Help..have been informed that my babysitter is stealing off me..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurz17

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,
Where to start... Well basically on my birthday my hubby bought me a Laura Mercier Ltd Ed Lip Gloss and Black Eyeliner..Ive used both about 4 times anyway last wkend i came to use them as i was going out... couldnt find them anywhere..thought nothing of it as i often put my make up down in strange places and forget where ive put it:eek:...
I remember that my kids were all in bed and that there were 2 people with me, my sister in law and my babysitter...
Anyway to cut a long story short, my babysitter was bragging to one of her friends today saying that she had got them and that she'd also got my st tropez self tanning lotion..Her friend then told one of my clients that she had showed her them..
Obviously my client has told me but i dont know what to do about it..:eek:
Sorry for rambling..im so angry at the moment:mad:

What would you do in the same situation??
xx

That is awful. You are going to have to find yourself a new babysitter. :hug:

If it were me, I probably wouldn't confront her, I would just get rid of her.

I would take the bull by the horns and phone the mother of my baby sitter, I would tell her that your client would have no way of knowing that these items were missing from your home and that you would like the items returned. Or better yet seeing as these items will now have her daughters skin cells all over them, you would like them replaced.
I would not get drawn into any arguments about how her daughter is not a thief, if she does start that routine I would say, I'm not interested in you defending her I just want my stuff back and name what it is, so she can go look for herself:green:.
Then find a new baby sitter:irked:
Even if her mother does defend her, in private, I bet she catches hell for it and she's now out of a job.

Bless you it a terrible thing!!
This happened to me when I had my first babysitter, she stole one of my favourite bras, can you believe it she had gone through my nicker draw!!!

I realised straight away when the strap was showing under her top, I mentioned that I had a bra just like that one, it was a very different in the way it shimmered. I then went straight to my draw to find mine and it was missing. I got the bra back straight away and never used the girl again. HOW RUDE!!!!:mad:

Bless you it a terrible thing!!
This happened to me when I had my first babysitter, she stole one of my favourite bras, can you believe it she had gone through my nicker draw!!!

I realised straight away when the strap was showing under her top, I mentioned that I had a bra just like that one, it was a very different in the way it shimmered. I then went straight to my draw to find mine and it was missing. I got the bra back straight away and never used the girl again. HOW RUDE!!!!:mad:

Isnt it just!! I feel betrayed,angry and very upset, the other obstacle is that she is also an employee of my husband...(We live in a Pub) which is how i got to know her...
:hug:

I was kind of in the same situation a few years ago. I'm a nightmare for misplacing things. There were things I was looking for and couldn't find them anywhere. Mainly underwear which I was beginning to find strange because if it wasn't in the wash it would be in my drawer.
Every time something would go missing it would be at a time when this little madam would be baby sitting for me.
One day she had bent over and had my knickers on!!!!!!!!!!! I made a joke and said 'i have those' but really wanted to ask her 'have you been stealing off me?'
So anyway I ended up setting a camera up, caught her red handed!! I took the evidence to the police and she was questioned. She had even stole my bracelet that i'd saved up £900 for.

It's a horrible feeling that you have let someone into your home and trusted them and yet they steal off you.
There's nothing you can do without the evidence, so get a cheap camera set up and catch her. Don't let her get away with it ...cheeky mare! xxx

OMG! Cheeky cow! The nerve of some people. Are you 100% sure she has? If so you definately have to get rid of her. Think Susie H has a really good point, I would also confront her or speak to her mother, you could also say that you are seriously thinking about contacting the police. Bet you would get your stuff back or at the very most an apology. Thing is also if she's took that stuff she could very well of taken something else! My mum had the same problem with her cleaner, she was told off a friend that this woman had been bragging about taking stuff! She confronted the woman and threatened her with going to the police and the woman came clean about everything and returned it all. My mum couldn't believe what she had taken, there was stuff she hadn't even realised had gone missing!!! :hug:

Hello! Kamsi here! In Nigeria we often encounter this kind of problem with our househelps or housekeepers....
I agree with the last person who advised to get a cheap camera installed, get evidence, present it to her parents so that they can start cautioning their daughter preventing this stealing from escalating to shoplifting or worse.
Unfortunately, you will have to learn to lock up all your stuff in your room, as long as you have outside help, everybody is a suspect I'm afraid so the best thing is not to keep things in temptations way.
The good thing is that this phase does not last forever, you will find somebody who is honest and diligent, and the children do grow up to be able to look after themselves!
Best of luck!

I know this won't help, but this is one of the main reason why I won't have a babysitter in my house. If it means I can't work more flexible hours then so be it - no body is going to be given the key to steal in my house.

Get rid of her immediately would be my advise - good luck!

Isnt it just!! I feel betrayed,angry and very upset, the other obstacle is that she is also an employee of my husband...(We live in a Pub) which is how i got to know her...
:hug:

All the more reason to get this sorted out. If she is stealing from you, she's just as likely to be stealing from your husband's business.

A horrible situation for you :hug:

Last edited:
All the more reason to get this sorted out. If she is stealing from you, she's just as likely to be stealing from your husband's business.

