Desperate for help with bubbles in L&P!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hope you can help, cos I'm being driven up the wall here!

I can't seem to apply my acrylic without there being loads of bubbles!

I have read everything I can find about why this happens and tried everything.... According to everything I have read, my mix ratio is correct. Bead settles to correct shape after 3-4 secs, no excess monomer puddled around etc.

There is no dust around and I am pressing and guiding my bead with the flags of the brush.

I am posting a couple of pics here so you can see how bad it is! I am deliberatly practicing on clear tips so I can see how even my application is.

Please don't pick on my smile line :) that's the least of my worries at the mo!

Any help would be great, I've been doing about 20 tips a day for the last week and though my application is much more even the bubbles are no better or worse than 200 tips ago :cry:

Any help would be really appreciated...

Lisa x

Attachments

• Acrylic Bubbles 01.jpg
    Acrylic Bubbles 01.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 421
  • Acrylic Bubbles 02.jpg
    Acrylic Bubbles 02.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 292
Hi guys,

Hope you can help, cos I'm being driven up the wall here!

I have read everything I can find about why this happens and tried everything.... According to everything I have read, my mix ratio is correct. Bead settles to correct shape after 3-4 secs, no excess monomer puddled around etc.

There is no dust around and I am pressing and guiding my bead with the flags of the brush.

I am posting a couple of pics here so you can see how bad it is! I am deliberatly practicing on clear tips so I can see how even my application is.

Please don't pick on my smile line :) that's the least of my worries at the mo!

Any help would be great, I've been doing about 20 tips a day for the last week and though my application is much more even the bubbles are no better or worse than 200 tips ago :cry:

Any help would be really appreciated...

Lisa x
Hi are you pressing your brush flat against the bottome of the dappen dish to dispel any bubbles in the brush?

Also how you store you products will affect their performance... to cold/hot the will not work very well together .... xx

Hi are you pressing your brush flat against the bottome of the dappen dish to dispel any bubbles in the brush?

Hi, yes I am Babs, I do see some bubbles coming out of the brush when I do this.

I'm going in and out of the monomer with slow deliberate actions so as not to create bubbles in it. Also, as far as my mix ratio goes I have tried working where I know for a fact I'm way too dry or way too wet, n the bubbles stay the same. I've tried a new brush, a new bottle of monomer and a new pot of powder n still no difference....... Aggggg!

My products are stored at room temperature in a dark cabinet.

Lisa x

Yes, you do have a bit of a bubble problem going on there.:hug:

My suggestions would be, not getting the bubbles out of your brush, patting instead of pressing.....patting whips the product up and fills it with air bubbles and possibly you're smoothing is too heavy, too heavy a touch here will also whip your product up.

I'm not sure what else to offer as regards your air bubbles, the suggestions so far are very good. BUT your smile line is fab!! Considering you haven't finished your Foundation course yet you have a lot to be proud of there.....:hug:

Izzidoll may well be able to help you, as a CND Educator she will see a lot of work at your stage and (hopefully) have a solution!!

Keep at it, the practice is paying off IMO.....

i used to have this problem. i was so keen [or should i say panic stricken]to get the product spread out on the nail before it set up, i was not letting it settle before pressing the bead out. try placing your bead on the nail and counting 1 2 3 before you touch it again. i found this helped a lot.

my mix ratio is correct.
Bead settles to correct shape after 3-4 secs, no excess monomer puddled around etc.

I am pressing and guiding my bead with the flags of the brush.

are you pressing your brush flat against the bottom of the dappen dish to dispel any bubbles in the brush?

yes I am Babs I do see some bubbles coming out of the brush when I do this.
I'm going in and out of the monomer with slow deliberate actions so as not to create bubbles in it.

Lisa x

My suggestions would be,
not getting the bubbles out of your brush,
patting instead of pressing.....patting whips the product up and fills it with air bubbles
possibly your smoothing is too heavy, too heavy a touch here will also whip your product up.

I would have said all of the above things I have quoted...and yet you seem to have an answer for them all and are doing everything right..

Bottom line though...bubbles are mainly caused by mix ratio...usually too wet a mix as the excessive shrinkage will cause them.

Are these bubbles appearing AFTER the product has hardened?

This is a sure sign that the product is too wet.....and I know you have said that your beads don't have any excess liquid around them when you place them...but that is only 1 of the symptoms....
But if your bead settles and flows immediately on placement...
or if the bead drops by half within 10 seconds and loses most of it's original shape...even without a ring of liquid IT IS TOO WET....

I am sure when you go over all the advice given by everyone you will soon solve your problem....Oh and BTW I think your smiles are coming on fine:)

Are these bubbles appearing AFTER the product has hardened?

Hi Isabel,

No, I can actually see the bubbles as I'm working. Once the product hardens there are no more bubbles there than when I was working it. Even as I place my bead on the nail, I can see the bubbles within the bead. I'm pretty sure my ratio is right. The bead holds it form and just flattens by bout 25% in about 10 secs if I leave it.

We should all be linked by webcam, cos I'm sure if you could see me working you would all go "Oh, that's what she's doing wrong!" and my problem would be solved instantly lol :)

Lisa x

We should all be linked by webcam, cos I'm sure if you could see me working you would all go "Oh, that's what she's doing wrong!" and my problem would be solved instantly lol :)

Lisa x

That would work!!...

