Hair extension removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
ive took my front extensions out tonight and the rest are coming out tomorra, (my mum is doing it for me) i know you use acetone to take them out, but how much damage do you actually think this does to your hair.................................... let alone your eyes

while taking mine out tongiht, ive nearly blinded myself... getting acetone in my eyes..thankfully my eyes are fine, but it does make you wonder doesnt it. i could have gone and got them out professionaly i know, at a cost of £40, but things are tight at the mo and couldnt afford it.

the whole point of this thread is to ask if anyone that does hair extensions whether there is an easier way.

thanks in advance to all the hair extensionists that answer this

im not an expert , but ive heard if you have the bonds in, to apply hair straighteners to the bonds , this melts the glue, enabling you to remove the extensions

but i believe acetone is the way to do it, wrap it in foil and leave them for a while,
depends how patient you are g!!!!!!!!!!!!

however use acetone and straightners at the same time and not only will you loose your extensions but also your head as you go up in flames :eek:

however use acetone and straightners at the same time and not only will you loose your extensions but also your head as you go up in flames :eek:

im suprised my head hasnt gone up in flames actually................didnt use straighteners tho, just the amount of acetone, cos i was doing it myself, and kept missing the bond :)

i usually soak cotton wool in acetone then wrap tin foil round hair with cotton wool, a bit like soaking nails off that works good :)

im not an expert , but ive heard if you have the bonds in, to apply hair straighteners to the bonds , this melts the glue, enabling you to remove the extensions

but i believe acetone is the way to do it, wrap it in foil and leave them for a while,
depends how patient you are g!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your a diy'er,

this is the kindest way to do it. i am a hair extensionist.
the only thing that you have to make sure of is..you dont slide the hair straighteners down the lengths of your hair or you will have a big mess.

how i take them down on my clients is to use salon pliers to crush the bonds and the a little acetone on a cotton wool pad and rub the bond should break down fairly easy.

if you need anymore advice or are struggling a bit just give me a pm i'll help ya out xx

p.s if you have a small pair of pliers they will work too..make sure you dont get the cutter part near your natural hair xx hth x

What about oil?? doesnt that make them slide off?

What about oil?? doesnt that make them slide off?

I had exactly the same idea when I wanted my extensions out, but was worried about the condition of my hair. Truth be told though, you would need to apply vast amounts of heavy oil (like olive or vege) over a period of time for the extensions to come out 100%. Extension bonds are designed to resist oil to a certain degree, because of the natural oils that the scalp produces. Some bonds will be more resistant (Balmain micro bonds for example are tough as sh*t), but I can imagine Racoon ones coming out quite easily.

I have had extensions removed twice earlier this year using the pliers and acetone method, and no damage to my hair whatsoever.

I use Solgel it´s a remover in gel for hairextensions it makes the keratin crystalizes for easy removal, only a little solgel then squeez whit a plier. Have never use aceton and don´t think I ever will :eek: Heard that cool blue did the work for another girl how run out off removing gel, must be heltier for you´re hair, think aceton is not sooo good..... I take off extensions for free if it´s my work from the beginning, don´t think the clients shall do this by them selvs so it´s in my price when I do extensions.

Hi, I would stop and go get them removed professionally ...whatever the cost...same as we tell our Nails clients right! Just sounds dangerous to me doing it yourself with acetone hon if you have already got it near your eyes ..please take care x

thanks for all your replies guys, well they are OUT, minimal damage too. the only damage to my own hair is how thin it is (from previous removal). anyways, they are out and i also have a new haircut, i love it, its a concave bob, a decent one too. ill get a pic up asp,

i lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve it

thanks for all your replies guys, well they are OUT, minimal damage too. the only damage to my own hair is how thin it is (from previous removal). anyways, they are out and i also have a new haircut, i love it, its a concave bob, a decent one too. ill get a pic up asp,

i lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve it

ooooooo new hair do.... i need one of them!.... mines all boring!
get those pics up!

Hi All,

I just had extensions in July, almost 2 months now. I wanted to take them off because Im getting busy and no time to look after a long hair. They started to knot and matt. My question is I tried to go to salon but they charge so much like $1.5 per strand ad I have a full head of extensions. So it could be very expensive to go there. Also I have the extension with silicone bond. I dont know what to do.. hwaaa

Thanks,
Sam

Hi All,

I just had extensions in July, almost 2 months now. I wanted to take them off because Im getting busy and no time to look after a long hair. They started to knot and matt. My question is I tried to go to salon but they charge so much like $1.5 per strand ad I have a full head of extensions. So it could be very expensive to go there. Also I have the extension with silicone bond. I dont know what to do.. hwaaa

Thanks,
Sam

Hi, Sam and welcome to salon geek,
The extensions will matt and Knot at the bonded areas if your maintenance is due or over due,

Maintenance is where they snip off the hair fall which gets trapped in the bonds due to natural hair shedding ,
(its the hair thats normally in the plughole after each shampoo ) this now is trapped in the bonds and needs snipping off , otherwise it will just carry on matting,

I know its expensive to have them maintained or removed but if you just leave them the knots and matting will become worse,
then it will be a major expensive job to take them out as the time involved will be much longer,
I know it is not what you wanted to hear,
sorry I cant be of more help :hug: x

well just to let you all know that using straighteners to remove the bonds doesnt work it just sticks the glue to your hair alot worse! Acetone doesnt really work either, it may remove the hair but chances are the glue will remain stuck in place or at least most of it. And if your like me you will even end up with small round bald patches of where your own hair has accidently been pulled out at random places about your head. No matter how much it costs I would defo go back to the hairdresser that put them in. Thats what I am doing tomorrow with big regrets at trying a DIY job!!

And just to add, it was 100% acetone I used and almost choked on, I poured 2 litres in a bucket and spent about an hour upside down with my head in.

what is sol gel and where can I get some?
Thanks!

oh my god, you should NEVER try to take your extensions out using straightners???
my advice to anybody would be to have them removed professionally,
Ive seen girls with there hair ending up in all sorts of states, after theyve tried taking them out themselfs.

This site is for professionals to share tips,not to tell others how to DIY.

oh my god, you should NEVER try to take your extensions out using straightners???
my advice to anybody would be to have them removed professionally,
Ive seen girls with there hair ending up in all sorts of states, after theyve tried taking them out themselfs.

This site is for professionals to share tips,not to tell others how to DIY.

Is this for real ? thought this was a wind up :eek:
I totally agree with endless ..... what on earth is happening with DIY hair extensionists these days ..... please save up and let the professionals do it for you instead of dipping your head in acetone now that was very foolish
I dread to think what could have happened to you and breathing in all that vapour ....too !! ppffffttttt !!!

Can't advise on how to remove them but get a professional!. i had them and had an allergic reaction to them, so went back and she proceded to rip them out!!!!! and only half of them as i told her to stop!!!!!!!!!!

There was noone for miles that does them so had to resort to a ton of baby oil and 3 ppl trying to desolve them and iv got very very thick hair not a fun experience ant took yrs to be back to normal!!!!

Not what you wnt to hear but i sympathise its not a good experience and put me off but found someone amazing now !!!

Sorry but I cannot beleive what I am reading with this thread. You would rather DUNK YOUR HEAD IN ACETONE, risk blinding your self, wrecking your hair (you do not have a clue how to do this removal properly) and setting yourself on fire, just to save 40 quid?

Madness.

PS baby oil wont work either, nor will any of the other stupid ideas the non hair geeks have chipped in with here, GO BACK TO YOUR HAIRDRESSER BEFORE YOU DO MORE DAMAGE.

And would the non hair experts keep their home remedies to themselves please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back