A horrible situation for you :hug:

I'd send her a letter, by recorded delivery, advising her not to step foot on your property again. Let her ask why .... I bet she won't because she'll know exactly why xx

Your in a tricky situation, if you accuse her, albeit you know you are right, you have no direct proof and she could end up making you out to be the baddie, as you are in a pub , so are amoungst regulars I would make it known to to her someway that I have entrusted another babysitter with my children and that things had gone missing, be a bit snidey (SP)about it, but make sure you have a few digs about her without putting yourself in the line of fire x Personally I would want to really have a go but experiance tells me that her having to look over her shoulder all the time, knowing that you know what she has done is know is better than the punishment itself x

omg i cant believe some of these stories! well its reminded me of a close friend of mine who had a couple of cleaners from an agency a little while ago...they used to come every week and do their job...but little did my friend know that they were also nicking her bras! theyd just go missing off the radiator and out the draw! eventually she realised and it was easily sorted as she could just call the agency and they dealt with it all. I could not believe it when she told me....imagine nicking someones undies!!!

Anyway this babysitter....well you sound quite positive that you know its her....however I think I would be inclined to double check...I might set up a trap...like leave some money around or even some more makeup and see if it goes again.....if it did then Id confront her....id only confront if I was absolutely 100 per cent.

or you could ask her if she can remember seeing what you did with the makeup and if she can recall where you put it....cos you put it down somewhere and for the life of you cant remember where you put it.....her face may then read GUILTY.....you could then add 'oh perhaps I chucked it after all...i was thinking of chucking it cos I had a bit of conjunctivitis! '

and if she works for your husband...hope he's got a beady eye out!

Hope you get it sorted x

OMG!! what a theif!! I say bin her from both jobs straight away!

they say "a leopard never changes her spots", I think I would be on the money that if she has taken from you at home, which is soooooo personal, the question is what has she taken from the pub????? Whatever happened to treat others as you would like to be treated.

I would send her a Thank you note for the babysitting she has done and that her services are no longer required. She will probably ring and ask you to explain. I would say "my situation has changed", don't let on why as she will deny anyway and it is not worth the arguement.
Mind you I would be looking very closely at her performance at the Pub, and when she slips up ensure you have the evidence to confront her, theft here in NZ is instant dismissal. You do not want a bad egg, it does not serve you or your business well.

Sack her immediately.
Hopefully next time you can find someone trustworthy xx

If I was you Laura I would take her to one side and confront her straight away, give her the choice to replace the items within a time limit or you shall be reporting her to the police for....theft!! Hit the problem face on with no messing about, hopefully that will scare her into replacing your items which will then prove she stole them in the first place....then sack her!!!

Who's to say the cheeky mare has not had her hand in the...till!!!

Sort it and get rid...hun!!!

xxxxxxx

I had a Tiffany necklace go missing once and I am absolutely sure it was my then boyfriend's ex-wife, when she came to collect the kids. You cannot trust anyone! When I was married a lot of jewellery went missing and with hindsight I'm sure it was my husband selling it in the pub for money for booze. It really hurts but I try to think of it like a love affair, can't think of the right words at the mo, but if goes away, it was never really mine(?) Years ago one of my sisters used to steal from me regularly, my best undies, Chanel perfume, even some kitchen scales LOL. It was pure jealousy.

Nowadays I'm not at all materialistic so I find it a lot easier to let things go, and I also find myself feeling sorry for the perpetrators! They need help LOL!

I would sack her, but first I'd lay a trap for revenge, I would hide everything, sentimental or valuble out of the way, and maybe as she likes the pampering items, I would contaminate them with something not plesant lol, tell her you need her for a short period of time, so she knows she cant waste time and hopefully she will go for the horrible contaminated items, alternativly, get everything watermarked with the police, its like a DNA system and is quite cheap in comparisson to items stolen.
Even if you get a new babysitter, who's to say that she wont do the same ?? :hug:

Please go on lol contaminate something, maybe with a strong dye ? and if she takes them, confront her after you know that she has probably used them, and let her know then, Good luck x

if you don't want to ask her straight out if she has been stealing from you, then do it this way...

the next time you see her then say that you have lost your lip gloss, eyeliner and st tropez and ask her where she got hers from and how much they were, because a mutual friend has told you that she also has the exact ones.

that way you will be able to see her squirm and see her look guilty...then say to her "look, i know that you the ones you have are mine as you have said to others that you took them...the cost of them will be taken out of your wages and don't let the door slam you on the arse on the way out honey."

if she starts to protest then calmly say that the police will have to be involved as any theft on your premises has to be reported for insurance purposes, and that the cctv footage will be passed on to them...even though you don't have any. :wink2:

and if you can't bring yourself to speak to her, then send her a letter by recorded delivery and make copies of what you have sent.

if you haven't told your hubby then do so, and i'm sure that he will also back you up and sack her.

some people are soooooo stupid...if you are going to pinch something, the last thing you do is brag about it! :lol:

good luck. :hug:

jue xx

Latest posts

Back