Have you ever sacked a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
The reason I am asking is because for the first time ever I have sacked a client before they even became a client.
Long and short of it is I was asked to provide bridal make up services on site at a castle that I often work for. Have done many weddings there over the past few years. I got a feeling (as you do) pretty much straight away from the bride that she had a bad attitude however I carried on making arrangements with her for trial etc . . . .
She has turned into a full on Bridezilla and totally turned on me today with a series of very insulting emails questioning my prices as well as my products. So I sacked her, very nicely ofcourse and wished her well.
Sometimes you just know don't you, life is too short and some things are just not worth it. I could imagine myself dreading the actual wedding day as it approached and just thought to myself "NAH"!!!!!!!!!
Have any of you had a similar experience and had to sack a client? :Love:

Yep - I have 'sacked' a number of people over the years. I normally just say "sorry, but my service and product is obviously not suitable for you, perhaps it would be best if you sought out another therapist". I normally then go on to give them a list of localish salons they could try. I've never been rude, but I'd rather use my time to treat other clients, and difficult clients will rarely be the ones to spread the good word about your salon or treatments!

I had to do this the other day. A client that's been coming to me for years, and I've put up with her lateness, not showing, and faffing around with her child at every appointment. Last week she missed three, yes THREE appointments. I had to tell her we weren't prepared to re book her :(

She had thirteen 'DNA's on her record card, and they are only the ones I wrote down! That's not including ones she cancelled at the last minute, and ones she was late for. I've charged her for many misses appointments bur he just never eta the hint. I feel bad chargig her too cuz she is a single mum. So I'd rather just not have to deal with it.

Last edited:
I had to do this the other day. A client that's been coming to me for years, and I've put up with her lateness, not showing, and faffing around with her child at every appointment. Last week she missed three, yes THREE appointments. I had to tell her we weren't prepared to re book her :(

She had thirteen 'DNA's on her record card, and they are only the ones I wrote down! That's not including ones she cancelled at the last minute, and ones she was late for. I've charged her for many misses appointments bur he just never eta the hint. I feel bad chargig her too cuz she is a single mum. So I'd rather just not have to deal with it.

Thirteen missed appointments? My goodness, you must have the patience of a saint?

On a bit of an update the Bridezilla I mentioned in my original post just cant leave me alone. I am now receiving emails questioning my decision to withdraw my services etc . . . . . . .
What is the most polite way to say: Look, go away, I am not interested, don't contact me again?

Good for you and I would have done the same. Like you say, you get a vibe and we should always trust out gut instincts.

I had an ex student call me to ask how she should wax a new client as she'd been burnt by her previous four therapists. My response was 'Don't
wax her at all, or you'll be number five'

I have had to do it too. It's not nice, or easy, but sometimes it's better to get rid of the clients you "dread". Life is too short.

With Bridezilla, I would simply reply that you are not able to do her wedding. Please try a different makeup artist.

Thank you for the advice Persianista and that's exactly what I have done.
Although something tells me I have not quite heard the end of it! :grr:
To be continued . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes i have had quite a few but in a round about sort of way.I like my job and i dont want anyone spoiling it.When you work in a salon you have to do whats booked but now i work for myself i do who i want and when i want to be honest most people are treasures anyway and stick to their appointments etc.

I had to do it with a girl who kept making appointments and then cancelling at last minute.
She would ignore my msgs if I tried to confirm she was attending her appointment.
She was Just rude, I'm busy and don't want to give appointments to timewasters.
It's not nice I don't like doing it but sometimes it's unavoidable xx

I agree with you all! just wish i had more guts to do the same. :/ My oldest lash client has started irritating me. She pulls her lashes out, listens to her hairdressers on how to look after them and will not listen too me with my advice. Her lashes are shockingly sparse, short and weak and will not have a break or stop yanking at them. I care so much for her, blood sweat and tears!!! i had it! next time she says "my hairdresser says i should be doing this with my lashes and they should look like this bla bla bla" im going to say, ok go to her for your lash extensions and ill do your hair yea?

