EDGE shape

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I always wonder what 'loads' means!! :)

The girls from the countries you mention will pay for nail art as they are used to it and the techs from these countries do outstanding art ....
but the British will not pay the price for nail art on all 10 fingers. Unless you are prepared to do it cheap (not me) ... if you use the wonderful MINX you can offer nail art for all 10 nails at an affordable price.

It is one in a thousand who will pay what they should pay for nail art services in the UK.

Ladies back home are paying up to 150 pounds for a set of Edge or Stilettos with 3d incapsulated art on each nail with extented nail beds etc. Full set that takes upto 4 hrs to complete.

I cant see myself doing that in the UK, first of all no one will pay me 150 pounds for a set of nails, and surely will not be sitting there for 4 hrs +

I think its good to share and try to do these different things to keep on top with techniques and be inspired.

With regards to new shapes not adding to the industry and not bringing new clients i will strongly disagree, because there are always clients out there willing to try something new. And you may have a eastern european girl walking through your door asking for a nail repair or a rebalance or a new set of those nails, and if you dont know how to do those you will lose a customer.

:hug:

Ladies back home are paying up to 150 pounds for a set of Edge or Stilettos with 3d incapsulated art on each nail with extented nail beds etc. Full set that takes upto 4 hrs to complete.

I cant see myself doing that in the UK, first of all no one will pay me 150 pounds for a set of nails, and surely will not be sitting there for 4 hrs +

I think its good to share and try to do these different things to keep on top with techniques and be inspired.

With regards to new shapes not adding to the industry and not bringing new clients i will strongly disagree, because there are always clients out there willing to try something new. And you may have a eastern european girl walking through your door asking for a nail repair or a rebalance or a new set of those nails, and if you dont know how to do those you will lose a customer.

I reckon IF it happened and IF someone walked thru the door wanting this shape. I could figure it out and do it. don't you?? :green:

I just don't see the need to keep coming up with new shapes, which in my opinion don't add anything to our industry.

I wouldn't gain any business wearing this shape.:confused:

New shapes are adding a variety and a choice to the industry!

and surely you would gain business by wearing this shape:hug:, likewise a lot of my clients were critising stilleto shaped nails on the poster i had on the wall saying they will never have that. And yet, once i started having stilletos myself i have many clients that are having them. Ans i am charging a bit more for stilletos so I did indeed gained new business.

New shapes are adding a variety and a choice to the industry!

and surely you would gain business by wearing this shape:hug:, likewise a lot of my clients were critising stilleto shaped nails on the poster i had on the wall saying they will never have that. And yet, once i started having stilletos myself i have many clients that are having them. Ans i am charging a bit more for stilletos so I did indeed gained new business.

And just how many is many?? Natalyia wht age group are asking for these shapes??

I dont mind the ridge, I'd like it better though if it was incorperated into a stilletto nail. Done that way it would be a variation on a shape I already like although I have to say I always thought stiletto nails were shorter than the talons you see now called the same (albeit fab!)

I reckon IF it happened and IF someone walked thru the door wanting this shape. I could figure it out and do it. don't you?? :green:

Oops, I beg you pardon, Gigi, I should have posted that separately. You would figure out any shape with the experience you have. I would not attempt to do anything on a client myself unless i have been shown how to do it by experienced nail professionals like yourself:hug::hug::hug:

as far as i learned from the posts from nailclub forum it is not the easiest shape to do with regards to form placement and filing, to ensure the perfect, sharp and straight shape.

And just how many is many?? Natalyia wht age group are asking for these shapes??

May be not as MANY as I would like:) To be exact I have 11 clients at the moment that are wearing stilletos, length varies from short to medium. Age group - I have a 46 year old accountant, a model in her early 30s, my 27 yrs old friend from russia, a 35 years old lady of leisure, etc. I would say that their lifestyle defines the length of stilletos.

Oh, and I have a former model from US in her 60s, who asked for a fairly short stilleto, red glittery french:).

