Cancellation charges!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
Do any of you charge a fee when someone books an appointment that is non refunable if they cancel??

You would have to have terms and conditions in place to state that the deposit would be non refundable if they DNA'd the appointment but would be refunded if they cancelled within say, 24 hours notice.

Thanks thinking of doing that because I had a cancelation today & they were having gel fingers toes & tan!!!

Well I'm mobile so can't do this, I always state that I need 24 hours notice of a cancellation. Any less than this and they incurr a 50% charge, haven't yet had to do it though.

I must be a bit mean and strict my policy is 48 hrs 25% charge and 24hrs notice 50% charge I do give a letter reminding them of our policy first time then after that they get charged and unfortunately Iv had to do it quite a few times :( I have it too put people off more than anything I don't want clients that are gonna mess me about !!

i think if you have to use it as a threat! if people know your going to charge them 50% if they cancel there less likely to! if you think about it as you are the client if i was going for an appointment and my friend asked my to go to lunch! if i didn't have to pay a cancellation fee then i would prob cancel the appointment but if i knew that i would have to pay 50% i would think twice! x

Do people pay the cancellation charges or just go somewhere else and avoid paying?
I don't charge but If I have anyone who likes messing me about I tell them I'm busy or swap their appointment till they get fed up of me. Eeek!
I've only had to do it twice, it hasn't affected business for me but it saved me wasting my time one people who think I'm at their beck an call.

Do people pay the cancellation charges or just go somewhere else and avoid paying?
I don't charge but If I have anyone who likes messing me about I tell them I'm busy or swap their appointment till they get fed up of me. Eeek!
I've only had to do it twice, it hasn't affected business for me but it saved me wasting my time one people who think I'm at their beck an call.

I do the same thing. I think you get a feel for the clients who will constantly mess you around after a couple of times, so i just tell them i'm too busy to book them in. Its only happened a couple of times but i'd rather they went somewhere else than continuously booked appointments they wont keep. I'm mobile, so luckily dont have to deal with the no shows but last minute cancellations are really annoying without a valid reason.

I also think you would find it hard to actually get the charge, they would probably just go elsewhere and charging a deposit might put new clients off booking :hug:

I must be a bit mean and strict my policy is 48 hrs 25% charge and 24hrs notice 50% charge I do give a letter reminding them of our policy first time then after that they get charged and unfortunately Iv had to do it quite a few times :( I have it too put people off more than anything I don't want clients that are gonna mess me about !!

I do much the same. I charge 100% if its less than 12 hours notice or if they don't turn up! I have the policy written on my client record cards which they read and sign on their first vist. I also have the policy written on my appointment cards.

I don't think its "a bit mean", we are running businesses to earn a living and time is money - if someone cancels very late or doesn't turn up, I can't resell which means I am not earning money. How would they like it if they turned up for work and were told they wouldn't be paid for one or two random hours in the day?

In the seven years that I have been in business I have only had two people not come back because of a cancellation charge. One rang about a year later assuming I had forgotten.... but I hadn't :)

Well I'm mobile so can't do this, I always state that I need 24 hours notice of a cancellation. Any less than this and they incurr a 50% charge, haven't yet had to do it though.

im mobile so it is alot harder to charge, I once had a lady cancel on me just as I was about to turn down her street, I was fuming and when she wanted to make another appointment I requested a deposit but as I can only take payments from Paypal she didnt have a paypal and no appointment was made.
Anyway a couple of weeks later, she made an appointment via my online system, I was a bit dubious to go but now she is one of my loyal clients.

i had a lady cancel a couple of hours before her appointment because she said she was not well, I do have a cancellation policy on my website but how can I charge for that, I'm not busy so don't think about it too much, if i had turnt down someone else then i would have been annnoyed.

its a very hard situation.

I think 24 hours to cancel is outrageous, so much can happen in 24 hours out of control of anyone.

My cancellation policy is 3 hours.

The first time I charge you 50% of your appointment, anything after that I charge you 100%.

If any of you think this is outrageous or lenient, just think about what can happen within your family in a 24hour period that you have no control over.

You may think that 24 hours is what you would like/prefer, but think about it from the other end, do you know when the ****e is gonna hit the fan ?, would you like to be fined that amount?, do you know that far in advance?, or do you just like to take advantage of people who have busy lives ?

Our industry is give and take, so what makes you more important than a doctor when you cancel an appointment with less than 24 hours?

We all do it, and have all done it, but apparently there are some high and mighty nailtechs that think they are above doctors and demand more reward for a cancellation .... GET A GRIP GIRLS/GUYS, YOU DO NAILS, YOU ARE NOT A SCIENTIST.

****e happens in our clients lives as well as ours and sometimes our nail technician is the last thing on our mind, you really should see where you stand on the ladder of importance, instead of thinking you are first and foremost.

Do any of you charge a fee when someone books an appointment that is non refunable if they cancel??

No. Firstly, over here in Australia it's not entirely lawful to do so. Secondly, in the past I've had to cancel on the day of appointments due to unforeseen circumstances. So I figure that something like this goes both ways.

