Getting my tongue pierced

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkynails

Reaction score
Hiya everyone,

Going to get my tongue pierced on saturday. cant wait. Was going to get it done bout 5 years ago but wimped out an got a tattoo instead but recon that would have hurt more than gettin my tongue done!
Have thought bout it on an off since then and finally plucked up the courage to get it done. done all my research this time.
Anyone on hear got any advice to help the swelling once ive had it done and what you think of yours.

x

Suck on ice pops, eat and drink normally.

I had to have my bar changed after 4 days, as there wasn't any swelling at all.

It doesn't hurt, well I didn't think so anyway and I've had it done twice now, 1st time with numbing spray, and 2nd time without, as they're not allowed to use the spray anymore.

Good luck x

thats quick gettin it changed after 4 days. hope am that lucky. my friend had to wait 2wks to get hers changed to the smaller bar.

So you can eat normally. Ive heard loads saying you have to stay on soups an liquids for the week after
x

Like has been said plenty of ice lollies and you will be fine and be able to eat,
i munched my sunday dinner the next day,

word of warning though,
get some dental insurance because the stud will remove loads of enamel from the inside of your bottom teeth and leave them sensitive and looking not very nice hth :hug:

Please be careful tho, I agree they look nice but a friend of mine had a bad experience with hers where it swelled so much she had difficulty breathing and it was VERY scary.

Definetly take the dental insurance advice tho, its so easy to 'play' around with the bar in your mouth and enamel and metal are not the best of friends iykwim lol
xx

would plastic balls on the bar still do as much damage?

also thanks for all the quick replies
x

why do you want this done - please think about it carefully:eek:

Please be careful tho, I agree they look nice but a friend of mine had a bad experience with hers where it swelled so much she had difficulty breathing and it was VERY scary.

Definetly take the dental insurance advice tho, its so easy to 'play' around with the bar in your mouth and enamel and metal are not the best of friends iykwim lol
xx

that does sound scary about your friend, was she ok in the end?
x

I love mine now its healed but for a couple weeks after mine was done I couldn't eat a whole meal before the discomfort got to me and I had to stop. That was despite sucking ice. I took paracetemol for the first week every morning when I woke up too which considering my high pain threshold probably says a lot. Its not common to have that much pain but I certainly did.

The plastic balls hurt less should you crunch one but they also come off more easily in my experience and I had a nightmare night out where the top ball came off and I didn't have a spare. I vowed if I had to take it out if I couldn't find the spare at home no way was I having it done again :lol:

I have a titanium one on again now with a blue sparkly in it and I have spares in my handbag, purse and bedroom :lol:

why do you want this done - please think about it carefully:eek:

i love all my piercings and my tattoo. Im really into things like that and I have always liked the tongue piercing.

I want it for myself, another thing I want to try in life and not have regrets about not doing it

I love mine now its healed but for a couple weeks after mine was done I couldn't eat a whole meal before the discomfort got to me and I had to stop. That was despite sucking ice. I took paracetemol for the first week every morning when I woke up too which considering my high pain threshold probably says a lot. Its not common to have that much pain but I certainly did.

The plastic balls hurt less should you crunch one but they also come off more easily in my experience and I had a nightmare night out where the top ball came off and I didn't have a spare. I vowed if I had to take it out if I couldn't find the spare at home no way was I having it done again :lol:

I have a titanium one on again now with a blue sparkly in it and I have spares in my handbag, purse and bedroom :lol:

Hey thats a good idea keeping spares in your handbag and purse haha I was lookin at a black titanium one the other day with a clear sparkly in it.
i wont try the plastic balls if they come off easy :lol:

Mine stayed on for a while but I had to tighten it gently a lot and when you realise there seems more bar than there should be (which I can tell if a ball is working loose). There's nothing stylish about thinking you can do that quick in Sainsbury's car park while no ones around and then realise some one is peering at you with the most horrified expression because you didn't notice them go past to their car. :lol:

Mine has closed now as I don't wear it anymore, but I do remember getting it done. I actually found that the pulling of your tongue out of your mouth was more painful than the actual piercing. Probably redirected pain, but I was focusing so much on that I didn't feel the needle, so that was pretty good!
Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

I had mine done about 5 yrs ago and it did hurt only for a split second but it hurt. I ended up taking it out after a few months as it was more trouble than it was worth. Thats just me though, everyone has their own opinions. I know a few girls who have had it done and kept it in for years.

