avoiding wax contamination.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fungal spores and bacteria need water in order to grow. Wax does not contain water. Most viruses don't live outside the human body, and those that do are extremely delicate and require a very particular environment to live in... and that also includes water. And something as simple as cleaning the skin with 70% isopropal will deactivate any culture that may be on the skin in a matter of minutes.

I'm not asking to start a war... I'm just curious, because it amazes me how these things are not taught in school and we all live in such fear of the unknown because we haven't been completly educated.

I get where you are coming from but most of the time with todays obsession with everything sterile we have to be very careful i know a lot of it is scaremongering by companys to sell new products i just needed to know what was now expected obviously there is no standard at the mo and no i dont know the science behind the growth of germs and bacteria maybe i learnt it but it was a long time ago and as i said at beginning of thread we used to reuse the wax and this was general practice also reused electrolysis needles.

I get where you are coming from but most of the time with todays obsession with everything sterile we have to be very careful i know a lot of it is scaremongering by companys to sell new products i just needed to know what was now expected obviously there is no standard at the mo and no i dont know the science behind the growth of germs and bacteria maybe i learnt it but it was a long time ago and as i said at beginning of thread we used to reuse the wax and this was general practice also reused electrolysis needles.

I agree. I think sometimes we get way over the top with sanitation, although I'm not saying it's wrong and I do work with the best of standardsto be on the safe side. I just wonder if someone was to analyse a wax pot where people double dipped what germs would be found. Let's face it most salons do it, and yet how many reports do we hear about cross contamination .... hm think Im playing a bit of a devil's advocate here! :lol:

I know this is way different, but I won't ever eat peanuts or unwrapped sweetsfrom a bowl in a pub after I read somewhere that an analysis of a bowl uncovered 15 different traces of urine because men didn't wash their hands! Ewww :eek:

I guess I can't really speak for other esty's, but generally, I don't have any floaties in my wax pot. I was at a salon once and when I looked in their wax pot I almost lost my lunch. They were using the same stick for every client for days on end. I am a tech that uses a new stick for each client. If I see a hair on the stick, then I throw it out and get a new one. Not because I'm afraid of contaminating my wax, but because it looks gross.

I'm not saying its correct to double dip - but wont the temperature of the wax kill some of the bacteria we are all worried about?? Just a thought....

I'm not saying its correct to double dip - but wont the temperature of the wax kill some of the bacteria we are all worried about?? Just a thought....

Have to say I had this exact conversation the other day with someone, it's not exactly a bacteria friendly environment.

Have to say I had this exact conversation the other day with someone, it's not exactly a bacteria friendly environment.

We've had this discussion loads of times before when I was at College and with other waxing professionals. The general consesus is that no, the bacteria etc will not be able to live in the wax and that it's just scare mongering.

I personally think the biggest problem with the P&S system is that you can transfer hair into the clean wax. The easiest way around that is to use a clean spatula every time.

However, it would be good if you could do neutral independant tests on wax pots from a wide selection of therapists who use good hygiene practices and see what the results are.

Perhaps Dough Schoon could give his opinion on this ..... I know it's not exactly his field, but he's a man of science and could perhaps shed some light on this for us.

Marlise

I personally think it's a money making scam for a lot of manufacturers.I know of not a single experienced waxer that uses a fresh spatula every time she dips.Sorry,this isn't meant to offend anyone.

I use a fresh spat for each and every client,my tweezers are sterilized and if I have any blood spotting then the spatula does not re-enter the wax pot.

My wax is not full of hair and gunk,I dont understand why or how it could be.

I mainly use the Clean and Easy system so dont often use the spatula methos,however I would imagine if you only use the spatula and wax pot system that you get through an awful lot of spatulas in a day.

If there were as many bacteria etc as has been recently publicised I think we would be hearing about cases on a weekly basis judging by the amount of clients who are waxed.As it is we dont hear of any,I would say this is telling us something.

Lets face it,what about paraffin wax dipping treatments,trying shoes on in a shoe shop or clothes for that matter,using the same nail polish on more than one person,drinking out of bottles in a pub,these are to name but a few cross contamination issues.Where do we stop???

With the roller system is it a new roller and tub for each client?

