ear candles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read with interest the post from Doug Schoon....it makes a good point and one I wouldn't even begin to argue with...I am no scientist and I wholeheartedly take on board what you have to say and what other scientists and medical professionals have to say aswell...

However...:lol:

I read the last part of your post and felt the need to respond...

Ear candling can cause ear perforation, burns on the face and even death ( by association )....

A cotton wool ear bud can cause damage...sold in many shops worldwide...
An apple pie from McDonalds can cause burns if it drips onto the skin...so can the water out of your tap in your house....
Christmas Tree fairy lights can cause a fire leading to death....still used though... year in year out...

There are people who 'believe' ear candling works for them....they get comfort from the treatment....
Not everyone believes in ear candling and they have that precious ability to steer clear from anything to do with it...

God gives people comfort....people believe in Him....
Scientists cannot prove he exists...and yet one of the richest associations in the UK is The Church of England....
Are all those people stupid for believing in something that cannot be proven to exist or have ever existed?

Is it really so damaging to believe in something that cannot be proven to work?

We can harm ourselves or die from everything that exists in life....should we stay in bed all day and night and pray we survive until the next day?

Or should we live our life how we want to and maybe go for that ear candling session that gives us some comfort whether it be proven or disproven...
and instead watch out for that bus that 'might' just run us over?

I am not 'dissing' the scientific element....far from it....
But sometimes you just have to listen to the 'human' element which gives everyone a freedom of choice xxxxxxxx

get a grip :!::!:
find me a respected, educated professional that will endorse this procedure, that will put their name and reputation on the line.

I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Some people just won't listen when they are selling snake oil and making money from the gullible.

It makes me wonder who are the gullible? The client or the seller?
And who are the honest.

Last edited:
get a grip :!::!:

on what? :lol:

It's an opinion....

EDIT: damn you edited and added some...:D

I don't need anyone to endorse anything.... like I say if I listened to every endorsement....I wouldn't eat ( might benefit me actually ), drink or even breathe the air I live in....

I read with interest the post from Doug Schoon....it makes a good point and one I wouldn't even begin to argue with...I am no scientist and I wholeheartedly take on board what you have to say and what other scientists and medical professionals have to say aswell...

Ear candling can cause ear perforation, burns on the face and even death ( by association )....

An apple pie from McDonalds can cause burns if it drips onto the skin...so can the water out of your tap in your house....
Christmas Tree fairy lights can cause a fire leading to death....still used though... year in year out...

There are people who 'believe' ear candling works for them....they get comfort from the treatment....
Not everyone believes in ear candling and they have that precious ability to steer clear from anything to do with it...

Scientists cannot prove he exists...and yet one of the richest associations in the UK is The Church of England....
Are all those people stupid for believing in something that cannot be proven to exist or have ever existed?

We can harm ourselves or die from everything that exists in life....should we stay in bed all day and night and pray we survive until the next day?

Or should we live our life how we want to and maybe go for that ear candling session that gives us some comfort whether it be proven or disproven...

But sometimes you just have to listen to the 'human' element which gives everyone a freedom of choice xxxxxxxx

couldn't agree more :hug:

In any aspect of the industry within which we work (Nails,hair,skin etc)there are dangers from either potentially hazardas ingrediances or poor workmanship which is why it is of the utmost importance that there are such things as apropriate training and certification and of course insurance to cover such things.

There are many different attitudes to certain issues across the globe which not only vary from country to country but also from person to person within each country.

It is important that we respect the views and practices of other professionals who offer a valued service to a demanding public.

Here in the Uk we have strict regulations and guidelines which are both produced by and enforced by authoratitive orgonisation's such as the MHRA which cover what we can or can not either supply to or treat individuals with...to date there are no such directives from these UK govening bodies which ban the use of these devices.

If it were that they deemed them hazardouse beleive me they would not allow their sale or usage.

We can not get away from the fact that the consumer continues to undertake this treatment because they either actualy experiance a benifit or beleive they derive a posative benifit from their use.

That reminds me ...got to get a hair cut at the weekend and must ask the barber for his cosh certificate for the hazardouse liquids he holds in his store room :hug:

Have to agree with Jo and Colin here....if these things were bad then people would not be able to do them.....my hubby is a tattooist and there are dangers in tattooing people ....BUT we stick to the rules and regulations which we have to....so hubby does his dream job and clients get a great tattoo....:green:

If it makes people feel better and people WANT to have it done, even if there is no proof then whats the harm? You can be qualified in ear candling and have insurance so whats the problem?

Some people just like the feeling surely if its not hurting anyone then theres nothing to worry about?

I think the point that has been missed here and the thing which most people will be objecting to is the way that some people sell this service.

To all the nail people out there how would you react to a company who marketed a gel for example by saying that it was kind to the nails allowing them to breathe etc etc. We have all seen these and object to them.

As to the ear candling - I know nothing about it but every single thread about it seems to go the same way - if you do it and are happy to do it based on all the information out there and market it for what it is - a feel good service but without any proven health benefits then what is the harm.

I think one point Doug is clearly making is: Ear Candles have been proven to not accomplish the claims made by the manufacturers, therapists and other financially interested parties.

