ear candles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that point really matter if Candles give people comfort or some psychosomatic
benefit from the process? Well IMHO, this is where professionalism comes into play. Would it be wrong of me to manufacture, sell and promote a new type of base coat that claimed to let the nail Breathe even though it is scientifically proven that would be impossible and completely unwarranted? Would it matter if I profited from this product as it surely wouldn't hurt anyone and may make clients feel 'better' about their nail services? I would hope that you would agree, it would be very unprofessional of me to create, promote and sell something on totally untrue claims.

Just thought I would re-quote my earlier post in hopes that its point will either help calrify some of the confusion or at least spark a reply that could justify a treatment that holds no factual benefit.

I thought the benefits had already been beautifully illustrated throughout this thread.

I suppose all of the treatments that I do have the same basis, I can't 'prove' said benefits of massage, reiki, crystal therapy, ear candles, auricular acupuncture, body wraps, facials, ayurvedic therapies, reflexology, etc, etc.

I don't advertise my treatments as cures, I offer my services, explain a little of what the treatment entails, and do not mention any specific health benefits.

I am not hung-up on scientifically proven treatments, and I watched the documentary on reflexology with interest, and knew that it wasn't going to have any scientific proof behind it, but then again I wasn't taught that it was scientifically proven to work.

I like what I do, nay, LOVE what I do. I think my enthusiasm and my professionalism shines through and thats why my clients re-book, and recommend me to friends and family.

So hey-ho, glad to see the thread still open, been lovely to read peoples comments and experiences.

If this thread does get closed, it will be closed for endorsing silly, proven misleading and dangerous activities.

The site owner disapproves of this practice and the most respected man in our industry disapproves, (yet you choose to challenge both of them).

I wanted this thread to remain open to prove certain people wrong, but when proven otherwise by very well respected people, .... then it should be closed and driven back into the underground where it belongs.

I do not challenge anyone. I did not know who Doug was and as he had only posted 15 times previously have not built up a relationship with him. Am I supposed to accept everything people say blindly?
How have I insulted the site owner?

Last edited by a moderator:
The facts of the matter are that here in the Uk the sale and use of these devices are completly legitimate.Which is the country the poster resides in and would presumably undertake this service.

It is therefore up to those that either claim they do or feel they derive a benifit from their usage to decide for themselves...."you can take a horse to water but you cant force it to drink".

science...well they definatley haven't always been right now have they..the world is flat right??

It would be intresting to learn from those that offer this service if they have customers who return after an initial treatment or is it generally a one off hit and you never see them again ???.

Caps lock on... here we go...

CAN WE PLEASE KEEP PERSONAL REMARKS TO OURSELVES, THEY'RE NOT HELPING MATTERS AND HAVE BEEN/WILL BE EDITED OUT OF POSTS.

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD OPEN PLEASE AND SHOW RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER (REGARDLESS OF OUR PERSONAL OPINIONS!)

(yes, that was 'shouting', hopefully everyone heard?)

Happy Geeking :D

CAN WE PLEASE KEEP PERSONAL REMARKS TO OURSELVES, THEY'RE NOT HELPING MATTERS AND HAVE BEEN/WILL BE EDITED OUT OF POSTS.

LET'S KEEP THIS THREAD OPEN PLEASE AND SHOW RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER (REGARDLESS OF OUR PERSONAL OPINIONS!)

Amen to that !!!!

Well you know what they say never discuss politics,religion or ear candles.:)

Well you know what they say never discuss politics,religion or ear candles.:)

PMSL....now that is funny....:lol::lol::lol:

Amen to THAT!!!!!!!

Hear hear, thank you x

I have to add my bit in here aswell, I have never felt as though people who offer Ear Candling as a treatment, force it on me or proclaim that it can do such things as cure the deaf, etc.
Its an alternative therapy............

For gods sake guys, you can quote and quote until you are blue in the face, but if there are people who are sure it works for them and they are happy, then why bother. Who cares if there are articles saying it is bogus, blah blah blah, if it works for some, leave them carry on!

