Geeky bookclub?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

October Book Of the Month

• The Outsiders

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • A Town Like Alice

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • The Ladykillers

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to recommend 2 books:

One Child by Torey Hayden - about the relationship between an emotionally disturbed child and her special needs teacher - Its an excellent book but harrowing in parts.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill - the best ghost story I've ever read.

Great thread btw

Wow, this is great - Does anyone else get really excited when you've read a book review in something like "Heat magazine and cannot wait once you've ordered it to sit down and start it???!!!

I am going to look up some of the recommendations on "Amazon" which is where I buy most of mine and possibly order... quite a few by the looks of it.

My favourites are:

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT - SOORRY, NO AUTHOR, BUT DO A SEARCH AND IT WILL DEFIANTELY BE THERE

ANYTHING BY "ADELE PARKS"

SOPHIE KINSELLA - LIGHT HEARTED READS

I am going to raid my book case at home as there are SO many good books.

Right, now for my Amazon order!!!

Carly x

i love books but am more into the real life storys , but am up for trying something new :p

I defo think a social group is the way to go for this one maybe one of the premiums can whip something up.

We could post a pic in the group at the start of each month showing the book cover then everyone knows what book we should be reading and we can discuss in the group,

or even at the end of the reading month arrange a day/time and all go on the chat room to have a proper chit chat about the book like a real book club!

It could be brill, sorry I got a bit carried away there x

Ooh I love reading books haven't had much time lately, or maybe not cleared time!lol
Anything by James Patterson I would recommend, I will have to re-new my library card as I've lost it!:rolleyes:

If we stay in the forums we could use the 'poll' facility to decide on the next book, if you put all the nominated books into a hat each month and pull out however many options you are allowed on a poll, and so on???

Just a suggestion, if you've got the time to be 'Head Bookie'!

(That's if we are allowed of course,:eek:)

I'm sure we all trust Chels to pick the first book, being as it was her idea (I can just see you now, It's ok babe, don't thank me....lol:Scared:)

I always have a book on the go so I'm in!:green:
At the moment I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khalid Hosseini, totally gripping just like his first book 'The Kite Runner'.

Woooooo WICKED IDEA CHELS!! Me me me I want to join!!

Any book by Torey Hayden, they are big favourites, and also for a very lighthearted belly laugh read....Peter Kays biography!!!:biggrin:

Hey , great idea, . I love reading too. Have just finished a thriller by Dean Koontz called Intensity, which I couldnt put down, But I like a wide range of genres so looking forward to that list.

This is a great idea chels, I would like to join in the group.
I would like to nominate The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson.

I'd love to take part. I'm very into Iain Banks at the moment, Wasp Factory was amazing, very strange but utterly gripping and I'm currently reading Dead Air.

Great idea Chels :hug:

I did read all the replies but if I missed how this is going to work just slap me and fill me in, I'm not well so not functioning on all cylinders :lol:

Oh, me too, please! I've not heard of any of these books, but I'm willing to give anything a go!

I've just finished Peony in Love by Lisa See. It's a historical fiction with a fantastic twist to it. Am currently obsessed with the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer... Purple Hibiscus will be a good read for those who said they like The Color Purple.

Woo! Very excited!

Brilliant idea, I have so many books, my nomination would be By Reason of insanity by Shane Stevens, brilliant crime/thiller with a lot of twists in it to keep you guessing.

I'd love to take part. I'm very into Iain Banks at the moment, Wasp Factory was amazing, very strange but utterly gripping and

That is one very weird book. Brilliant, but weird! :eek:

hi had a think i have read all of Tory Haden books they are all great but one of my favs is Angels and demons by Dan Brown its FAB i read it in the bath at half four in the morning it was so good and the film is being made and as we all know the books are so much better !!!

What a lovely idea, thank you! I'd love to be included :biggrin:. I also love Harlen Coben and anything else "meaty". Don't mind chick flicks on holidays. Angels and Demons is also my favourite Dan Brown x

If we stay in the forums we could use the 'poll' facility to decide on the next book, if you put all the nominated books into a hat each month and pull out however many options you are allowed on a poll, and so on???

Just a suggestion, if you've got the time to be 'Head Bookie'!

(That's if we are allowed of course,:eek:)

I'm sure we all trust Chels to pick the first book, being as it was her idea (I can just see you now, It's ok babe, don't thank me....lol:Scared:)

This is along the lines as what i was thinking too.. im going to pm a mod and see if we can and then do a poll.. i aint picking the first book.. i have a warped sense of humour and may choose wrong! lets vote!!

but first.. lets get the OK!

**HERE IS THE LIST SO FAR..REMEMBER TO GIVE ME A TITLE AND AUTHOR**

Nevil Shute - A town like Alice
Stephen Dobyns - The Church of Dead Girls
Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones
Alice Walker -The colour purple
Sebastian Faulkes - Birdsong
Martina Cole - Lady Killer
Ian McEwan -Enduring Love
John Grisham's - The Appeal
Martina Cole - The Runaway
Torey Hayden - One Child
Susan Hill - The Woman in Black

Torey Hayden is a fab author, so is Martina Cole. I will join in, but can I do certain months.... ie, if I own the book of the month as I have absolutely no spare cash to buy them at the moment and I usually forget to take library books back! :eek: Sorry if I sound really Lame! x

I recommend:

Chris Mooney - The Missing (Author Chris Mooney)

Tess Gerritsen - Vanish (Tess Gerritsen: Vanish)

Last edited:
Torey Hayden is a fab author, so is Martina Cole. I will join in, but can I do certain months.... ie, if I own the book of the month as I have absolutely no spare cash to buy them at the moment and I usually forget to take library books back! :eek: Sorry if I sound really Lame! x
Mate thats fine.. just join in if you like the book and want to read it!
I dont know what other countries/states/towns do, but we can take a whole load of books to our shop and swap them.. good for old books you wont read again.. usualy i can get two or three ones i want by taking a box in.. some i cant give up though..

i have contacted a mod and will get back to everyone with the set up.. but remember.. this is not a test or a big deal.. just the chance to read.. discuss.. even suprise ourselves!

Mate thats fine.. just join in if you like the book and want to read it!
I dont know what other countries/states/towns do, but we can take a whole load of books to our shop and swap them.. good for old books you wont read again.. usualy i can get two or three ones i want by taking a box in.. some i cant give up though..

i have contacted a mod and will get back to everyone with the set up.. but remember.. this is not a test or a big deal.. just the chance to read.. discuss.. even suprise ourselves!

Awesome, thanks. I love books, I edited and added a recommended book or 2 :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back