Do you have a short / long term Career Plan ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~shelley~

Reaction score
Do you have a Short or long-term plan as to where you want your career to go?

Do you set yourself goals? for eg. do you plan to do X amount of training in a year? or earn X amount in a month?

Do you write it down? or does it float around in your head?

If you do have goals etc, have you reached them? do you believe you will?

I was just thinking to myself I am gonna start planning more - getting dates for training & actually booking the courses.
Ive started saving up as I am interested in joining Cuticles.
Stock taking more often.
Making sure I advertise more & try to get most of my appoinment slots filled.

My huge long-term goal is to open a salon when jim leaves the army in 12 years I will be 36 & I know its ages away but its still a goal.

I am interested to hear about everyone elses goals and career plans :hug:

great thread shelley!!
just to let you know im 35 now, and i wish i had the years, that you have on me, good luck with your plans and dont ever give up on them, i wish you all the luck xxxxxxxxxxx

thanks hun, you have done fab though - being a manager of a salon is an amazing achievment imo xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ive achieved sooo many goals so far in my wee career....i i be came an educator,. ive got the salon, won a comp........

short term..... i guess at the mo it getting my salon more productive and getting another tech in thats full time .... as at pressent im the only full time tech ive got... bless tara and cathie.... i love weekends when im nt on my tod :hug:

..... my next comp goal will be excel (id like to place or get better than top 5 for sculpts in div 3) ........ as im nt going to EC2 and am working GMEX .... but we will see what happens and if i can ever find a model that can spare the time........lol

id love to expand my salon one day... and maybe get more Polished's up and running.......... but then again..... i love doing education and would also .... one day hope to make international .... please note i said one day ive got a long way to go and im sure sooo many more classes with Antony before then!.......lol

Jess
xox

ps.... massive goal would also be get out of debt and actually earn some money.........lol

I havent any career plans I like what i'm doing at the moment.I am impulsive and have been on a few college courses learning allsorts from english to egyptian history. I started out training as a science teacher when I left school but did hairdressing instead!! I enjoy doing new things and visiting new places.I am going to new york hopefully next year and am thinking of china in the near future.My brain starts going dead after a while and I want to learn everything!

Well ive only been qualified 9wk and working 5wk for myself so what little i do earn at the mo is going into building my stock up, not taking a wage yet just spending the money on what i need for my work, when i start earning i would like to do all of the courses available with Creative and work my way up to been an educator for Creative, there hows that for a goal :wink2: ,god knows how long this will take, i am 35 now so maybe when im around 70 lol i will achieve all this :hug: .

Well ive only been qualified 9wk and working 5wk for myself so what little i do earn at the mo is going into building my stock up, not taking a wage yet just spending the money on what i need for my work, when i start earning i would like to do all of the courses available with Creative and work my way up to been an educator for Creative, there hows that for a goal :wink2: ,god knows how long this will take, i am 35 now so maybe when im around 70 lol i will achieve all this :hug: .
now that is a goal!! but go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmm i wonder how long it will take in reality??? :hug:

Massive goal would also be get out of debt and actually earn some money.........lol

This is my goal too lol!!!

Short term goals are: -
Get my finger out and attain my l&p masters this year.
Next year to attain my brisa gel masters, spa mani and pedi masters.
To be able to do a fab set of enhancements in less than 90 mins.

Long term goal:
To open my own salon and have both my daughters working along side :)

I do have goals, both short term and long term.

I've got quite a few training courses I want to do this year. I qualified in beauty a long time (1989) and feel like a few refresher courses along the beauty route are required. Things change so much in this industry, and I feel training is one of the best ways to keep up to date with it.

I'm not sure about long term goals. I'd like to think that I'll be in a successful business and have many happy clients.

My one long term goal would be to be able to produce a nail like Geeg on the back of the Nail Class book - will I achieve it? I'm not so sure :lol:!!!!!

Great thread Shelley!

For me, short term I would have to say to do a beautiful set within 2 hours (still takes me 3 at the moment), and to be so good everyone wants me to do their nails!

Long term, (shhhh, don't tell me boss this one!) to have such demand, that all I do it nails nails nails, and of course to become an educator for Creative - my educators at Salisbury, Michelle and Karen were so inspirational, flippin wish I was a 10th as good!:hug:

Well, usually I have the next 5 yrs planned out, but having fallen somewhat into the whole beauty industry thing I've decided to take things one step at a time and would like to pass NVQ 2 June 07, complete my creative foundation in November 06 and see where things take me for a change.