I honestly feel bad for the Complementary Therapists and others on this site, who try to have a civilised thread about this subject only for it to be closed or jumped on by other Geeks who have opinions on it, that really should be kept to themselves!!!!!!

As I have said in previous threads (there have been many!!), I have never had it done, but am considering taking my little boy, he suffers terribly with his ears, antibiotics, gels, drops etc etc etc, dont touch the problem, so he has to ride it out, hes only 5 and its terrible to see him in such agony! Im going to give it a go, why not, whos it going to hurt???? NO-ONE......thats right NO-ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously guys, cant we just keep this thread for therapists who actually carry out this treatment instead of the same old getting involved!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

I have to add my bit in here aswell, I have never felt as though people who offer Ear Candling as a treatment, force it on me or proclaim that it can do such things as cure the deaf, etc.
Its an alternative therapy............
Exactly Hayls. I never force it on anyone and no-one hasever done so to me either. Well said hunni.
For gods sake guys, you can quote and quote until you are blue in the face, but if there are people who are sure it works for them and they are happy, then why bother. Who cares if there are articles saying it is bogus, blah blah blah, if it works for some, leave them carry on!

I honestly feel bad for the Complementary Therapists and others on this site, who try to have a civilised thread about this subject only for it to be closed or jumped on by other Geeks who have opinions on it, that really should be kept to themselves!!!!!!
I feel personally insulted. I have worked damn hard for my qualifications, and a lot longer than 6 years as well !!!

As I have said in previous threads (there have been many!!), I have never had it done, but am considering taking my little boy, he suffers terribly with his ears, antibiotics, gels, drops etc etc etc, dont touch the problem, so he has to ride it out, hes only 5 and its terrible to see him in such agony! Im going to give it a go, why not, whos it going to hurt???? NO-ONE......thats right NO-ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go for it Hayls. I am sure you will notice a huge difference, and it will give littleun some relief hopefully.:hug:

Seriously guys, cant we just keep this thread for therapists who actually carry out this treatment instead of the same old getting involved!!!

Not a chance !!!! :green:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

At least the ear candlers can honestly hold up their heads with dignity and professionalism .
There is no need to spit poisonous spiteful venom at us for having an opinion.

We are all entitled to an opinion surely?

I couldn't care less whether people approve of ear candling or not , what i do care about is my profession being made a mockery of.

I couldnt care less whether scientists have so called proof as to whether it works or not either.

Its also been said by sceptics that reflexology dosent work either, but I can say as an advanced reflexologist that I have living , breathing clients who it has worked for, and who benefit greatly from this wonderful treatment, as they also do with ear candles.

I dont make a mockery out of anybody's work, or their beliefs, and if I did, I surely would have the balls to stand up and apologise profusely for being so rude whether it was just my opinion or not.

Elaine xx:hug:

Hi All,
I don't want to get into a big debate over this issue, nor do I wish to offend anyone. I am simply stating the facts as I see them. The opinion I expressed is based on the information released by the US FDA and the Canadian government who have opposed ear candling as potentially dangourous and in some cases fraudlent. As with all opinions, you should always "consider the source". I think these are pretty good sources to consider and hope you agree.

I want to comment on the posted quote (below):
"am considering taking my little boy, he suffers terribly with his ears, antibiotics, gels, drops etc etc etc, dont touch the problem, so he has to ride it out, hes only 5 and its terrible to see him in such agony! "

I feel terrible for this poor child's medical condition and understand that it is well within a mothers right to determine what medical treatments are best for her child, BUT... it is not within a beauty practitioner or therapist rights to perform ANY medical treament or proceedure without being under the direct supervision of a licensed and qualified medical professional. Ear candlers are not licenced medical professionals and therefore have no authority or training allowing them to diagnose any medical condition or to preform medical treatments. Nor do they posses the ability to cure any medical condition and to claim otherwise is false and deceptive.

