avoiding wax contamination.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at the babtac site which advises clients to be aware of therapists hygiene procedures while they are treating them it does say that there is a possibility of infection and ideally the one spatula method should be followed although it generally is'nt for large areas.It says quite a bit best have a look for yourselves..also bearing in mind this is sometimes the first port of call for potential customers looking for reputable therapists.
I have already visited this site on a number of occasions.Ideally one spatula method.Dont you think if it were absolutely crucial then it would say a damned site more than', ideally'????What does that tell us?

I stick by what I say(pardon the pun)

I dont believe for one minute this is 'sometimes' the first port of call for potential clients.Clients usually come first time on recommendation.

I dont believe the majority of potential clients would even know about this site,not from what I have heard from any new client anyway.Why would they know?

They come for first time waxing,they speak to friends,colleagues,family.Its all about recommendation not looking at some obscure website.I reckon you would probably get 5% look at this and those 5% have never set foot in our salon or any salon I have ever worked in.

I'm not trying to be awkward here,just honest.sorry.xx

Do you know some Therapists may not even know they can get this kind of information from Babtac?

So.... 9 out of 10 clients may not even know it exists!

Do you know some Therapists may not even know they can get this kind of information from Babtac?

So.... 9 out of 10 clients may not even know it exists!
You're right there Adiva.Most dont know it exists so I hardly think this would be where a new potential waxing client would look.

Many years ago before I got into the profession, I went for a leg wax at a new salon that opened in my area.

The outside of the building and the reception area was immaculate and very glossy. However, when I walked into the treatment room, I almost had heart failure. The room was dirty and untidy and the wax pot looked like it had been in the war and had a spatula sticking out of it.

The therapist was very non plussed about all of this and asked me to get on the bed and left. While she was away I looked in the wax post and was horrified to see the state of it. I politely excused myself when she came back in the room and left.

This to be is an extreme case and I would like to think that most therapists practice good hygiene (both in their treatment areas and on clients) and that this is was the exception on the rule.

I agree that the P&S system has been used for years and years, before any of the "modern" methods were even thought of and I have never heard of anything untoward happening to a client. This does not mean we need to be lacks in our hygiene, if anything, we need to practice good hygiene procedures, but perhaps we are all getting too caught up in this "sterile" environment that we try to live in.

Marlise

I agree 100% Marlise,H & S is crucial.Thankfully your experience is in the minority and you did the correct thing in getting out of there ASAP

I do think we are going too far with this sterile bubble thing.

Many years ago before I got into the profession, I went for a leg wax at a new salon that opened in my area.

The outside of the building and the reception area was immaculate and very glossy. However, when I walked into the treatment room, I almost had heart failure. The room was dirty and untidy and the wax pot looked like it had been in the war and had a spatula sticking out of it.

The therapist was very non plussed about all of this and asked me to get on the bed and left. While she was away I looked in the wax post and was horrified to see the state of it. I politely excused myself when she came back in the room and left.

This to be is an extreme case and I would like to think that most therapists practice good hygiene (both in their treatment areas and on clients) and that this is was the exception on the rule.

I agree that the P&S system has been used for years and years, before any of the "modern" methods were even thought of and I have never heard of anything untoward happening to a client. This does not mean we need to be lacks in our hygiene, if anything, we need to practice good hygiene procedures, but perhaps we are all getting too caught up in this "sterile" environment that we try to live in.

Marlise

I've seen a scary wax pot (really dirty) and trolley in my time too! Never went back!

