Do we want more 'Nails only' days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do we want more 'Nails only' days

• Never...its not what I come here for

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Love the occasional 'Nails only' day.

Votes: 32 22.5%
  • Once a month ...first Monday?

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Once a week...every Monday?

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Every day should be 'Nails Only' day

Votes: 38 26.8%

• Total voters
I voted for every day - yeay ! Today has been a pleasure.

I didn't choose any of the options.

Everyday when I log on, I go first to Main, then to Nail Art, and lastly to Chit-chat. I go back and forth.
I chat about nails every day. Several times a day.
Then I get on MSN Messenger and discuss nails more with techie pals.
So to be told that on a specific day I 'should not' post in chit chat...rubs me the wrong way. Yes, it's only ONE day, but being told where and what I should post.....
I'm an adult, I do know the purpose of this site. It's the reason I'm here.
I do appreciate that on 'nails-only' days there 'seems' to be more posts than usual on the main.
Instead of saying 'nails only day' and deterring people from chit chat, encourage posting of nail-related threads by offering rewards for thread of the week or similar such as 'so many geekmolians' for best thread.
I love the new threads and new topics, but I honestly struggle to think up something sometimes.

Anyway, love nail only days, just dont like being told what to do LOL Kinda ornery like that :wink2:

Victoria .. I like you and enjoy your posts but I really think sometimes you should lighten up babe!! It's only a suggestion to get back to basics and what this site is all about ... many of us could care less about big brother or boob jobs etc. and I rarely if ever even look at chit chat, but not to post when you could have contributed just because you think someone is telling you what to do is more than ornery love ... it's cutting off your nose to spite your face!!

I say 3 cheers to Jack for initiating today which I think has been a huge success and I think we have all enjoyed it ... haven't we?

Victoria,

I think you are being rather too negative. Nobody is telling you what to do - they are just suggesting. Surely it is a positive thing to encourage more nail-related threads rather than the usual inundation of chit-chat. Why ask for rewards for posting interesting threads - that is not an adults mentality. I too find it hard to think of interesting subjects for threads but I try that bit harder when it is nails only days. Adds to the fun.

WHOA:eek:
Not negative. I think the site is great! I didn't say anyone told me what to do. I said "should not" meaning it was suggested. I dont argue that it's a good idea.
I think it goes back to what has been argued before: if people object to 'chit-chat', then remove the board.
As for rewarding people for interesting or fantastic threads being immature, then I guess gifts purchased with geekmolians is immature as well and so are rep points as they are also 'rewards' in their own way.

I just think that those that contribute such great threads should get some kind of thank you in addition to rep-points. I for one appreciate all that I learn here. I appreciate it greatly. That's why I think this way.

PS: I guess just sometimes what I'm meaning to say comes out all wrong, so sorry anyway.

When we started this site ... those of you who remember ... it was nails only day every day.
Of course I answered every day!

When I joined this site 2 years ago the focus really was on nails, with a bit of chit chat thrown in, very much like today. It was that focus and dedication to nail threads that really stirred up my passion for this wonderful industry we are in. I feel today has been like those old days, and it has really got me pumping it up again.

Sorry but I think the site has been mega boring lately, today has been just how it should be IMO. But I think the site reflects how the industry has changed over the years too. It seems many people see nails as a way to earn a bit of pin money and fit it around their family. Maybe I have this wrong, but we are in a service industry and we should be at a client's beck and call, because if you aren't able to fit your client in when they want then someone else sure as hell will.

For anyone who has found today boring and would like to go back to all the chit chat then I ask you this, have you really got the passion to be a good tech? and is this really the site you should be on if you haven't found today truly motivating? ... ooo errr nothing like ending on a bit of controversy there Sas!!!!!

:)
I voted for Once a week nail days...

I have learned soooo much from this site, and hope to be able to contribute in the future..

Sincerely;

The Nail Fairy:hug:

When we started this site ... those of you who remember ... it was nails only day every day.
It sure was, and I think peeps thought a little harder about how they posted back then too.

I do the odd bit of chit chat myself, & I dont see anything wrong with having a chat section but I sometimes feel that as the majority of us here are women, at times it can get a little too personal and also a little too 'girly'.
I notice its generally those that have never known the site before the 'chat' came along that always say 'if you dont like the chat section, dont read it' but I dont think its that clear cut. The tone of the board changed as a whole since everyone became a lot more personal in chat and that tone has spilled over into the professional part of the site too.
Today has been a breath of fresh air & Id like to see a nails only day, everyday but, I dont think that will ever happen now so, at the very least Id love to see one day a month where the site gets back to its roots and everyone respects that by posting nothing but nails.
Thanks Jac for getting us all back to what we came together for in the first place ... rep points on their way mate! :hug:

Just to be thought provoking:

If you were on a train in a crowded carriage with people you did not know but you had something in common with - you were on the same train - would you want to be discussing EXTREMELY personal details - hmm.

I would be quite happy to discuss the merits of how comfortable the train was and the merits of traveling by train because that is what we have in common LOL.

On the internet we can be whoever we want to be, that is why the Nails only days are so successful as it is our common bond.

Just to be thought provoking:

If you were on a train in a crowded carriage with people you did not know but you had something in common with - you were on the same train - would you want to be discussing EXTREMELY personal details - hmm.

I have friends, never mind strangers on a train, that I wouldn't want to discuss some of subjects I've seen on here, with!

That said, it may be the impersonal-ness of it all that makes people 'open up' a bit more.

I know its been said don't log onto chit chat, but its there on the home page for us all to see too!