Its seriously not worth the headache......ohh, i have one now just thinking about her.

Leemac, she will get board, esp. once its near the wedding time, youll be long forgotton xx

I actually threw a client out once, midway through her treatment. She continually abused my therapist, told her she was fat, insulted her in several other ways, was rude and ignorant etc ...... therapist ended up in tears.:evil:

So I calmly walked up to her, told her to leave the salon, and said she wasn't welcome back. Her reply to me was "who the hell are you then to tell me to leave"? I wont tell you my response to that one!

It wasnt necessarily the right thing to do, and I didnt do it lightheartedly, but no-one deserves to be abused at work, especially as the therapist was a lovely, kind hearted, friendly girl who was good at her job.

Thanks everyone for your experiences and your advice, relieved to know I am not the only one.
She has emailed me again and completely changed her approach :rolleyes: gone is the sharp cutting attitude, now she is very humble and had a total change of heart. I know what has happened she will have gone and looked at the alternatives like I suggested to her and realised her mistake. However this Lady is not for changing and I couldn't work with her now anyway she would make my life miserable on the day I just know it. The thing is I have told her straight now twice that I am no longer offering my services what more can I do? Should I ignore her last email or send a final email explaining that my decision stands and ask her not to contact me again?

I actually threw a client out once, midway through her treatment. She continually abused my therapist, told her she was fat, insulted her in several other ways, was rude and ignorant etc ...... therapist ended up in tears.:evil:

So I calmly walked up to her, told her to leave the salon, and said she wasn't welcome back. Her reply to me was "who the hell are you then to tell me to leave"? I wont tell you my response to that one!

It wasnt necessarily the right thing to do, and I didnt do it lightheartedly, but no-one deserves to be abused at work, especially as the therapist was a lovely, kind hearted, friendly girl who was good at her job.

I'm so glad to hear this! I worked for an employer who allowed clients to abuse me in almost all ways. I quit before they ever stood up for me. Some of the abuse was actually from the management. They ragged on the girl's weight and looks all the time. Awful.

Yep - I have 'sacked' a number of people over the years. I normally just say "sorry, but my service and product is obviously not suitable for you, perhaps it would be best if you sought out another therapist". I normally then go on to give them a list of localish salons they could try. I've never been rude, but I'd rather use my time to treat other clients, and difficult clients will rarely be the ones to spread the good word about your salon or treatments!

Totally agree! Hello Martin!

I have sacked quite a few for various reasons and one even for being so boring! Nicely, obviously for the boring one but some I have told why I am sacking them. It is our business and we are up close and personal with these people so it is up to us if we keep them on or not!:wink2:

yep sounds familiar...friend from work predicted she would be a prob and she sure has disregarded all what i told her been using her gel nails as tools and then puts it in facebook her nail has come off!!!!!

yes, my cousin !!! I did her shellac for free when I first started out, had a few teething problems with it (it peeled) and she wrote on facebook her nails were 'rubbish' and I needed to have a refresher course :0. needless to say we're not speaking at the moment! I have since found out she is bipolar and apparently says things in the heat of the moment (my aunts attempt at trying to patch things up!) lol
but to be honest, really didnt want to be doing her nails on a regular basis - she expects me to do things for her for next to nothing or free (kids party, making jewellery for her wedding) then charges full wack when I ask her to make me a birthday cake !!

I have sacked quite a few for various reasons and one even for being so boring! Nicely, obviously for the boring one but some I have told why I am sacking them. It is our business and we are up close and personal with these people so it is up to us if we keep them on or not!:wink2:

I cant believe you sacked someone for being boring :lol: that is so funny! Ive never sacked anyone but theres a few annoying clients, my problem is their the ones who spend a lot of money :rolleyes:

I must admit I feel very lucky that I have got to the point where I can pick and choose a little who I treat - I feel I've served my time in treating awkward clients so this is my reward! I haven't yet had to get rid of a boring clien yet though!!!:p

Latest posts

Back