Grammar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we dont live in a perfect world and I appreciate the benefit as much as anybody the benefit of a spell checker, but if I can understand what the poster is trying to say then I dont get too upset these days if the spelling or grammar isnt 100%.

However, as a few have said when I read a post that is quite lengthy and has no paragraphs and loads of text speak it does make it very difficult to read and I have quite often given up trying to understand it, which does mean that I dont give any advice to the question actually being asked.

I did thoroughly enjoy reading the book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" a few years ago and it does make you think about what words you are typing or putting onto written documents.

Amazon.co.uk: Books: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

One of the best books I ever read is 'Eats, shoots and leaves'. Its all about bad grammar and contains some hilarious examples of common mistakes. I learn't loads from it - I definately helped me 'brush-up' on my grammar, but was so funny.

Just beware, you'll find yourself turning into the 'grammar police', and you'll want to carry round a black marker pen to correct stuff! Honest, posters on noticeboards are usually the worst.

It's a really funny book.

(PS. the title refers to a panda's diet ---- not to a cowboy having his lunch and then pointing a gun then running away!! Get it???):lol:

I said this earlier on in the thread - I do agree though, it is a very interesting book.

While it's certainly no fun being nit-picky about grammar and spelling, nor is it any fun being the one 'nit-picked' upon.... we should probably remember one thing.

This is a professional forum.
Our words are what represent us, and how we use them.
We have no gestures here. Nor facial expressions. No voice inflections or anything of the sort.
All anyone has anything to go by is how we choose our words.

Since our words and use of them are a direct reflection of us, on this platform, it only makes sense to pay attention to what we write, and how we say things.
If we are lazy expressing ourselves, then in what other areas are we lazy?
And that is only one example of how our words will reflect back on us.

just a thought..........

I wonder sometimes what the general state of grammar will be in a decade on many forums. I have a friend who's 12 year old has won prizes for her writing, poems, stories and being a top student. Imagine then my absolute horror at being the recipient of several emails from this child (I am on her email list and she doesn't realise, quite fortunate given some of the things she sends as other wise her mother would have no idea). She rarely uses capital letters or punctuation and the spelling is terrible. There is always a bizarre mix of text talk in there too. I have frequently noticed that my 11 year old brings home literacy work (ironically) and it has been marked based on content while spelling has been overlooked. This is especially annoying as he is struggling to adjust to English reading and writing having learned to do both in Norway. I think it all speaks volumes about the education system these days. We do our best to compensate at home although for me that can be quite a challenge.

I don't judge people if their spelling and grammar is not correct.

I am sure I have made many mistakes myself.

My 7 year old daughter is getting more and more homework for writing in paragraphs and using correct punctuation, and sometimes her grammar is better than mines!

As for text talk, i don't get it and it drives me mad

I was reading in the paper on the weekend that 1 in 5 children in Queensland schools no longer make the basic benchmark for basic english. However, these same children every year go up to the next grade and by grade 5,6,7 have little understanding of reading, spelling and grammar.

This is not surprising considering that teachers coming through Uni to teach children this do not have the basic english requirements themselves.
I had teachers in high school who had difficulty reading out passages in books to the class. Even mispronouncing the most basic words and mistaking one word for another. Or when writing on the board, mispelling words. Not just accidently leaving a letter out but major spelling mistakes or using the wrong word all together. For instance there, their, they're or weather, whether etc.

You cannot teach someone something you cannot do or don't know yourself.

I dont like seeing the 'done' word used where is should be 'did'

like... what I done instead of ... what I did

just me having a moan lol

my friends little 5 year old said ' I aint go no nuffink' and held out his hands.
His elder brother had told my son that his brother had nuffink and the 5 year old denied it! lol It is now used as a family saying in our house (unbeknown to them)

In my opinion, bad grammar and/or spelling is just lazyiness. I'm not talking about guys here who have real trouble with their spelling/grammar (that's a seperate issue), I'm talking about people who are in too much of a rush to preview thier post (and correct their mistakes) before posting.

seperate? Oh, the irony!.........joking joking! :lol:

Well We do ask that text speak NOT be used on the site ... so maybe you could make the effort that we are asking for?? Thanks.
Oh, okay then, i will try.:)

Just picking up on the text talk thing (which I do agree does not form part of the written English language -yet?) and taking this to the extreem.....does lol and :lol: and :rolleyes: etc fit into this catogory?

If so then I guess there is going to be many of us feeling somewhat :o

Just picking up on the text talk thing (which I do agree does not form part of the written English language -yet?) and taking this to the extreem.....does lol and :lol: and :rolleyes: etc fit into this catogory?

If so then I guess there is going to be many of us feeling somewhat :o

I think lol would be the one exception since everyone and their brother knows what it means. And other short forms like hun and etc. are not text talk.

Text talk makes me skip posts. It's not something I ever use so I don't understand it nor do I feel like attempting to decode it!

It just ends up excluding groups of people.

I think lol would be the one exception since everyone and their brother knows what it means. And other short forms like hun and etc. are not text talk.

Text talk makes me skip posts. It's not something I ever use so I don't understand it nor do I feel like attempting to decode it!

It just ends up excluding groups of people.

I certainly didnt know what lol was untill I kept seeing it here on this site...likewise"hun" is an abreviation that some might see as inapropriate..so I guess what some see as acceptable others may not .

We should all do our best to be as accurate and correct as is possible given our individual limitations when communicating to others..

I was just reading the text post and just found out what hth means. Hehehe.

I certainly didnt know what lol was untill I kept seeing it here on this site...likewise"hun" is an abreviation that some might see as inapropriate..so I guess what some see as acceptable others may not .