I dont mind the ridge, I'd like it better though if it was incorperated into a stilletto nail. Done that way it would be a variation on a shape I already like although I have to say I always thought stiletto nails were shorter than the talons you see now called the same (albeit fab!)

here is a link to that russian site, various lengths of Edge stilletos

Ýäæèêè - long ones

http://www.nailclub.ru/forum/foto/index.php?n=13813 - short ones

http://www.nailclub.ru/forum/foto/index.php?n=13910 - medium

lve your new avatar)))) x

Last edited:
i had a go, thanks for the inspiration.
i think i pinched it a little too narrow at the tip. i found it hard to file on myself. but it was the most fun i've had in ages, its nice to just have a little challenge for yourself. its the only thing that has got me into my studio after hours for ages.
ST831811.jpg

i think i pinched it a little too narrow at the tip. i found it hard to file on myself. but it was the most fun i've had in ages, its nice to just have a little challenge for yourself. its the only thing that has got me into my studio after hours for ages.

Well done dolly))) It looks fantastic:hug:

I love that black it looks almost like a sort of black lace, very inspirational for a newbie like me! x

I love that black it looks almost like a sort of black lace, very inspirational for a newbie like me! x

oh good, its always fun to have a try at something new isnt it.

how did you do the black chick ? v nice:hug:

black glitter l/p on the nail bed area and then extended and overlayed with clear. filed to shape and then painted the design with black and pearl acrylic paint. gel topcoat.

black glitter l/p on the nail bed area and then extended and overlayed with clear. filed to shape and then painted the design with black and pearl acrylic paint. gel topcoat.

cool ! gotta try that !thanks:hug:

I find the shape very interesting, but as said, it doesn't flatter.

HOWEVER, I can see myself doing this, just for the fun of it. For doing something different. Although my nails are NNO, no one thinks they're mine because of the length (very long), so to do something that is so obviously unnatural in appearance doesn't bother me.
I love to do different things, even if only to get people to notice my nails (and that's where the fun is for me, getting people to notice them).

Thanks so much for sharing the link, I have added it to my faves for nail tuts to try.

Very cool:!:

ps: the art is lovely!

2nd PS: I'm willing to bet that I have 3 clients that would LOVE to try it, just for the fun of it and for the fun of being original amongst their 'enhanced' friends. My clients range from 18yrs to 50+ and I might add... that all of my 50+yrs clients all wear art. My only die-hard 'french' client is 36yrs old.

Last edited:
I dont know what it is but there is something about these ones that keep drawing me back to look at them, but then I love most of this techs work.

IMG_4024-4122 ?????? - ????? - nayadas - Photofile.name

Ditto:!:

Ya know, I said that they are not flattering. I take that back. Those nails don't look natural for certain. But they are definately a pleasure to look at. And while they are blatantly unnatural in shape, I have to say that they are flattering.

Why? They're not ugly, and are attractive to look at. They don't make the hand look unattractive. The shape is consistent and her work is clean.

One definition of flattering is as follows:
The action of the verb to flatter; Instances of flattery; Attractive or good-looking; that makes one look good

And they do indeed, do exactly that: make the nails look good.
Were the nails short and bitten or whatever, they wouldn't be "flattering" to the hand. If they were sloppy and inconsistent, and had messy sidewalls or lumps & bumps, were ultra thick or rings of fire, or egyptian hats etc.... they would be "unflattering" because they wouldn't be pleasing to the eye and so wouldn't flatter the hand.

Now if your goal is solely to do natural looking enhancements: then yes, I can understand why one would say they that they are unflattering.
However, I don't think that word is appropriate in this case (and in many others where we've used it in the past) simply because in the case of the shape, it's a matter of opinion of what looks best, and not necessarily a hard 'rule' that the shape should be such and such. Just look at Canadian trends for square/squoval shape versus the UK trend of almonds & ovals? It's all a matter of opinion and trend.

The goal of nail enhancements is to make the nails look attractive. Thereby flattering the hands. The tech has done exactly that.

So, to finish: I think that they do flatter the hand and that she has done a lovely job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back