ear candles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I initially did the training for myself and my family.

I have always suffered with catarrah, then when I got to 25 I started with rhinitis.

I threw away the beconase when the GP told me I would be reliant on it for life!

I decided to do the training after a colleague recommended it, and I had read an article in a glossy magazine about it.

I also thought it would help if my son followed in my footsteps (which he doesnt so far) and if he had the problem of glue ear.

I am so pleased that I did the training, and because I have firsthand experience of the benefits of it, feel happy to have it as part of my treatment packages. Plus the ingredients are natural (apart from the plastic filter). ticks all the boxes for me.:green:

I charge £20 for a Hopi Ear Treatment which includes a sinus drain and partial facial massage. The treatment lasts around 45 mins. If the client books a session ie 3 together to have as an initial treatment then I charge £45 on their first appointment and try and get them to have all three treatments within the next 10 days for optimum benefit. These clients tend to then book in once a fortnight/month to keep up the initial treatment if the results have been positive for them.

I enjoy the treatments, they are so relaxing for the therapist too. :hug:

re: relaxing, don't stare at the flame! god it hypnotises you!

Your package sounds a great idea Jen.

re: relaxing, don't stare at the flame! god it hypnotises you!

Your package sounds a great idea Jen.

I hear you Ann .. the flames are so hypnotic along with the atmosphere in the salon, its difficult sometimes to concentrate holding that candle in place lol!!!

I hear you Ann .. the flames are so hypnotic along with the atmosphere in the salon, its difficult sometimes to concentrate holding that candle in place lol!!!

I third that, lol! Its a beautiful treatment to do, both relaxing and beneficial for the client, (and us). I charge £18 for a 45 min treatment, which includes a sinus and pressure point massage to face. I find there is a lot of repeat business from it, so we must be doing something right:lol:

I third that, lol! Its a beautiful treatment to do, both relaxing and beneficial for the client, (and us). I charge £18 for a 45 min treatment, which includes a sinus and pressure point massage to face. I find there is a lot of repeat business from it, so we must be doing something right:lol:
Thats very cheap! I would consider putting your prices up tbh. Unless you are buying your candles in bulk, you can't be making much.

I used to buy 100 pairs from revital and it bought the cost down considerably, but can't afford that outlay anymore. But, you are making it more accessible to more people.

Thats very cheap! I would consider putting your prices up tbh. Unless you are buying your candles in bulk, you can't be making much.

I used to buy 100 pairs from revital and it bought the cost down considerably, but can't afford that outlay anymore. But, you are making it more accessible to more people.

Does anyone use the 'somethingforwickend' site to buy their candles from? I got mine from there the last couple of times.. very quick delivery and discounted when you buy around 10 pairs at once.

I get mine from that site and sometimes I get them from nutrisun. Somethingforthewickend guarantee cheapest prices on the net!

They send me a little silver disc collar thing, but I don't use them. I just use the candles and my hands.

I get mine from that site and sometimes I get them from nutrisun. Somethingforthewickend guarantee cheapest prices on the net!

They send me a little silver disc collar thing, but I don't use them. I just use the candles and my hands.

Yes I got the silver collar thingy.. but I don't trust this fully and prefer to hold the candle safely with my hand.

Nice to see the thread still running and nice and positive:)
Imo not everything we see or use always as Science or Medical back up I remember years ago accupture being a load of twaddle acording to some doc's but now they use it in surgery etc

I do buy my candles in bulk-ish, (not 100's but 10's) so am happy with what I charge. The going rate around this area is approx £25, but they are in high street salons. I can afford to be a bit more reasonable as I work in a salon built in the garden of my home, so dont have massive overheads. I enjoy doing the treatment, and do earn a little from them, so everyones a winner, lol:lol:

I charge £20 for a Hopi Ear Treatment which includes a sinus drain and partial facial massage. The treatment lasts around 45 mins. If the client books a session ie 3 together to have as an initial treatment then I charge £45 on their first appointment and try and get them to have all three treatments within the next 10 days for optimum benefit. These clients tend to then book in once a fortnight/month to keep up the initial treatment if the results have been positive for them.

I enjoy the treatments, they are so relaxing for the therapist too. :hug:
I would love to have a treatment from you Jen, I could do with relaxing atm lol

xxxx

Nice to see the thread still running and nice and positive:)
Imo not everything we see or use always as Science or Medical back up I remember years ago accupture being a load of twaddle acording to some doc's but now they use it in surgery etc

Could not agree more huni......its interesting reading this as i have never heard what goes on with the ear candling ...how much it is........thanks guys keep it coming xx

all you have to do is google ear candling and that should answer your questions
the first 3 links are goverment links all warning you that it is not advised
It is very sensitive discussion as many people really think it is helping them and that is very upsetting it they are being told it is a rip off,

ear candling - Google Search=

I suggest buring a candle for yourself without inserting it in anyone's ear, then open it and see if you notice a difference inside, if you are not inserting it in an ear do you not think that it would look different inside? I did and I was shocked!

Just some food for thought

Last edited:
I have actually tried burning candles outside of the ear, one just in air the other with its end scured in an air tight jar. I was curious.

Both candles showed different signs of burning. The one in air burnt very quickly whilst the one in the jar took a little less than one burnt in the ear. The air burnt candle contained a very small amount of yellow residue. The one in the jar a larger amount but neither had the large amounts of dark orange/brown "wax" found in the candle burnt in the ear. I am not saying this is ear wax by the way.

