Contact Lenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear contact lenses whilest working?

• Yes

Votes: 116 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 225 66.0%

• Total voters
Here's another website for you I have had these recommended to me by 4 clients and they've had no problems at all.

I am going to treat myself to it next year wanted it this year but by big 40 birthday bash came first lol

http://www.optimaxuk.co.uk/

Jue xx

Mrs Gadget said:
Here's another website for you I have had these recommended to me by 4 clients and they've had no problems at all.

I am going to treat myself to it next year wanted it this year but by big 40 birthday bash came first lol

http://www.optimaxuk.co.uk/

Jue xx
JULIE!! Thanks so much for posting this link - i had an idea you could get the treatment for around £500 per eye - but could not remember the name of the clinic - it was Optimax!! They have a fantastic payment plan - a deposit of £90 and then 11 X £100 over 11 months. THAT is MUCH more affordable for me now. I am SERIOUSLY thinking of booking in January/Febraury time. I have sent off for 3 info packs - one for Jo and one for Tina....

Im SOOO excited!

No probs if they ask you who recommended them just say me lol that way I get £25 vouchers for recommending friends.

My friend got hers and gave it to me bless her although she is my best friend too.

They rang me today too to confirm my consultation date in the new year.

Am not having it done before Nailympics though as I need to practice for my first competition.

Booked my 1-2-1 with Kelly Swain last week at the Masters Evening and she asked me if I wanted to sit next to her at the competition to give me support etc was well chuffed.

Anyway back to laser treatment I will let you know how I get on in my consultation in the new year - the cost etc.

Jue xxx

i have the contact lenses that you keep in constantly for a month, so I have to keep them in or it wouldn't be worth paying double the price :) I'm really short sighted, can't see past the end of my nose, so it's brilliant in the morning

I've tried those too - they didn't suit me because I have really dry eyes but I think that whatever lenses you wear, it is really bad for your eyes. I know I am not willing to risk my eyesight - no matter how small the risk. I can't imagine a world without being able to see....Not see my kids growing up, not being able to do the job i love are enough reasons for starters!

I'm definatley going to Optimax in the New Year - CANT WAIT!

Sara have you had your optimax info? what did it say and how much? do we get group discount lol

Hi, heard the same information about wearing contact lenses while doing nails. Went to my optician and he said that the contact lenses actually offer protection for your eyes.

:Scared: After receiveing my info, and pondering over the price, then putting it away in the drawer and deciding to leave it till a later date.....I received a letter last week - offering me a special discount to get BOTH eyes done for £690, £() deposit then £50 per month for 12 months...

I realy couldn't afford to miss this offer (ends end of Feb 05) so I've booked in for Friday 11th February. Im really nervous now, but excited at the same time. I can't wait to be able to throw my glasses in the bin...

If anyone wants any info - PM me for the details

Just wondering how your eye surgery went? A few of my clients have recommended this to me &, as I'm sick of wearing glasses to work, I was thinking of giving it a go myself! Did you go to the Liverpool clinic? Most importantly, did it hurt??? I'm such a wimp! :o

Nic. x

I also wear glasses for work but that is out of preference - don't think I could put contacts in!!!!

I have been wearing contact lenses for over 22 years. I now wear daily disposable lenses and because they are only worn for a few hours at work there is no risk of vapours permeating them - this would be different for gas permeable lenses that are designed to allow oxygen to permeate the lens & therefore many other gases. Monthly soft disposable lenses could be affected but that would depend on how much they are exposed to the vapours (it would have to be a considerable amount).

Being married to an optometrist I would always say trust your optician to look after your eyes and your nail tech to look after your nails! Horses for courses.

But isn't dust still a problem? I also have daily disposable lenses but was warned against wearing them for work. My optician didn't know if it was a problem when I asked her.

Jennifer said:
Hi, heard the same information about wearing contact lenses while doing nails. Went to my optician and he said that the contact lenses actually offer protection for your eyes.

This is an interesting one. I find that I cannot work with the products (mainly resin) without my contact lenses in. The fumes from the resin makes my eyes water. I have good ventilation in my salon and a desk with an extractor, but maybe I have my head a little to close to the nails? I have no problems at all with my monthly disposables in though.

