Guess what! I forgot my forms todays & used kitchen foil!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
I went to one of my old established clients this morning. She had broken the end of her nail off on her garden pond pump and I decided to sculpt the missing free edge back on. No problem you would of thought.........................................

But then.......................I forgot my tub with my collection of sculpting forms in!!!!!! :irked:

Bit of a pain really, i'd prepped all the nails & felt a bit of a prat. So..... I asked her if she had any kitchen foil & off she went & got me some.
I made a 'Heath Robinson' style form from a doubled up piece of foil and held it in place whilst i sculpted the free edge back on and held it (and my breath!!!!) in place whilst it set.:Scared:

She was saying how talented she thought i was etc etc and i was thinking - jeeezze i hope this works!!!! :eek: (I live 15 miles away so it was a bit of a journey to go back for one form!)

Has anything like this happened to any of you????

I have to say, it worked a treat, no seepage or over-exposure problems & the foil came off really easily! Thought it would of stuck a bit more!!!!!! The nail shape & structure was good too.

I have to say, I was so pleased with myself!!!! It was a bit nerve wracking tho incase it didn't work!!!!

Nice one bev, thinking on your feet, allsorts of things were used for sculptng purposes before the forms as we know it were introduced.

Bev Rose said:
I went to one of my old established clients this morning. She had broken the end of her nail off on her garden pond pump and I decided to sculpt the missing free edge back on. No problem you would of thought.........................................

But then.......................I forgot my tub with my collection of sculpting forms in!!!!!! :irked:

Bit of a pain really, i'd prepped all the nails & felt a bit of a prat. So..... I asked her if she had any kitchen foil & off she went & got me some.
I made a 'Heath Robinson' style form from a doubled up peice of foil and held it in place whilst i sculpted the free edge back on and held it (and my breath!!!!) in place whilst it set.:Scared:

She was saying how talented she thought i was etc etc and i was thinking - jeeezze i hope this works!!!! :eek: (I live 15 miles away so it was a bit of a journey to go back for one form!)

Has anything like this happened to any of you????

I have to say, it worked a treat, no seepage or over-exposure problems & the foil came off really easily! Thought it would of stuck a bit more!!!!!! The nail shape & structure was good too.

I have to say, I was so pleased with myself!!!! It was a bit nerve wracking tho incase it didn't work!!!!

OMG Bev how did you think of that one?

Well, about 20 years ago i had my nails sculpted for the first time at my local beauty salon & i never forgot that the - what i now know to be forms - looked like horsehoe shaped tin foil!!!! They lasted about 3 days & all broke off in different shapes & cracks!!!!

Thank god my memory isn't faling me!!!!!!!:lol:

I am amazed you managed to keep the shape while it was drying - even the proper forms move sometimes!

oey said:
I am amazed you managed to keep the shape while it was drying - even the proper forms move sometimes!

I have to tell you I dropped everything and just held it in place!!!!

It was like watching a kettle boil - it seemed to take ages!!!!!!!

Way to go!!

Quick thinking girlie. Just goes to show what you can do in a fix and it's a good tip to remember if any of the rest of us is in a pickle:wink2:

So you was a girl guide then, lol
It brings to mind a problem I had a while ago. I went to do just 1 repair and I`d forgotten my brush, how stupid was that? I didn`t realise until I`d got the nail ready either and the client didn`t want to be left without it. The only brush I had in my box was a really old one I kept for tidying up smile lines with and its had allsorts of products on it in its time. I managed to do it, the brush didn`t even appear to be contaminated which was a complete shock too. Even more of a shock was that I had no problems with that nail at all afterwards, I thought it would at least discolour or something, I just hope I never do anything like that again!

Debs said:
So you was a girl guide then, lol
It brings to mind a problem I had a while ago. I went to do just 1 repair and I`d forgotten my brush, how stupid was that? I didn`t realise until I`d got the nail ready either and the client didn`t want to be left without it. The only brush I had in my box was a really old one I kept for tidying up smile lines with and its had allsorts of products on it in its time. I managed to do it, the brush didn`t even appear to be contaminated which was a complete shock too. Even more of a shock was that I had no problems with that nail at all afterwards, I thought it would at least discolour or something, I just hope I never do anything like that again!

I did this too about 6 months ago.

The client was about 16 miles from me and I was totally gutted. I apologised profusely & said i'b be back in an hour! She said no way I'll find you a brush - she came back with her make up brush roll & i chose a brush that looked the most sablely!!! Did a full set of infills with it. When i cleaned it i wiped the bristles on a tissue and they all fell out in the tissue!!!! I was mortified! I felt so stupid to of forgotten my brush in the first place and ruin her brush too - she's a friend so she's very understanding, infact she was laughing for the rest of the appointment!
The infills were also no problem when i returned.
She's still a client now too!! But i carry spare brushes in my case - what a lesson to learn!!!!

well done ! what a brilliant idea:green:

amb xxx

i had to do it with some sticky backed plastic once. good job i watched blue peter as a child.

god ive done things like this too,
i went to do my one of my dearest friends the a few weeks ago for a birthday prezzie,
she is a severe nail biter her cuticles are unbelivable,and oh yes i had forgotten my cuticle pusher!! :eek:
but.....in my case i had an orange stick with squared ends so i said "no problemo" and got to work with my file and made myself a wooden cuticle pusher !!!
its amazing what you can think of when in a situation like this isnt it !
well done hunnie for the quick thinking xxxx

I love it!!

Just shows us women can think outside the box, I will remember that trick, thanks.

x

excellent quick thinking Bev... you ought to add this to the thread 'Tricks of the Trade' :D

Spoken like a true Shming Shmonger!!

My motto ...............WHATEVER IT TAKES!!

Yes I've used the foil method and the stickyback plastic too! Great minds think alike. Not ideal, but when in a bind you do .. whatever it takes. We women are great at that!

geeg said:
My motto ...............WHATEVER IT TAKES!!

Yes I've used the foil method and the stickyback plastic too! Great minds think alike. Not ideal, but when in a bind you do .. whatever it takes. We women are great at that!

That's why we women folk are mom's and men are not
:lol:

sorry, OT and sexist, but I couldn't resist.:wink2:

i've used foil too! whatever it takes!
i had this happen a few times between me and my mother, she thought i was nuts at first, but it worked!
...heavy duty foil works best!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

nice one bev - id never have thought of that!! id have prob ended up filing doen and re-tipping if i didnt have my forms xx

Good for you Bev,i would have just cried lol x

Latest posts

Back