I agree with whats being said im kind of playing devils advocate here i do not follow the one dip method myself except for bikinis, underarms and if there is blood i change spatula.I guess what i am saying is, is there any standard.If babtac are mentioning this, say a client comes to you saying you have given her cold sores if she wanted to sue you would babtac support you or any other insurance if you haven't adhered to the one spatula rule. Also if colleges are advising this method are we really all supposed to be doing it.Does anyone know the situation in america they are usually right up there on these sorts of laws due to how everyone is so quick to sue and we are often not too far behind.Also with the public not being that aware i think it depends for instance ellisons phd advertises itself on avoiding wax contamination with its little green goblin thing so if a salon uses that it would get people thinking about the other method.Babtac is also often quoted in magazines and newspapers as being the main body to find a reputable therapist as they have to have certain qualifications to be members.

Hiya

Think about it this way.

Day in the life of a wax pot

9am upper lip Wax
10.45am Bikini Wax
11am Brows Chin and Upper Lip Wax
1pm Back Wax
1.30 Arm Wax
2pm Bikini Wax
2.30 Bikini
3pm Full Body Wax
4.30pm Chest Wax
5pm Full Leg Wax
5.30 Bikini Wax
Last Wax of the day Upper Lip Wax

If you use the same Materials/Wax for all these people..the pot will have Blood/skin/ Hair Etc resting at the bottom of the pot

What if one of your clients that day had a Blood Virus..that He/She is not aware of?

You have passed on germs..this is not good practise

Hope this helps understand importance of a clean salon enviroment

Jenx

Hiya

Think about it this way.

Day in the life of a wax pot

9am upper lip Wax
10.45am Bikini Wax
11am Brows Chin and Upper Lip Wax
1pm Back Wax
1.30 Arm Wax
2pm Bikini Wax
2.30 Bikini
3pm Full Body Wax
4.30pm Chest Wax
5pm Full Leg Wax
5.30 Bikini Wax
Last Wax of the day Upper Lip Wax

If you use the same Materials/Wax for all these people..the pot will have Blood/skin/ Hair Etc resting at the bottom of the pot

What if one of your clients that day had a Blood Virus..that He/She is not aware of?

You have passed on germs..this is not good practise

Hope this helps understand importance of a clean salon enviroment

Jenx
What exactly can live in the heated wax pot that can be passed on?Enlighten me please?

Also I understand perfectly well the importance of a clean salon environment,I work in one.xx

What exactly can live in the heated wax pot that can be passed on?Enlighten me please?

Also I understand perfectly well the importance of a clean salon environment,I work in one.xx

I know that nothing other than my wax is in my pot......its a super shiny, healthy, sweet smelling pot! :lol:
I do too ( work in a clean salon enviro that is)....but I just cant help myself......I go thru spatulas like they are going outta fashion. :|
Im sure you mentioned that you knew of no waxer that used a new spat EVERY time......but trust me ( my clients will vouch)....and I know not why...other than subconciously believing that this is the most hygienic way to go.....I use a new spatula EVERY time I return to my pot...I dip...apply..and discard the spat... any area...facial....body...bikini....EVERY single time.
Its soooo habit forming! :eek:

:green:

OKay another one to chuck into the erm waxing pot! We hear of a rising number of nail salons being sued because of malpractices in their H&S and it's a relatively new industry on the big scale that it is now. But truthfully how many salons have we heard of that have been sued through malpractice of their waxing - even going back to the hot wax days when the wax was reused?

Again this is a general question, I'm quite new in the industry and can only learn by asking questions like the above.

OKay another one to chuck into the erm waxing pot! We hear of a rising number of nail salons being sued because of malpractices in their H&S and it's a relatively new industry on the big scale that it is now. But truthfully how many salons have we heard of that have been sued through malpractice of their waxing - even going back to the hot wax days when the wax was reused?

Again this is a general question, I'm quite new in the industry and can only learn by asking questions like the above.

Exactly my point Sass,if it were a REAL h&s issue then I am damned sure given the way our country has gone way over the top in this exact department, that they would have done something about the way waxing practices are performed.

I have never,ever heard of one single salon that has been sued for malpractice in their waxing.Neither have my work colleagues both past and present and one of them has been in the business 20 years now.