So my experience is certainly that the lenses are protecting my eyes.

After reading this post I decided find out more about having my eyes lasered so I left my details on optimax's site last night & they phoned me this morn! V quick response. Seems they have an offer on until end of march (£500 off), now I just have to see if I'm brave enough to book in!

nicjill said:
After reading this post I decided find out more about having my eyes lasered so I left my details on optimax's site last night & they phoned me this morn! V quick response. Seems they have an offer on until end of march (£500 off), now I just have to see if I'm brave enough to book in!

Hi there nic!

Im so sorry it took so long to reply to this thread - i've had a lot on my plate at the moment, and i've not been on as much - I must have missed it!

The "special offer" you mention was the one I signed up for - but was told only ran till end of feb! I never went ahead with my surgery - mostly because of the consent form I had to sign....It was very off putting - I never quite realised how many things could go wrong. I realise that they do have to list ALL eventualities, but I was too worried about it to go ahead. My main concern really was the bit where it said not to go ahead if you suffer with anxiety or are a perfectionist (!!!) - both of which are a BIG problem for me. I was also worried about the complication of blurred night vision, and other permanant side effects. In the end im sure it would have been perfectly ok, but I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to keep on with the glasses - at least I know my eyes will be safe. It was a very difficult descision tho!

Good luck with whatever you decide X

:irked: eek, now I don't know what to do! Thought my only problem was being a wimp! Will have to look into this a bit more. From what I already know, the risks are very small & most people are perfectly happy with the result but better safe than sorry. Thanks for getting back to me Sara, I will certainly bear what you said in mind before making any decision.

nicjill said:
:irked: eek, now I don't know what to do! Thought my only problem was being a wimp! Will have to look into this a bit more. From what I already know, the risks are very small & most people are perfectly happy with the result but better safe than sorry. Thanks for getting back to me Sara, I will certainly bear what you said in mind before making any decision.

Hi again Nic!

Don't get me wrong - im not saying the eye surgery is a BAD thing - i dont know enough about it to make such an assumption - it's just that for me - and at this present time - it's not right...I havn't ruled out getting it done in maybe 1/2 years time....;) go with you're gut feeling - it's usually right!

Hi there!
I have just read with interest all the posts regarding glasses, contact lenses and laser eye surgery!
I wore glasses from the age of 11 and hated every minute of it!
I eventually managed to afford lenses when I was about 18 and loved them!
I did read many articles on the danger of wearing lenses for long periods and obviously around dust etc and must say that I found nail dust irritated my lenses. So I had to resort to wearing my glasses for work! Yuck!
Eventually after researching laser surgery since I was 14, attending a seminar with an optometrist friend of mine, who gave me the thumbs up, I took the plunge and had my eyes done! AMAZING!
I had mine done at Optimax clinic in Bristol and opted for the Lasik treatment as the PRK treatment took a few days to heal and I was told, by a friend who had PRK, that it was quite painful for a few days after!
The lasik took about 20minutes from prep to going out the door and I could see straight away! (Albeit with a plastic patch over it!)And there was NO pain! Just a little discomfort for the 1st evening.
I had mine done 1 at a time, but a client has recently been to the same place and they now do them at the same appointment-saves trips to the clinic!
By the next day I could see perfectly! I think it must be 4 or 5 years ago that I had it done and my eyes are still brilliant!
I have perfect vision in both eyes!
I would say to the geek who was scared off by the consent form that it is very rare for anything to go wrong, but they, like us, have to cover all possible side effects or potential problems!
If you really want to throw away those glasses and lenses as much as I wanted to, I'd say "go for it! " It's changed my life for the better!

Im in the position where my eyesight is that bad that glasses aren't really strong enough for me to wear (ie no matter the strength they still are not strong enough for me to drive for exaple), so unfortunately I don't have a choice but to wear contact lenses. I am aware that vapours can collect behind lenses, but I wear safety glasses to try and minimise the risks as much as I can.

When you have to wear bifocal lenses, you don't have much choice...glasses for me, I got stuck with bifocal at the ripe ole age of 21!!!

Latest posts

Back