First ever set of hollywood toes (Brisa gel toes)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is my first ever set of Hollywood toes i.e Brisa gel toes. These were done for my mum, i was eager to try it out as i completed my brisa gel course today.

(I know there is some white bits on the skin i have corrected this now)

Some honest opinions would be great :green::hug:

for yours first go they are ok..well done

i would trim the length of the toe nails down to be honest cos they are too long and with the gel on can cause some damage if banged or even just rubbing in shoes....this can result in the toe nails going black and eventually falling off from the pressure of the nail on the inside of the shoe...

Gel on the skin can cause lifting but i am sure you covered that in your training.

Also a foot scrub first to remove any stains/discolouring can make a big difference.

Smile lines on toes do tend to be straighter than on fingers...and will come with practise.

Last edited:
for yours first go they are ok..well done

i would trim the length of the toe nails down to be honest cos they are too long and with the gel on can cause some damage if banged or even just rubbing in shoes....this can result in the toe nails going black and eventually falling off from the pressure of the nail on the inside of the shoe...

Gel on the skin can cause lifting but i am sure you covered that in your training.

Also a foot scrub first to remove any stains/discolouring can make a bug difference.

Smile lines on toes do tend to be straighter than on fingers...and will come with practise.

Yes i did advise my mum to let me cut her toe nails but she would not let me at all for some weird reason she doesnt like other people cutting her toe nails.
:hug:

As your first set they are ok a little uneven on the smiles but I am sure you know practise makes perfect, in my opinion they could have been shortened as they were a little long especially the big toe nails, I would also have buffed the nails first as they look a bit yellow on some as you say you have since tidied up the free edges as they do look a bit rough and uneven. Hope that you are not offended by my comments, just being honest as you have asked us to be, just keep practising. :hug:

Yes i did advise my mum to let me cut her toe nails but she would not let me at all for some weird reason she doesn't like other people cutting her toe nails.
:hug:

fair enough its your mum but in time you will be offering these services to a client...and if they all say no i want them long thats alot of black toe nails you'll end up with....what i am trying to say is this...you are the professional...learn why we have to do things a certain way and strongly advise that they take your proffesional advise and why....i am sure given the information about toe nails going black and dropping off from being too long and rubbing on shoes will soon change their mind.

Start to be a little more forceful now and you will find it easier in the future with "real" clients.

fair enough its your mum but in time you will be offering these services to a client...and if they all say no i want them long thats alot of black toe nails you'll end up with....what i am trying to say is this...you are the professional...learn why we have to do things a certain way and strongly advise that they take your proffesional advise and why....i am sure given the information about toe nails going black and dropping off from being too long and rubbing on shoes will soon change their mind.

Start to be a little more forceful now and you will find it easier in the future with "real" clients.

Yes very true. I do try my best to advise my clients & family as best but i supose where she is my mum she tends to want to tell me what to do rather than me tell her lol.

I agree i do need to be more forceful.xx

I would also have made the white a bit thicker.. (not in product but in look)..

Take the length back as Bagpuss said and make the effect more dramatic.. On toes its not somuch about balance and shape, its about making them look clean sharp and pretty.

The best way to judge is to go for the 1/4 white, 3 1/4's pink or clear on toes.. you want to really seethe effect.

Hi Just one thing I would mention, even though they were done on your Mum did you clean her feet before you started? Even my clients who arent having a soak, I wash them thoroughly with anti bacterial wipes. I would definitely make them shorter and I would also buff the nail bed to try and remove stains before doing the french on her.
I apply my white with a nail art tool instead of a brush and then just give a tidy up using a smile line brush.
Karen

Good effort hun, first thing thats does stand out is the nails as they are discoloured i always use a radiant pink for toes and also as has been said o apply the white with a dotting tool it really is so much easier.

Well done and keep practising xx

Ok I am being brutal here, I don't think they look great at all. Sorry truth!

Before you do these on clients you need to assess the toes and do what you have to do to ENHANCE.

To me these look like you have done the necessary without thinking outside the box, and that is meant in the best possible way. :hug:

Violet Star said:
Some honest opinions would be great
Well done for posting your first set of Brisa toenails.
I'm going to answer honestly as that's what you've asked for...

There doesn't seem to have been much prep done prior to application, there's what looks like pinky/purple enamel on the nail plate of some. Exfoliation and moisturising needs to be done, especially around the edge of the toes, this will remove the hard skin and make the 'finished look' a lot neater. You need to concentrate on sidewall prep and trying to get rid of the yellowing on the nails. Using a dotting tool to apply the POW will make the job a lot easier and neater.

With 2-3 regular pedicures those feet would look transformed, if you do that and then redo the Brisa and take another pic to compare you'll see a huge transformation and they will look a lot better :green:

I'm sad to say that I cannot comment favorably on any aspect of these nails.

They neither do you nor the beautiful Brisa product any credit.

I would say they were the product of someone who is VERY new at nails and then converted to a product before she had even begun to master the art of nail enhancement.

My suggestion is some quality 121 time with a Creative educator to learn how to really do the job and art of nail enhancement.

I apologise if you find these comments harsh sounding but sometimes the truth has to be told as unpleasant as that truth may be.

I didnt actually do the full pedicure i.e exfoliation etc she wouldnt let me.

I do agree i could have done a better job but ill keep practiceing x

I didnt actually do the full pedicure i.e exfoliation etc she wouldnt let me.

I do agree i could have done a better job but ill keep practiceing x

That's the way.. don't get disheartened, get your hands on someones feet who will let you do what you want and use what you have learned!!

can't wait to see what you do. x

I think the above post is right...get ahold of a model that you are allowed to do whatever you need to do to get the feet in top condition. Shouldn't be hard to find someone who would want a free pedi service! I probably would not have posted a photo of unclean, untrimmed toes in close up. Not too appetizing, if you ask me lol. Not your fault, as it sounds. But like I said, find a new model and repost after doing what YOU want...that will do your work much better justice.

P.S. I'd tell my mother she's not helping me learn and grow if she won't allow me to practice and do my job. :p

Please takle the above critique in a positive way. When I first started in the nail industry, I too received some harsh critique. We have all been there.

All I can add to the previous comments are that no matter who you work on be it your best friend, your Mum or a client, they are ALL adverts of your work. If someone won't let you work to the standard you aspire to, do not use them as a model.

Keep up the good work! x:hug:

Latest posts

Back