The same is true for others in the beauty business. We should never perform any medical proceedures or giving any medical advice. It is not within the scope of this profession and is irresponsible to do so. We enhance beauty, we don't treat medical conditions.

Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor
Creative Nail Design, Inc.

Hi All,
I don't want to get into a big debate over this issue, nor do I wish to offend anyone. I am simply stating the facts as I see them. The opinion I expressed is based on the information released by the US FDA and the Canadian government who have opposed ear candling as potentially dangourous and in some cases fraudlent. As with all opinions, you should always "consider the source". I think these are pretty good sources to consider and hope you agree.

I want to comment on the posted quote (below):
"am considering taking my little boy, he suffers terribly with his ears, antibiotics, gels, drops etc etc etc, dont touch the problem, so he has to ride it out, hes only 5 and its terrible to see him in such agony! "

I feel terrible for this poor child's medical condition and understand that it is well within a mothers right to determine what medical treatments are best for her child, BUT... it is not within a beauty practitioner or therapist rights to perform ANY medical treament or proceedure without being under the direct supervision of a licensed and qualified medical professional. Ear candlers are not licenced medical professionals and therefore have no authority or training allowing them to diagnose any medical condition or to preform medical treatments. Nor do they posses the ability to cure any medical condition and to claim otherwise is false and deceptive.

The same is true for others in the beauty business. We should never perform any medical proceedures or giving any medical advice. It is not within the scope of this profession and is irresponsible to do so. We enhance beauty, we don't treat medical conditions.

Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor

No we most certainly do not treat medical conditions nor give medical advice, ever.
Only a doctor can do that.

I am sure that Hayls will most obviously seek her doctors advice before she would consider authorising any procedure on a child, as would any other responsible parent.
And as any responsible complimentary therapist worth their salt would seek the clients g.p's advice and permission before performing any treatment on a child under the age of 16, or in fact anyone who was considered to be contra-indicated to a treatment for any reasons including age.
I am bound by a code of ethics and follow them religiously.

Complementary Therapies are not there to replace orthodox medicine, they are there to compliment them. No complimentary Thrapist would ever advise a client to stop taking medication or give medical advise.

Complimentary Therapists are NOT allowed to make a diagnosis of any description, nor give medical advice.

I ALWAYS tell my clients this during the consultation.

We could seriously put someone's life in danger if we did such a thing, and personally I do not know of any professional Therapist that would even think about putting themselves or their clients, or their reputation, in such a position.

I am trained in pallative care with reflexology and aromatherapy, and have given comfort and relief to clients and their carers during their last days. But i dont profess to be a medical practitioner, because i most certainly am not.

Yes, there are probably some unscrupulous people out there, who think they are doctors just because they have a few certificates, and have undergone a few courses, but we are not all the same.

Any Therapist who belongs to a professional body , and has trained hard and values their reputation and the care of their clients would never ever jeopardise the reputation of this profession.

I am going to step off my soapbox now, and hope we can all treat this thread like adults and try and respect each others professions and businesses alike.

Elaine xx:hug::hug::hug:

Hi Doug,

I was just going to echo what Lavender blue so excellently put.

Complementary/alternative/holistic therapists would NEVER diagnose, its drummed into us from day one in college.

We would NEVER tell people to come off medication.

We would NEVER call ear candling a MEDICAL TREATMENT.

Maybe you have had problems with things like this happening in Canada and the US but I haven't heard of any problems like this arising in the UK.

it is not within a beauty practitioner or therapist rights to perform ANY medical treament or proceedure without being under the direct supervision of a licensed and qualified medical professional. Ear candlers are not licenced medical professionals and therefore have no authority or training allowing them to diagnose any medical condition or to preform medical treatments. Nor do they posses the ability to cure any medical condition and to claim otherwise is false and deceptive.

Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor

hi Doug,
I think you might well find that here in the Uk these devices do not come under the classification of a "medical device" and therefore I am afraid your argument simply doesn't hold validity.

