Geeky bookclub?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

October Book Of the Month

• The Outsiders

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • A Town Like Alice

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • The Ladykillers

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

littlegrohl

Reaction score
hello all..

well as the title says i was just wondering if anyone wanted to start a bookclub?

I have zero life outside of work at the moment.. and my nights are spent at home as i have young kids..

I love books and think that talking about books is fun!

so....

my idea is this.. everyone who wants in the club nominates a book.. say we get six people, thats six books.. we get a list of the six books we want to read, and every book gets a month.

I have a read so many books.. and i would love to read a book i have not read and would not normaly pick up.. but if we have read any of the suggested books we can always read them again..

I know we live in a technical age.. but books are special and deserve to be not only read but discussed..

So if you want in.. put your hand up and submit a book.. we will get a list happening.. and then start in October.

I know a month is a long time to read one book.. but that way everyone who probably like me gets no real down time has plenty of chance to read it.

Im a little scared that you will all think me dorky.. and that no one will want to do this, and if thats the case no worries.. just throwing it out there and seeing what floats so to speak!

Have a think about it..
x

**HERE IS THE LIST SO FAR..REMEMBER TO GIVE ME A TITLE AND AUTHOR**- if i have missed yours let me know..

Nevil Shute - A town like Alice
Stephen Dobyns - The Church of Dead Girls
Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones
Alice Walker -The colour purple
Sebastian Faulkes - Birdsong
Martina Cole - Lady Killer
Ian McEwan -Enduring Love
John Grisham's - The Appeal
Martina Cole - The Runaway
Torey Hayden - One Child
Susan Hill - The Woman in Black
Chris Mooney - The Missing
Tess Gerritsen - Vanish
S E Hinton- The Outsiders (*drools* Stay gold pony boy..Stay gold!)
Katherine Kerr -Daggerspell
Khalid Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns
Dean Koontz - Intensity
Iain Banks - Wasp Factory
Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Last edited:
I love books too. i dont have as much time for reading these days as I used to but i still pick them up early in the morning and read for an hour or so before the day starts.

I'm thinking of which book I'd like to nominate. I love all the forensic/crime books. I have all the Patricia Cornwall collection, james patterson, martina cole, Kathy Reichs are brill authors.

Will get back to you with one later xxx

I think this is a fab idea !
(yayyyyyy Chels is back !!! :hug:)

Now I don't read a lot of books .....BUT, My kids have millions that they have read...
A kids "swap book" sounds good too...

Great idea, I'd like to suggest a book by an author who has been largely forgotten but his books are always good to read.

Nevil Shute - A town like Alice

Though if others have read it or it doesn't appeal, I'll go with the flow

my one indulgence is reading, and I can read a book in a day (over the weekend or when I'm on holiday).

please let me join.

FAB idea i read loads of books i could recommend loads...... i will have a quick look back and see which ones to put on your list xxx

Oooh I love books!

Okay I'm going to nominate one of my favourite books that hardly anyone has read:

'The Church of Dead Girls' by Stephen Dobyns it's a thriller type but really good.

The sad thing is though that I think they've brought out a newer version which removes some of the controversial lines or so I've heard I have the original so I dunno xxx

Maybe we could make a book club social group and discuss the books we read on there and make posting rather than trawling through this thread???

well, we need to decide a book and a start date, and perhaps start a social group to discuss this.

Great idea!
If you're a dork, then so am I!

Here's a very unusual book.....

'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold
It's not my usual read, but very un-putdownable!

I read James Herbert/Stephen King/Jilly Cooper/John Grisham....

We could also post out our read books to other geeks?

BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!

Possibly it will need to be in a group though, but I am sure the Mods will keep us right. :smack:
Personally I think it would be better in the main forums then every one worlwide will get great recommendations , or not!! for books to read.
I am excited about this already!
Ok I was on holiday for 2 weeks there, (so you read more), but I read 7 books, and since I have been home I have read another 3!!! I wouldn't give them all good reviews though! ;)
One of my favourite books that I could read again, and do every so often is 'The colour purple' by Alice Walker, and it would be my first recomendation....Oh or maybe Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes......
This is going to be great Chels!!

in sing song voice: Chelsea is a dork. pmsl. But then you know I am aswell. :hug:
I'm in.
Love Science fantasy books. I love the Katherine Kerr Deverry series.
Also like a good horror, mystery etc.
And chels you know I love S E Hinton.

One of my favourite books that I could read again, and do every so often is 'The colour purple' by Alice Walker, and it would be my first recomendation

One of my faves too, such a moving story, I cry everytime I see the film xx

OK one of my many favourite books has to be "Lady Killer" by Martina Cole. Story of a married middle aged man, who starts off as a peeping tom and turns into a killer. Bit gruesome in places but the story is fantastic, it is a suspense, mystery, romantic (honestly) and an all round good read x

I LOVE Martina Cole, Two Women is my absolute favourite.
I also love chick lit books, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green & Adele Parks
Count me in
Woohoo not only am I a GEEK but Im not also a DORK!!!!
:biggrin:

Chels this is a fantastic idea. Literature is one of my biggest passions, hence why I'm a writer, and (at risk of sounding like Golum) books are my precious things.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease can I join!!!!!!

Oh or maybe Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes......

This is a fantastic novel, well worth a read.

My nomination is Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.

I LOVE Martina Cole, Two Women is my absolute favourite.
I also love chick lit books, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green & Adele Parks
Count me in
Woohoo not only am I a GEEK but Im not also a DORK!!!!
:biggrin:

lol, I could have written that myself, I normally have 2 books on the go at once, 1 serious and 1 chick lit!!

Fabulous idea daarlin!!! :p I love books and will read anything.

My nomination is John Grisham's new one, 'The Appeal'.

I LURVE books. Cant get enough I always have my head in a book. Like a few of the others I love Martina Cole, she writes them so well a few I have cried at and a couple felt physically sick but I can never put them down.
I also enjoy, stephen king , james patterson, Lee child, michael connely patricia cornwell, karin slaughter, lisa gardner and harlen coben.
I highly recomend The Runaway by Martina Cole.
Great idea Chels hunni welcome back see why we missed ya:hug:
Jen xx

Awesome !! I love to read but consider it a real luxury. I only have two weeks holiday a year and as soon as I book the flights I go purchase a couple of books.

I used to sometimes manage to get a bit of reading in the evenings but now spend that time geeking here. Will watch with interest for recomendations and reviews.

wow!!! I am so happy!!!!

I figured this would either go one way or the other!.. im glad it went this way!!!

I love different perspectives on books.. and the books mentioned sound BRILLIANT!!
Look out Oprahs book club.. geek Book Club is taking over!!

we need to work out the best way to go about it.. is a group better then the forum.. i like the idea of it being here.. but then im not so used to the groups..

and remember you dont have to buy books.. just get a library card!

I have been trying to think of a book i could nominate.. but as with movies and bands i can never settle on one..

i like also, the thought of all us geeks reading the same book.. global readathon!

I love the classics.. so i may throw one or two in the mix.. but then i love a good sci-fantasy.. and and chick lit.. but for a tuck-in-blankie-on-lap-fest nothing beats a Thriller!!!

I am going to list the books recommended in my first post and then we can decide which to read first.. that sounds good untill we work out where we will "meet"!

OOOoooo i am excited.. hope i find a book i never thought i would read!

Latest posts

Back