Doug Schoon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Shed

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question about nail books. I have done various searches on here looking into which seem to be the most popular and I have come up with The Encyclopedia of Nails by Jackie Jefford and The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman, of which I have bought both. The third one that seems to be popular on here is Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon, is this right? However I can only find one that was published in 1996, is this right or has there been a newer edition or will there be in the near future that is worth waiting for?

Also I just want to check with you all that these three are the main three? Or have I missed a 'biggy'. I want to get them all to help me on my course, I don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks in advance for your replies, appreciate it x

yes the doug schoon one is the right edition, I was disappointed it was so old when I got mine but there is a new edition out in the new year (march i think but dont quote me on that lol). I would say go ahead and buy the old edition anyway as u will have read it many times by the time the new one comes out....it's a fab book...I am wondering how much extra/new stuff will be in the updated version???

Sorry Tracy to contradict you but I would say wait until the new edition comes out - sorry LOL.

I think in a recent Scratch magazine there was an article on the new DS book.

Hi Samoyed
Thanks for buying my book. Hope you find it useful.

I think Doug Schoon's book is out next month!!!! Hope so, can't wait. I h ave had his first one since it was published (even got it signed cos I was in US at the time!!) It is definately one to buy, such in depth info for true understanding. Get the new one!

Keep learning all you can
Marian
x

mum said:
Hi Samoyed
Thanks for buying my book. Hope you find it useful.
x
You're welcome! It came with such high appraisal and (even though I have only read some of it so far!) I must say I'm very glad I did buy it! I have learnt so much already.

I will wait for the new edition of Product Chemistry I think, hope it's release isn't too far away, I'm hopeless at waiting!!! LOL!

Thanks everyone for replying, glad I asked on here before buying the old edition.

P.S. I take it I haven't missed any important books of my list?

I would defo wait too if it released next month but in Scratch I thought it said March... no way could I wait that long when I want something to do with nails LOL...'nails' beat even shoes and handbags LOL :biggrin:

...can anyone tell me a web site where I can order Mum's new book (and Doug's when it comes out) that actually have titles in stock? I tried Amazon but no luck!

Thanks in advance.

Just checked...it's now in stock DOH!!

I have just got Marian Newmans new book and say that one is all you need. I also have the Encyclopedia of nails as well and do love both, so if you have both you really can't go wrong. I am also after Doug Schons new book, so will wait for it to come out.

I have looked at other books to do with nails and none of them compare to Marians or Dougs books so i would stick with them, they have everything you will possibly need to do with nails and the industry.

Samoyed said:
Hello, I have a quick question about nail books. I have done various searches on here looking into which seem to be the most popular and I have come up with The Encyclopedia of Nails by Jackie Jefford and The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman, of which I have bought both. The third one that seems to be popular on here is Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon, is this right? However I can only find one that was published in 1996, is this right or has there been a newer edition or will there be in the near future that is worth waiting for?

Also I just want to check with you all that these three are the main three? Or have I missed a 'biggy'. I want to get them all to help me on my course, I don't want to miss out on anything!

Thanks in advance for your replies, appreciate it x
Doug's new book will be available in March...he said it had twice as much information as his last book...so it would be thicker:biggrin: It should be available on Amazon.com or through your local distributor. If you want more info pm me and I will send you the links to several industry book publishers, and you can look through all the libraries:D

talented talons said:
I have just got Marian Newmans new book and say that one is all you need. I also have the Encyclopedia of nails as well and do love both, so if you have both you really can't go wrong. I am also after Doug Schons new book, so will wait for it to come out.

I have looked at other books to do with nails and none of them compare to Marians or Dougs books so i would stick with them, they have everything you will possibly need to do with nails and the industry.

Well thank you kindly Talented Talons! Glad you've found th ebook useful. :D :D :D

DAMN - i just bought doug's book at GMEX - have almost finished it. Wish i'd known about the new edition!

I do not think you will be disappointed for having read his first book first, if you see what I mean.

If I know Doug (and he has been a Friend for more than 15 years) I'm sure his second book is not just a copy of the first with a bit more added! His first book is wonderful, easy to understand good basic stuff and you will not come to any harm at all by reading it first. good preparation for number 2 I would say.

Sorry it has taken me so long to find this thread.

Doug has updated his briliant book on nail and product chemistry and his second edition is available by mailorder from March 2005.

He has kindly rewritten certain important chapters of this new edition for Scratch magazine and has given me a six-part series.

This began in october 2004 and offer 2 pages of his nail wizardry!

It will appear in
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
Febraury 2005
March 2005

The aim is that you will be so hooked you wil have to buy the book itself to get deeper into the subject matter.
Doug Schoon is an incredible expert in the matter of R&D, product manufacture and make-up and all things scientifically-based relating to the nail industry.

His first edition is a bible not a book. All nail techs should read this fantastic volume regardless of product loyalty - as this is about the science of what you do.

However, as a new one is on the horizon I suggest you read it in Scratch and order a copy via mailorder to make sure you get a copy in March.

All the details are available in the articles

Scratch subs hotline - 0208 647 3313 or call Alex Fox to order a free sample on 01763 261 091

hapy reading!

Alex Fox
:D

Hiya,

I am just waiting for my delivery of books, i am a distributor for The Complete Nail Technician II Edition and Nail Structure & Product Chemistry (which is not out till fe/march 05)

Both these books are invaluable and i coulnt live without them

Amanda

OOh, lily could you reserve books as you distribute them?? If so could you reserve one for me, Doug Schoons book that is? Let me know nearer the time when they are due out, thanks Hun.

I can't wait!!! Yay!
I have both books and they have been my bible in the last couple of years. Anything I wasn't sure of was in there.
I'm sure the new edition will be fantastic.
S.xx

OOOH, I didn't expect this many replies, thank-you everyone, it really is appreciated!

So I now know his book is out in March, I'll have to pre-order myself a copy to make sure I get it in March, I know how difficult it can be!

Latest posts

Back