Disclosing new features - Please revisit!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
In our continual quest to keep SalonGeek a spamless environment, we have implemented a couple of new features that we hope will enhance your geeking experience.

Rules n regs

We have promoted the Geek Commandments from an Article to its own full fledged page, updated with the latest revisions to the rules of conduct on the site. Users are now required to accept these conditions before participating on the site.

Full disclosure

There are a lot of people that participate on SalonGeek that sell products and/or services to our industry (educators, company reps, designers, etc...). These members are an important and integral part of the SalonGeek community as they are often some of the best sources of information regarding the products/companies they represent.

There are now a couple of options available when editing your profile to flag that you are indeed someone that services our industry. When a member checks this box, a golden asterisks in the footer of their posts that shows they provide services to our industry. You can then view their profile to read the specifics.

Members that should disclose this information and choose not to will be in violation of the site rules.

As ever, nJoy and happy Geeking!

Nice! I've just ticked my agreement, good change Sam :wink2:

Salon Geek rules are written in such a clever way, I actually WANT to read then cause they are so funny!

Have checked my box, Thoust shall be a good geek :)

Oh good so thats what that was all about!

I thought i had done something wrong and was being warned/told off! lol

This is a great change!

fantastic change of rules :biggrin: and really needed. My tag/handle has always been the company name and i have never tried to disguise that fact unlike so many others on here:rolleyes: well done Sam and the mods

I totally agree... can't wait to see all of those little orange asterisks appearing on posts/profiles!!! :D

I have done, I have now got a golden little asterix. Cool feature Samuel, clever, I must say xxxx

awesome!
Great idea, to oblige members to read the rules. OR at the very least, consent to them.

:hug:

Just one question... the yellow asterix, I assume is only for Educators and Distributors?

Not for average techs like myself?

Another great idea Sam ... let's hope it helps to keep the habitual spammers under control too!

Just one question... the yellow asterix, I assume is only for Educators and Distributors?

Not for average techs like myself?
It's designed to highlight that the poster may have financial interest in the content they are publishing. While most that participate are fair and balanced, some... Er... Are not. Hopefully it will at least work as a flag for less suspecting readers that the poster may have a bias in the content they are publishing.

I may make it so you can see what products and/or service they provide by hovering over the asterisk, but sort of ran out of time on that one.

Awwww brilliant idea!

Helps to find educators too, for those in need.

Great work as usual, Sam!!:Love:

I've just logged on after being offline for a few days and I love when I come back and something new has happened... this is such a genius idea!! :biggrin:

Great new feature

Hi Sam is every member getting the new message to log in and add the asterisk and change there profile settings if they are trade/ distributors trainers or just the ones you already know about.
obviously its going to take a month or so for every trainer and rep or distributor (any one with a financial interest in the recommendations they make) to add the axterisk as they log on.
Hopefully the asterisk will have a double use .. one to let the Member reading the post know that that the writer with the asterisk possibly has a financial interest in the posting. but also to let them know that the Member with the asterisk is also a seasoned professional who can offer good sound advice.

Every member who visits the site from the time Sam posted this thread, will be prompted to accept the new rules before continuing to use the site. We obviously need to give people a bit of time to log in before sending a gentle reminder to disclose. People who have accepted the rules but do not disclose after reminders may find themselves on the end of a ban, as per the rules which they have accepted.

um, what's happened to sigs, please?

um, what's happened to sigs, please?

Sigs - as in signatures?

They disappeared ages ago when the layout of the site changed - they are still viewable via the profile.

Latest posts

Back