Granma - is it important?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBack&Beyond

Reaction score
I have a bug to bear. I am plauged by baad speeling, and granma, and you no wat, txt speak away from mobile fones.

Do we really address our customers in print and onlyne with such a poor show? Does it matter? Oh yes it really does!

one shuld always have very high standards.

Your comments? :lol:

Yeah i fink like wot you duz! :)

yeh dey dont under stand or speak propper england like us duz ! :| innit lol

It drives me mad too as I think it's lazy and I don't understand it anyway.

This was brought up in a thread a long time ago and there is an article on here somewhere which explains what all these abreviations mean but to be honest I can't be bothered to go cross-referencing anyway.

Even my mother has started doing it so I just ignore her texts!

LOL and I thought this was going to be a thread discussing the difference between parents mums.

Should they be Grandma, Granny, Nanny etc.

I know exactly where you are coming from. We do need also to think of those who do not have English as their first language and also those who have word blindness issues. But then there are others who are just lazy and dont care.

The odd mistake can be glossed over. We should all read posts before hitting Post.

Salongeek aside, websites with loads of mistakes are not a good look when you are trying to entice customers to come to you.

Yes it is. Hugely so, in my opinion.

This industry suffers with an image problem, by and large, and the continued use of text speak, street language, appalling spelling and grammar does not help.

If we want to be taken seriously as professionals then we need to project that image, and LOL, innit, xxx, hugz [sic], and all that rubbish is counterproductive. As are hotmail/gmail/yahoo email accounts.

Could you imagine a doctor/dentist/solicitor/accountant having a hotmail account, or posting on a webforum with kisses and hugz at the end of every post?

We're not schoolgirls; we're professional business people. Let's behave like that.

Unfortunately this will always happen in the industry as many people want to do things their own way. While i cant stand the unprofessional aspect of text speak in posters/price lists/websites/ads and mere sentances, sometimes ppl are trying to get there personality across. I dont like unprofessional email accounts i feel if you go for it (in aspect of being mobile) you go for it properly (by setting up a valid information hub via website/email)

Imo i feel i have to dumb myself down to actually comprehend what is said by clients/fellow therapist/staff sometimes, but im open minded enough to know that education does pay a big part.

I think lynne is spot on of the image problem. I have seen so many ppl that will pertain a typical bimbo/himbo image and so many ppl try to live it up!

Unfortunately this will always happen in the industry as many people want to do things their own way. While i cant stand the unprofessional aspect of text speak in posters/price lists/websites/ads and mere sentances, sometimes ppl are trying to get there personality across. I dont like unprofessional email accounts i feel if you go for it (in aspect of being mobile) you go for it properly (by setting up a valid information hub via website/email)

Imo i feel i have to dumb myself down to actually comprehend what is said by clients/fellow therapist/staff sometimes, but im open minded enough to know that education does pay a big part.

I think lynne is spot on of the image problem. I have seen so many ppl that will pertain a typical bimbo/himbo image and so many ppl try to live it up!

This is precisely the type of post that annoy people because of the text speak, grammar and spelling mistakes! Even some of the premium geeks have terrible spelling mistakes, its one of my pet hates and I just wish people would just use the english language as it is meant to be!

I think it just makes us sound and look stupid, therefore just enhancing that 'bimbo', 'beautician', stereotypical image, that we professionals have been trying to get away from.

OK, I am confused. What is actually wrong with having a Hotmail account.

I opened a Hotmail account 10 years ago because I wanted to be able to have a separate account to my family email address. I also wanted something which I could check when I was away from my Outlook Express.

Why does this point to me being perceived as unprofessional. I am interested.

The thing with hotmail/gmail/yahoo accounts is that clients percieve this as an unprofessional service. Due to many people doing it as a hobby and not maintaining it as their buisness.

Over the years peoples perception on these accounts is that they are cheap, you wont be taken seriously. The avatars are unattractive, people assume that your service is not a good quaility due to you using a free service. Also people assume that these accounts are for "friends" not clients, people will turn the other cheek and it is perception of your business. Your brand maybe misconstrued as cheap when it may be far from it.

People are quite willing to judge an account by its name,
ie [email protected] (not a real account but if it existed would you really?) or [email protected]- at least you would be able to track your servce, and break up your account in terms of invoices/enquires etc.

The internet is everchanging and the services that are free have always been associated normally for friends/relatives anything else should be different.

As bluntly as i can put it your company/business will always look unprofessional if you choose to use a free account when all you could of done is spent around £3 for eternity for a better sounding account/ customer service.