If not can hairs not roll up into the tub? and stick to the roller? please enlighten me x

With the roller system is it a new roller and tub for each client?

If not can hairs not roll up into the tub? and stick to the roller? please enlighten me x

It's not a new head or roller for each client.
You clean the head after each use with a wax cleaner.As fas as I can see no hair gets up into the wax.

I can't see the difference between a spatula and a roller as the roller is still rolling over the skin then back over the wax in the tub isn't it. Therefore skin particles theoretically could actually returning more quickly to the wax surely?-especially as the roller can dry out if the wax doesn't flow freely (geeks have mentioned this problem). At least with the spatular the layer of wax is slightly thicker between the spatula and the client-am I being silly?

The roller wax tub I'm assuming is also wiped down between clients-(in the same hygenic way the spatular is thrown away).

If there is spotting on an area how do you avoid rolling slightly over this if the hair next to the spotting has not been removed. Thanks x

I can't see the difference between a spatula and a roller as the roller is still rolling over the skin then back over the wax in the tub isn't it. Therefore skin particles are actually returning more quickly to the wax surely? At least with the spatular the layer of wax is slightly thicker between the spatula and the client-am I being silly?

The roller wax tub I'm assuming is also wiped down between clients-(in the same hygenic way the spatular is thrown away).

If there is spotting on an area how do you avoid rolling slightly over this if the hair next to the spotting has not been removed. Thanks x
I use the Clean and Easy method not because of contamination issues,but because it is far quicker to use.It is easy to clean and I am more than happy with using it.If I were in any doubt about it whatsoever I wouldn't use it.
The roller is specially designed so that the wax does not re enter the cartridge,thus avoiding contamination.

If I have spotting I swap over to spatula method.This avoids the issue of going over blood spotting areas.I tend to use the spatula for areas that are more prone to blood spotting anyway so this isn't usually an issue for me.HTH

Cool thanks for explaining that, I'm all clear on it now x :)

I'm throwing the spanner in the works here!

Isnt this all common sense stuff?

Who really and truly has the time to keep drizzling wax from one spatula to the next - I dont!

How the heck does anyone end up with GUNK in the wax anyway?

Who really and truly has the time to keep drizzling wax from one spatula to the next - I dont!

How the heck does anyone end with gunk in the wax anyway?

well, now you come to mention it i suppose thats true.
when i went my course though, the tutor was adamant that we should never double dip . i think i just follow this because it seems to make sense, and i know no better.

How the heck does anyone end up with GUNK in the wax anyway?

I do see what you mean but it is an interesting discussion and something clients may and have asked about. I don't feel it is necessary to drizzle but if there was evidence that not drizziling contaminated the wax then I would drizzle no matter how much of a pain it was! :)

I do see what you mean but it is an interesting discussion and something clients may and have asked about. I don't feel it is necessary to drizzle but if there was evidence that not drizziling contaminated the wax then I would drizzle no matter how much of a pain it was! :)
I have never had anyone asked me about it.Including doctors,pharmicists,dentist and physio's that I have waxed.

But yes,you are right,interesting discussion and yes,if it were proven that re dipping were harmful I would be the first to change my methods.:)

It's actually funny this thread came up as someone asked me on friday, the lady is a teacher and she said "I was just wondering how you prevent passing infections on through waxing, I'm sure you can't as otherwise people wouldn't have it done, but could you explain why not". Luckily I had an answer for her! :) I guess a doctor would understand about the insignificantly small chance of possible cross contamination already.

It's actually funny this thread came up as someone asked me on friday, the lady is a teacher and she said "I was just wondering how you prevent passing infections on through waxing, I'm sure you can't as otherwise people wouldn't have it done, but could you explain why not". Luckily I had an answer for her! :) I guess a doctor would understand about the insignificantly small chance of possible cross contamination already.
I think as long as you know the answer you need not worry too much.Your teacher client was obviously not worried too much or she would not have gone ahead with her waxing.xx

Have a look at the babtac site which advises clients to be aware of therapists hygiene procedures while they are treating them it does say that there is a possibility of infection and ideally the one spatula method should be followed although it generally is'nt for large areas.It says quite a bit best have a look for yourselves..also bearing in mind this is sometimes the first port of call for potential customers looking for reputable therapists.

Latest posts

Back