Grammar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, so i may not use 'you' in place of 'u' and i dont do caps or apostrophe's, paragraphs i do try to use, for others ease of reading my posts (which are always quite short, anyway,lol)
But what does annoy me, is the spelling mistake for nail biters..bitters is used.:grr: and pretty constantly...IMO anything that is spelt incorrectly, nail related, says to me the tech is a bit behind the 8ball.
I may sound hypocritical, in that i dont bother with the fore mentioned grammatical caps etc, but i am educated (top of my year for english). I just follow where i can the text speak, to save time. Misspelling anything nail related, though, no way.

I'm afraid this does 'get my goat' too!
Its really offputting when you read posts with the wrong spelling.
My real bug-bear is the miss-use of common words:
(infact I've just had to re-read a post 3 times to get the gist of the message!)

The usual culprits are spelling correctly - but using the wrong word!
eg. There..... Their.......They're
Where...... wear....We're
Too......Two......To
Your.....you're
Here......hear
Absolute BASIC grammar - I think it's really lazy, although texting is'nt helping people practise good english.

Also, please use paragraphs to separate your posts. ( Just to break up your points), it makes reading much easier. I don't think anyone is going to read a great block of text!

By golly I feel better for that!!!!!

I haven't posted on here for ages because I get so fed up trying to decipher what people are trying to say.

ok, so i may not use 'you' in place of 'u' and i dont do caps or apostrophe's, paragraphs i do try to use, for others ease of reading my posts (which are always quite short, anyway,lol)
But what does annoy me, is the spelling mistake for nail biters..bitters is used.:grr: and pretty constantly...IMO anything that is spelt incorrectly, nail related, says to me the tech is a bit behind the 8ball.
I may sound hypocritical, in that i dont bother with the fore mentioned grammatical caps etc, but i am educated (top of my year for english). I just follow where i can the text speak, to save time. Misspelling anything nail related, though, no way.

Well We do ask that text speak NOT be used on the site ... so maybe you could make the effort that we are asking for?? Thanks.

What a great thread!
I love following a good one like this because it shows all our individual personality traits, and I often find myself nodding in agreement over many different points.
So ok my hand is up I'm sorry. I promise to try to stop getting so carried away when I answer something that I forget to paragraph :smack:
I have dreadful spelling, in fact its so bad that sometimes the spell checker can't make out what I am trying to spell and I have to, either, ask the family or, change the sentence to be able to use a different word:irked:
I try because I love the fact that this site is global and if we don't try and keep a good level of standard English, we will loose some of our lovely geeks.
We will be the poorer for loosing their expertise and cultural out look on life.
That would be a shame.
Text speak:) In a pm, or a blog, not a problem, I'll take the time to figure it out, but on a thread, no sorry, I move on.
Do I think it shows some one lacks intelligence?
Only in myself. When I can't get it right and neither can the spell checker, I always think 'god I'm thick'
In someone else, no, so long as I can read it, it doesn't bother me and I would never judge, but :lol: I do think that if you practice getting it right, where ever you write or speak, then when its important, like a job application, you are more likely to get it right and thats when it is important and the better the job pays the more important it is.

Is there a word for your intrest...you know like train spotter etc :lol:
Etymology is the study of the origin of words - where they come from and how they're made etc.
An etymologist is a person who studies etymology.
So, maybe an etymology interest-ologist?? :green:

Etymology is the study of the origin of words - where they come from and how they're made etc.
An etymologist is a person who studies etymology.
So, maybe an etymology interest-ologist?? :green:

Great...thanks for that...better make a note in my spelling book for future refrence...mmmm now how do you spell etymology again??? :):)

Hi , I just wanted other peoples views on the matter of spelling and grammar .

I just wondered if people classed others as being a bit dim if their spelling and grammar was not entirely correct ?

I love the way some people have that natural gift,
( like dare I say ? Victoria ) has a beautiful interesting flow with grammatically correct written posts and threads ,

So here is my question;
do other people see people as less intelligent if they find it difficult to be grammatically correct ?

Thank you in advance x .

:o I'm so flattered!! THANKS!

First let me point out though... a VERY long time ago... I was flunking out in english. My father made me spend my summer improving it. On a daily basis, I had to read stories and write book reports.
By the end of the summer, I had begun to enjoy writing... and later it became a 'pass-time'.

