CND enamel thinner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignatz

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of the Thinner as some of my enamels have thickened a little. The problem is that I have no idea how much of it I should use? Had I better use an eyedropper, it seems impossible to pour it straight from the bottle?
Could someone on here help me on this please! I asked my educator and she couldn't tell.

An Eye dropper, or liquid dropper is a safe option, when in doubt you could also use a very small funnell... the amount to use is hit and miss, add a very small amount at a time until it creates the consistancy you want.

My question back to you is why thin a CND enamel? As they are one of the most advanced formulas they should not thicken... If they do it means there is evaporation happening... which only happens from one of two things

1) The top has been left off for too long
2) the bottle is too old and should be disposed of...

By the way, to the best of my knowledge there is no CND thinner, was it another brand thinner you purchased through a CND supplier?

another option is keep your enamels in the fridge flower - thats if you have the facility for this- works wonders - keeps them thin

My question back to you is why thin a CND enamel? As they are one of the most advanced formulas they should not thicken... If they do it means there is evaporation happening... which only happens from one of two things

1) The top has been left off for too long
2) the bottle is too old and should be disposed of...

By the way, to the best of my knowledge there is no CND thinner, was it another brand thinner you purchased through a CND supplier?

my boss wont entertain cnd enamels (cos she dont like the shape of the bottle - :cry: she stocks opi, i find they (opi)thicken quite quick, and are useless after a certain amount of useage. i love cnd enamels, i havent yet had one that has gone gloopy on me, and i DONT keep cnd enamels in the fridge

Correct, good expensive formula means high quality product that shouldn't ever go thick ;)

doesn't like shape of bottle eh...? oh well, can't help all the people all the time as they say lol

I have had a couple of CND polishes go a bit thick on me... the main one seems to be Moonlight & Roses... but I just pour a little bit out of a new bottle into the one that's gone a bit thicker, turn the bottle over and rub between my hands to mix and its good as new again. I always keep spares of my favourite colours for this reason (as well as retail opportunities) The only other one that I have noticed to happen with is Creme Puff.. and I put this down to the time its exposed to the air when I am doing detailed work with the white, but again I just add a little from a new bottle and its good as new again.

I have read on here that CND polishes are thixotropic and don't thicken so I would be surprised if they sell a thinner. Anyhow... I have used thinners on OPI and my advice would be, only used one or two drops - you can always add more later on - give the bottle a good roll between your palms, then leave it for an hour or so before checking it. I don't think thinners work instantly, or not properly anyway, so best to check all your polishes and thin any that need it, rather than find a client wants a colour, it needs thinning and you don't have a spare hour...

I have never seen polish thinner in CND's brochure only a thinner for UV topcoat. In my experience I have never needed to thin my enamel out tho I do turn over cream puff quite quickly. A girl that worked for me put a thinner in my white and french pink and I had no idea what was wrong with it until a strong smell came out of it - a chemical type of smell - also the enamel applied streakily so I threw them out. They just dont need it, if they do thicken shake them for a little longer.

Just for those that are interested - here is the definition of Thixotropic

Describes a material which undergoes a reduction in viscosity when shaken, stirred or otherwise mechanically disturbed and which readily recovers the original condition on standing.

To put the record straight so there is no question ...... CND do not make enamel thinner. Why?? Because CND enamels do not need to be thinned unless they are Years old .. with the one small exception of the whites.

ALL white enamels of any variety thicken quicker because of the amount of titanium in the colour AND because they are wide open for longer than any other colour when we use them.

If you want to thin your white CND polishes a tad, then either do as Jen suggests and add some new to the old OR add 2-3 drops of Stickey Base Coat when you feel the need.

So how come it thickens/dries more quickly (because it is exposed "wide open" to the air more)?

When in other threads on helping polish dry faster, you are supposed to starve them of exposure to the air?

This is a bit of a conundrum that I haven't quite got my head around.

Surely if starving a Polish of oxygen were to work in theory (they are starved of it in the bottle), therefore should dry up in the bottle (as they are starved of oxygen in the bottle).

So how come it thickens/dries more quickly (because it is exposed "wide open" to the air more)?

When in other threads on helping polish dry faster, you are supposed to starve them of exposure to the air?

Surely if starving a Polish of oxygen were to work in theory (they are starved of it in the bottle), therefore should dry up in the bottle (as they are starved of oxygen in the bottle).
now thats thrown me!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Would it be to do with the surface area that is exposed? In a polish bottle thats very little thanks to the very small neck?

I live in fear of you raising this one again:)

My answer is that in the bottle, there is no room for the solvents to evaporate and therefore the enamel will not thicken as they are trapped in the bottle. Open to the atmosphere the solvents escape which alters the formula of the polish and allows the necessary solvents that keep the polish 'open' to escape.

Drying is a process whereby we wait for the solvents to evporate which is part of the drying process. Lack of oxygen on the surface of the polish helps the solvents to escape more quickly from the enamel.

In the bottle when it is closed, there may be a lack of oxygen, but there is nowhere for the solvents to escape, so the polish keeps viable for longer. Given enough time, the polish would dry in the bottle too but it would be a long slow process indeed in the small amount of room available. Polishes that are nearly used up will deteriorate over time as there is more room in the bottle for solvents to dissipate.

The benefit of the polish being thixotropic is that when not agitated, or just standing unused, the polish sort of goes into a state of suspension until the polish is agitatated which allows the solvents to evaporate even more slowley than in polishes that are not thixotropic. This is the reason CND polishes last in good condition for so long.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oooh my grey cell was half functioning this morning then :lol:

I think..........

Latest posts

Back