But if you are even seeing the bubbles in the bead...it must be you are not getting all the air bubbles out of the brush before you pick up the bead...Are you sure you are not swirling that brush about in your liquid??
maybe it is how you are wiping your brush on the dappen dish...

I really wish I could see you pick up a bead... the cause would probably hit me instantly..

I had a student last week...all her beads were too dry...a line of powder at the edge of the bead on the brush....
I watched her pick up a bead and as she counted going, going, gone...she held her brush up in the air!!...So no liquid was actually flowing down into the bead!!!
As soon as she stopped that..her beads were perfect....
So I am sure it will be something simple like that....

Hi all!

I've just done another 5, taking on board everything you have said, and unfortunately they're still the same :grr:

Promise, promise, cross my heart, I'm not swirling my brush about in the liquid, lol!

I have noticed, though, I put my brush in monomer, press against bottom of dappen dish till no more bubbles, but then when I draw it against the side of the dappen dish loads of bubbles seem to come out, it's like frog spawn (best comparison I can come up with!) at the edge of my dappen dish......

Lisa x

I have noticed, though, I put my brush in monomer, press against bottom of dappen dish till no more bubbles, but then when I draw it against the side of the dappen dish loads of bubbles seem to come out, it's like frog spawn (best comparison I can come up with!) at the edge of my dappen dish......

Lisa x

When I first put my brush into my monomer I press against the bottom of te dappen dish until the bubbles stop..... then without taking it out and keeping it pressed I kind of rock it from side to side (twist the handle in my fingers so the brush turns round in the iquid) until there are no more bubbles from any angle...... Does that make sense??

I don't doubt your perseverence will crack this....and it is only 1 week until you see your Educator again...I am sure she will be able to help by watching you closely...Good Luck:hug:

Oh and I hope you still have that brush, monomer and powder you ditched...as I am sure it's not their fault!!!

A huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply :hug:

You're right Isabel, it's only a week till I see my educator. Last time we spoke she said that she could tell I was a perfectionist, but that I shouldn't beat myself up too much if things don't come together as soon as I would like!

I've given up my job and sold my home (gone back to parents at 35! :eek:) to pursue my dream (of 8 years) of being the best nail tech I can possibly be. So obviously this mean so much to me.

If after my final day next week, I still can't nail it, (sorry!) I'm gonna book a couple of hours 1-2-1 n as I am very determined, I will get there in the end.

Thanx for the couple of comments on my smiles, that cheered me up:hug:

(haven't ditched anything, they're in the back of my cupboard, so can be rescued once I work out what I'm doing wrong lol!)

Love Lisa x

I have had a thought, (i don't have many...lol) How are you picing up your bead?

I used to have this problem myself and it had nothing to do with dipping my brush in the monomer, it was the way i picked up my powder.

Do you drag your brush? Or do you do circles? Or do you gently dip your brush intot he powder to get your bead?

Everyone has to find what works for them, but i have found that dragging or twirling your brush makes bubbles before you have put it on the nail. If i gently patted my brush into the powder, then i wouldn;t have any to start with. Hope this helps.

I sort of drag the very tips of the flags through for about 1cm n then hold for a breath n take out.

Sorry, being a bit thick here, but what do you mean you pat it in? Do you mean, you just put your brush in, leave it, then take it out?:confused:

Lisa x

I was having the same problem and was going nuts! When I moved to a larger brush and pressed by brush into the powder instead of dragging it helped tremendously!

I sort of drag the very tips of the flags through for about 1cm n then hold for a breath n take out.

Sorry, being a bit thick here, but what do you mean you pat it in? Do you mean, you just put your brush in, leave it, then take it out?:confused:

Lisa x

I dip my brush into my powder briefly and sometimes re-dip shortly afterwards. I don't leave my brush dipped for long or i would pick up too much. Its one of these things better demo'd than explained, but i am trying.:o

I just think draging your brush or twirling can cause bubbles. Hope this helps.

Thank you all so much for all your help n suggestions guys!

I have tried every one of your tips n it honestly doesn't make any difference :cry:

I have sat today and done 35 tips!!!! I have used a combination of different tips, brushes, powders, ratios n methods of picking up powder. My next option is going to shop n buying the biggest bottle of wine to drown my sorrows in :irked:

Seriously I have been in tears of sheer frustration today, so I've decided I'm not gonna worry about it anymore till I see my educator on Tue. I've convinced myself that it has to be something soooo simple that as soon as someone actually sees me do it, there will be a ureka moment (I hope!).

I'm just gonna concentrate on all other aspects (prep, tipping, smiles, finishing, theory work etc.) for the next few days instead of concentrating on this problem. Then hopefully get it sorted in class next week.

Once again thank you all so much for your time and a huge :hug: to you all!

Lisa x

I too get a lot of bubbles and it's frustrating, I use flash silica star nail uv cured products. I have to use this dryer than your tradional acrylics but still to no avail working wet or dry, those darned bubbles. Would love to hear how you get on, good luck!

aj

Latest posts

Back