GMTV and DIY nail art!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Well if anything would make me run to a salon for a professional nail service, it would be the horrific DIY nails shown on GMTV this morning.

Did anyone watch it??

First they showed a celebrity photo wearing some nail art and then how to do it at home yourself. Then each model did her own nails with the 'techniques' shown.

The RESULTS??? Horrendous. Absolutely horrific.

They showed the 'back flip' or Laboutin nail ..... polish all over the fingers

They showed a French with half moon and free edge in white and the nail bed purple .... revolting

Finally they showed lace placed over the base coat and then a top coat added .... lord you had to see it to see how ugly they looked.

What they should have done in my opinion is to show the same things done by a professional!!

Why do they put these things on telly??? Would they show consumers how to do thier own tatoos????

The producer rang yesterday to ask if they could show Minx applied with a hair drier????? Could they have a load of Minx sent to the show etc. They were told that Minx was a professional salon service and not for clients to do at home. I'm so glad Sweet Squared took that stand. Can't imagine the mess they would have made of Minx.

Last edited:
Was it the ones on the "This Morning show"?

If so I thought they looked awful and agree if it does one thing is that it will make people come running to the professionals to have them done.

I saw it! It really was dreadful, they looked cheap, nasty and a mess. It would have been nice to see them done professionally. I cant see how that is going to make anyone want to try it!! I think i painted better nails when i was a child playing with my "tinkerbell" brand for kids lol!!
Interestingly i saw Leighton Denny on QVC earlier and he did a half moon too, is this a new trend we should anticipate clients asking for?

Last edited:
Ha Ha it was very funny and disgusting at the same time dont know how they can show such rubbish and expect people to copy them.

I have just seen on This Morning "Louboutin Nails" the nails were painted black and the underneath painted red to echo the famous Christian Louboutins!
I think they looked really good, I can see this trend being quite popular.
Did anyone see it?
What do you think?

Love Emma x:hug:x

I have just seen on This Morning "Louboutin Nails" the nails were painted black and the underneath painted red to echo the famous Christian Louboutins!
Did anyone see it?
What do you think?

Well I thought they looked absolutely horrendous and obviously not done by a professional..

The idea is not new. Technicians have been doing what we call the 'back flip' (one colour on the top and another underneath) for years aND YEARS. It has never cauht on as a trend but isw used form time to time.

If you look, the GMTV show is discussed in another thread just below this one.

I saw it! It really was dreadful, they looked cheap, nasty and a mess. It would have been nice to see them done professionally. I cant see how that is going to make anyone want to try it!! I think i painted better nails when i was a child playing with my "tinkerbell" brand for kids lol!!
Interestingly i saw Leighton Denny on QVC earlier and he did a half moon too, is this a new trend we should anticipate clients asking for?

For years I have had clients request for me to leave the half moon unpainted .... there is nothing new about this technique.

Things just go round and round. I think nail techs should be prepared to do anything they are asked to do.

Did anyone see it?
What do you think?

Hi Emma

I saw it and thought the nails on "Christian Louboutins" looked fab but the nails on the DIY models were hideous.

:)

I couldn't beleive what I was actually watching and that it was given air time!:lol:
x

I never get to watch this morning....looked on the site...cant find any clips...:(

Well I thought they looked absolutely horrendous and obviously not done by a professional..

The idea is not new. Technicians have been doing what we call the 'back flip' (one colour on the top and another underneath) for years aND YEARS. It has never cauht on as a trend but isw used form time to time.

If you look, the GMTV show is discussed in another thread just below this one.

I know the idea is not new!
Maybe it never caught on before but maybe advertising it as "Louboutin Nails" may catch on, maybe not!
Yes I did see your thread you wrote about the GMTV show and I am aware it is being discussed in another thread:rolleyes:, but I was just interested in the Louboutin nails!

Yes, i saw this too. Geeg is not exagerating at all. I could'nt believe what i was watching, AND how confident was the presenter! I think a visit to specsavers is in order!!!

Hey Emma, i didnt see but would love a look, you dont have a link by any chance?? I cant find anything online!

I knew there would be a thread on here as soon as I saw this this morning!! Couldn't believe how bad they were & they were almost talking as if those nails were acceptable, there was absolutely NO comparison to the celebrities nails they were trying to imitate! Quite shocking tbh that they can promote these sorts of things as a DIY service! :eek:

I think the "Christian Louboutins" nails were fab but the copied DIY were a disgrace.

Well the idea of calling them louboutin-nails is not new either, but it always helps if it looks pro and not as DIY:green:

Leighton Denny has been doing this for a while - worryingly, he had a DIY half moon manicure step by step in the sun a while back. I love the look of it, but I feel like nail philistines will ask me if I've "missed a bit" or my nails are chipped! :eek:

Leighton Denny has been doing this for a while - worryingly, he had a DIY half moon manicure step by step in the sun a while back. I love the look of it, but I feel like nail philistines will ask me if I've "missed a bit" or my nails are chipped! :eek:

:lol: they might!!

The half moon look is rather like the French look in reverse; it only looks good on long slim nail beds otherwise it looks horrendous. They were painting like this in the 1920's (not that I remember it personally lol).

Some techs are clever at picking up something old and revamping it to give themselves an 'edge'. Good on em. We all have to keep up with what is going on. I'd say be prepared to do it.

Yes, i saw this too. Geeg is not exagerating at all. I could'nt believe what i was watching, AND how confident was the presenter! I think a visit to specsavers is in order!!!

I agree ....OMG!! I am speechless!!!... (for once:lol:)

Sue x

Latest posts

Back