Now, in answer to your question.
I will confess, I am a walking dictionary and I literally STRUGGLE not to correct people's spelling errors or grammar faux-pas's. Because writing is (or rather was, as I haven't the time anymore) a passion of mine, it's hard for me to sit idly by when there's a huge error slapping me in the face.
Like the word "congratulations". I often see it "congraDulations" which drives me absolutely mad:lol:.

I am by no means perfect, and make all sorts of errors myself (although, usually when I'm tired haha or my nails are too short so I make a type-o).:lol:

For the most part, I do NOT judge people by the written word (for the MOST part) as usually on forums, people are pressed by for time and not everyone can type as fast as I can, so they try to compress their ideas or messages.

BUT sometimes I see a post............. that screams at me with an inordinate amount of errors - both spelling and grammar - that makes me pause and ask myself "do they talk like that?". Or I wonder "did they finish school".

What drives me the most insane is failure to use punctuation appropriately. When a post looks like one giant run-on sentence, without paraphraphs, periods or capital letters indicating the start of a sentence; I do not bother reading it. It gives me a headache to try to decipher the message. I figure if someone can not be bothered to express themself in a manner that is comprehensible, then why should I bother to read it.

I honestly think the written word is a lost art, especially with spell-check and other technilogical tools available to correct us, as necessary.

And while text speak can certainly be useful at times, there are places it should be absent from.

(and for the record, I am lazy, I never use the spell-check)

Such an interesting thread!

Thought I would note down the two bug-bears of mine

Nail Bitters instead of Biters

Nail Strippers instead of Stripers - this one is commonly mis-spelt even in catalogues etc selling nail goods, which really makes me :rolleyes:

Given that these words apply to our trade it is even more amazing that they get mis-spelt so often by people in the industry.

Such an interesting thread!

Thought I would note down the two bug-bears of mine

Nail Bitters instead of Biters

Nail Strippers instead of Stripers - this one is commonly mis-spelt even in catalogues etc selling nail goods, which really makes me :rolleyes:

Given that these words apply to our trade it is even more amazing that they get mis-spelt so often by people in the industry.

Ok, here is one of my pet peeves!!

When people say 'sculptured' nails instead of correctly saying SCULPTED NAILS.

We SCULPT (which is a verb) . We make a sculpture (which is a noun).

Therefore we sculpt nails and make sculpted nails. :green:

As professionals. we surely should be saying this correctly!

I for one am a terrible speller, I try my best to correct my mistakes but it doesn't bother me how other people come across in there threads because I know how bad I am.
I try and write "you" instead of "u" and "two" instead of "2" I dont think people are any less intelligent maybe just a bit lazy which I put my hands up to also

I always worry about my spelling so my friend sent me this once

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny ipmortnat tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
:lol:

I'm afraid this does 'get my goat' too!
Its really offputting when you read posts with the wrong spelling.
My real bug-bear is the miss-use of common words:
(infact I've just had to re-read a post 3 times to get the gist of the message!)

The usual culprits are spelling correctly - but using the wrong word!
eg. There..... Their.......They're
Where...... wear....We're
Too......Two......To
Your.....you're
Here......hear
Absolute BASIC grammar - I think it's really lazy, although texting is'nt helping people practise good english.

So sorry to be pedantic...but did you mean isn't!? hehe! Sorry!

And thanks to whoever told me where the word dyslexic comes from, I also find things like that interesting!!!

I know i don't spell everything correctly , especially when chatting, commas, periods , etc. So , it really does not bother me , besides can anyone really not understand what things say with one or two letters wrong.:hug:

When there's a type-o here or there, or one or two incorrectly spelled words in a post, that doesn't rattle me.
We're all human. We make errors.

It's when an entire post is so riddled with errors or lacking in grammar that it makes one a tad insane trying to read it.:grr:

I'm absolutely amazed that this thread has provoked such a reaction. I personally couldn't give two hoots about spelling/punctuation/grammar, provided I can read a thread and understand the meaning.

Now, on the other hand, if I'm reading my daughters homework and she's used text talk, mis-spelled words etc, I AM annoyed and tell her off, because I know what she's capable of and I know that this is through laziness.