I have 2 small children (under school age) so I think I'll try and pack in a few pieces of training until Lucas finally starts school in Sep 08. In between then and now, I'm going to concerntrate on training, leanring as much as I can and possibly start small - though aim big in the long term. At the end of the day I'm still only 26yrs and hopefully have a long and fullfilling career ahead of me :green: .

I suppose dreams more than plans at this stage. I would like to train in all aspects of hair and beauty and offer a one stop bridal/party package of some sort. I got married in June and had to go to 3 different places for hair nails and makeup it was a nightmare, I think there maybe a bit of a market for it where I am as we are a bit behind other places.

Short term I want to pass my foundation course, build up some clients for my home salon and earn enough money from nails to give up my "other" job so I can do more nails

I have recently done a business plan as I had to go to my bank to open accounts ect, and it was great as it really got me "seeing" what it is going to take to achieve my goals. I knew where I wanted to go but hadnt really thought about how I was going to get there! It was worth doing as it has focused me. I now write my (home) salon takings down, see what promos work and the results of them, keep my eye on prices I am paying for salon essentials, basically all the stuff I should have been doing anyway, lol! It also made me appreciate how far I had come. My "plan" has a rough estimate of a term of 5 years, but that is also to do with the ages of my boys! I would advise anyone, especially who has ambition, to do a business plan of some sort. Its a great tool.:)

I would like to reach the point were I could do a set of nails that I was really thrilled with (as well as my client) and that they were all going to stay on.

Long term - not really that different, just to be known as the best tech around here. I've got a long way to go and an awful lot to learn . I just wish I had started at 20

Great Thread Shelley

I Decided To Really Focus My Energy On My Business These Last Few Weeks I Been Doing Leaflet Drops - I Researched Advertising In Various Local Mags Etc - Decided To Run 2 Ads (nov And Dec) Hoping To Get Xmas Party Nails Etc - Had As Few Extra Clients Too, Really Trying To Promote Myself.
At The Weekend - I Did My Accounts (still Not Making A Profit Yet) This Is What Motivated Me I Think! I Also Done A Stock Take - So I Know I Dont Need To Buy Anything (only A New Brush Head To Keep As A Spare Just Incase) Really Gonna Knuckle Down And Work Hard Promoting And Advertising Till Xmas.
Was Talking To My Mum Today About Renting A Space - Thing With Being Mobile Is Working On Curved Tables (u Have To Work At Funy Angles Etc) So That Is A Goal 4 Next Year - I Need To Expand My Client Base First.

ALSO WOULD LIKE TO DO MY MASTERS NEXT YEAR

Ps - No Dont Write It Down (no Time) Its All In My Head!!!
Thats This Weekends Job! Plus By Doing All This Business Stuff Stops Me Going Out And Spending Money I Aint Got Xxx

In the short term I want to really focus on training now, to get really confident in everything Im doing. Long term, when the kids are older and i have more time to commit I would like to have a large log cabin, work full time, and employ a part time therapist to help out. I always thought i would like a slon one day, but tbh i dont think i would want the hassle, so I will be happy just being able to work form home full time.

As you can see form my post - I put my life on hold for nails but it didnt feel that way. I'm not a normal 24 yr old going out, having nice clothes (got great uniforms tho!) so short term I long for these things.
As you know long term I'd like to teach and help people find their vocation, hopefully go to schools and tell kids how they can enter the industry and what options they have.

i have a five year plan
at the end of the 5 years the goal is ...my own salon
during the five years its about improving my skills to the maximum and before opening a salon i want to be at the highest level reguarding my nail skills as i can possibly be.
i want more experience under my belt within the industry so when i do open a salon i can offer a top notch service and not be in the "£15 with free nail art" sector.
so its skillbuilding courses and climbing up to be at a master level...five years may seem a long time but i dont want to go into the opening of a salon without good educational knowledge and practical abilities.

My short term goals are to complete my beauty therapy course up to HND level and get a Saturday job at a local salon to gain experience. I hope to be AMAZING at all aspects of beauty. When I've completed my level 3 vtct nail enhancements , nailart/ repairs I hope to do a Creative conversion course in the Summer 07 before hopefully going back to college to continue to HNC/D. I hope to continue training in other beauty treatments throughout my career. Long term would be to leave college and work full time in a salon for a couple of years to gain experience and save money to go solo by setting up my own salon. That's me all typed out LOL :lol: Good thread, seeing what I hope for written down kind of makes look real.

Latest posts

Back