Do you wear rubber gloves, Safety glasses and a mask?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not the product that I have referred to as needing to ware the gloves. It is infections! To keep them from spreading to everyone in the free world. If for a min I thought the product was that nasty I doubt I would be in the nail biz.

I have had a few times that there was some lift that I nipped the larger part off and then filed the the rest down. But if I had filed all of it it might have been present for the client. And lets face it MMA can be nasty to soak off and to file! So If a client comes to me with MMA nails I will nip the lift off and let the crap grow out!

Being asthmatic would make me want to ware masks. But thats just me. :)

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/6244-phil-jaws-destruction.html

a great article from Mr Geek. Thought it might interest you :hug:

Kelly Swain, Anne Swains daughter told me never to wear contact lenses when working on nails, she did, against her mothers advise and the result is, she can't wear contacts anymore, she has scared her eyes and was lucky not to loose her site.
So if you are a contact lense wearer, you have now been warned:lol:
I don't wear the goggles, I do wear glasses and the thought of trying to juggle 2 sets of eye wear when I'm the clumbsyest cluts on the planet............. However I remember one of the geeks getting either acylic or a sliver of nail tip stuck on her eye, she had to go to hospital to have her eye flushed, so it's something to think about.
I wear gloves to wax and to tan, I've never tried to wear them for nails but on a busy day I have worn the finger wraps, to save the skin on my first finger, 5 or 6 sets of nails in one day and I find I've also filed the skin away.
Masks, I've seen them warn by some of the techs in the nss salon's, I can't say they are wrong to wear them, but my ladies liked to chat and I feel that the mask would get in the way of that. At my busyest I've often ended up with a lap full of filing dust at end of day, but I've always sprayed my work surface between clients, which damps down any dust as well as sanatising so I don't feel this is an issue, and I seem to recall a thread where the size of the filed particals was discused and if you hand file the particals are to large to pass into the lungs.
has that been of any help?:lol:

I don't use any of them.....

But I work from within my own portable oxygen tent, recycle the air every 30 secs and my salon is in an underground bunker.

Get my drift:)

Great to have you back Carl:hug::lol::lol:

When I first began doing nails, I don't remember what I was clipping or if it was when I was e-filing but a little piece of nail flew out and hit me in the eye, so I'm definetely pro-glasses lol.

As far as masks, the first woman I worked for was a nail tech for 20 + years, she only did acrylic and used an e-file and she got lung cancer. She did end up wearing a mask but I remember her telling everyone that the doctor had told her it was not to do with the filings, I remember her specifically saying the doctor said she'd have to have 'snorted it (the filing dust) like cocaine' for it to have that effect. The doctor said it was from having smoked 12 years prior - she had smoked for like 10 years). I have no idea if this is true or not but this is what the doctor told her.

I don't use any of them.....

But I work from within my own portable oxygen tent, recycle the air every 30 secs and my salon is in an underground bunker.

Get my drift:)

Yeah, but what do you know? ROFL!!!! :hug:

Defo wear latex gloves whilst doing pedicures.
i wear extra small gloves so they dont pee me off and get in the way.
Feet, you either love em or hate em:irked:

Defo wear latex gloves whilst doing pedicures.
i wear extra small gloves so they dont pee me off and get in the way.
Feet, you either love em or hate em:irked:
LOl true, true! I hate my mothers! EWWWWW

I wear disposible nitrile gloves when doing infills and backfills from start to finish apart from new sets, i wear them when finishing the enhancement.
I must have really sensative skin because even my thumb pad and index finger pad crack and bleed by the end of the day. Its worst when i use a new file and i use a new file for every backfill.

Clients do think its for hygiene reasons but it is not, it is a vanity thing so i just explain to them its to protect my own fingers and thumbs from filing abrasions and my own nails or my polish im wearing that day. One client did comment on how professional it looks.
They were a pain to wear at the begining but after a week of wearing them i got used to them, now i wont touch a file without them, it just dont feel right.
I wear purple ones and they are kinda funky looking. ;)

I wear a mask even when filing natural nails. I've found I'm very allergic to the odors and the dust.

I SHOULD wear my glasses more as a protection against dust as I find my contacts get very, very dry when I work. Again, probably the dust.

I would like to wear gloves, as I also get eczema when I work with resin, but I can't handle my brushes and instruments with them on.

Gotta invest in a good ventilation unit, but I've only been working a few months.

I wear gloves, goggles and mask when doing nails. I even wear it when doing chemical hair treatments.

I also do the hair of my girlfriends at home. When I do that, I always put a mask on her before starting the treatment.

I wear gloves for pedicures, right up to the massage & painting stage - gives me the opportunity to inspect the feet thoroughly before working, and to protect my nails from getting scratched to bits by the foot file. If I don't wear gloves I am also - despite scrubbing my hands well afterwards - convinced my hands smell of feet for the rest of the day! Love doing pedis though.

I don't wear goggles, but understand why people would. I have brilliant tip cutters that catch the tips as they're cut, which saves them potentially 'pinging' everywhere. I did once get resin in my eye, but that was when trying to change one of the bottles in a swanky bottle stand - needless to say, the bottle stand went in the bin!

As for masks, I wore one when I was pregnant, as my resin activator spray made me feel sick, which was not very helpful... I also keep them in to wear for those clients who choose to see me when I have a cold (or to wear when I arrive and my client has a cold, to avoid catching it). I don't like wearing them though - it gets far too warm in there!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I don't wear any and won't be considering it unless real evidence came out to say I should.
I don't use a drill, only file and sculpt with my brush so I use minimal product needed so I feel a mask is not needed. I am also getting clients how
come because they don't like to go somewhere where masks are used. I clean my station done after every client, and am careful not to touch anything I shouldn't. I wouldn't wear gloves as I inspect the hands and nail before each treatment and wouldn't be touching anyone with any signs of infection as I would turn them away.
so no, im not going to use any of those things.

I have never worn masks or gloves in all the years behind the table but I have always tried to work smart. Always had tip top ventilation, always tried to cultivate good working habits that minimize exposure to all the products I work with not just monomer liquid. I always use a hand sanitizer for both me and the clients religiously.

I do think glasses are a must however for all .. not necessarily safety glasses which are pretty ugly things at the best of times ... it is easy these days to buy a sassy pair of glasses with just clear glass and no prescription in them for the sake of the only 2 eyes you are ever going to have.

Too many times I have I have seen accidents of people transferring liquids and it splashing back up or burping adhesive bottles and a drop getting into the eye. Normal glasses frames don't hinder you or make you feel claustrophobic and they do add protection which I think everyone needs.

Latest posts

Back