a customer? If she's a friend (as she's on your msn) then I suppose to her it's no different then asking any mate if you can borrow something.

I personally would be narked if a customer would assume that they could "borrow" a polish without paying, but then I don't get too pally with my customers either.

Probably not much help ;)

Trilite Girl said:
This is a difficult one. Is she a friend or a customer? If she's a friend (as she's on your msn) then I suppose to her it's no different then asking any mate if you can borrow something.

I personally would be narked if a customer would assume that they could "borrow" a polish without paying, but then I don't get too pally with my customers either.

Probably not much help ;)
its always a hard one when u gt 2 pally with clients ive learned the hard way from that.but i really cant believe the cheek of some people.i would try and get round it some way by saying"i dont mean to sound horrible but i dont think it looks very professional if your coming into my salon wanting to paint your own nails here,or if other clients see you popping in and borrowing polish because theyll all be wanting to do it"some times youve got to be cruel to be kind and at the end of the day its your stock=money.

What would happen if whilst in the salon she spilt the varnish on her clothes, would she look to claim on your insurance?

mmm its a silly situation really... shes a friendly client who ive been doing her nails for yrs.... sometimes i dont mind at all but it really has bugged me today... ive put her daughter on block on msn... im nt having that again...i think she was just plain cheeky (the client) and cos it was her daughter that was asking i didnt wanna sound like i was being a bitch either.... i think im just a bit of a mug... oh well i'll let her know that is nt really on tomorrow... wish me luck ;)

Jess
xox

Sparklepink said:
mmm its a silly situation really... shes a friendly client who ive been doing her nails for yrs.... sometimes i dont mind at all but it really has bugged me today... ive put her daughter on block on msn... im nt having that again...i think she was just plain cheeky (the client) and cos it was her daughter that was asking i didnt wanna sound like i was being a bitch either.... i think im just a bit of a mug... oh well i'll let her know that is nt really on tomorrow... wish me luck ;)

Jess
xox
good luck,and stick to ur guns be polite but firm,at the end of the day its ur business and if all clients were like this ud be out of pocket .

naturalnails said:
What would happen if whilst in the salon she spilt the varnish on her clothes, would she look to claim on your insurance?

mmm thats a good question but if it was my polish and she was using it.... i think you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.... i think im gonna use that in my defence tomorrow... thats if i dont chicken out,... which knowing me i prob will!!

Jess
xox

Not quite the same thing but I did this to a client once...:o

I was doing a wedding group booking with Amber (Minkus) and 1 of the ladies was just having her nails polished...she looked through my colours and didn't like any of them !!! so she got her own down and asked me to use that..fair enough...so i carried on as normal...and her friend had her nails polished also with one of my colours..when it came to paying i just charged them as i normally do. It wasn't until we left that we realized i had charged them both the same, even though 1 had provided her own polish. what would you have done...? knocked a couple of quid off or not..? too late now but just wondered. xx

Oh sorry jess...lol..I would not let her borrow...maybe i am just mean...but i wouldn't dream of going to the hairdressers and asking "can i borrow your shampoo..or..hairdryer"...i think its cheeky. xxx

NailStyle said:
I was doing a wedding group booking with Amber (Minkus) and 1 of the ladies was just having her nails polished...she looked through my colours and didn't like any of them !!! so she got her own down and asked me to use that..fair enough...so i carried on as normal...and her friend had her nails polished also with one of my colours..when it came to paying i just charged them as i normally do. It wasn't until we left that we realized i had charged them both the same, even though 1 had provided her own polish. what would you have done...? knocked a couple of quid off or not..? too late now but just wondered. xx
I wouldn't charge any differently. It was the client's choice to use her own polish.

Sell her a bottle but don't let her borrow it, Bloody hell jess before you know it you'll have clients popping in to borrow a file or a bit of acetone lmao
Put on that professional head and just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hi Jess,

I always say to my very friendly clients if they want a quick fix etc. let me do it I'm the professional or if they want an extra diamante I say that'll be ??p please and they say okay nevermind then.

You're trying to run a professional business here hunny, put your foot down and also just stress to her that you don't allow your other clients to do it so why her! Be brave hun!!!!

xxxx

Lellipop said:
Sell her a bottle but don't let her borrow it, Bloody hell jess before you know it you'll have clients popping in to borrow a file or a bit of acetone lmao
Put on that professional head and just say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Spot on. If she wants to use it she should buy it. She can't nip into the supermarket & borrow a bit of milk cos she ran out! I realise it's a tough situation but if you don't draw the line now, she'll think it's fine to do things like that again. Be tough!

Well i would sit down polish them for her then charge her. Cheeky devil.

If she says anything say something like 'oh sorry did you want to purchase the product for home use?? '

...do you have a price for 'polish only'? If not get one immediately. Tell her you can fit her in at a specific time so she knows it's an appointment and then charge her for painting them.

I agree with NailStyle and others - you don't go in to the local hairdressers to 'borrow' some shampoo, etc...

Good luck!

Kx

Jessica Marks, just be brave and take all the good advice given here....if she was a real friend she wouldn't even be asking.

She either buys a bottle of polish and does it herslf or she pays you to do it for her.

Bite the bullet and say what you mean.

NailNovice2 said:
I certainly have clients who take the mick. I have one who once asked if she could have an extra dimante to take away in case one came off. I told her to look after them well and the dimantees will still be there when she returns for her rebalance. QUOTE]

I had a lady bring in her sunglasses for me to put a diamante in as one had come out. Yeah.............about 20 years ago by the looks of the glasses. Mind you, it made me smile to see her strutting her stuff down the road in her Jackie O sunglasses. All the same if I did want paying, she didn't even offer. LOL. xxx

Kimmi Rocks said:
I had a lady bring in her sunglasses for me to put a diamante in as one had come out. Yeah.............about 20 years ago by the looks of the glasses. Mind you, it made me smile to see her strutting her stuff down the road in her Jackie O sunglasses. All the same if I did want paying, she didn't even offer. LOL. xxx

lol, bless, bet you made her day

I've used diamantes to repair my jewellery! I don't charge myself though :D

I once had a client who was going on a cruise and asked if she could borrow the polish I used on her incase of chips, she didnt want to buy one as she didnt normally wear polish because of her work. She was a loyal client and tipped well so I agree ~ she promised to return it as soon as she arrived back on dry land. Never seen her since ~ cheeky mare! Either that or she is still floating round the Med 4 years on!

Jess I agree ~ do it your self and charge her for it.

KxXx

I agree with everyone do it yourself and charge her. Mind i say that but whether i would do it is another matter, i'm a bit of a soft touch!!!!

I always get invited to parties and all sorts by clients.My hubby says that i get way to friendly and that i have to realise they are clients and not friends but i just can't help it, I'm a chatterbox!!!! :confused:

Latest posts

Back