Fact or fiction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOU LOU

Reaction score
Hi there,

Can someone tell me if it is true that if you keep your nail polish in the fridge it keeps longer and is easier to apply?

Also, do any of you keep your polishes in the fridge?

Never heard such nonsense!

It will last longer if it looked after properly. Clean Bottle tops, and air tight. Get into the habit cleaning the bottle top after every use, and polishes should be kept upright. I do not use polish thinner at all. I still have a cnd company red enamel from 2005. Works like new!

In the summer I do put them in the fridge as when they heat up they do thicken.

It will last longer if it looked after properly. Clean Bottle tops, and air tight. Get into the habit cleaning the bottle top after every use, and polishes should be kept upright. I do not use polish thinner at all. I still have a cnd company red enamel from 2005. Works like new!

Hi there,

Yes that's exactly how I keep mine and always clean the tops after each use. I'd never heard of it before but apparently it's meant to be fantastic, lol.

Nah! Evaporation will thicken them as will lack of movement. A good old shake will sort them out (if the haven't evaporated already). Look up 'thixotropic':D

In the summer I do put them in the fridge as when they heat up they do thicken.

Thats what I do Weezie in the summer as my room gets really hot - no trouble in the winter.

Nah! Evaporation will thicken them as will lack of movement. A good old shake will sort them out (if the haven't evaporated already). Look up 'thixotropic':D

Oooo another topic for me to learn :cool:

Thanks Mum. x

Thixotropy is the property of certain gels or fluids that are thick (viscous) under normal conditions, but flow (become thin, less viscous) over time when shaken, agitated, or otherwise stressed. In more technical language: some non-Newtonian pseudoplastic fluids show a time-dependent change in viscosity; the longer the fluid undergoes shear stress, the lower its viscosity. A thixotropic fluid is a fluid which takes a finite time to attain equilibrium viscosity when introduced to a step change in shear rate. However, this is not a universal definition; the term is sometimes applied to pseudoplastic fluids without a viscosity/time component. Many gels and colloids are thixotropic materials, exhibiting a stable form at rest but becoming fluid when agitated.
The distinction between a thixotropic fluid and a shear thinning fluid:
  • A thixotropic fluid displays a decrease in viscosity over time at a constant shear rate.
  • A shear thinning fluid displays decreasing viscosity with increasing shear rate.
Some fluids are anti-thixotropic: constant shear stress for a time causes an increase in viscosity or even solidification. Constant shear stress can be applied by shaking or mixing. Fluids which exhibit this property are usually called rheopectic. They are much less common.

Don't you just love "Mum" and "Geeg" ~ this is why they are the Man Utd of Nail Tech. You both just blow me away!! I learn so much everytime I come to this site! Thank you both so much for sharing your vast wealth of knowledge. x

If they are hot the solvent evaporates quicker when you open them.

Ooh Im glad I read this, because I was getting worried at the fact my house gets so hot in the summer and I was thinking my polishes would suffer. Im definatly going to try this... :D

Ooh Im glad I read this, because I was getting worried at the fact my house gets so hot in the summer and I was thinking my polishes would suffer. Im definatly going to try this... :D

Well my polishes are on a table situated next to a radiator :eek: but they are a cheap brand too (whilst i'm still at college). I am starting to invest in CND and when Shellac is out, i'll be getting that too, so there is no way i'm going to ruin those. I guess I need to keep my radiator turned off in my treatment room. I can't move the table to another position as my spare bedroom simply isn't big enough, lol.

If they are hot the solvent evaporates quicker when you open them.

General H&S guidelines state that polishes should be stored in a cool, dark place. if they are sitting in a hot place there is a chance they will shatter (happened in my salon years ago before I knew any better)

Just follow the usual guidelines that a professional should know all about.

Well i keep mine in the fridge on holiday and it keeps them runny...and when ive tried painting my nails in the garden on a hot day i definately does thicken up so yeah id say the fridge does work! x

I read in one of those "Myth" adds in Nails that this is NOT true. And Paul Bryson (head of OPI R&D) seconds that.

Last edited:
Well i keep mine in the fridge on holiday and it keeps them runny...and when ive tried painting my nails in the garden on a hot day i definately does thicken up so yeah id say the fridge does work! x

Why would you paint your nails in the garden on the sunny day? Of course they will go gloopy outside on a hot sunny day.

I have over 100 polishes, so I need to get a separate fridge for those;)

Below, Marian mentioned they should be kept airtight - so they do not evaporate. Which they would do if they are used outside, especially on a sunny day or kept open for too long.

IMHO

in the spa i used to work in, we used to used jessica and they used to store the nail polishes in the fridge! they were always runny but dont know wether this had anything to do with them been kept in the fridge or not. xx

"I read in one of those "Myth" adds in Nails that this is NOT true. And Paul Bryson (head of OPI R&D) seconds that"

I do? Okay, remind me what I said in Nails, I'll be happy to confirm or clarify.

Paul

"I read in one of those "Myth" adds in Nails that this is NOT true. And Paul Bryson (head of OPI R&D) seconds that"

I do? Okay, remind me what I said in Nails, I'll be happy to confirm or clarify.

Paul

I don't think you quoted that in Nails, maybe it was on BT, but then again, it could have been Doug Schoon. Not sure, but I thought it was you! The one in Nails was one of those 'myth' adds.

Polishes are not all the same formulation.

Keep your PROFESSIONAL polishes as all professionals are advised to do; out of the direct sunlight and in an ambient temperature ... lids tight when not in use and apply your polish like a pro ... quickly and efficiently so the bottle you are using is not open for too long.

In all my professional life I never kept a CND polish in the fridge! Never needed to. Make sure your polish is a good brand and if it is thixotropic then that definitely helps them to keep longer on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back