I use candles with a filter which helps to prevent waste products falling into the ear - this is one of the injuries that has been quoted.

As has been said many times some people like them, some don't, some people are curious and others think they are dangerous. They are a widely used treatment and I was told by a medical professional that candling is kinder to the ear than syringing - which apparently can perforate ear drums.

Hi All,

I’ve read the candling discussions with great interest. In my scientific expert opinion, ear candling is utterly and completely bogus, ineffective and often fraudulently promoted. The US FDA has come out against these devices and they cannot be legally sold in Canada. Some companies make fraudulent and deceptive health claims, when actually, these devices provide no health benefits—at all.

Some companies proclaimed them to be for “entertainment only”, but that’s a feeble attempt to get around the regulations. And these devices can be dangerous, as described below. Even more interestingly, they don’t even remove wax from the ear!

Here is a short passage from a really wonderful website called www.quackwatch.org.
This site exposes fraudulent medical practices and is considered to be a highly credible source of information. If ever you hear about something that “sounds too good to be true”, check out QuackWatch for the inside scoop. Read on to find out how many people selling these devices often resort to trickery and deception. There is much more on the site, so check it out for yourself.

Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor
Creative Nail Design, Inc.
Why Candling Can't Work

from QuackWatch.org

Since wax is sticky, the negative pressure needed to pull wax from the canal would have to be so powerful that it would rupture the eardrum in the process. However, candling produces no vacuum. Researchers who measured the pressure during candling of ear models found that no negative pressure was created. The same investigators candled eight ears and found that no ear wax was removed and candle wax was actually deposited in some of them!
The notion that the ear canal is connected to structures beyond the eardrum is false. A review of a good anatomy book should dispel this notion. The external ear canal, with an intact eardrum, is not connected to the brain, the sinuses targeted by the procedure (those above your eyes), or the Eustacean tubes (the passageways between the internal ear and the back of the throat). While some claim that the eardrum is porous and quickly allows impurities to pass through, this is untrue. The "impurities" that appear in the collected wax (usually on a paper plate or other collecting device) are nothing more than the ashes from the burnt wick and wax of the cone itself.
Dangers Reported
Candling poses several dangers, the most serious of which involve burning caused by the hot wax. Candle manufacturers claim that their candles will drip only down the outside of the ear, but shamefully few direct the user to hold the candle horizontally to prevent this. A 1996 survey of 144 ear, nose, and throat physicians, found that 14 had seen patients who had been harmed by ear candling, including at least 13 cases of external burns, 7 cases of ear canal obstruction with candle wax, and 1 perforated eardrum [3].
Another case was reported by The London Free Press, a Canadian newspaper. A woman who experienced stuffiness in the nose and ear pains while scuba diving went to a local health-food store and was referred to a "qualified" candler. During the "treatment," she felt an intense burning in her ear. At the emergency room, attempts to remove wax that had dripped from the candle onto her eardrum failed. Surgery was required, and a hole in her eardrum was discovered, which presumably was caused by the procedure. She recovered fully, and luckily her hearing was not affected. The practitioner apologized, compensated the woman, and stopped performing ear coning.
Alaska Fire Marshall Gary L. Powell has reported two instances of significant fires associated with ear candling., one of which led to the user's death. On January 27, 2005 a 59-year-old woman ignited her bedding when she dropped an ear candle that she was attempting to use the ear without any assistance. The candle ignited the bedding and quickly spread to curtains and other combustibles in the room. The woman did escaped but suffered an asthma attack and died in a hospital emergency room [4]

Thanks Doug, It just might take you to come aboard once in awhile to straighten these issues out!

I would love to meet you one day, I am hoping to come to Vegas this June!

you cant argue with facts eh !!.... thanks Mr Doug Schoon. x

I read with interest the post from Doug Schoon....it makes a good point and one I wouldn't even begin to argue with...I am no scientist and I wholeheartedly take on board what you have to say and what other scientists and medical professionals have to say aswell...

However...:lol:

I read the last part of your post and felt the need to respond...

Ear candling can cause ear perforation, burns on the face and even death ( by association )....

A cotton wool ear bud can cause damage...sold in many shops worldwide...
An apple pie from McDonalds can cause burns if it drips onto the skin...so can the water out of your tap in your house....
Christmas Tree fairy lights can cause a fire leading to death....still used though... year in year out...

There are people who 'believe' ear candling works for them....they get comfort from the treatment....
Not everyone believes in ear candling and they have that precious ability to steer clear from anything to do with it...

God gives people comfort....people believe in Him....
Scientists cannot prove he exists...and yet one of the richest associations in the UK is The Church of England....
Are all those people stupid for believing in something that cannot be proven to exist or have ever existed?

Is it really so damaging to believe in something that cannot be proven to work?

We can harm ourselves or die from everything that exists in life....should we stay in bed all day and night and pray we survive until the next day?

Or should we live our life how we want to and maybe go for that ear candling session that gives us some comfort whether it be proven or disproven...
and instead watch out for that bus that 'might' just run us over?

I am not 'dissing' the scientific element....far from it....
But sometimes you just have to listen to the 'human' element which gives everyone a freedom of choice xxxxxxxx

What i do not understand is why if they are thought to be this dangerous,then why can you still get insurance from such respectable organisations as The Guild,Babtac et.
Also training, VTCT do courses,most colleges are now running course.
It doesnt make any sense and is obviously confusing.
Quack watch also tends to have something to say on almost every alternative treatment there is.You name it the site can find someway to slate it even massage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back