do you cover hair when spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampy

Reaction score
By this I mean, do you cover your clients hair (on their head!) when spray tanning? I always get mine to wear a towelling hair band but it occured to me yesterday that maybe hair should be covered, especially if blonde/highlighted. Anyone ever had any problems with it 'staining' hair?x

Hi,
I use those disposable stretchy hats with every client client.hth

Funnily enough i covered the first lady ever yesterday, but that was becasue she was white blonde.....the lightest hair you can imagine, and she asked me to as her hair is really porous. I did it not because i felt I would get her hair, but because it clearly made her more comfortable

Otherwise, i've never had a problem at all.....I never get any solution in the hairline, and considering how easy it washes out of sheets, clothes etc, presume it would just wash out of most hair, if the tiniest bit ever strayed.

All that said, I mostly use an airbrush, so have very fine control, but never had issues when i have used my spraygun.

generally speaking and if you are carefull there is no real need for hair protection...

I suspect offering hair caps is more about making the customer feel better and to keep longer hair off the shoulders than it is to protect the hair itself...

Also just is perhaps better for the customer to wear a cap... makes you look as if you are providing that bit of extra protection ...I guess getting some solution on the hair could be seen by some customers as being a little inconveniant.

Just a tip and from my own problem..watch out for grey hair..I suppose like dead skin grey hair can sometimes grab the DHA and slightly stain the hair.

I offer hair protection to every client and most use it. I occationally get a client with darker hair that has it put up in a ponytail and they sometimes refuse.. but I think it protects the hair from feeling sticky and as the client doesnt shower until the next day or later the same day it just give an added protection for them.

we use caps aswell in the salon.

I offer hair protection to every client and some do and some dont.

I think its all down to personal preference and would always ask someone and then its up to them. If they have the facts and refuse one its down to them, but never had a problem.

I offer to everyone a disposable hair cap as I have had blonde clients hair staining they are not expensive but prevent staining and like colin said it keeps longer haired clients it keeps there hair off there neck and shoulders

Thanks for all your replies, think I will invest in some just so that the client has the option! Have seen some in Ellisons, £6.65 for 50, cheaper than paying for someone's new highlights! x

I offer hair protection too, as when you are doing the face I find you cant be sure that your not tanning the hair. I invested in the stretchy hair bands..reason being I found if I client had a small head or not much hair..the whole head cap I was using at the time, would slip forward...

I feel its good practice to offer this extra protection. Tantrick have these really brill ones that pre-folded into pleated strips and are brill to store (£11.75 inc vat for 100).

i dont cover the hair atall!!
i was taught that i didnt need to!!
i did ask about this on my course, and my model had bleach blonde hair,
she didnt have any problem atall, as i felt the air blowing from the gun, blew any hair out of the way, and i was careful not to spray over the hair

do you think i should start covering the hair for clients??
to be honest do you think they would prefer to??

I only use hats if the client has bleached blonde hair, if they are dark then I dont worry.

I use the mob caps, cheese couner stylee for blonde clients, certainly makes them feel better that their locks won't be affected by the solution. Hair is keratin and porous and like natural nails will absorb the solution so better to be safe than sorry!

I spray tanned my son for his role in the school play and I used an aerosol type spray, not my usual machine, in the shower at home, his toe nails are still growing out the staining due to overspray!

One word of warning though when using these caps from an embarassing experience of my own, make sure the hairline is exposed.....I tanned a lady and the cap was slightly over the hairline and she ended up with a 2mm white line just below the hairline.....she came back later that day and I managed to correct it but that one always sticks in my mind!

maybe id better get some then???
my model had bleached hair and she was fine
but better safe than sorry ,
i will get some in!!
thanks x

I always paint the nails with cuticle oil to prevent staining too :green:

I always paint the nails with cuticle oil to prevent staining too :green:
It was my boy and it was quite funny, obviously wouldn't be so flippant with a natural nailed client.....although I did have a similar thing with my regular man client....all my ladies have polish so it isn't an issue, he has clear top coat every time now!

I offer caps to every client, some like to use them and some don't

xx

I always use them, it hold hair off the ears and back of the neck, I do make sure it is off the hairline slightly so avoiding a white line (as Cathie said).

Mine are disposable ones from Tantrick.

Latest posts

Back