Do you think I should tell clients im a guy B4 they book?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseyboi

Reaction score
Hi Geekies,

Im after your valuble opinion agian:)

When I feel im ready I would like to convert one of our many bedrooms into a home salon (nails only) but the problem is I dont know if I should mention that im a guy in my adverts or when they call for an appointment. Its only me and the BF at home and my house is lovley and quite also have plenty of room for parking so thought clients would like to come to me for treatments for peace and quite.

DO YOU THINK IT MATTERS and WHAT WOULD YOUR REACTION BE????????

I wouldn't care in the slightest. But that doesn't mean other people wouldn't. I'd mention it, just so they know - if its a problem then their loss - they could have had a brill job done.

:)Well when u answer the phone to make appointments the clients will know ur a male!! I dont think it would matter to me personally, i was at a show lately with leighton Denny and the women loved him so i wouldnt see the prob since its only nails, if it were massage etc i would be abit iffy but thats the way i am xxx Hope it flies fr u xx

Maybe you could use part of your name in your business name, then peeps would already know before they ring you .....

To me it wouldnt matter at all, but i think its always nice to get a rough idea of the person you are meeting beforehand.

Champagne x

They'll be able to tell from your voice i would imagine :D

As long as you are professional your gender should be irrelevant hun x

well it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, but some people might be bothered (dont knw why , but people can be funny sometimes) so i think it deffo needs mentioning, now when you answer the phone surely they will know anyway, but on your website and maybe on your advertising it should mention it?

anyway whereabouts in blackpool are you? its only 40 mins from me, i'd come for peace and quiet any day lol

xx

Maybe you could use part of your name in your business name, then peeps would already know before they ring you .....

To me it wouldnt matter at all, but i think its always nice to get a rough idea of the person you are meeting beforehand.

Champagne x

LOL prob is my first name is Chase so not the most macho name in the world :lol:

Most of our male nail geeks are in salon,maybe they would be better to ask,Nailzoo i'm sure would be happy to advise you.

Like i said it shouldn't make a difference but i understand you wanting to forewarn them iykwim with them comming to your home salon x

well it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, but some people might be bothered (dont knw why , but people can be funny sometimes) so i think it deffo needs mentioning, now when you answer the phone surely they will know anyway, but on your website and maybe on your advertising it should mention it?

anyway whereabouts in blackpool are you? its only 40 mins from me, i'd come for peace and quiet any day lol

xx

I live in the centre of town & I sort of guessed a lot of you geeks would would'nt mind some paece n quite lol

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but some people may feel funny about coming into your home rather then a salon.
Can you not market yourself as a male tech, could it not be turned into your advantage?

I personally don't see why you should have to mention it...i don't have to mention i am a girl.

I personally don't see why you should have to mention it...i don't have to mention i am a girl.

I agree,but some people might be taken aback,and to be fore warned is to be fore armed :D

oddly enough 7.65% do care if it's a man, according to a poll on here.
and those that voted are professional.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/9625-nail-him.html
lord only knows what the general public think.

The best way to go Chase is to do great work and make them practically beg to see you.

The above figure to this day still disgusts me, I'd love to be able to put a "bigot block" on my videos.

Yeah, I'm upset, but every time I see a post in here saying "should i do men", or "mens massage" it makes me feel like (as a man) I'm supposed to be some kind of pervert or latent rapist.

Not all men get an erection on a mere touch and some therapists should get over themselves thinking this way.

Sure shyte happens, but if I was as biased to women as women are to men, then I wouldn't have a business.

Go for it Chase !!!!! and dump the bigots along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx for all your help and have decided not to let it bother me. As some of you guys said if clients have a prob with it then its their loss not mine. However I will consider putting it in small writing on any adverts jst incase anyone complains about it then I can point it out to em.

THANKYOU:hug:

I don't think anyone wants a surprise when they meet a client so when you book an appt I would make sure to use the word I as in "I'll need 10 minutes for a consultation before we begin." Then it's clear you will be performing the treatment. After that, if it's a problem, then they're the ones with the problem.

This is based on stereotype, but I think many women perceive men in the beauty undustry as being very passionate about it and it could certainly work to your advantage.

In the end it's the quality of treatment that will get them coming back.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out!

I really do not think that it matters at all........ but another twist to it would be rather than worry about it i would mention under your name "male nail Tech" or something of the sort... there are lots of amazing nail tech's out there but maybe not in Blackpool so you could turn it to your advantage and be a novelty...i have a male nail tech in my salon and the customers love him and his view on things... just my opinion...hth....

oddly enough 7.65% do care if it's a man, according to a poll on here.
and those that voted are professional.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/9625-nail-him.html
lord only knows what the general public think.

The best way to go Chase is to do great work and make them practically beg to see you.

The above figure to this day still disgusts me, I'd love to be able to put a "bigot block" on my videos.

Yeah, I'm upset, but every time I see a post in here saying "should i do men", or "mens massage" it makes me feel like (as a man) I'm supposed to be some kind of pervert or latent rapist.

Not all men get an erection on a mere touch and some therapists should get over themselves thinking this way.

Sure shyte happens, but if I was as biased to women as women are to men, then I wouldn't have a business.

Go for it Chase !!!!! and dump the bigots along the way.

Thanx Nailzoo Your so right. SOD EM :lol:

PS love your work and if I could manage to be a fraction as good as you I'd be a very happy techy lol

I would think that more people are interested in getting a great set of nails rather than the gender of the person who creates them. However, there will be women out there who will be nervous about going into your home with a man they don't know.

I think the best way to get around this is to build yourself a reputation for providing a fantastic nails and have them clammering for your services!!:green:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd love to have my nails done by a man, but then some would say i'm just a perv lol :lol::lol: (thats not the real reason btw)

I just think that women can work in a mans world and want respect for doing it and be seen as equal, then why not a man in a "womans" world (as beauty is often seen).

rachel x

I don't see why you should have to say.......male hairdressers don't feel the need to tell potential clients they are male.....and as others have said, when you take their calls they will know anyway.:)

Latest posts

Back