To me a hotmail account is associated with teenagers, spods/IT geeks in back bedrooms, and of course, the Nigerian scammers out there.
I think your email address should match your business name and website address (as far as is possible). It's entirely possible to forward your "professional" email to gmail/hotmail etc so you can access it from anywhere.
Often I'll come across a random email address on a business card, like "[email protected]" for instance, and I can google calla salon to remind me of who the person is. I have a photo on my website for this very reason; we often remember faces better than names. If the email address is [email protected] I haven't a clue!

It's all about having a cohesive brand too. My email matches my website matches my business name.

Many years ago, before Microsoft bought Hotmail, it used to be associated with p0rn email. That was enough to taint it forever for me!

Lots of email servers will block Hotmail too.

I'm not alone in my opinion on this; take a look at the article attached to see someone else's opinion!

Why is using Hotmail for my business such a bad idea?

I love both my granmas! :hug:

Personally I would NEVER use text speak in relation my business but have been known to put the odd LOL or IMHO when posting on FB or on here.

I hate it when it's used all the time, it looks bad plus it takes me a lifetime to decipher what's being said, think I need a translator. :D

I have to say my son (who's 14) recently wrote on his Facebook page that he couldn't stand it when people can't spell or use bad grammar - I think it makes a refreshing change these days.

There is one geek that springs to mind when I read this thread and each time I see one of her threads or posts, it takes me so long to read and re read it as I can't understand a word of it, so a lot of the time, I just don't bother to read it at all.

I have noticed the mods have had to change a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, which must be a pain as I'm sure they have enough to be doing.

I can understand someone trying to abbreviate a word, as they may be texing, but I don't get the heeelllloooooo wots the best nail systeeeeeemm to use type posts... what's all that about? LOL.. am I just getting old :lol:

I have a real problem with text speak and would never use it as part of my business correspondence. I am also a punctuation junkie and it infuriates me that proper punctuation seems to have completely disappeared as far as my children are concerned. I have recently joined facebook and my (much younger) brother takes great delight in teasing me about my fully formed sentences when I am posting.

However, I feel slightly differently when posting on this forum. I feel we are part of a community and, the longer I am here, the more friends I make. I am well aware that the written word can often be misinterpreted when you are unable to see the poster's expression (I hope that apostrophe is in the right place)! In those instances, I feel a "LOL" or an ""IMO" can be really helpful.

IYKWIM

Elaine

I don't speak 'text speak'. I can't. It hurts my brain.
When I see posts such as that, I simply don't read them.

If someone is too lazy to write properly (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc..), then I'm too lazy to 1) translate their post so I can understand their dilemma AND 2) answer it.
YES there are those faced with challenges and you CAN see the differences between A)posters who are dyxlexic or only speak english as 2nd language and B) lazy people.

My friends/family know that if they text me, use ENGLISH. I HATE texting, frankly. Trying to type on that silly phone drives me mad. So unless it's limited to one or two phrases, I don't want to text. If they want a conversation, they can CALL me. :lol:

PS: I also think hotmail accounts are unprofessional and give the wrong impression. My ISP provider lets me set up as many email accounts as I like. So, I use my hotmail account for logging onto sites such as facebook and that sort of thing (or other shopping sites and stuff so that I don't get spammed). Via my ISP provider, I have 3 accounts with different names: VictoriaHunter@ (family & Friends), OnglesChezVictoria@ (business stuff), Hubby'sName@ (Hubby's account) and later for kids, they'll have their own too.
That way, I keep my emails separate.

Yes it is. Hugely so, in my opinion.

This industry suffers with an image problem, by and large, and the continued use of text speak, street language, appalling spelling and grammar does not help.

If we want to be taken seriously as professionals then we need to project that image, and LOL, innit, xxx, hugz [sic], and all that rubbish is counterproductive. As are hotmail/gmail/yahoo email accounts.

Could you imagine a doctor/dentist/solicitor/accountant having a hotmail account, or posting on a webforum with kisses and hugz at the end of every post?

We're not schoolgirls; we're professional business people. Let's behave like that.

LOL totally understand where your coming from my daughter drives me crazy with her rap talk ! but I have to say I have a friends thats a top harley street dentist that, out of the office, has a mowhawk, teeth earings from top to bottom, speaks in rhymes and swears like a trooper but he's still a top pro dentist !

I dislike bad spelling.....I notice it everywhere and it drives me mad!

Sometimes I get so distracted I don't make it to the end of the thread!

:eek:

Latest posts

Back