Of course, if the client is problematic in that they do it more than once then action is warranted but, again, charging a fee can be difficult to enforce.

Ask me tomorrow!

I've one client that has messed me about for the last several appointments. I decided after the last cancellation, 1 hour before I was due to go, that this was her last chance.............

Shes booked in for tomorrow morning, I text her Thursday and she said was still ok. Friday (after I'd posted on facebook, that I had a client that day) she text me to say she was now working Monday and could she get in Friday. I replied I couldn't and what did she want to do about Monday? No reply. I text her Saturday tea time, no reply....

How can you actually charge people? I'm mobile. Do you knock on their door and say, hey you owe me 50% of your treatment price because you didn't show up?

Can't see how it will work. It's blinking annoying though.

I have a cancellation policy in place at my salon and it goes like this:

Regulars

I ask for 12 hours notice, any less then that I impose a 50% cancellation charge. Unless it is a genuine situation, then I give them the benefit of the doubt twice. However if they do continue to cancel with less notice then I charge or suggest that they dont book and call me on the day and ill try and fit them in.

New customers

I ask for 24 hours or I will charge 50%. now this is where it take a bit of twist, IF they come in to pay their charge ( and they do) and rebook then I waive the charge and instead take the 50% as deposit for their next appointment. This I find creates a trust between me and the client as It now means that I have done something for them as they have taken the time to come in and pay.

These customers must then pay for their appointments in advance 3-4 times and then when I feel a relationship has started to build up, I stop doing this.

The new ones that dont show up with their cancellation fee go into a book that is checked with every appointment call and if they try to re book, I politely explain that they have a fee outstanding and because of this, I cant confirm their appointment until they come in and pay.

It works very well and deters some clients who are frankly rude to not bother to show up or call.

If I dont show up for my dentist appointment and more recently my garage for the booked in service then I have to pay a charge. I see myself as no different than any other business making a living. Its just courtesy to make a very quick call, an email or facebook message or even a text.

However, In a genuine difficulty I would waive the charge.

Its very difficult to enforce and I dont waste my time sending invoices etc, I just put them in my black book and not allow them to waste my time a second time unless they hand over credit card details OR pop in to pay.

tigi
xxx

I think 24 hours to cancel is outrageous, so much can happen in 24 hours out of control of anyone.

My cancellation policy is 3 hours.

The first time I charge you 50% of your appointment, anything after that I charge you 100%.

If any of you think this is outrageous or lenient, just think about what can happen within your family in a 24hour period that you have no control over.

You may think that 24 hours is what you would like/prefer, but think about it from the other end, do you know when the ****e is gonna hit the fan ?, would you like to be fined that amount?, do you know that far in advance?, or do you just like to take advantage of people who have busy lives ?

Our industry is give and take, so what makes you more important than a doctor when you cancel an appointment with less than 24 hours?

We all do it, and have all done it, but apparently there are some high and mighty nailtechs that think they are above doctors and demand more reward for a cancellation .... GET A GRIP GIRLS/GUYS, YOU DO NAILS, YOU ARE NOT A SCIENTIST.

****e happens in our clients lives as well as ours and sometimes our nail technician is the last thing on our mind, you really should see where you stand on the ladder of importance, instead of thinking you are first and foremost.
If this was Facebook, i'd 'LIKE' this!!!

Anything more than a couple of hours and I think the therapists are being unreasonable - to be honest i'm just greatful when someone does actually bother to cancel full stop, rather than just not bothering to let me know - I work from home and mobile and the times I turn up at people's houses or sit at home waiting for them is untrue but hey, that's life...!!

I have a cancellation policy. Basically for a no show or serial canceller I require they pre-pay.

I can't be bothered with chasing for charges. I use the time to work on promoting the business, online work etc when I have spare time.

Mat

Yes and i do the same as Mat as I copied his policy :)

Which is on my blog here if anyone wants a look.

Hi,

We state on our price list we would appreciate 24 hours notice of cancellation or 50% of cost of treatment will be required. However, I think in 20 years I have only ever had to do this 3 times.

I think that because we try to pre-empt a missed appointment by -

Always ringing new clients to confirm appointment day before.

Always ring regulars who are 'serial forgetters' on the day of appointment.

In December we open 10 - 4 on a Sunday and we always call day before to confirm time, treatment etc as it is a day we are normally closed.

Anyone who is a 'mess abouter' ie 5 mins before due in cancels has it explained very politely that it is unfair on other clients and staff and usually finds it very hard to get booked in next time.

I hate the idea of charging for something I have not done, if the person or their child is ill I would never charge and sometimes traffic stops them getting yo you - who's fault is it then? I think its impossible to stop all no shows but by doing the above we find it does minimise them.

Does anyone ring/text all clients to confirm? I wonder if that works - I think I would find that hard to do for everyday

Hi Mat,

I am fairly new to SG, I would love to read your blog about cancellation policy - how do I find it?

As you can see I just spent 10min searching with no luck! LOL

Alex-Lydia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back