I think it depends on where it is positioned as to wether it rubs your teeth or not. as mine is no where near the back of my teeth!! lol.

i have a plastic ball on the bottom, its never come off. but i have a metal ball on the top.

i never had any problems, was a bit uncomfortable afterwards, but i dont think i had trouble eating... i dont think anything could stop me eating!! lol.

i love all my piercings and my tattoo. Im really into things like that and I have always liked the tongue piercing.

I want it for myself, another thing I want to try in life and not have regrets about not doing it[/quot

Good on you, one of my favourite tattoos on myself is the one that says "No Regrets" :green:

My other half had hers done, she said it didnt hurt anywhere near as much as what she expected it to, and she managed to eat a slice of pizza 4 hours later too!! She the worst thing was then she tried to eat noodles two days later, all the noodles wrapped around it and she felt queasy!! LOL And that when she had the bar changed that was a little uncomfortable! But otherwise no problems..

Let us know how it goes!!

I think it depends on where it is positioned as to wether it rubs your teeth or not. as mine is no where near the back of my teeth!! lol.

i have a plastic ball on the bottom, its never come off. but i have a metal ball on the top.

i never had any problems, was a bit uncomfortable afterwards, but i dont think i had trouble eating... i dont think anything could stop me eating!! lol.

Mine doesn't rub my teeth either but when I first swapped my long bar out for a shorter one I managed to cross the threads on the bottom ball and had to charge to a piercer to get it sorted. She put a really little one on that is so comfy, for days I was paranoid it had gone and kept checking by hooking it on my bottom teeth to make sure it was there.

My other half had hers done, she said it didnt hurt anywhere near as much as what she expected it to, and she managed to eat a slice of pizza 4 hours later too!! She the worst thing was then she tried to eat noodles two days later, all the noodles wrapped around it and she felt queasy!! LOL And that when she had the bar changed that was a little uncomfortable! But otherwise no problems..

Let us know how it goes!!

lmao I had the exact same thing and went into an absolute panic because I'd half swallowed but obviously as it was tangled on the bar it wasn't going anywhere. I can laugh now but at the time it scared the heck out of me. Hence the one thing I would say is be careful what you eat early on.

Here's a question, as we are here. What length of bar does every one have? Mine is a 12mm but it has loads of room, wasn't sure if I should go shorter.

Hi
Drink plennnnty of water (very important),
your tongue will de-hydrate quite a bit, & that will cause more swelling.

The ideal medicine to take for swelling & pain control is Ibuprofen.
If you are not allergic to ibuprofen, take them max safe dose, prob every moring & evening for a few days.

Try not to talk too much or go sticking your tongue out at folk for a few days (lol), this will help control swelling a lot.

Eat lots of soup/ice-cream & easy stuff
(avoid noodles...they'll wrap round the bar, lol, avoid spicy & acidic foods for at least a week, very uncomfortable).

The first week is the worst, but if you treat them well, tongues tend to heal super-fast.

Sorry about the essay :rolleyes:

Good Luck :hug:

edit: Just spotted the tooth discussion above,
its does depend on where the bar is placed.

I tend to pierce the tongue quite far back to avoid any tooth damage, & it works 100% (once the mega-long first bar has been changed...)
When I myself fist had my tonge done, it was very close to the tip, & used to clack on my teeth,

so I re-pierced it a while ago, much further back, & its been lovely ever since.

(thanx for the edit NN!)

Last edited:
hey ive got mine done had it done since i was about 15 and now im 20 lol it only felt like a little pin prick to me there was no numbing of the area either jus clamped then pushed the needle through...had to wear a massive tongue bar for about a week i think then i changed it myself to a smaller one....jus eat ice cream and let it melt in your mouth the only good advice i can give you wouldnt try eating too much solid food as it might pull on the tongue bar as i fount out ordering myself a chinese on the same day i had it done lol stupid me!

x

Latest posts

Back