Does that point really matter if Candles give people comfort or some psychosomatic
benefit from the process? Well IMHO, this is where professionalism comes into play. Would it be wrong of me to manufacture, sell and promote a new type of base coat that claimed to let the nail Breathe even though it is scientifically proven that would be impossible and completely unwarranted? Would it matter if I profited from this product as it surely wouldn't hurt anyone and may make clients feel 'better' about their nail services? I would hope that you would agree, it would be very unprofessional of me to create, promote and sell something on totally untrue claims.

And to the insurance point, an underwriter will underwrite insurance for anything as long as the numbers work. Simply being able to get insurance for a treatment doesn't mean that the treatment works, it just means that the insurance company will generate more in premiums than their forecasts say they will pay out. Viola! An insurance policy will exist!

Hope this helps :)

I marketed candling as per my training. I have read more and spoken to other candling therapists and have slightly changed my "pitch" (not quite the right word but I'm sure you know what I mean).

However I am not a fraud, I have had the treatment and felt it could benefit others. I do not promise miracle cures - just a relaxing treatment.

If clients thought I was misleading them then I would have been reported to Trading Standards or some other body by now. They also would not come back for sessions or recommend it to others.

My insurance company is happy to include candling on my policy - they wouldn't do this if they thought there was a strong risk of them having to pay out, as Gillian said.

Here here. Well said Jo. I agree with you.

Im keeping out of this discussion this time round cos its sounding like a broken record.:rolleyes:

There is no point in going round in circles till we're all dizzy . Lets just enjoy this lovely relaxing treatment .

xx:hug::hug:

I am not sure it is apropriate to tar all manufacturers with the same brush when it comes to marketing or making claims about specific benifits of using their products..weather it be ear candles, nail related or any other products for that matter.

Nor, for that matter the speciolist skills of professionals that offer a specific treatment that their customers ask for and that they derive their living from....especially within a country where it is completly legal to undertake the practice in question...if you get what I mean?

It would be nice if the origional posted question could be discussed in such a manner that the originator derives some sort of answer that is of some help in their descision making process.

I totaly agree about the candle not sucking wax, (yuk) out of the ear, and on my training was NEVER told that it does. I do not tell clients that it will remove wax. I do not claim that it will cure their ear problems. I do not say, have an ear candle and you will never get hayfever again. I DO say that the treatment is found to be very relaxing, and calming, and could help with headaches, hayfever or sinus problems, as that is the feedback that clients have given me.:hug: Clients are of the complete understanding that it is not a medical treatment, but a treatment. No fraudulant, scandulous or sensational claims made, just a treatment! :lol:

I totaly agree about the candle not sucking wax, (yuk) out of the ear, and on my training was NEVER told that it does. I do not tell clients that it will remove wax. I do not claim that it will cure their ear problems. I do not say, have an ear candle and you will never get hayfever again. I DO say that the treatment is found to be very relaxing, and calming, and could help with headaches, hayfever or sinus problems, as that is the feedback that clients have given me.:hug: Clients are of the complete understanding that it is not a medical treatment, but a treatment. No fraudulant, scandulous or sensational claims made, just a treatment! :lol:

Ditto

Hi i'm new to this so I hope this works !!
On the training I did I got told that any yellow powder in the candle is the candles
remains but any wax is actually drawn from the ear. I have had ear candles quite alot and again have always found them to work brilliantly.

This is a subject that everyone seems to have an opinion :eek:
Cant it just be live and let live and not persecute those who have trained and think they work.

We on here have many skills and personally I would never ever consider arguing with someone trained in there chosen treatment even if I felt it was a complete waste of time.

So can we just all take a breath and love each other again:Love::Love::Love:

Hi i'm new to this so I hope this works !!
On the training I did I got told that any yellow powder in the candle is the candles
remains but any wax is actually drawn from the ear. I have had ear candles quite alot and again have always found them to work brilliantly.

Thanks for the comments, you are very brave to enter into this foray, and I hope that people are polite enough not to leap on your comments and tear them to shreds.

We are used to this same-old, same-old verbal attack.

Thankfully you can spell to chel, otherwise you may be noted for being illiterate.

BTW, this Doug who proclaims to be an expert. does anyone know that he is ACTUALLY an expert, or do we just take his word for it?

Thanks hippy chick, just putting forward my little bit of what I was told, as klassy klaws has said everyone has their own opinion so lets just live and let live.

thanks Fiona for the link. Will have a look at it, thanks.

BTW, this Doug who proclaims to be an expert. does anyone know that he is ACTUALLY an expert, or do we just take his word for it?

If this thread does get closed, it will be closed for endorsing silly, proven misleading and dangerous activities.

The site owner disapproves of this practice and the most respected man in our industry disapproves, (yet you choose to challenge both of them).

I wanted this thread to remain open to prove certain people wrong, but when proven otherwise by very well respected people, .... then it should be closed and driven back into underground where it belongs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disgusted with the way this thread has gone and the personal attacks that have happened!

Has anyone actually noticed that the has been 100 post on here and the original poster hasn't been back on :rolleyes:

Please can this now stop:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back