Dont get me wrong.If it were proven that there are harmful germs in my wax pot or any other wax pot, that could be transmitted|(show me the evidence that whatever it was,was actually contracted via the wax pot)Then I would change my working methods from that day onwards.

Up to this point though I do not and have not seen any evidence whatsoever.

My personal views on this matter are that the heat in my wax pot is enough to kill any nasties that may be past on.If the heat wasn't sufficient dont you think that there would be cases all over the place of clients contracting XYZ disease,virus or whatever else may be lurking in our evil,hair filled,dead skin cells gunk????

Hey I have another spanner to throw in the works,what about all the hair,dead skin cells etc that must be floating in the air in that little old beauty room that we spend all day in?I bet quite a lot of those invisible to the naked eye stuff,enter our wax pots,without us even realising it.Maybe we should use a fresh wax pot for every single client or cover our pots with lids in between clients.Where do we stop??????:eek:

I have never,ever heard of one single salon that has been sued for malpractice in their waxing.Neither have my work colleagues both past and present and one of them has been in the business 20 years now.

Dont get me wrong.If it were proven that there are harmful germs in my wax pot or any other wax pot, that could be transmitted|(show me the evidence that whatever it was,was actually contracted via the wax pot)Then I would change my working methods from that day onwards.

Up to this point though I do not and have not seen any evidence whatsoever.

This is what I said in my previous post. Do you think we could pass this thread to Dough Schoon and see what his opinion is ?

As previously mentioned, I know this might not exactly be his field, but as a scientist, perhaps he could share his views with us ??

Marlise

This is what I said in my previous post. Do you think we could pass this thread to Dough Schoon and see what his opinion is ?

As previously mentioned, I know this might not exactly be his field, but as a scientist, perhaps he could share his views with us ??

Marlise
Might be worth asking him,do you have an addy for him???

Might be worth asking him,do you have an addy for him???

No I don't. Perhaps the moderators on here can pass it on or HeatherDavis definately has one ......

Marlise

A new spatula each dip may be needed...

FHT - Article: Waxing and Cross-Contamination

although as it says no case has come to court over contamination.

Just wanted to add that we do a consultation before waxing to determine whether the client has an infectious disease/condition and we also look to see if there is anything on the skin before waxing. Therefore this in itself prevents any possible transmission of infection as you just woud not wax over an area of herpes for example or take extra precautions on a client with aids.

A new spatula each dip may be needed...

FHT - Article: Waxing and Cross-Contamination

although as it says no case has come to court over contamination.

Thanks hun, that's a great link and seems to answer the question that bacteria can still develop even in the wax temperatures. Although i think i am more confused. Sound though that the good roller systems are the way to go.

Thanks hun, that's a great link and seems to answer the question that bacteria can still develop even in the wax temperatures. Although i think i am more confused. Sound though that the good roller systems are the way to go.

thanks to this thread I am questioning even more the future of the traditional pot ans spatula system, but I am having problems in working out which is the better alternative.

I did buy the Phd J pod system a few weeks ago but was disappointed with how few treatments can be achieved out of each tube. Plus it was very hard work to get the bottom half of the wax out.

I am now considering the roller type but am worried as to how difficult it is to clean the roller heads. What experience does others have with this type of system, especially cleaning the roller heads.

Obiously the cost per treatment with the Phd system was alot more so this will affect the prices charged to the customer.

Confused?!?!?!?

Don't forget the option of a new spatula each dip-the positive side of this is that it will train you to cover larger areas with each dip and therefore eventually speed up your waxing. :)

There is also this random contraption Wax Figures, Inc - Product Page but I'm not liking the scaremongering links on the left which don't actually prove cross contamination happens when you follow the links!

Don't forget the option of a new spatula each dip-the positive side of this is that it will train you to cover larger areas with each dip and therefore eventually speed up your waxing. :)

Think I am going to have to go this way until I have found an alternative that I am happy with.

Latest posts

Back