We should all do our best to be as accurate and correct as is possible given our individual limitations when communicating to others..

While I do agree I also think its important to not get carried away. I have seen hon and hun used since I first started joining online communities in the mid 90's. Back then it was usually the American members and was a term I gradually aquired much the same as I might pick up 'localisms' if I moved to another area in the UK. Things like lol or lmao cause a smilie to appear in their place in many forums and I think that it just rubs off and you countinue to use the abbreviations as its a good way to inject humour and make something look friendly that might otherwise read as snippy. In a community like this I am glad the smilies aren't there automatically as it might detract from the importance of the post if a smilie appeared while, oddly enough, lol in written form to me at least, doesn't.

One thing that really really annoys me is when a post isn't separated by paragraphs but by ....... that really ****s me and I don't bother to read the post. Usually when posts are like that they don't use capitals either.

Not pointing fingers here because I can't recall seeing any posts like this but on another forum I know there are a few members and that's how every post is. I won't read any of them because it hurts my eyes.

That coupled with txt spk and I'm ready to hurl my laptop across the room. Or when the entire post is in capitals. That hurts my eyes too.

Ok I’ve been following this thread as I’ve found it extremely interesting.
This is my opinion for what it’s worth

The thread has deviated a lot in places from the original question and gone on to talk about txt talk and using words that may be construed as offensive in different parts of the world and in different cultures
On the subject of txt talk I must admit I have become very lazy and do use it myself from time to time (especially on the chat rooms) although I do make an effort to use correct English on the forums. (English is my second language so sometimes this is hard) I do use spell check most of the time…WHEN I remember.

Who are we to judge anyone simply because of a spelling mistake or incorrect use of grammar?[/SIZE] Obviously it makes sense to use as much correct spelling and grammar as one can but sometimes things are simply overlooked (I’m terrible for scan reading and do not see a mistake unless I’ve read it a few times).
It is in our nature to automatically judge another person (subconsciously) it makes us feel better about ourselves if we can find a just small fault in the other person, whether we want to admit it or not (IMO) But I think if a bit of common sense is used one can read a thread and get the gist of what’s being asked (most of the time) if not…ASK!

Personally what I hate the most is the fact that it’s very hard to get any emotion into the written word, so sometimes when a comment is left or a question answered it is easily misinterpreted as being abrupt or rude, when the respondent was simply being helpful or kind.
I have two VERY intelligent teen girls both still in school and when I look through their school books I’m amazed at the lack of correction in spelling and grammar by the teacher ( and yes I’ve even spotted txt talk in there as well).
So going back to the original question in the post ‘do other people see people as less intelligent if they find it difficult to be grammatically correct? I would have to answer no I most defiantly do not !

Last edited:

The thread has deviated a lot in places from the original question and gone on to talk about txt talk and using words that may be construed as offensive in different parts of the world and in different cultures
On the subject of txt talk I must admit I have become very lazy and do use it myself from time to time (especially on the chat rooms) although I do make an effort to use correct English on the forums. (English is my second language so sometimes this is hard) I do use spell check most of the time…WHEN I remember.

Who are we to judge anyone simply because of a spelling mistake or incorrect use of grammar?[/size] Obviously it makes sense to use as much correct spelling and grammar as one can but sometimes things are simply overlooked (I’m terrible for scan reading and do not see a mistake unless I’ve read it a few times).
It is in our nature to automatically judge another person (subconsciously) it makes us feel better about ourselves if we can find a just small fault in the other person, whether we want to admit it or not (IMO) But I think if a bit of common sense is used one can read a thread and get the gist of what’s being asked (most of the time) if not…ASK!

Personally what I hate the most is the fact that it’s very hard to get any emotion into the written word, so sometimes when a comment is left or a question answered it is easily misinterpreted as being abrupt or rude, when the respondent was simply being helpful or kind.
I have two VERY intelligent teen girls both still in school and when I look through their school books I’m amazed at the lack of correction in spelling and grammar by the teacher ( and yes I’ve even spotted txt talk in there as well).
So going back to the original question in the post ‘do other people see people as less intelligent if they find it difficult to be grammatically correct? I would have to answer no I most defiantly do not !

Fantastic and couldnt agree more...and all that from someone who's second language is English..must be fantastic comunicating with you in your home tounge.

I tend to look past any minor failings an individual may have and focus on the
bigger picture of the message that is being delivered and then make up my mind as to their intelligence level (having of course made allowance for any inability the individual may have)

Who are we to judge anyone simply because of a spelling mistake or incorrect use of grammar?[/size] Obviously it makes sense to use as much correct spelling and grammar as one can but sometimes things are simply overlooked (I’m terrible for scan reading and do not see a mistake unless I’ve read it a few times).

Couldn't agree more.....i have read this thread with great interest.....i always thought text talk was for mobile phone's !!!!!...

I don't look at people as though they are stupid or lazy because they don't do paragraphs....or they .......or they don't start there thread with a capital....

I think there is sooooo much going on in the world....the last thing i am going to "pick" at is grammar.As long as someone is writing something constructive and positive.......that's all that should matter.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.....i have read this thread with great interest.....i always thought text talk was for mobile phone's !!!!!...

I don't look at people as though they are stupid or lazy because they don't do paragraphs....or they .......or they don't start there thread with a capital....

I think there is sooooo much going on in the world....the last thing i am going to "pick" at is grammar.As long as someone is writing something constructive and positive.......that's all that should matters .

No one is picking for the sake of it. It's about better understanding. If someone is writing something constructive and worth reading, then we should all be able to READ it.

As regards what is going on in the world, maybe if we all communicated better and understood each other better we wouldn't have all the problems we do as humans.

Latest posts

Back