If I'm reading a badly written thread, I have no idea about the person who wrote it, their circumstances or their abilities and so I'm not in any position to become annoyed by it. Its already been said that the initial question in this thread was not directed at people who struggle because of problems such as dyslexia, and so since we cannot determine who suffers from such problems and who doesnt just by reading a post entry, then we cannot reasonably react to any of them can we?

Aside from the fact that lots of people suffer from these difficulties, its also an unfortunate fact that the education system that we have (in the UK) is churning out under-achievers at an incredible rate, and that's not necessarily the fault of the pupil; standards in schools are pitifully low. Do you know that my 12 year old daughter does not have her spelling mistakes corrected at school, not even in English lessons, and when I queried this with the school I was told that they do not pick on minor faults such as spelling, because if they discourage children from using words that they dont know how to spell it stifles their creativity. What a load of c**p!!

So, knowing that this standard is perfectly acceptable at schools, I think people need to be more aware that some people do not suffer from any type of disability, yet nor are they being lazy, they have simply been taught that this is an acceptable standard of communication.

Besides which, I'm from a legal background, and I've worked with some very intelligent people who have been gramatically and phrasiologically PERFECT in every way, but by no means did that make them nice people, far from it in some cases.

I for one am a terrible speller, I try my best to correct my mistakes but it doesn't bother me how other people come across in there threads because I know how bad I am.
I try and write "you" instead of "u" and "two" instead of "2" I dont think people are any less intelligent maybe just a bit lazy which I put my hands up to also

I always worry about my spelling so my friend sent me this once

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny ipmortnat tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
:lol:

:lol:It's interesting how easy that was to read. Of course it wouldn't work for those who have english as a second language.

My pet peeves are expressions like "nail removal", "her nails came off" or "the nails are lifting". Especially "how to remove nails" makes me cringe.
We, as professional nail technicians do not remove nails... that would be considered some wicked chinese torture.

We "remove enhancements" or "remove the product from the nails".
The gel or L&P can sometimes "come off, break off or lift"

I think that spelling errors are 1 thing - we arn't all human dictionarys.

It's when people use the wrong word to express themselves - and I think this is down to either a lack of education a basic understanding of correct English and/or lazyness.

As I put in my thread: Here/hear.......There/They're/Their....Two/to/too..etc.

I really don't think many people actually understand when and where they should be using the different spellings.

Personally, I like to be understood and with the written word it is very easy to give the wrong impression (how many times have threads been filled with comments like 'that wasn't how I mean't it to sound....'? - and everyone goes off on a tangent debating!!!), because the poster hasn't made themself clear!!!!!!:irked::irked::irked::irked:

I would say just read through what you have written - not what you think you've written, before you hit the 'submit reply' button. I've re-read this post as i've been typing it, and have corrected at least 6 mistakes (there's still probably some in here though).

I think that spelling errors are 1 thing - we arn't all human dictionarys.

It's when people use the wrong word to express themselves - and I think this is down to either a lack of education a basic understanding of correct English and/or lazyness.

As I put in my thread: Here/hear.......There/They're/Their....Two/to/too..etc.

I really don't think many people actually understand when and where they should be using the different spellings.

Personally, I like to be understood and with the written word it is very easy to give the wrong impression (how many times have threads been filled with comments like 'that wasn't how I mean't it to sound....'? - and everyone goes off on a tangent debating!!!), because the poster hasn't made themself clear!!!!!!:irked::irked::irked::irked:

I would say just read through what you have written - not what you think you've written, before you hit the 'submit reply' button. I've re-read this post as i've been typing it, and have corrected at least 6 mistakes (there's still probably some in here though).

Here are two more spelling errors that I see allot ..

Using the word 'been' when what really is meant is 'being'

and

Draw when the poster is really meaning 'drawer'

I can live with it but it just shows how little time schools (in general) spend on spelling these days.

One of the best books I ever read is 'Eats, shoots and leaves'. Its all about bad grammar and contains some hilarious examples of common mistakes. I learn't loads from it - I definately helped me 'brush-up' on my grammar, but was so funny.

Just beware, you'll find yourself turning into the 'grammar police', and you'll want to carry round a black marker pen to correct stuff! Honest, posters on noticeboards are usually the worst.

It's a really funny book.

(PS. the title refers to a panda's diet ---- not to a cowboy having his lunch and then pointing a gun then running away!! Get it???):lol:

Latest posts

Back