Client with fleas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileKat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client (i'm mobile) who i see every 2 wks for spraytan (she always books several of her family in for spraytan on the same eve). so the money is good only prob is every 2 wks on the thurs (i visit her wed eve) i come out with, what i thought were heat lumps, only to be told by my doctor that they are flea bites. am supposed to be going nxt wed but have decided its not worth the hassle. trouble is i dont know what to say when she phones (she fones tues night to tell me how many other clients i will be spraying)

any ideas?

That is a difficult one to handle tactfully! Do they have a lot of pets too? Maybe you could mix Frontline or Stronghold into the spray tan liquid lol...

Seriously though it's not good for your health if you get flea bites every time you visit them. Sounds like their house needs to be treated; ages ago we got some stuff from the vet's that you could spray on carpets etc to kill fleas...

She must have a cat or a dog then.I guess if you still want to go for the money wear appropriate clothes,long socks,boots etc and you could spray your legs with repellant.Rub tea tree oil on yourself that is supposed to be a natural repellant.

If she obviously has pets ie you've seen them, perhaps telling her you've developed an allergy?

hi. could you not tell her that you have come out in a rash every time you have visited her house and intill you find out what the rash/itching/reaction is you cant come round ,maybe that might plant a seed , as to speak and she might realise then. go from there and see what happens .i wouldnt tell her though if she doesnt click.

Definately turn up in a space suit and say thats what us therapist wear nowadays!!!
Seriously though I would just say you are allergic to pets so cannot continue treating them ewwwww lol

You do have to be diplomatic on this one so not to offend.
Plus it sounds like you get a nice bit of business from her and friends etc.
What you could do is ring her and tell her you wont be able to make it due to having an allergy to fleas (make out you have a cat or dog) and that it has made you quite ill. The doctor has advised you to be careful when seeing clients who have animals etc saying things like, you never realised in all these years that your cat... and home need to be treated yearly....

Just an idea :)
x

Ps those little buggars could probably get through a spacesuit too lol rubber would be your best bet;)

Tell her no and leg it before you catch any.
Failing that....how about telling her the truth??
She may not even know??

The only way to deal with this is to be completly upfront..tell her you love comming to do the family,and what a wonderful bunch they are,trouble is after every visit you seem to break out in spots...youve been to doc and he has said itd flea bites .

Ask them if they can spray the carpets bla bla bla before you come next time.
being upfront and honest is the only way if you wish to keep going to this customer.
She will probably thnk you for being honest :hug:

She must have a cat or a dog then.I guess if you still want to go for the money wear appropriate clothes,long socks,boots etc and you could spray your legs with repellant.Rub tea tree oil on yourself that is supposed to be a natural repellant.

I would do this but also bring it up in conversation about fleas and they are horrible to get rid of.....they might not realise they have them as some people don't.

Hi, can't you suggest to do the treatment in someone else's house (other members of the family who do the treatment as well) , or your place if you have a good space?

Could you suggest you do it at your house?
Offer them all 10% off for the trouble of coming to you.
(It sounds like you get alot of business from her & don't really want to loose her custom) surly better to loose 10% and not have bites.
(plus you should save in time, petrol & set up, packing away)

Or if not maybe the tea tree or another flea repellent.

It depends with how well you know this client & if you feel you could say to her about the flea bites. (I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way or offend you in any way but the last few times I have been round I have had small red marks on my legs when I went to the doc's about them he has said they are flea bites)
or say
Oh you'll never guess what happened to me I went to the doc's with a rash on my ankle & it turned out to be flea bites, no idea where I got them from as I don't have pets & neither do any of my clients - (she might then pipe up & say Oh I do) or at least it might get her to think about it!
or say the only client I have who has pets had her place/ carpets treated only last month.

Hope some of the above helps - Good Luck!

Carla

This is so difficult if you do tell her you have flea bites chances are she may not call you again as she may be embarased so you may loose your clients...

It's only a suggestion but if you want to keep her as a client couldn't you buy a cheap flea coller maybe for a cat and put it on your leg or arm. it might help even if you think its mad lol

xx

Wait wait: Your doctor made a diagnosis about a woman's condition he's never seen? Plus, you didn't mention that this family had any cats or dogs and you didn't say anything about fleas jumping up on your feet or ankles (which would likely occur if if the home was infested). I'm not trying to rain on the solution parade but a the conclusion of fleas seems unfounded. ox kelly

I know how to prevent mosquitos biting but not fleas, however it may be the same for them - drink anything with quinine in such as tonic water or bitter lemon but I had a look on a website I use for any questions about my dog and found this...

"try taking B vitamins, or eating brewers yeast. Both are reputed to make the blood less appealing to fleas and other biting insects."

So if you do venture in, try doing that first!!
HTH's Maxine x

Wait wait: Your doctor made a diagnosis about a woman's condition he's never seen? Plus, you didn't mention that this family had any cats or dogs and you didn't say anything about fleas jumping up on your feet or ankles (which would likely occur if if the home was infested). I'm not trying to rain on the solution parade but a the conclusion of fleas seems unfounded. ox kelly

I think MobileKat is the one who is coming out in the bumps and her doctor diagnosed her not her client.

I agree with a few other people. Honestly is definitely the best way to go. Sometimes, no matter how hard you hint, people dont get it and then you're stuck again!
Depending on how well you know her, its going to be awkward. Personally, I wouldn't put the blame on her, even if youre such its her house with the fleas. Just say that you've been getting these bumps which your doctor diagnosed as flea bites. He suggested that you call all of your clients (as you yourself do not have any pets) and make them aware of the situation and see if everyones animals are up to date with their flea treatments.

One thing I know is that fleas are known for being hard to get rid of once a house has become infested. If she says that she has treated and you still come out in the bumps, maybe its best, as someone else has suggested, to let her come round yours if possible?

Good luck!

OMG, what was I thinkin'!??! oxoxo so sorry!

I really don't think it's a wise move to tell your client she has fleas (and why am I scratching my head as I type?). Can you imagine if you had that said to you? You'd be horrified I'm sure.

Seems like you have two options:-

1. You carry on tanning them as it's a good earner and put up with the itching.

2. You just be fully booked everytime they call.

Flea collars around your ankles ? :)

Latest posts

Back