The treatment being offered is not in any way shape or form offered as such and mearly is offered as a means of releif and support to more traditional methods such as syringing etc.

Indeed there are many doctors here that now draw on such " non medical " treatments as a means of supporting them in the fight against human illnesses.....speaking from a UK perspective of course.:hug:

In so far as holistics are concerned it is not one of enhancement of outer beauty (the likes of a spraytan or a nice set of nails etc) but one of inner wellness...although to be fair "beauty does come from within"

I therefore feel it irresponsable to condem practices that give those that seek it a benifit...be it from within:hug:

I am not seeking any sort of medical help from my COMPLIMENTARY therapist at all, just a bit of relief for my son to be honest! The doctor has said it is something he will 'grow out of'. myself, Im not prepared to sit idley (sp) by while he is in pain, so I will try different options and see what works for him, not what some researcher tells me is bogus.

THINK about it, there must be something about it, otherwise this treatment wouldve died on its ass, many moons ago.

Just to clear, I am in no way seeking the help of a therapist rather than a doctor, in my little boys case...we have gone down all the possible avenues for a child his age, I see NO harm in trying something alternative, no harm at all.

:zzz:

I have used ear candles and have found them a relaxing treatment and they helped with a sinus problem I had ,Ok no medical evidence maybe a placebo effect but I did get relief. I think that with most holistic treatments they are about treating the whole person and some work by simply relaxing people and allowing their bodies to heal. Not one holistic therapist is causing distress or harm to their clients they are doing what We nail techs do each day which is to make their clients feel better about themselves and to feel pampered.

I do think its about time that some people on this forum which is now called Salon Geek understand that holistic therapists are trained professionals not some sort of fake con artists and to question their values and reasons for using such treatments is imo unprofessional and not good for people viewing this site.

Ok rant over :)

I do think its about time that some people on this forum which is now called Salon Geek understand that holistic therapists are trained professionals not some sort of fake con artists and to question their values and reasons for using such treatments is imo unprofessional and not good for people viewing this site.
Lellipop you get my vote and you have made my day today:hug:

The banner at the top of the page(you know the one..under The Salon Geek) that says"The Salon Professionals comunity"..yes that's the one.

As I understand it Holistic's is a multi million pound revenue generator here in the Uk and abroad and has a diverse range of services offered by highly qualified and committed individual's...you know..just like the ones who have been posting on this thread...and ones that through the wonderful services they offer their customers have established some rather nice buisneses.

Ok there will always be contraversy on the subject matter of alternative medacines and healing....generally speaking this contraversy tend's to come about from a lack of or unwillingness to understand what is going on or simply not wanting to hear it(maybe they need their ears cleaning out to assist them)

Now then what is dafter....paying someone to stick things on the ends of your finger,someone to paint you brown or to rip the hairs out of the most intimate parts of your body or to dye your hair purple...or even to permantley tatoo something on your arse or stick a hole through your lip and wack a pin with a bobble on it.

So come on then which one of these is the daftest...should they all be slated by each other just because it seems "daft" what they are doing each and every day to people who actually pay for it.

I accept that this site was once dedicated to nail's however has since (thank goodness) widend its targeted audience...if it is to be succesfull in the long term it has to accept the diverse nature of the services and atitudes of the individules that offer those services ...it is essential that we respect each other as a professional no matter what service we undertake.

...ok thats me done..getting of the horse now:hug:

good morning everyone. Isn't it a lovely day?

I think the last few comments have really encompassed what I was thinking, so have no real need to add anything else.

and thank you everyone for the supportive comments that I have been receiving (don't know why I've been singled out for these comments?!!)

good morning everyone. Isn't it a lovely day?

I think the last few comments have really encompassed what I was thinking, so have no real need to add anything else.

and thank you everyone for the supportive comments that I have been receiving (don't know why I've been singled out for these comments?!!)

Yes indeed...what a lovely day :hug:...keep spreading the :Love::Love:Hippy Chick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back