As someone who is fairly new to nails, I always take a strong interest in "main" first and foremost, especially when you have such experienced nail techs going there to give really helpful and knowledgable advice. That's not to say I ignore chit chat and others - I've also started to take a real interest in art too. A nail only day though, for me, is def a good idea- I voted once a month to balance it out for everyone.

I voted once a week...I have truly enjoyed all the nail topics today, have not been able to respond to all, but truly enjoyed reading and learning!! Feels like it did when I first joined the site.

I think we all agree that threads like "Which shoe did you put on first today?" gets a tad boring as the majority don't care which one you put on long as you put both of them on at some point!! :lol:

Cheers!! Here's to more to nails only days!!

Oh!...I actually voted for once every so often!!!!
What!!!....I hear you say....has she gone off nails??????

I am as passionate about nails as ever...and that is the one and only reason I come on to this site.....and I am on here most days...and I mostly post about nails...

But occasionally I post in chit chat as that is a part of the community feel on here...getting to know my fellow geeks...the shy ones, the outspoken ones and the downright flaky ones ( Lotus where are you???)

But NAILS are why I am here.......and that is why we should all be here.....Nails only days are great!! (thanks Jac)....but every day is a Nail day for me...but every so often an official one is a great reminder to new geeks who get caught up in BB, X factor & gossipy threads that Nails is what we are all about!!

To make an official one too often would kind of say that these were the only Nails days and the rest of the time is chit chat......

So what we want every day is a good balance of chat and NAILS, NAILS, NAILS......and every so often after an influx of newbies a day like this to show how cool and informative this site can be.

So I think this means I am with you Victoria....!!....but in a more chilled and lightened up way!! he he.........:hug:

I am as passionate about nails as ever...and that is the one and only reason I come on to this site.....and I am on here most days...and I mostly post about nails...

But occasionally I post in chit chat as that is a part of the community feel on here...getting to know my fellow geeks...the shy ones, the outspoken ones and the downright flaky ones ( Lotus where are you???)

But NAILS are why I am here.......and that is why we should all be here.....Nails only days are great!! (thanks Jac)....but every day is a Nail day for me...but every so often an official one is a great reminder to new geeks who get caught up in BB, X factor & gossipy threads that Nails is what we are all about!!

To make an official one too often would kind of say that these were the only Nails days and the rest of the time is chit chat......

So what we want every day is a good balance of chat and NAILS, NAILS, NAILS......and every so often after an influx of newbies a day like this to show how cool and informative this site can be.

So I think this means I am with you Victoria....!!....but in a more chilled and lightened up way!! he he.........:hug:

who you calling flaky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao!! actually whats that mean??? is it a compliment or not lol???

Thanks for saying it better than I did! I didn't mean to come across as negative as I do appreciate these days FOR SURE!
:hug:

Hi there

Agree with Izzidoll and Victoria...
Every day is a nail day!
I cant say I've read every post since the site started!! Theres still more to see & more comming everyday.The posts we read are our choice...Don't go to it if you dont want to read it.
At times the way some people come across in response to others posts is more concerning than the post itself.
The pros & cons could be argued for days.........If things aren't acceptable remove the problem
Although its been said, a LARGE majority of people want chit chat..
If its there it will be used.

XX J XX

I enjoyed "Nails Only Day" heaps but it made me think.

How come in the past few weeks we havent seen all these new and interesting threads and just because we call it "Nails Only Day" all of a sudden, Geeks can think up some wonderful ones?

I dont get it, we should be able to do that on normal days too. Hows about we dont even worry about when or if we have special days, just remember to do what we did today, all the time? Does that make sense cos I just woke up.:rolleyes:

i voted once a week.

I like a bit of chit chat mixed in with the nails, yes some of its dross but i just click onto the next thread thats of interest. :wink2:

Enjoyed today i think we've all racked our brains for new threads, dont think you could do that 'every' day !!!

AMb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

YAWN !!! Why does it really matter? Why not just go to the forum you are interested in? Why make people feel uncomfortable for a day that have something other than nails to discuss?

I would love for this site to be all about nails, but I do appreciate peeps need for a bit of chit- chat. It's very rare that I read anything in chit-chat, I'm here for the nails!!! I do get very disappointed when I get on & there are hundreds of new posts, but not many of them are in main.
I voted for nails only day once a month, my reason being that I think having it once a month people take the effort to really think about a good main thread to start.
I also think the influx in the main forum then has a follow on effect for the next few days.

Hey geeks

Well 'Nails Only' day today seems to be thoroughly supported and approved of and there has been talk of it becoming a more regular thing.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many of us want it or not, and how regularly, if we do?

I've added a poll for your choices...
i voted for once a month..its a wonderful idea..it will keep the site proffesional and keep us nailaholics happy. IMO having this day will make my decision to renew my premmie status easy..i dont want to pay to read mostly chit chat threads

YAWN !!! Why does it really matter? Why not just go to the forum you are interested in? Why make people feel uncomfortable for a day that have something other than nails to discuss?

Forgive me but this is " The nail geek " isn't it ? First and foremost a nail forum ?

If someone has something other than nails to discuss,chit chat or their journal is the place to put it !

By asking for a nails only day,i honestly can not see how this would make anyone feel uncomfortable.

It is not an order,but simply a request and peeps on here are mainly nail techs,therefore we have a shared passion,nails !

Jmo but i can not understand why someone with no interest in nails would join a nail forum,maybe a chat room would be better suited ?

Of course i post in chit chat,it's a great way to get to know geeks and ask/give advise,but on nails only day i dived in head first and loved every minuite of it !

Latest posts

Back