cervical cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I know this is an older thread but I was thinking about this the other week.
How do you know when you're supposed to go for a smear? Do the doctors tell you or do you have to book in yourselves?

Do you have to start at a particular age or anything?

Sorry for the questions,

Louise xx

Hi,

I know this is an older thread but I was thinking about this the other week.
How do you know when you're supposed to go for a smear? Do the doctors tell you or do you have to book in yourselves?

Do you have to start at a particular age or anything?

Sorry for the questions,

Louise xx

If the system works properly you should get a letter but only if you are registered with a doctor will this work. If you have not had one and are 25 or older according to the NHS NHS Cervical Screening Programme and are sexually active then you should contact your gp and ask to have one :hug: You can also have one at your local GUM clinic and while you are there you can have a full sexual health check up :hug: Don't be sorry for asking x It can be completely painless too if done properly so there's nothing to be scared of. x

I have already been sen by the docs and have been fully briefed lol, I am just so ashamed with myself for ignoring something this important for over 5 years!!!!!

I've just been reading the thread and you said you were 26, and been ignoring this for 5 years.... when do u start having smear tests? I have never had one and I am 23... I thought they started when you were 25?

I thought smears started when your 18....thats when i had my first.......weezie is correct .......your doctor should write and ask you to come in .......

I have one every 3 years .thats what i was told xxxxxxxx

well im 25 and i get my letter last week (along with leaflets etc) - i had to have it done before my 26th birthday (which was the due date for test) im off on tues.

embarrassed?? yeah big time - when i ring the drs - my friends mum answers (shes on reception) - i booked an appointment and its with the nurse - who i also know!! i think id prefer a stranger but hey ho its booked now. xx

Hi there girlies!!

I think the guidelines changed for the NHS Smear Testing approx 1 year ago.
You used to have to start going when you were 18 and sexually active but because there is a lower risk in young females they raised the age to 25.
I hope this helps and stopped a few people worrying they'd been missed off the system!!

xxxxx

Well I had a smear test yesterday and I tell you I wish every doctor was as wonderful as this lady. She warmed that horrible metal thing first, and was so gentle the whole way through. Gigi uses the same doctor and had already told me how great this doctor is and I thought how the heck can it be okay?!!! Well she was right ... and in her words (which i hope she won't mind me using) you wouldn't know she'd been there!

So if all the nurses and doctors took a little more consideration for something that we all hate having done then maybe less people would be so relucatant about having such a potentially life saving test.

This thread has given me a reminder. I think I'll ring on Monday and book myself in. Someone give me a kick up the backside if I don't.......I'm so bad at making appointments.

Guilty as charged.

I have a reminder letter sitting in my things to do tray.....but I never get round to making the appointment.
You have just remineded me why its so important......Thank you.

Hope all goes well! x

In England, they changed the 'start' age for smear tests, it was available to any female who was sexually active, but now the starting age is 25!! My mum was found with pre cancerous cells so I'm super paranoid about this sort of thing, especially as I have awful periods - every female on my mum's side seems to have problems with that area!

I had my first smear about 2 years ago, I knew my nurse fairly well as her son was good friends with one of my sisters, and because I had bad tummy cramps in between my periods, she agreed to do a smear test for me. It's not exactly the most dignified thing but it's over in a couple of minutes...you spend longer in that position during childbirth! LOL!

Luckily in Wales, that starting age is lower...actually I don't even think there's an age! So yay for me, I'll be booking in for my 2nd test once the dreaded time of the month is over!

Pffft...men don't have this trouble! Bstards!

I had my first a 18 and I hate them but they are better now than they were then, much less uncomfortable (if you can believe that), really they were so terrible I would get myself into such a state. The thingy was metal and cold and they used to scrape about so much it nipped and I always had a bit of a bleed after. I am going all goosey at the thought.

It is worth getting done, dont put it off. A few mo's of discomfort is worth it if it prevents cancer. So if you have had a notification go get it done. If not go see your doc and demand one OK.

When I was 20 I had to have an op to remove pre-cancerous cells from my cervix. I had to have smears every 6 months for a few years and now 1 years later I still have to go once a year. In Australia the recommendation is every 2 years.

I have a friend whos 31 and never had a smear. People have the misconception it's an old ladies problem but I was 20 when I had my problem.

In Australia they've bought in the vaccination for under 25s for free because they think that women under 25 are less likely to have a smear.

I was always told the rule of thumb for smears is 18 or when you become sexually active - whichever is first.

Anyone under 25, I'd be asking for a smear because of the prevelance of younger women with problems. By the time you turn 25 it could be too late.

Last edited:
get making friends with those boobies too girls !!
I get the Dr to have a feel around when I get my smear done. My Mums had quite a few lumps cut out of her boobs and one of her female cousins died of breat cancer about 25 years ago and a male cousin of hers died of breast cancer not long ago.

I'm sure the Dr's must think I'm weird but I get my boobs out as they're finishing the smear.

I think that all us ladies should support one another!! This is so easy to write yet hard to do. I go every 3 years and i,m lucky nothing as yet. But i think i,d rather have a smear than go through induced labour!!!!!! I know your think WHAT but I have 4 daughters. And on my last labour i had to be induced (they thought she was over due) Not in my books though. I had my waters broke and then i was pumped with drugs to start the labour off. Well lay on the bed in one postion for nearly 5 and half hours is not fun the canula was in at the elbow and i couldnt bend my arm as the alarm went off on the drip and all i had was gas and air to cope. Then told you have to go pee and you dont want to go and then they try and make you go is not funny after all that trying i told them i had to push and to put a long story short the pain and the labour were one thing i wouldnt want togo through again. It was constant pain and a smear is a breeze all of 5 mins and its over more uncomfortable than painful.

I make it an excuse to be pampered i go the salon all the waxing thing and make my bits look the best. Its more the embaressment than anything. Do i smell do i look normal. But the nurse has seen that many she is just doing her job and she is trained, Like all of us.

so get those appoinments booked !!!!!!

Last edited:
Had mine today - panicked about it for 2 weeks, it was over in a few minutes, a tiny tiny bit uncomfortable but more of a tickly feeling really.
In fact i spent longer waiting in the waiting room then i did having the test done. For those of you that have never had one or who are worried about it (like i was) it really is nothing to worry about - I burst out laughing straight after cos i felt like i'd made a huge fuss over nothing!!
Get em booked ladies xx

Since i last posted on this thread, i had abnormal results, had to go for a colposcopy and then have laser to remove the cells.

So dont put it off!:)

In my local authority area, the reason for raising the age to 25 was due to insufficiant funding. How horrific is that?

I am 22 and have had 2 smear teast for various reasons. To be honest I don't find them embaressing, as my mum told me when I first went, if your mature enough to have sex your mature enough to have a smear, kinda puts in perspective for me.

It is so sad that we don't feel comfortable enough to pop along for something that takes 10 mins but could potentially save our lives. Its also sad that the NHS does not have enough funds to allow all girls the chance to have one when younger.

I know this is obviously not the only thing we should check ourselves before, but we need to change our outlook on it what's embaressing about saving your life?

Becki xxx

Since i last posted on this thread, i had abnormal results, had to go for a colposcopy and then have laser to remove the cells.

So dont put it off!:)

Was the laser terribly painful?- if you don't mind me asking :hug:

Latest posts

Back